Rackspace Employee Reviews

Productive fun place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 18, 2017
Great company. People make it really easy to collaborate and learn from each other. Fast paced environment and you must be ready for anything. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers achieve their goals.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 16, 2017
It was an awesome place to work. Family enviroment, fast paced so days seem to fly by. Wish I could have stayed. Benefits are awesome and they give lots of paid time off.
Pros
benefits, paid time off, quarterly outings
Fun work place with amazing coworkers
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin TexasJune 15, 2017
My typical day at Rackspace included going through KPIs for clients and handling any escalation that arose.

I learned a great deal at Rackspace as it was my first Technical job. I learned how to interact with clients over phones and in person visits. It taught me a lot of my project management skills i have still obtain today.

Culture at Rackspace was next to none. Very relaxed and very approachable coworkers. Everyone acted like one big family.

The hardest part of my job was knowing that my skills were not being compensated by pay.
Stressful and disorganized
Linux Administrator I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 2, 2017
The company itself has a persona and reputation that seems compelling, but that doesn't extend to the night shift. Night shift is consistently understaffed and overworked. Constantly stressed and rules have been quickly changing the entire time I've been there with the majority of communication being through random emails that may or may not actually make it to everyone. Benefits are pretty good, but management seems to have the idea that they can just throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks. The company keeps going through the same cycle of ideas hoping that this time the strategy will work with a couple tweaks. When a good idea actually gets implemented, the people who work on it move on and do not get replaced.

Co-workers are sometimes knowledgeable, but a general lack of training prevents a majority of people from having a good path to move up through. Learning is expected to be on-the-job, but minimal time or documentation is provided to learn from/during(Recently there have been efforts to fix this, but managers have been co-opting this time for work tasks). Nearly ALL knowledge at this job is tribal, meaning that you find out everything from asking someone else. There is an internal wiki that is getting better, but it is so disorganized that it can be unsearchable at times.
Pros
Decent vacation time, Good benefits, some knowledgeable co-workers
Cons
Stressful, disorganized, moving up is difficult
Great Company
Azure Build Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 31, 2017
Enjoy most everything about the company. Lots hours but I enjoy the creation of new process and freedom to develop as needed to improve efficiencies.
No clear direction and group think prevents progress
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2017
Rackspace culture is one of group decision making so nothing really gets done and progress stalls. No one on my team was truly responsible for anything so just about everyone pointed fingers... and point fingers they did. Not enough people took responsibility or ownership of results.

I did, however, meet some great people at Rackspace who I will be friends with forever. Most of them have left Rackspace and the ones that are still there are looking at other opportunities.

The senior leadership team lacks the vision to make significant progress judged by the fact that they completely missed the cloud hosting movement and got steamrolled by AWS and then later Azure. As such, they are in MSU (Making S__t Up) mode and haven't figured out how to build a truly great, sustainable company that employees love.

Too many employees on my team were castle builders and job protectors and thus failed to think about the larger strategic picture of how to make great progress for the company. They only seemed to think about how they could protect their claim and how they could make great progress up the ladder, regardless of who they stepped on. People generally stayed in their lanes and just about anytime someone tried to do something outside-of-the-box or they swerved into another lane, with a great idea, they get slammed down.

And worst, the management team is pretty clueless and they do not see the disdain that many employees have for the company nor do they see this truly dysfunctional environment. As such, many of the employees don't care and just collect their paycheck. Many
  more... of the employees on my team lacked the foresight or authority to build great products.

Because of all of these reasons and more, the company continues to go in circles and can't figure out how to keep pace or even get ahead for that matter.

Other than this it is a fine place to work :).

