Rackspace Employee Reviews

Bright Future Overshadowed By Nationalist Culture
Business Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 21, 2017
I intended to make a career at RAX but the right-wing culture and confusion over ownership/leadership made it impossible to remain cohesive with the team and vision.
Pros
Customer Travel
Cons
Nationalist Culture
Great Sales Trips
Account Executive - SaaS & Hosting Services (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2017
Account Executive – SaaS & Hosting Services
 Presented Cloud and managed hosting sales presentations via WebEx and onsite to C-level clients across the United States, India, and Australia
 Closed the largest acquisition deal for goal.com TCV, valued at more than $300,000
 Won Rack Star sales award on three occasions
Things have changed since buyout....
Datacenter Operations Technician II (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILAugust 13, 2017
Not sure what direction the company is going in anymore since buyout. And lack of raises and removal of quarterly bonuses has changed the moral a lot.......
Pros
Relax dress attire
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities at the DCs..
Loved my time there
Datacenter Technician (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXAugust 8, 2017
Loved working for Rackspace when I was there, but things changed after I left and from what I heard, for the worse. Culture was fantastic while I was there though.
Pros
culture, great culture
Cons
extinct industry
Great place to work, but maybe not grow...
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 3, 2017
I love the Rackspace culture, being a Racker, and going to work everyday. No real defined paths for employee development or promote-ability though. Hardest part of the job was not satisfying clients, learning new product knowledge, or crafting ideal solutions. Hardest part of the job was navigating the internal processes to implement these solutions.

Great job to hone your sales, presentation, and communication skills.

I love that everyone works hard and takes pride in being called a Racker.
Pros
Fun, relaxed atmosphere to succeed in
Cons
No real guidance or direction to further career within company
Startup culture and politics
Scrum Master/Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2017
A good place to work but the company still has a start-up culture. The upside is there is no micro-management but the work load is stressfully high.
Enjoyable work environment
used to be great
Strategic Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2017
I drank the Kool-aid when i was hired. Good product. Horrible management. Senior management would rather listen to analysts more than front line reps. Direct managers want to old you back so you dont leap frog them.

Not a good company to work for anymore.
Productive Environment
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 13, 2017
Best place to work , great team and environment , Different events going on all the time , training and new technologies introduced to the employees , open space and peace of mind. Don't forget to join the gym in break time.
Good Place to Work
Sr. SQL Server DBA (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 12, 2017
Its a Great Place to work for, Good Enivronment, Can Learn New Things.
Good Management and Excellent work Place Culture. Friendly Colleagues.
I Recommend It
Good People and Culture
Sr Manager, Marketing Operations & Reporting (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 11, 2017
Good People and Culture. With an ever shifting industry there is ample opportunity to move up or find your next role within the company. Benefits are good and they treat their employees right.
Weird culture
Finance (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 28, 2017
Company is a good place to work if you enjoy no structure. Management is too top heavy. There are a lot of "tenured" employees who are protected and spend their time justifying their own pay.
Rackspace is Pretty Legit...
Customer Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 28, 2017
If you drink and accept the koolaid! Important to note here as many people immediately go into comparing this to other companies and other workplace cultures. This place is definitely a great spot to be at assuming you and your team and management get alone well. Love it here.
Very dynamic and fast pace environment. Anticipate constant changes.
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2017
Very dynamic and fast pace environment. Anticipate constant changes. There is no structure and no procedures for any processes. Systems are completely disaggregated.
Productive fun place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 18, 2017
Great company. People make it really easy to collaborate and learn from each other. Fast paced environment and you must be ready for anything. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers achieve their goals.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 16, 2017
It was an awesome place to work. Family enviroment, fast paced so days seem to fly by. Wish I could have stayed. Benefits are awesome and they give lots of paid time off.
Pros
benefits, paid time off, quarterly outings
Fun work place with amazing coworkers
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin TexasJune 15, 2017
My typical day at Rackspace included going through KPIs for clients and handling any escalation that arose.

I learned a great deal at Rackspace as it was my first Technical job. I learned how to interact with clients over phones and in person visits. It taught me a lot of my project management skills i have still obtain today.

Culture at Rackspace was next to none. Very relaxed and very approachable coworkers. Everyone acted like one big family.

The hardest part of my job was knowing that my skills were not being compensated by pay.
Stressful and disorganized
Linux Administrator I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 2, 2017
The company itself has a persona and reputation that seems compelling, but that doesn't extend to the night shift. Night shift is consistently understaffed and overworked. Constantly stressed and rules have been quickly changing the entire time I've been there with the majority of communication being through random emails that may or may not actually make it to everyone. Benefits are pretty good, but management seems to have the idea that they can just throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks. The company keeps going through the same cycle of ideas hoping that this time the strategy will work with a couple tweaks. When a good idea actually gets implemented, the people who work on it move on and do not get replaced.

Co-workers are sometimes knowledgeable, but a general lack of training prevents a majority of people from having a good path to move up through. Learning is expected to be on-the-job, but minimal time or documentation is provided to learn from/during(Recently there have been efforts to fix this, but managers have been co-opting this time for work tasks). Nearly ALL knowledge at this job is tribal, meaning that you find out everything from asking someone else. There is an internal wiki that is getting better, but it is so disorganized that it can be unsearchable at times.
Pros
Decent vacation time, Good benefits, some knowledgeable co-workers
Cons
Stressful, disorganized, moving up is difficult
Great Company
Azure Build Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 31, 2017
Enjoy most everything about the company. Lots hours but I enjoy the creation of new process and freedom to develop as needed to improve efficiencies.
No clear direction and group think prevents progress
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2017
Rackspace culture is one of group decision making so nothing really gets done and progress stalls. No one on my team was truly responsible for anything so just about everyone pointed fingers... and point fingers they did. Not enough people took responsibility or ownership of results.

I did, however, meet some great people at Rackspace who I will be friends with forever. Most of them have left Rackspace and the ones that are still there are looking at other opportunities.

The senior leadership team lacks the vision to make significant progress judged by the fact that they completely missed the cloud hosting movement and got steamrolled by AWS and then later Azure. As such, they are in MSU (Making S__t Up) mode and haven't figured out how to build a truly great, sustainable company that employees love.

Too many employees on my team were castle builders and job protectors and thus failed to think about the larger strategic picture of how to make great progress for the company. They only seemed to think about how they could protect their claim and how they could make great progress up the ladder, regardless of who they stepped on. People generally stayed in their lanes and just about anytime someone tried to do something outside-of-the-box or they swerved into another lane, with a great idea, they get slammed down.

And worst, the management team is pretty clueless and they do not see the disdain that many employees have for the company nor do they see this truly dysfunctional environment. As such, many of the employees don't care and just collect their paycheck. Many
  more... of the employees on my team lacked the foresight or authority to build great products.

Because of all of these reasons and more, the company continues to go in circles and can't figure out how to keep pace or even get ahead for that matter.

Other than this it is a fine place to work :).

In my opinion, if senior management would create a culture of building great products for great markets and then get out of the way, the growth would come. They would also need to get out and talk to the employees one-on-one, without fear of recourse, to uncover and cure this dysfunctional environment, which everyone, on the surface, pretends doesn't exist.
Wish I never left
Windows Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 24, 2017
My time at Rackspace was fantastic. I learned something new everyday and genuinely felt appreciated. Leaving Rackspace was one of the worst decisions I have ever made
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
When publicly traded the stock holders definitely came first

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rackspace. Our community is ready to answer.