RadioShack Employee Reviews

Found 3,774 reviews matching the search
Beautiful experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wayne, INAugust 22, 2016
Working for RadioShack was a pleasant experience. If you provided great customer service, your numbers would reflect how you performed. Honestly, the greatest part of the job was making sure the customers were genuinely happy. Seeing returning customers bring their family and friends to the store was just amazing. The Closing of the Fort Wayne stores was the hardest part. The company didn't want to pay overtime to its non salaried employees, thus putting more stress on store managers. The company taught me how I could hone my customer service skills. With already having great knowledge of electronics, this instantly gave me an advantage of being in management.
Pros
Discount on store merchandise. Always something new to learn.
Cons
Pay
Easy-going, flexible, and able to focus on studies and work.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MODecember 3, 2016
Overall, nice company to work for, flexible hours and nice management. Job security is low, with any store able to get closed at any minute.
Welcome to the Shack
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INApril 22, 2016
Radio Shack was a part time job that offered an opportunity to explore new technology and meet new people. Many times the compensation would make this job just a bit short for a living wage unless one pursued management. The Radio Shack I worked at had a great manager who believed in making his team members successful and he did not tolerate horseplay which intern made for a more rewarding customer experience. One had to work weekends many times which involved being ready to help customers with needs and it was always good to see a happy customer.
Pros
On going tech education, customer service, and fun environment
Cons
Weekends
Good company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  NOTHERN VIRGINIASeptember 1, 2016
Radioshack was a great company to work with and is probably still good for the stores that are still open. My time there was great, compensation is good, work life balance is good as well.
Pros
COMPENSATION
Cons
HEALTH CARE
A decent employer
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dolton, ILNovember 28, 2016
The most intensive preparation for their employees and managers. The atmosphere was very competitive in this sales driven job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
HIgh employee turnover
Was once a great company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJanuary 28, 2016
I returned to this company after two years with another due to the enjoyment I got out of the position I had. Formerly Radio Shack was a fun place to work with monthly contests and incentives. They rewarded your work and I felt it was easy to move up. When I returned, the company held on to those values for the first couple years. When the CEO changed, the fun and rewarding atmosphere was replaced by the stresses of job insecurity and high pressure sales practices. The company was unwilling to spend money on the stores and employees resulting in unhappy employees and loss of sales. After terminating nearly all upper management and cutting benefits of lifelong employees, the stores closed quickly. The few that remain are not much more than Sprint stores with batteries.
Cons
low pay, job security declining, not many left
Radioshack
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 17, 2016
Great place to work. great learning experience with customer service,great management. Here I got to learn alot of electronics and was able to get more experience with customer.
Pros
sales
Cons
competitive
Great place for experience, too much to do
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 21, 2016
For many years there was great opportunities, but with the new ownership taking over last year we lost most benefits to working there. Our 401K was ended, along with the matching funds. All seniority was lost and every manager was set back to $11.50/Hour. Payroll hours were reduced to only cover the hours the store was open (example, if store was open a total of 78 hours/week, that was your payroll hours). I always enjoyed the freedom to run my store and merchandise the way I felt best suited my customers. I also liked being able to recruit, interview, and hire my staff. The hardest part of the job was being in charge of everything. Managing, selling, training, banking, recruiting, hiring, loss management, cleaning, P/L reviews, employee weekly/monthly reviews, merchandising, local marketing/advertising, sales numbers collection, everything regarding my business I was in charge of top to bottom. I was there for over 23 years, what I learned was how to run every aspect of a Business. They closed all the stores in a large area which left me looking for something new. I would like to end with this, I have made so many friendships over the years and watched so many of my employees blossom and grow either within the company or leave to grow and develop with other companies, it is my proudest achievement as a manager to have some part in the successful careers that they accomplished.
Pros
Make your own schedule, several paid days off
Cons
Most benefits to job taken away by new ownership
Radio Shack is not a place to work
District Captain and Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJune 9, 2016
You never feel safe there, literally, not just in employment terms. There is no protection for you if you are robbed, LP hasn't made any advancements. Pay is ridiculous and compensation tends to get "lost" and you never receive it. I will never go back to a company like this.
Pros
Electronic information, first to know when new stuff is coming out
Cons
Everything else from pay to safety to hours
The best of times, and the worst of times
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brady, TXSeptember 7, 2016
Growing up, I would walk our local mall and marvel at the electronics, and well dressed employees. My manager was amazing. He gave me ample time to train, and even encouraged me to go further than just the required 13 core training programs. I went on and trained in all of the material. I walked away confident in my knowledge of the product. This helped when there cuts. I had a higher sales rate than the others, and they kept me instead of the person that had a longer seniority. I eventually went into the management program and "graduated" with the highest grade in my district. Pretty much all of my co-workers we eager to teach me things. We believed in play and have as much fun as you want, as long as the work got done. The hardest part of the job was actually getting ready for inventory, witch we did once a quarter. The most enjoyable part was inventory. I love inventory.
Pros
Ample learning opportunities, once a quarter inventory
Cons
As the years went on, Radio Shack became a cellphone store instead of an electronics super store.

