RadioShack Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,604 reviews matching the search
Sinking ship
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 21, 2016
Working for Radio Shack was the worst retail experience I have ever had. The District Managers were always the most out-of-touch morons they could find. At one point we had a District Manager who was using a stolen identity to get the job. They clearly don't care and are doing anything to make a buck at the cost of screwing over their employees. Since working for them I refuse to shop there and tell people they should do the same. They shouldn't get away with how they treat their employees and they deserve to go the way of Circuit City.
Pros
Nice coworkers, great team to get behind
Cons
Management and upper management is a garbage fire.
A job that should be taught in the classroom.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ALJuly 20, 2016
It was a job I still drive by and see closed down and remember the years spent there. It taught me everything I know about customer compassion and doing what it takes to make a solution from any problem. I'd work there again if given the chance.
Pros
New problems everyday, learning new useful tid bits from solving issues, loved the atmosphere and knowledge
Cons
Didnt promote much from within the company, constant payrate changes, company closing
A great educational experience in store management
Store Manager and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, Wheaton and Olney MDJuly 19, 2016
I loved working at the Shack. I did hate the training mechanism, though I did learn a lot from it. It is just there are so many. I loved running three stores. Great employees and some great co managers. I can't and won't bad mouth a company that I highly respect. They noticed and rewarded good behavior and good sales
Pros
It wa MY store to rum like my own business
Cons
So focused on cell phone sales tha they lost sight of the current trends. Required 50 hours a week.
A pretty normal job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cape May Court House, NJJune 30, 2016
Our days were almost never really typical, as they were different almost each day. I learned how to sell mobile lines as well as how certain electronics worked. Management may have been a bit erratic with certain things but for the most part was easy to work with. Co-workers were very easy to work with. The hardest part about the job would've been the mobile line sales and the most enjoyable part of the job was the pay.
Pros
Commission on sales, stable work environment
Cons
On the verge of bankruptcy
RadioShack is a place where you can learn a bit about electronics while earning a paycheck.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 14, 2016
A typical day working at Radioshack is primarily helping customers, usually troubleshooting an issue they have with an item they already own. But you also get paid to take time to learn about new products as they come in. Down time consists of cleaning the store, making sure the shelves look good, putting away shipment, and answering phone calls.
Pros
Everyone i worked with was able to get work finished while having fun doing it.
Cons
Upper management is out of touch with what working in a store is actually like.
Ridiculous
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dickson City, PAJuly 14, 2016
Our sales expectations were always increasing while the quality of our services and products continued to diminished. The pay was horrible. The job paid minimum wage plus commission and spiffs. The commission and spiffs structure changed during my time with the company resulting in a smaller paycheck. We were expected to do the job of a cellular sales representative for a fraction of the pay. Poor upper management. Higher positions were always filled from outside the company, never from within.
Pros
Some paid time-off
Cons
No advancement, poor pay, unreasonable expectations
It was a productive and fun workplace, Bob Knapp and Byron Mancinni,and Nick Chernoff were excellent district managers one of my most favorable jobs
Manager (Former Employee) –  Carousel mall, Liverpool N.Y 13066July 27, 2016
Loved working there had lots of potential to make lots of money and the management was exceptional. ..the customers were down to earth, I was number 1 in the district in loss prevention and in the top 5 each month in sales and manager of the month 5 times in one year.
Pros
Pay, management, customers, and work environment..
Cons
Really nothing.
nice work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 15, 2016
I was working in a busy location in jersey city, NJ
a typical day of work would include helping people out with wireless needs and many many questions. upon getting promoted the work became more office based rather than being out on the floor, you learn a lot such as scheduling staffing and more about running your own store. I have kept in touch with a few people after my employment there was over, and they have said that things are very different now. overall it was a great job.
Pros
first to know about new technology
Cons
the pay.
Unfortunate end
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILJuly 5, 2016
It almost felt like home, the size was perfect and the atmosphere on most days you controlled. Its easy to form a good relation with your manager as it doesn't feel like you're always on the chopping block. Learned many little tips and tricks to make stuff work. Unfortunately I fell in love with the job and had to close the store. It was always a pleasure to come up with some way to fix a problem for the costumer.
Pros
Amazing discounts.
