Unleashing Creative Expression
This is our vision at RPI…… and our award-winning product design, innovative technology and just-in-time manufacturing makes us a leading producer of personalized consumer products like photo books, greeting cards and stationery products for mass and specialty retailers like Walmart, Tinyprints and Café Press to name just a few.
We’re located just south of SODO where there’s free parking, casual dress and a creative, collaborative and passionate group of employees working in a fast paced environment delivering results and making it fun!
Senior Product Engineer
As the Senior Product Engineer, you are responsible for development of new products including the design and implementation of manufacturing specifications and processes to ensure repeatable, scalable high quality production. You will drive continuous improvement and quality management to improve process yield, throughput, cost, safety, and cycle time as required to support the needs of the business.
In this role you will:
- Project manage large complex, large scale projects to meet aggressive timelines, manage costs, achieve company strategic objectives.
- Mentor a small team of continuous improvement specialists and manufacturing/pre-press engineers.
- Manage overall development of print products to meet design requirements as specified by the Product Manager and manufacturing requirements for scalable, repeatable high volume manufacturing
- Ensure that accurate and controlled specifications are generated for new product designs and manufacturing processes
- Design and implement manufacturing and warehouse processes and controls including work center layout, equipment selection, installation, training and optimization
- Develop and implement operational metrics to measure key value drivers such as labor and machine efficiency, downtime and fall off
- Drive continuous improvement projects related to yield, cost reduction, capacity and throughput efficiency, inventory accuracy, and safety
- Apply root cause analysis, process control to improved quality including facilitate supplier improvements with the supply team.
- Troubleshoot equipment/process problems to root cause, implement permanent solutions to prevent recurrence of the problem(s)
- Facilitate design and manage layout changes in production and materials areas to improve work flow and efficiency and accommodate new process capability, machines as required
- Perform process characterizations, qualifications, and validations
- Provide direct technical support to the production and material handling teams as required to meet business goals
Required background includes:
- Engineering degree, mechanical, manufacturing engineering or design-related preferable
- 10+ years in engineering product development including 5 years in project management with escalating responsibility in scale, budget, and impact
- PMP preferred
- 5+ years in print operations strongly preferred
- Experience in print operations required, digital print strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of paper properties and technical characteristics and various bindery equipment and operations
- Proven success managing product development process from design through release required in collaborative team environment to meet product requirements.
- Proven experience with manufacturing specification and document control processes strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Statistical methods, including SPC and DOE desired
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality management and supplier quality tracking for preventive and corrective action preferred
- Extensive experience with lean manufacturing principles and practices strongly preferred
- Hands on knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems in a high volume on demand print environment preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Proficient in Adobe InDesign application
- Experience in equipment selection process to solicit and review bids, outline requirements and evaluate technical capability for suitability and use
- Proven ability to perform process and equipment validations
- Experience with CAD systems preferred (Packaging Design, Merchandising Design)
- Technical training in print preferred
- Results Oriented, Effective Interpersonal Ability, Adaptable to Change and Innovative!