RadioShack Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,572 reviews matching the search
First experience in retail industry
Manager of a nation-wide retail electronics store (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAMarch 16, 2016
This job was a great learning experience for me. Introduction to pressure sales was an adjustment for most employees. Growth opportunities were about average and performing at a higher level was also challenging. Career promotions often lacked supportive training and company suffered many top level executive changes and business model changes, causing trickle down effect of constantly changing expectations. Only one leader in my tenure saw the deficiency of manager's personal growth and focused much of his time teaching store managers about how to grow their assigned store and employees.
Pros
Good entry level sales opportunity, performanced based career advancement opportunities, extensive training from new employee to District Manager positions, paid vacations, sick days, commissions and bonus
Cons
high levels of stress to sell out of ones comfort zone, long hours during holiday season, poor pay scale.
Was once a great company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJanuary 28, 2016
I returned to this company after two years with another due to the enjoyment I got out of the position I had. Formerly Radio Shack was a fun place to work with monthly contests and incentives. They rewarded your work and I felt it was easy to move up. When I returned, the company held on to those values for the first couple years. When the CEO changed, the fun and rewarding atmosphere was replaced by the stresses of job insecurity and high pressure sales practices. The company was unwilling to spend money on the stores and employees resulting in unhappy employees and loss of sales. After terminating nearly all upper management and cutting benefits of lifelong employees, the stores closed quickly. The few that remain are not much more than Sprint stores with batteries.
Cons
low pay, job security declining, not many left
Pay Cuts and Job Security
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 6, 2016
Typical day was started with fronting store putting out sales tags for at-time current promotions. Coworkers were fun to be with made the days better, hardest part of the job was trying to close on time. most enjoyable part was being able to be successful and top 2 in the store. I hate the new compensation plan, micromanagement, lack leadership, revolving door upper management, consistency
Pros
Cons
Cons new compensation plan, micromanagement, lack leadership, revolving door upper management, consistency
I got to work and grow with lots of successful associates and management.
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  New Castle, PAMarch 17, 2016
I started 14+yrs ago as seasonal to make extra cash for the holidays and from there my love of electronics pulled me in to part time, full time, assistant and then manager. I have watched the evolution of electronics during one of the biggest booms;ranging from desktop to laptops and tablets and also bag phones to smart phones.

I have watched employees flow the same path as myself and helped them along the way.

The hardest part about working in electronics is not always being able to meet the customers needs.

The best part is each day is different with different challenges to overcome.

I am looking for new challenges at this point in my life.
Pros
associates, flexibilty, vacation time
One of my first Jobs
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PADecember 1, 2015
Radio Shack is going the way of the Dinosaur and no-one has told them. Most of their products are available online and at other retail chains for a faction of the cost. Being paid minimum wadge with the opportunity for commission in a low volume store that never makes profits does not equate to a livable wadge or opportunities for advancement. The crew making burgers at McDonald's get's paid better, have better benefits. I would not recommend anyone work in a Radio Shack retail store that is not in a high volume area otherwise they will spend their entire life at work and not earn enough to pay their rent
Pros
inside information on industry changes and new technology
Cons
Low pay, long hours, monthly meetings that require travel.
Good place to work temporarily, definitely not a career.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Very relaxed work environment. My personal store manager is amazing and very approachable. Corporate associates are daft and make terrible decisions. The new CEO is running the store into the ground, though it had great potential.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good benefits, good pay
Cons
The company as a whole is terribly run, no current advancement opportunities.
Not the worst
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 4, 2016
This is the job that gave me the foundation on which to build my ability to sell. They taught me how to ask for a sale, to ask open ended questions, and how to close. There was a high turn over rate so loyalty was highly praised. Overall it was a great first experience in sales.
Pros
competitive atmosphere
Cons
If it's a slow month, you'll make minimum wage since it's commission based
Horrible company to work for, that will soon be out of business...again.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 30, 2016
Radioshack prides itself on not giving a single iota of thought to its customer base or its employees. Most new employees can only get part time, as they've been cutting the hours at stores nationwide. The benefit of so many part time hires is that they don't have to spend as much money on you, as if giving you minimum wage wasn't enough. It was announced today that store hours were cut once again, so now managers either have to fire part-time/full time associates, or the aforementioned associates will have to seek new employment due to the massive cut in hours.

