Rackspace Employee Reviews

Wish I never left
Windows Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 24, 2017
My time at Rackspace was fantastic. I learned something new everyday and genuinely felt appreciated. Leaving Rackspace was one of the worst decisions I have ever made
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
When publicly traded the stock holders definitely came first
People who care
Linux Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2017
The people who I worked with at Rackspace are all top notch professionals. My co-workers knew how to have fun, work hard and they are all trustworthy individuals.
Pros
Treated like a human
Cons
Large Company
No Longer a Great Place to Work
Quality Engineer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2017
Rackspace became a private company in late 2016, and the investment firm that bought it has embarked on some drastic cost-cutting measures.
While I was there, management began layoffs, and cutting back on employee friendly behaviors.
Rackspace
Guest Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 16, 2017
Rackspace is a great place to work if you are in the sales and IT field. A typical day at work is very relaxed and low pressure. The hardest part of my job is reporting to a person that does not know how to do my job. My most enjoyable part of the day is assisting guests.
Pros
Excellent Benefits Package
Cons
Recent layoffs is allowing unstable changes in management
Fast Paced, Balanced and Challenging
Event Planny (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 16, 2017
Rackspace allows you to be your best self every single day. If you don't want to come to work and contribute, then this is not the place for you. It's a safe environment to fail and grow with encouraging colleagues that lift you up and support you.
Pros
Food trucks, free coffee, slide, 24 volunteer hours, team outings
Awesome workplace with lots of fun
Sr Java Developer / Web Developer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2017
Awesome culture like google. no restriction on dress code. lots of events take place including fun and others.Free Lunch sometimes, Great place to learn about servers
Pros
Free Lunch sometimes, Great place to learn about servers.
Cons
Less job security
Going Downhill Fast
Lead Generator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 11, 2017
The culture has changed went way down hill over the last few years. Management jumping ship. Promotions are based on who you know not your work ethic. Great Benefits and work life balance though.
Losing the original culture that made them great
UI/ UX Designer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2017
Rackspace was a great place to work but the original culture is slipping away. They lost a lot of talented Rackers the past 2 years. They are slowly turning into a support only company that will leverage 3rd party software instead of developing software.
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Career paths. Hard to move up.
Outstanding Place to Work and Lead
Network Security Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 1, 2017
Rackspace offers a great leadership culture; leaders are given opportunities to develop and grow. That said, that same freedom that I love most about the company has given opportunity for some leaders to grow less slowly or to create a caustic culture in their organizations, which has gone unchecked until recently. Rackspace and Taylor have had to make some hard decisions to ensure the future sustainability of the company, but they've been the right ones and they've managed them with the most dignity and respect possible. I love the company and have the greatest outlook for its future.
Good Company
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 27, 2017
Overall good company - good work life balance and laid back environment. I would recommend to someone who would like to work in a more care free environment
Very good company to work in USA
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2017
I have enjoyed my tenure of working with Racksapce as a Senior Java Developer. This company is very much employer friendly and got good opportunity to expose my skills.
Lost Direction
Enterprise Accounte Executive/Manager/Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2017
Your peers at Rackspace are great, and management does a great job of promoting a family environment. However, senior leadership has lost its direction, and the company is struggling in a more competitive landscape.
Great Facility, Poor Managment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2017
Since being bought out at the end of 2016, Rackspace has been solely focused on saving money at any cost. There have been massive layoffs with probably more to come, and there is no money available for promotions or merit increases.
Great culture and people, but lacks in structure.
Level 3 Windows Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2017
My favorite things about this company are the employees and managers, they are fantastic. There isn't much micro-management from my experience, and the facilities are excellent. My frustrations stemmed from the constant influx of workload which could be automated instead of manually repeated and the mess of various tools techs had to utilize on a daily basis for various tasks. Since each department functions independently, it appears that they found a tool or several tools to satisfy their needs which didn't take into account the fact that separate teams would need to utilize them as well. Overall a nice workplace but could definitely use some improvements.
Once Great, Now a Husk of What Was
NetSec Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2017
I worked for Rackspace for over 3 years in Network Security. The 'culture' they sell to convince candidates to live in San Antonio and accept below-market compensation is gone. The 'Core Values' no longer reflect the actual environment. Middle management is bloated (the recent layoffs may be thinning this somewhat), inconsistent in direction, and ineffective. Network support staff, oddly, is a barely tolerated expense. Support is grossly understaffed and insufficiently equipped by internal systems and tools, underpaid, and positions are not backfilled.
Pros
Time off is still OK (although being reduced)
Cons
Despite claims, this is just another 'Initech'
Through the eyes of a dedicated 5 year Racker
"Cloud Virtualization Engineer" (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2017
Overall rating: I gave it 4 stars because it's overall a great place to work, depending on where you're at with your skillset and ammount of drive/aspirations/determination to exceed, that you have personally.
Job Work/Life Balance: If you're like me you want to learn as much as you can about something and go onto the next thing but, this creates a work/life imbalance if you're not careful!
Compensation/Benefits: They pay you enough to keep "how much you make" off of your mind. However, they have been known to have a really strange philosophy on how they pay/compensate thier employees.
Job Security/Advancement: The sky is the limit, if you are good at your job and know the right people.
Management: In my opinion, their choice of who is placed into management from the top on down, has been to their detriment.
Job Culture: This is what makes Rackspace "Rackspace", up until around 2013. Which is when I feel like things changed but, not for the better.
Pros
Everything but the...
Times are Changing
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 10, 2017
I worked for Rackspace for 9 1/2 years before being let go in a large round of layoffs. Through this time I saw the company change from where it was all about to support, to just going through the motions. I watched as customers were always placed first to a company that started to focus on the bottom line. The employees were outstanding, but leadership became who you know, and not focused on skill sets, which lead to disastrous results.
Pros
front line rackers. ability to advance
Cons
upper management. metic based system that didn't consider customer impact.
Great company!
Software Development Engineer in Test (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 5, 2017
Rackspace is a beautifully hearted company! It's truly a family here, all employees come together during a series of events and we get the chance to celebrate our work in unity. It's a beautiful feeling.
Family away from home
Implementation Coordinator IV (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2017
The employees are what make Rackspace so great. Sure it is awesome to have a culture where we can play hard and work hard with good benefits, but the people we work with are like family. Everyone treats each other like family and is there to step it up when you need them personally or professionally.
Pros
benifits, team outings, training, fun work environment
Cons
little to no privacy when on calls, very stressful around end of month and deadline, there tends to be a hug gap between sales teams and support teams.
Fast paced
Director, Strategic Operations (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2017
Rackspace is a fast paced environment where you are surrounded by smart people. Frequent changes in corporate strategy have led to slower growth and more complex operational issues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rackspace. Our community is ready to answer.