Rackspace Employee Reviews

Dynamic workplace environment
Global Workplace Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 26, 2016
Rackspace is a great place to work for anyone that is able to go with the flow and roll with the punches. Changes come quick and often. Rackers were usually helpful and team-oriented. Overall, my time at the company was a positivie experience.
Not Conducive to Sales
Business Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 10, 2016
This organization has no sales structure, they believe that services will sell themselves. The hardest part of the job is to get everyone other than sales to row in the same direction.
Relaxing work at home
Software Engineering, Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2016
Web app development adding features with a cool team of guys. Pretty laid back boss and had room for advancement to work on harder parts of the project.
I had the Best of the best in Knowledge and fun
Level 1 Tech (Former Employee) –  Enterprise, TXOctober 24, 2016
I only wish that I could have had the opportunity to truly contribute more. I may have been my own stopping point as I was not able to keep up with the fire hose pace. I would a second opportunity to try again.
Pros
A sea of Knowledge
Cons
A sea of Knowledge
People at the job are like family
Account Manager II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 5, 2016
It is a great place to work at and your co-workers become your family. I don't hold the management team very high but, the teams you work with all work together and make sure everyone is successful.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
too many managers
Rackspace Work culture
Business Analyst III/ Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 7, 2016
1. Good workplace culture
2. Nice work life balance
3. Decent employee benefits
4. Management Politics

I worked at Rackspacce full-time (More than 3 years)
Pros
Love the culture and work-life balance.
Cons
Not much vertical growth, more of lateral movement.
Advice to Management
Give everyone their fair share of grade in their annual review. Don't just use the bell curve - if everyone exceeds the expectation, then give that to everyone.
Flag as Inappropriate Flag as Inappropriate
Proud to be a Racker
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  CastleAugust 3, 2016
Rackspace is a great company to work for. They were straying from their Core Values for a while, but they are starting to come back around. On my team there was a great work/life balance. While I'm no longer a Racker, I would love to be one again if the right opportunity comes along.
Pros
Work/life balance, very casual dress code, pleasant coworkers
Cons
Medical deductibles are a bit high
Terrible place to work at
Linux System Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 20, 2016
I have worked here for 3 years and I have to admit it is the worst place to work at. I personally know that there have been several contracts that we work with as in clients that we have that have been hacked into thier accounts and the company has not even report it to the clients. We have had an accounting firm that was hacked and thier company was not the first. To me this is still useless if we do not help our clients then what are we here for.
Nice then ok
Technical Account Manager / Linux Tech (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 6, 2016
Great internships here! Employees were very welcoming and warm. Pay was great and really promoted us to work hard.Typical day at work was always new and changing, something new was happening every day. CEO is great and all the other managers are inspiring.
Be very careful
Windows Administrator / Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 6, 2016
After spending nearly 3 years here, I would be EXTREMELY wary of the management in place. Additionally, they very rarely inform customers of hacks, breaches and security lapses.

Promotions are purely on a favorites basis and the process has little to do with actual job performance or knowledge. In summary, this is a great springboard but a terrible career (unless you have buddies or family who are higher ups).
Pros
Great experience, diverse problems, rapid growth
Cons
Forget getting promoted, your boss will be worthless and the pay is hilariously low.
Windows Admin
Windows Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 28, 2016
I really enjoyed the work environment before the current CEO took over. They have really changed the atmosphere there. It is no longer a fun place to work.

The current CEO doesn't seem to have a clear idea of where to take the company or where it is headed. Keeps trying to do a little bit of everything instead of focusing on what Rackspace does well.
Running with Rackspace
Network Security Admin (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2016
I have had the pleasure of working with Rackspace for a little more than a year now. I can firmly say that I am spending my time loving what I do, everyday. I have a great team. The company encourages great team building and culture maintenance. I wish other companies could take a step back and imitate Rackspace more.

I find the most enjoyable part of my day learning from other Rackers (fellow coworkers). This never stops and everyone is welcoming and encouraging. I love that management is concerned with critiques and evaluates the best way to proceed. Consistency is applied daily. The interaction with customers encourages them to open dialogue when searching for the best solution.

I will endorse Rackspace and continue to encourage others to come check out this fantastic company.
Pros
Time to learn
Rackspace is an opportunity engine.
DevOps Engineer I/DevOps Support Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 8, 2016
Easily the best place I've ever worked. Some of the most intelligent people I've known I met at Rackspace.

I don't have time to type a lot more, just let me move forward review form.
Pros
Flexibility and freedom
Cons
Lack of structure can become frustrating at times. Few opportunities for software developers, as it is a hosting company.
A Shadow of its Former Self
Managed Backup / System Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 30, 2016
The Rackspace that hired me isn't in any way, aside from name, the Rackspace that fired me. (This was even admitted by Human Resources during my exit). "Fanatical Support" USED to exist, it no longer does; not at Rackspace. It has been nothing more than a corporate buzzword since early 2015. The very essence of their "fanatical support", was, by the CEO-at-the-time's own admission, the "Rackers" (employees) themselves. When the majority of your "special sauce" has either been canned for questionable reasons or left of their own volition, you have to start wondering if Rackspace actually has anything at all left to offer. Disgusting amounts of money are put into making the environment SEEM to be "fun", when in reality, the elaborate and expensive decorations are almost a thinly-veiled insult to those actually on the front lines, doing the heavy lifting. Management has become cattle-herding. Too many undeserving, under-qualified personnel moved up too far, too fast, and are a little too eager to crack the whip in order to move even further up the chain of command. They're completely aware of the dire situation that Rackspace is in and are taking complete advantage of it for the sake of adding another bullet point to their resumes. If the company continues in this current direction, I seriously doubt that they'll exist a year from now, and this deeply saddens me, because it used to be a fantastic company that actually lived their own core values.
Great company, great people, great culture
Channel Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2016
Love Rackspace, our culture is the best thing about the company. We treat each other like friends and family. There's great challenges ahead and the company is looking for new lines of revenue, placing large bets with support for AWS and Azure.
Pros
culture
Cons
nothing major I can think of
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 17, 2016
Fun place to work, casual setting
Coworkers are great for the most part
Understaffed at times, lots of work
Flexible
Some opportunity for growth
They don't regularly provide raises
This was a better place to work a few years ago
Awesome contract
Sr. Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Home-officeMay 14, 2016
I worked as a remote contract supporting teams in San Antonio, Austin and SF. I worked with some phenomenal team members that were a great support and had great communication with my manager, hiring managers and candidates. At times I wish I was onsite to speak directly to candidates in person, however it still worked out very well.

I most enjoyed the lack of egos. It was a collaborative spirit, let's get the job done as a team.
Productive and fun workplace
QA Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2016
One of the best things about working at Rackspace is the opportunity to work on really difficult problems alongside really smart people
Productive place to work.
Backup Administrator II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2016
Typical day included talking to customers, working tickets which included configuring/trouble shooting/restoring data using commvault software. I mostly enjoyed the troubleshooting the higher level work which included but not limited to Oracle, Exchange,MS SQL.
Corporatization has taken hold
Senior Linux Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 4, 2016
Gone is the Rackspace which has generated such positive racker engagement and fanaticism. The "new" Rackspace has embraced being "A big corporation" and has made massive changes in that direction.

Management has gone from being positive and talent based to bland "Office Space" style. That isn't great. The morale has been dropping with it and sadly there appears to be nothing more than doubling down on the processes and changes driving it. Dilbert cartoons on the walls have become far more common than they used to be.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Non-competitive pay, Office Space-like atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rackspace. Our community is ready to answer.