I've worked for the company for about 6 months, right after General Wireless took over, and I can safely say that with the horrid lack of upper management knowledge and constant shafting of its employees, this company will be out of business by Q3 this year. Do not work here if you want any sort of living wage. You'll just end up living on nothing...
Pros
Cons
Pay, upper management, lack of benefits, employee appreciation
Good hands-on sales person experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYJanuary 7, 2016
Arrive 5 minutes earlier than the scheduled shift to prepare to clock in. As you wait the 5 minutes and when your shift starts the manager and coworkers put you up to speed on the daily tasks and goals. The team collectively takes accountability for anything that happens on the job when they're present, which shows their morals. Hardest part of the job is dealing with management and higher entities for whatever situation. But the most enjoyable part is the flexibility of hours and a good team If you're lucky.
Pros
Being part of a team with good people
Cons
Process for growth and promotion is exremely slow
Fun,active environment with many opportunites
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bergenfield, NJMarch 29, 2016
Pros
work environment, Customers, Experiences, fun and competetive
Cons
Very good place where to learn the profitability of a business
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXMarch 16, 2016
Fun environment for a workplace. Store culture is the best. Yet there is a lot of work to be done on the corporate level. Bankruptcy and new owners have led to the downsizing of store personnel and making the store manager having to do a full timer, part timer, and manager duties all in one with minimal compensation.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Not enough hours to have store covered
Great Store Fronts, Corporate Mess
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Twp. PAJanuary 25, 2016
Stores were mostly dead, the occasional tinkerer would stop by.
When there were sales it was a very cut-throat enviroment, every transaction required capitalizing on. Store management was strict by beyond that, after the bankruptcy management from corporate came to a complete hault. The team I worked with was fantastic, I wish I could say that for the whole company. Long days, opening and closing the store alone was rough.
Pros
Great employee discounts
Cons
Short breaks
For the competitve sales person, the $$ is there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXNovember 2, 2015
I've been employed with Radio Shack on two separate occasions. The first time I worked for them, I enjoyed it, I became a key holder, fairly quickly, and I felt myself on a fast track for success. Many people would comment "I thought you had to know a lot about electronics to work there." Well, while electronics knowledge is a definite plus, I had little experience with most of the items we sold, but I was trained well and felt confident in my sales. I would also walk the store and review the products I was less acquainted with during slow times, which helped with future sales. I left due to personal issues of my own, but I returned two years later because I had enjoyed it. Things did change of course, but for someone looking for that competitive edge, willing to work hard for commission sales, this job is for you.
Great store, but that's probably a rarity in this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, NJDecember 20, 2015
I had the benefit of working for one of the better managers in the company. All in all it was very relaxed, but the company made some questionable business decisions. Coworkers were great, store manager was great. Upper management was awful, no hopes for advancement. Hardest part of the job was working up the energy to go in. Best part of the job was the environment though.
Pros
discount, coworkers, manager.
Cons
upper management, too much inventory: clutter, high prices drives customers away
they don't care about you
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Snohomish, WAMarch 13, 2016
The management doesn't look at you as anything more than a number, the store manager, and associates usually get along wonderfully, and it's like working with good family and friends, but the upper management just doesn't care
Pros
friendly, family like atmosphere
Cons
poor upper management, awful compensation
Great staff, but lacking with the ability to grow with the company.
Sales Associate/Cell Phone Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMarch 15, 2016
The front line of RadioShack are very capable individuals who put the customer first. I learned a lot about how customers operate and the proper way to handle various different situations involving them. RadioShack really pushes the idea that the customer must be satisfied when leaving the store. The only real complaint that I have about working there is that the company was going bankrupt during my time with them which didn't allow me to move up in rank. The fear of the company closing for good caused a good amount of my co-workers to become stagnant and fearful of job security.
Excellent company to make money and very fun place to work
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRNovember 19, 2015
It was an excellent experience, great for learning and to make money, develop different skills and career advancement.
Great training were I was able to know every employee that I manage and help them develop their career path.
Suddenly management changes and destroy the finances of the company, and with that the morale of employees.
Pros
Excellent compendation and competition within piers. Great Awards and Prizes for employees.
Cons
Lack of sensibility at the end from Top Management.
Easiest job ever... BUT
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 26, 2016
manager talks down on associates like they've never had a job! Rude!
A lot of gray areas; manager tells you to "go with your gut / judgement," but you get written up for doing so.
2 people shifts - radioshack and sprint; MANDATORY to take lunch no shorter or longer than 30 min after fourth hour but before fifth - by taking your lunch you leave the store to under Sprint and they can't ring up radioshack customers.
RadioShack is also a sales job, you make x% off of your sales. Manager pushes sales on customers even after they say "NO!" and expects you to do the same. This is where we "lose stars," pushing sales and losing the helpful customer service.
Must be self-motivated to work
Pros
Great employee discounts
Cons
MANAGEMENT, fluctuation of hours, harassment as jokes, slim chances in moving up
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  OregonSeptember 12, 2015
I liked the work I do, I enjoy what a sales associate/key holder is to do. But the fact that they want me to do things that are meant for managers only, was what I didn't like. I didn't sign up to have manager responsibilities, nor did they offer it to me with a pay raise. Other than that doing what I am required to do with my job title I am perfectly fine with. Although I still go above and beyond for customers as a sales associate.
Pros
Discounts on certain merchandise.
Cons
No proper management, or training.
Working with technology which I love.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 19, 2015
Firstly, this job was a very long time ago so my description may be inaccurate in defense of the company. A typical day at work was essentially helping customers and keeping the store clean. I had to know a lot of product knowledge. This was a time when Radio Shack sold very small components that you had to have knowledge of. Things are much simpler now. I learned a a lot about electrical components and computer parts. I have no complaints about management. My most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying the customer and getting them what they needed.
Pros
Learning Technology
Cons
No room for advancement