Rackspace Employee Reviews in United States

Could be awesome but just average
Racker (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 6, 2015
Great company, but is brought down by a lot of the middle management and bureaucracy within it. Depending on your manager your experience could be amazing or terrible.
Pros
Neat technology, Smart coworkers
Cons
Middle Management, Salary
Fanatical is an understatement
Sr. Director - Product, Strategy & Engineering (Current Employee) –  San AntonioOctober 6, 2015
Southern good ole' boys club.. says it all. Very minimal ability to move up, no strategic direction and not operating rationally.
Productive and fun environment
Managed Operations - LINUX System Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 27, 2015
With plenty of help to grow and develop it's hard to beat this company. We get at least a month of training a year. You start with 28 days of vacation so essentially you work 10 months. Free drinks and often food. Teams are also given 2 days off a year for outings, taken in 1/2 or full days. Great people make great teams.
We work hard and play hard.
Pros
flexible hours and caring managers
world class customer service with the occasional boat outing
Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 21, 2015
Great environment with exceptional management. Perfect company to develop your talents and experience new opportunities.
Pros
Work from home and travel
Cons
work life balance can be challanged at times
LATAM Business Process Manager I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 9, 2015
Rackspace has awesome culture. It is definitely a friends and family type of environment. Sky is the limit at Rackspace you can definitely grow within the company.
Challenging Workplace mired in political infighting
Product Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 6, 2015
The company is a great place to work for if you want a challenge designing systems at scale. If you want to actually make progress and changes however the political infighting will drive you crazy.
Work/Life Balance needs improvement
Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TxSeptember 1, 2015
Overall, the leadership team was great. The amount of customers vs. employees was exponentially high though and all of the employees were being overworked and under paid, leading them to get burnt out.
Pros
fun colleagues
Cons
work/life balance. A lot of grey areas regarding support
Amazing culture and commitment to development
Head of Sales and Business Development - Digital (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 27, 2015
Rackspace is a great organization to start and grow your career. The biggest positive is the commitment to developing and growing talent.
Great company and amazing culture
Global Briefing Program Manager and Ambassador (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2015
We need more companies like Rackspace. They are not perfect, but it is certainly an amazing place to work. I am a promoter.
Good company, but fading culture
Managed Backup Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 10, 2015
Whn I came on board at Rackspace, I was extremely excited. The culture was amazing, management legitimately cared about the employees. The work was hard, but rewarding. I did a lot of overtime because there was a lot of work that needed to be done. Through my time there something changed, middle management. Many of the founding ideals that made the company great began to fall through. Transparency was non-existent, friends and family fell, as well as a few others. Staffing was cut in certain departments, mine included. However, my experience there is one that I will never forget. I enjoyed coming to work, never once did I get out of bed dreading the day ahead of me. I was excited to come in and work. Things may change, but this is still a great company to work for and I would recommend working here.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay, great environment, and good values
Cons
Middle Management
Great place to work!
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San AntonioJune 22, 2015
I enjoyed every opportunity I had at Rackspace. I started right out of college with little to no experience but was able to build on to my experiences at Rackspace through multiple career opportunities and advancements.
Good company
Linux System Administrator II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 21, 2015
Great company to work for in terms of growth as well as networking in the IT industry. Definitely recommend. Employees are compensated fairly, and Rackspace adjusts properly off-working hours.
You're not an admin, you're a tech support specialist
Linux Systems Admin II (Former Employee) –  Austin TXJune 21, 2015
Wouldn't work there again. Enjoyed the training and the people. Culture was off kilter from policies. Not transparent and doesn't have full disclosure. Pays women lower salaries than men.
Pros
training, knowledge, exposure to new tech
Cons
you are cattle
Incompetent middle management, no strategy, poor compensation
PM (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 17, 2015
Very large number of middle managers with very few reports. Constant change, unclear objectives and no clear direction. Some very good technical Rackers completely overridden by managers with no technical knowledge. Pay is a joke (about 20% below San Antonio average) and opportunities for advancement don't exist. Clearly the company is waiting to be acquired.
Pros
A slide in the office
Cons
No management, no advancement, poor benefits, uncompetitive pay
Great Company
Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio TXJune 5, 2015
Rackspace is a great company to work for. I truly enjoyed my time here and would recommend working here to anybody. The culture and people are amazing. There are some true professionals with a friends and family attitude here.
Pros
Cons
Sales
Was a fun place to work
Tier 2&3 Desktop Support & PC Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2015
Every day was great to work at Rackspace when it was private own. Learn a lot of things with this company specially that it started in the UK. Management is great. Co-Workers are great people to work with there were the best A-Team I have ever had. The hardest part of the job was trying to do the rollover when they went from private to public and we needed to do the migration to the whole company. enjoyable part was that working with my co-workers as a great Team...
Pros
Good company
Cons
Company got sold and share holders got grettie and bad.
Struggling to cross the chasm
Information Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 16, 2015
Rackspace has come a long way, with many twists and turns. In 2014, serious thought was given to selling the company, but eventually it was decided against. They have a billionaire founder who helps keep things going. As a result, though, Rackspace is going through some major changes in culture and atmosphere.

The ever-present tendency to rush to market has not been left behind. Rackspace products, therefore, tend to be of lower quality than their competitors'. "Fanatical Support," the Rackspace tagline, is what makes up for the products. There is clearly a market for Rackspace; Gartner just invented a new category, Managed Cloud, and put Rackspace first. But, it's an odd position for a tech company: the products are sub-par, which the savvy tech knows and the true value, Fanatical Support, is utterly disdained by tech experts. So it's a tech company that really caters to the non-technical. This makes it a bit of a conundrum for expert developers.

In personnel issues, Rackspace has always tried hard to be a supportive and embracing culture. Only time will tell if they can hold on to that in the face of "optimizations" that are needed now for them to survive.
Pros
Nice people, free snacks, flex hours
Cons
Enforced jollity, instability in management, lack of executable direction
Good place to get your feet wet in the IT world
Cloud Account Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2015
Rackspace is still a young company. With the recent changes, the mood of the company has also changed. It has the the usual company politics. You can't just be expected to come and work. They want to see you invest by improving your knowledge and be willing to constantly change when there is change.
Pros
Benefits, Free soda, Slide, cool interior design
Cons
no consistent traning, no clear direction
Good Culture, Bad Everything Else
Network Security Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2015
Very long process for advancement, advancement is not guaranteed.

Compensation is below market value

Good learning experience
Pros
Free Soda and Fruit
Cons
Poor Pay, Poor Promotion process
Contract Worker
Lead Technical Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2015
Rackspace is okay. I would say that they have a lot of people there and most of them don't really work.

I love what I do but some of the employees there are wasteful and disrespectful of others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rackspace. Our community is ready to answer.