RadioShack Employee Reviews

Found 3,909 reviews matching the search
Constant turnover and lack of leadership makes it hard place to work.
Technical Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 23, 2017
One of the biggest problems with RadioShack was the constant turnover of employees either leaving or getting fired. There was a serious lack of leadership throughout the whole company that trickled down to store level management and into the low level positions as well. One of the biggest issues I saw was constant confusion on what the culture of the company was supposed to be and it showed from top to bottom. All that being said, I was lucky enough to have had a manager (prior to my store closing down) that was very pleasant to work for.
High demand; low reward
Sales associate/key holder (Former Employee) –  Alice, TX/Porter TXJanuary 25, 2017
Upper Management is constantly putting employees in unethical situations with no apparent actions to change policies.

Having 4-5 people waiting for the Sprint side without access to any of it while being the only employee in store; on top of having to drive to the bank to deposit for the day (with no compensation). If done late you get in trouble, but you can't leave and lock up because Sprint does not have any privilege to open or close the store, also we were promised competitive wages/raises multiple times without receiving any.

The job wouldn't be so bad if it was centered around helping people with solutions, but if someone comes in with a handful of change and grabs a fuse for their grandma they expect them to walk out with headphones. The maker aspect is a huge part or RS so I would love assisting with parts drawers etc so what if it was only a $10 transaction it is a steady stream, but because of the sales path they expect tons of unnecessary items added; I've noticed multiple repeat customers stop coming for that reason.

I will finish off saying at least my store managers in both locations were on the ball and very personable.
Pros
Management exp. minus the title and pay.
Cons
everything else
Entertaining first job
Sales Associate / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 25, 2016
My job at Radioshack was located mainly in the downtown Portland area.
It was a decent first job. I would arrive to work in the morning or afternoon and it was my job to assist customers, put out/face product, open/close the store, and clean the store as necessary.
My favorite part of the job was assisting the customers, answering their questions, and helping them find solutions to their electronics based issues.
My coworkers were generally about my age, but were completely unenthusiastic about their jobs. The management was ... brusque... he was very knowledgeable but had a tendency to tell customers he didn't like to get out of his store.
I would work hard to maintain a good rapport with customers and have never once received a negative review.
The hardest part of the job was either having to refer my customers to another store, or having to let them deal with the management, who was notorious for yelling at most anyone.
Pros
Flexible hours, got to work with electronics, nice discount
Cons
No benefits, no opportunity for advancement, management could be rude at times
Retail business, fast paced, new product every month.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 25, 2016
Typical day was started with fronting product, putting out sales tags for at-time current promotions. Coworkers were fun to be with made the days better, hardest part of the job was trying to close on time. The most enjoyable part was being able to be successful and number 1 in the district. I hated the new compensation plan, micromanagement, lack leadership, revolving door upper management, and no consistency what so ever
Pros
Inside information on industry changes and new technology
Cons
Poor upper management, awful compensation, If it's a slow month, you'll make minimum wage since it's commission based, Not enough hours to have store covered, & Low pay, long hours, monthly meetings that were always repetative.
First job. Fun place to work. Huge emphasis on providing excellent customer service.
Customer Service Representative/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Athens, TNJanuary 5, 2017
This was a first job. Though part-time, it help me to establish a good work ethic and stressed the importance of proper customer service, time management skills, and how to adhere to a daily operations plan.

In this position I assisted customer in making buying-decisions by provided relevant product information and support. I was also required to ensure that the retail store appearance and culture aligned with corporate office initiatives.
Pros
Good sales culture and corporate support
Cons
Low Pay and work-hour scheduling conflicts
Good Place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mission, TXJanuary 13, 2017
IF there is still one open where live its good place to work.

