Rackspace

Rackspace Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Sales Manager (Former Employee), San AntonioJune 22, 2015
I enjoyed every opportunity I had at Rackspace. I started right out of college with little to no experience but was able to build on to my experiences at Rackspace through multiple career opportunities and advancements.
Good company
Linux System Administrator II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 21, 2015
Great company to work for in terms of growth as well as networking in the IT industry. Definitely recommend. Employees are compensated fairly, and Rackspace adjusts properly off-working hours.
You're not an admin, you're a tech support specialist
Linux Systems Admin II (Former Employee), Austin TXJune 21, 2015
Pros: training, knowledge, exposure to new tech
Cons: you are cattle
Wouldn't work there again. Enjoyed the training and the people. Culture was off kilter from policies. Not transparent and doesn't have full disclosure. Pays women lower salaries than men.
Incompetent middle management, no strategy, poor compensation
PM (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 17, 2015
Pros: A slide in the office
Cons: No management, no advancement, poor benefits, uncompetitive pay
Very large number of middle managers with very few reports. Constant change, unclear objectives and no clear direction. Some very good technical Rackers completely overridden by managers with no technical knowledge. Pay is a joke (about 20% below San Antonio average) and opportunities for advancement don't exist. Clearly the company is waiting to be acquired.
Great Company
Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee), San Antonio TXJune 5, 2015
Pros: Culture
Cons: Sales
Rackspace is a great company to work for. I truly enjoyed my time here and would recommend working here to anybody. The culture and people are amazing. There are some true professionals with a friends and family attitude here.
Was a fun place to work
Tier 2&3 Desktop Support & PC Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2015
Pros: Good company
Cons: Company got sold and share holders got grettie and bad.
Every day was great to work at Rackspace when it was private own. Learn a lot of things with this company specially that it started in the UK. Management is great. Co-Workers are great people to work with there were the best A-Team I have ever had. The hardest part of the job was trying to do the rollover when they went from private to public and we needed to do the migration to the whole company. enjoyable part was that working with my co-workers as a great Team...
Takes a chance on inexperienced people, for better or worse...
Data Center Technician (Current Employee), Ashburn, VAMay 2, 2015
Pros: 25c vending machines, semi-regular team outings, freedom of self-expression, autonomy
Cons: Pay is significantly lower than average for the same work
Rackspace is a good company for someone new to the IT world to work for, but I wouldn't recommend it for seasoned professionals, as the pay scale is dramatically lower than almost any other company I've seen in the same field. I worked in a data center of theirs, which is a pretty small fraction of the big picture, but still enough to know the ins and outs. Management is very top-heavy as you'll probably – more... see in other reviews. Becoming mid-level management is based strictly on your social status in the various cliques, and little to do with anything else (like work ethic or merit). Overall though, there is a great deal of autonomy, which is ultimately what most people want at their jobs, so it's hard to slam it too much. I've used it as the launchpad into my IT career and will always be grateful for its place in my life. – less
Struggling to cross the chasm
Information Developer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Nice people, free snacks, flex hours
Cons: Enforced jollity, instability in management, lack of executable direction
Rackspace has come a long way, with many twists and turns. In 2014, serious thought was given to selling the company, but eventually it was decided against. They have a billionaire founder who helps keep things going. As a result, though, Rackspace is going through some major changes in culture and atmosphere.

The ever-present tendency to rush to market has not been left behind. Rackspace products, – more... therefore, tend to be of lower quality than their competitors'. "Fanatical Support," the Rackspace tagline, is what makes up for the products. There is clearly a market for Rackspace; Gartner just invented a new category, Managed Cloud, and put Rackspace first. But, it's an odd position for a tech company: the products are sub-par, which the savvy tech knows and the true value, Fanatical Support, is utterly disdained by tech experts. So it's a tech company that really caters to the non-technical. This makes it a bit of a conundrum for expert developers.

In personnel issues, Rackspace has always tried hard to be a supportive and embracing culture. Only time will tell if they can hold on to that in the face of "optimizations" that are needed now for them to survive. – less
Good place to get your feet wet in the IT world
Cloud Account Manager (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Free soda, Slide, cool interior design
Cons: no consistent traning, no clear direction
Rackspace is still a young company. With the recent changes, the mood of the company has also changed. It has the the usual company politics. You can't just be expected to come and work. They want to see you invest by improving your knowledge and be willing to constantly change when there is change.
Good Culture, Bad Everything Else
Network Security Administrator (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 6, 2015
Pros: Free Soda and Fruit
Cons: Poor Pay, Poor Promotion process
Very long process for advancement, advancement is not guaranteed.

Compensation is below market value

Good learning experience
Contract Worker
Lead Technical Writer/Editor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2015
Rackspace is okay. I would say that they have a lot of people there and most of them don't really work.

I love what I do but some of the employees there are wasteful and disrespectful of others.
Fun Workplace that promotes work life balance
Linux Systems Engineer II (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 23, 2015
Pros: gym, free beverages, good medical plan
At Rackspace you will work with some very talented and committed individuals.The culture at Rackspace is one that fosters great technical solutions.
Fun Productive Workspace
student IT internship (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 23, 2015
The motto is play hard and work harder. This is held to the highest respects where everyone there works hard on everything they do while still having time to have a Nerf war on occasion.
The safe choice
Customer Service Technician - Level III (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 1, 2015
Pros: lots of jobs to fill
Cons: many of the teams are short
If you are looking for a safe employment choice outside of USAA in San Antonio, I would say that Rackspace is a solid choice. The company as a whole has a low turn over. There are a lot of engagement activities provided during first shift. There are some low points like the social groups that seem to crop up. There some of the team leads tend to show favoritism to their friends that they went to college with. After the long number of years that I have put into the company I would say that if you can smile when you don't feel like it and present a positive attitude even when you don't want to then you will go far in this company.
Better than before
Data Center Engineer (Former Employee), Grapevine, TXFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: have upgraded facility
Cons: management wasn't very good, they were slow to upgrade.
They have upgraded, after many mishaps, and incorrect blame. The system looks like they have finally built out the generator system and are now a dual power source system.
Loved Rackspace
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee), TexasJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: people, culture, flexibility, customer support
Cons: sometime its ok to say no to a customer.
Best place I have ever worked. Loved the people and the culture. Really felt like I was working with my family.

I would go back to Rackspace in a heartbeat for the right opportunity.
Very relaxed place to work.
Intern (Former Employee), San AntonioDecember 15, 2014
Pros: not a high stress job.
Cons: no caffeteria, lunch was brought in and it was always the same.
Relaxed place to work that promoted team building skills and a great work environment.
Hit and miss
Customer Support Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 14, 2014
Depends on your team, great place to work. Experiences will differ.
Interesting People, Poor Mid Management
HR (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: free food often, flexible work environment
Cons: political, lack of career progression, immaturity
Rackspace attracts very interesting people, so I have found fascinating individuals. And I have worked with all kinds of different professionals, some great, some average.
The culture is very laid back, it is nice to be able to go to work in comfortable clothing, without make up, that is a nice thing. Nonetheless, it can also be very political, even socially immature. There's obvious favoritism, and only a few excel, as it is not based on merit but on relationships.
Some people take it like a cult, some are more relaxed. Landing with a good manager is key for happiness.
A great group of people
Technical Community Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 15, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my day was solving problems and getting things done with my team. We achieved a great deal in a short period of time and that I will always remember

1 2 3

About Rackspace

Rackspace is the #1 managed cloud company because we have what other commodity cloud companies can only dream of—Fanatical – Read more

Rackspace Salaries