Cons
Poor business
Retail business, fast paced, new product every month.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 25, 2016
Typical day was started with fronting product, putting out sales tags for at-time current promotions. Coworkers were fun to be with made the days better, hardest part of the job was trying to close on time. The most enjoyable part was being able to be successful and number 1 in the district. I hated the new compensation plan, micromanagement, lack leadership, revolving door upper management, and no consistency what so ever
Pros
Inside information on industry changes and new technology
Cons
Poor upper management, awful compensation, If it's a slow month, you'll make minimum wage since it's commission based, Not enough hours to have store covered, & Low pay, long hours, monthly meetings that were always repetative.
Terrible manager coupled with god aweful pay and high expectations
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 5, 2016
Worked in the Janesville WI location in the mall. My manager was all around a terrible person alone much less a poor manager. 7.50 an hour and then they expect you to bleed for the company while treating you like garbage for not doing there bidding. Toxic work environment filled with yelling and disrespect. All around it comes down to the difference between a leader and a boss. THIS RadioShack has a boss. She won't lead just make you feel like trash for not doing her bidding.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Everything is a con of working here
they have good benefits but sale risks.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILJuly 4, 2016
at first it would be ok but as i learned more and got out of training, i learned how dangerous for job security. if you managed to go more than a few times without selling accessories or insurance you would lose your job.
Pros
compensation for selling accessories and insurance
Cons
travel to a convention that offer no true help in your job, low hours pay usually is only good if you can sell and get really lucky
Sinking Ship
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 18, 2016
The company is not and most likely will not be growing. They are simply selling things customers do not have a need for. After the bankruptcy most managers, the few who stayed, are making close to minimum wage, but being required to do more with less hours and employees. Upper management does not care or support the stores. They seem to be looking for other opportunities. And the owners seem to be getting ready to cut their losses.
Productive enviornment with great employees
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 1, 2016
My workday would include providing cutting-edge solutions to customer. Being confident and friendly at all times. Meeting the standards of the store including stocking, cleaning, merchandising ect. I learned a lot about technology working here, computers, cell phones, and security systems mainly. Management was outstanding they motivated me as a sales representative. The management always recognized my performance as one of the top 3 sales reps in our district. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things everyday and helping customers.
Pros
Cell phone discount
Cons
Not a bad company, just stuck in their old ways
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 15, 2016
This company was great to work for. I initally started as a sales associate but quickly rose through the positions until I reach Store Manager. Radioshack ran like the a typical retail store, however, it focused too much on parts no one needed anymore. Unfortunately, Radioshack ended up declaring bankruptcy in 2015.
Pros
Great work environment, job security
Cons
focused on all the wrong products
Radio Shack is not a place to work
District Captain and Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJune 9, 2016
You never feel safe there, literally, not just in employment terms. There is no protection for you if you are robbed, LP hasn't made any advancements. Pay is ridiculous and compensation tends to get "lost" and you never receive it. I will never go back to a company like this.
Pros
Electronic information, first to know when new stuff is coming out
Cons
Everything else from pay to safety to hours
Bankrupt for a reason
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 21, 2016
Horribly run, hard on its most innovative and successful managers because they did not follow their failing formula of money and cash flow over customers first.
So worried about being "hip" and making a quick profit they drove a once proud company with a rich history into the dust.

Had one of the best group of employees and my fellow managers in the region were superb, working together as a team to find ways to keep ours stores in the black while everyone else around the country stayed heavily in the red.
Loved it!!
Sales Technician/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2016
Typical day at work would be greeting customers, and help them with anything they need. Also I was a phone technician, so i repaired iphones, samsungs, and ipads. Learning that i used it when the store closed down and it has helped me alot! Management was without a doubt the best, they would have fun, but at the same time get the work that had to be completed.
Pros
Benefits, learning something new everyday, getting to see new products.
all about the customer
keyholder-Phone tech (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2016
Open the store and make sure all my drawers are ready for the day. Wait on my customers weather it be from a new wireless contract to a new otter box or a screen repair. I would pull drawers to make sure everything was accounted for through the day. after the last customer was helped I would then count my drawers and drop off the deposit and lock up.
Pros
learn alot with free training.
Cons
not enough time in the day.
Working with nice people, everybody was nice
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 17, 2016
Every Monday received product, make a report for it and summited to my supervisor, I spend a large part of the day failing.
Make sure the testers have enough job thru the day, make another report in the afternoon to inform my supervisor the production for the day.
My supervisor was very nice and he always was waling to help me when I have questions,
I always got along with mi coworkers very good, I'm an excellent team player.
The hardest part of my job was at the end of the month when I have to make many more reports.
I enjoy having lunch with every body we always have something to talk about.
Pros
Everybody help when needed