during lean months its hard to get all your hours

Everything , I've been here for over 3 years and still haven't had a raise they say that you get Commission of what you sell . But that's not always promised specially in the location on a map barely have sales been I have people that come in so how my getting my commission . I have all these responsibilities like locking the door at night holding the keys to the store dropping off the deposit doing that it's apposit…
Use to be great before new managment
Assistant Manager in Sales /Fix it Technician (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJuly 21, 2016
Radioshack was an amazing place to gain experience, it taught problem solving, team work, competitiveness and leadership it had great products at competitive prices amazing management and compensation, that is until it went under new management. Radioshack slowly started to crumble after it took on new management they did pay cuts as well as took great products off the shelves slowly customers started leaving as well as other great employees at Radioshack, with the loss of great employees the company started giving out horrible customer service and then it just went from bad to worse. Customers left and my store went from 50,000 a month average to 20,000 in sales in just 2 years and then because of the loss in profit they kept laying off full time employees, then giving a pay cut to the managers, until finally laying off the assistant managers to keep there company going.
Pros
Very great loyal managers in some store
Cons
Horrible management above district managers
Ok place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  RadioShackFebruary 20, 2017
Every other day store is closing.Tge district manager should not be a district manager.He is rude yells all the time and talks to his employees like they are slaves.He fires people for taking time off when you are a part timer.and Demands you stay at the store until the item of the day is sold..The other employees are awesome and loved working with them.you just don't have any job security because you are not sure the next day you might be closing.
Pros
Coworker
Worst Company to Work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 20, 2016
I worked for Radio Shack for two years.You think when you get a job there you will be selling electronics. You don't, you sell Cell phones and deal with no prospects in advancement. It is one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The best part was when customers weren't in the store, but then you had to put up merchandise with plan-o-grams or do these CONSTANT training courses on cell phone information so you could sell cell phones or some other useless electronic gadget. You will also be made fun of, or shamed whatever you want to call it for not selling enough cell phones. Basically its a highly competitive cell phone sales job which you occasionally get to sell electronics.
Pros
Discount on electronics
Cons
To many to list.
pleasant and fun
Asst Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 29, 2016
It was a great place to work. The staff was a great team of people who was a pleasure training and also working with on a daily basis. The job was challenging and exiting. Learning about the products was awesome being able to get first hand experience and learn on the job was exciting and fulfilling, I was very thrilled moving my way up starting as a sales associate and being able to learn how to make and accomplish daily goals working with other managers and having a constant supply of information to improve does daily goals were great.
Pros
great place to make hourly and commision
Cons
changed ceo and commisioned drop almost 50% of salary
good job for part time only and sales during its time
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA 93306August 10, 2016
I've had my ups and downs with this job but in ways I did loved it but the pay and the hours and the whole bankruptcy situation went downhill for me I'm glad it still around but its not the same company I use to work for since its owned by sprint but during my time it was straight forward sales got introduce to new things in phone and tech which is my hobby plus dealing with customer service and learning new stuff and understand how to help in difficult situations management was cool but I couldn't advance due to other reasons but other than that was great
Pros
laidback, great people to meet, new phones to see and tech
Cons
pay was poor unless full time, constant theft from drug addicts and bad people, no advancement to hire positions
You better have thick skin.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  WAOctober 17, 2016
Store Manager for 7 years w/ 9.5 total years. Hostile environment from middle management. Low pay, not industry competitive. Want you to run two businesses in some stores, and be a marketer. Low budget for store hours, making it difficult to run store effectively or hire new associates. I have seen this company shoot itself in the foot over and over and now General Wireless at the helm is trying to reinvent the same broken wheel as Legacy RadioShack.
Good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJanuary 31, 2017
This opportunity provided great compensation, great management team work, great training, great communication flow and great environment to work in. Liked the performance trackers showing the other stores in the district % to goals!! Our team had some very profitable results!!!
Great company and treat you like family
DISTRICT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 5, 2016
From the CEO to everyone who works in the corporate office, they are all amazing people and treat you with the up most respect. Pay is good but has opportunity to pay a little more to keep great talent on the team and minimize the turn over. I regret ever leaving!
Pros
Too many to list!
Cons
Pay can be more competitive to keep top talent
Radio Shack in a nutshell
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  ConJanuary 13, 2017
The place need to grow more and offer pay raises for the ambitious folk that want to stick with a company as per veterancy that pays off. more commission percentage would be a plus.
Pros
Listen to any non offensive music allowed on the clock.
Cons
the pay rate doesn't increase.
My Experience
Assistant Manager/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Radioshack was a pretty good company to work for but couldn't keep business afloat and in the midst of the collapse of many of their establishments couldn't keep their employees satisfied with incentives that would motivate and benefit the empoloyees. A typical day of work would involve all aspects of fluidly running a retail electronics store, from merchandising to sales execution to loss prevention. The management team would do their best to keep the small staff motivated and sales up even in the decline of the volume of customers. The hardest part of the job was meeting the sales goals provided with practically no to very little foot traffic visiting the stores. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to truly connect with the customers that walked through our doors and learning how to build customer relations beyond their sales needs.
Pros
Great Customer Interactions
Cons
Healthcare and Poor Incentive Pay
They aren't going to be around much longer for a reason
Associate, Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 27, 2016
The culture of RadioShack was tired and desperate. Half of it was the old storefronts, dated decor and hardware, failure to stay relevant enough, etc. paired with their efforts which seemed unsure and hesitant, relying heavily on employees being expected to perform tasks and reset labor that was not part of their original job descriptions. I learned a whole lot for sure, mainly because I was thrown into a management role while making an employee wage. I wasn't taught much and to be completely honest the commission structure was very undesirable. The carrier stores made three to four times what a RadioShack employee would make selling the same phone on the same plan. I would not recommend working there.
Pros
Small discount, more sizable on RadioShack brands
Cons
terrible benefits, poorly organized
Very productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brighton Beach, NYJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at Radioshack would be great and pretty busy in the area in which i was located. I learned alot from my co-workers. How to speak and comfort customers about their needs. The management there was amazing, turned out to be great friends even outside of the work environment. Possibly the hardest part for me at the job was not moving up with the company, i felt that i could have become assistant manager or even store manager but since Radioshack filed for bankruptcy, it became hard for me to do so, but other than that i had no problem working there and i enjoy my time there as well.
Pros
Busy location, time flew past
Great work environment
Radioshack team member (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 18, 2017
You get what you put in if you're active and willing to standout from the rest you are able to advance job security is based on performance and team members availability to benefits is not very good
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Job security
Actually quite fun
Associate (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CANovember 22, 2016
I had fun learning about the job. Its fairly simple retail but there were somethings that you had to know for the hobbyists that would come in for parts etc. Knowledge of tvs, cell phones and other technological things helped but you learned a lot on the job as well.

I priced items,restocked and ran register. At the time we sold cell phones, enrolled people in cell plans, up-sold accessories and had to have knowledge of the most commonly used batteries. Years later I can still roughly identify what type of battery you will need for what kind of key fob or watch.
Pros
I learned a lot of new things about tech and phones
Cons
I was treated as if i didnt matter when I was sick, I was fired for being sick on my days off and refusing to come into work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RadioShack. Our community is ready to answer.

54%