In my opinion, if senior management would create a culture of building great products for great markets and then get out of the way, the growth would come. They would also need to get out and talk to the employees one-on-one, without fear of recourse, to uncover and cure this dysfunctional environment, which everyone, on the surface, pretends doesn't exist.
Wish I never left
Windows Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 24, 2017
My time at Rackspace was fantastic. I learned something new everyday and genuinely felt appreciated. Leaving Rackspace was one of the worst decisions I have ever made
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
When publicly traded the stock holders definitely came first
People who care
Linux Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2017
The people who I worked with at Rackspace are all top notch professionals. My co-workers knew how to have fun, work hard and they are all trustworthy individuals.
Pros
Treated like a human
Cons
Large Company
No Longer a Great Place to Work
Quality Engineer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2017
Rackspace became a private company in late 2016, and the investment firm that bought it has embarked on some drastic cost-cutting measures.
While I was there, management began layoffs, and cutting back on employee friendly behaviors.
Rackspace
Guest Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 16, 2017
Rackspace is a great place to work if you are in the sales and IT field. A typical day at work is very relaxed and low pressure. The hardest part of my job is reporting to a person that does not know how to do my job. My most enjoyable part of the day is assisting guests.
Pros
Excellent Benefits Package
Cons
Recent layoffs is allowing unstable changes in management
Fast Paced, Balanced and Challenging
Event Planny (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 16, 2017
Rackspace allows you to be your best self every single day. If you don't want to come to work and contribute, then this is not the place for you. It's a safe environment to fail and grow with encouraging colleagues that lift you up and support you.
Pros
Food trucks, free coffee, slide, 24 volunteer hours, team outings
Awesome workplace with lots of fun
Sr Java Developer / Web Developer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2017
Awesome culture like google. no restriction on dress code. lots of events take place including fun and others.Free Lunch sometimes, Great place to learn about servers
Pros
Free Lunch sometimes, Great place to learn about servers.
Cons
Less job security
Going Downhill Fast
Lead Generator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 11, 2017
The culture has changed went way down hill over the last few years. Management jumping ship. Promotions are based on who you know not your work ethic. Great Benefits and work life balance though.
Losing the original culture that made them great
UI/ UX Designer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2017
Rackspace was a great place to work but the original culture is slipping away. They lost a lot of talented Rackers the past 2 years. They are slowly turning into a support only company that will leverage 3rd party software instead of developing software.
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Career paths. Hard to move up.
Outstanding Place to Work and Lead
Network Security Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 1, 2017
Rackspace offers a great leadership culture; leaders are given opportunities to develop and grow. That said, that same freedom that I love most about the company has given opportunity for some leaders to grow less slowly or to create a caustic culture in their organizations, which has gone unchecked until recently. Rackspace and Taylor have had to make some hard decisions to ensure the future sustainability of the company, but they've been the right ones and they've managed them with the most dignity and respect possible. I love the company and have the greatest outlook for its future.
Good Company
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 27, 2017
Overall good company - good work life balance and laid back environment. I would recommend to someone who would like to work in a more care free environment
Very good company to work in USA
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2017
I have enjoyed my tenure of working with Racksapce as a Senior Java Developer. This company is very much employer friendly and got good opportunity to expose my skills.
Lost Direction
Enterprise Accounte Executive/Manager/Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2017
Your peers at Rackspace are great, and management does a great job of promoting a family environment. However, senior leadership has lost its direction, and the company is struggling in a more competitive landscape.
Great Facility, Poor Managment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2017
Since being bought out at the end of 2016, Rackspace has been solely focused on saving money at any cost. There have been massive layoffs with probably more to come, and there is no money available for promotions or merit increases.
Great culture and people, but lacks in structure.
Level 3 Windows Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2017
My favorite things about this company are the employees and managers, they are fantastic. There isn't much micro-management from my experience, and the facilities are excellent. My frustrations stemmed from the constant influx of workload which could be automated instead of manually repeated and the mess of various tools techs had to utilize on a daily basis for various tasks. Since each department functions independently, it appears that they found a tool or several tools to satisfy their needs which didn't take into account the fact that separate teams would need to utilize them as well. Overall a nice workplace but could definitely use some improvements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rackspace. Our community is ready to answer.