Want to know more about RadioShack?

Ask a question
One man show Store Manager/associate,miracle worker.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAJune 30, 2016
You are there by yourself most of the day running the store and taking care of customers and operations the entire day sometimes without the labor hours to have someone come in so you can take a lunch break off the clock or just a breather for a moment without running around knocking everything out, even big projects by yourself.

The whole of Radioshack was promised a raise on a conference call, A Store manager was suppose to feed a family of 4 on their income, we were promised that for a little over 6 months they just needed to work out the kinks and around February 2016 they had another conference call and said "we know a lot of things were promised but we can not keep those promises." They said our Regional Directors would be in contact with us soon to explain the new pay structure. I went from $42,000 a year plus commission on everything I sold and a bonus if the store was profitable (an effective "hourly rate" of $20.52 /hr if you were to break it down) to $11.50/hr everything else still applied, however, the commission was now based on whenever that cash drawer was opened no matter who made the sale. My pay was cut nearly in half.
Pros
Commission pay, Health, dental, vision insurance, 401k plan
Cons
No breaks, one man show, stressful, no labor hours, customer base thinks you went out of business
Loved it!!
Sales Technician/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2016
Typical day at work would be greeting customers, and help them with anything they need. Also I was a phone technician, so i repaired iphones, samsungs, and ipads. Learning that i used it when the store closed down and it has helped me alot! Management was without a doubt the best, they would have fun, but at the same time get the work that had to be completed.
Pros
Benefits, learning something new everyday, getting to see new products.
I got to work and grow with lots of successful associates and management.
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  New Castle, PAMarch 17, 2016
I started 14+yrs ago as seasonal to make extra cash for the holidays and from there my love of electronics pulled me in to part time, full time, assistant and then manager. I have watched the evolution of electronics during one of the biggest booms;ranging from desktop to laptops and tablets and also bag phones to smart phones.

I have watched employees flow the same path as myself and helped them along the way.

The hardest part about working in electronics is not always being able to meet the customers needs.

The best part is each day is different with different challenges to overcome.

I am looking for new challenges at this point in my life.
Pros
associates, flexibilty, vacation time
Cons
new compensation plan, micromanagement, lack leadership, revolving door upper management, consistency
Company went out of business
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pa and NJJune 13, 2016
Put all of the companys culture and background behind and put all of it's eggs in one basket, being Cell Phones This is not what Radio Shack was built on and how it gained in size by it's reputation of the alternative to the big box Department stores. Unfortunately, this lead to it's demise.
Pros
Great associates and customers
Cons
poor work life balance
Company lost sight of customer needs and wants
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZ washington and jersey city, njOctober 28, 2016
After view years of working with this company it was losing sight in my opinion of the customers needs and wants focusing on specific sales gains I.E mobile phones. Lessing there options to the customer for overall shopping experience. I did learn many technical skills in various electronic fields while they were still available and sold by the company. Co-Workers seemed to dwindle due to cut backs and high demands for sales goals even unreachable by management.
badly managed
Sales Associate/key holder (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 6, 2016
no advancements, management was fickle, and one can only do as much as one is trained to do within their ob concentrations
Gratifying and Informative
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INJuly 14, 2016
I spent my days helping customers and teaching them how to use specific technology to meet their needs. I learned a great deal about all types of technology and how to handle difficult situations. Most of the managers I worked with were wonderful, however, there was such as large turnover over management that sometimes it was difficult work with some of them. I loved my coworkers. We all became friends and always had fun working together to make the store an entertaining and pleasant place for customers to come for any technical help that they required. We all had our strengths and despite the fact that corporate made sales a little too competitive over time, we still were able to be respectful of each other. The hardest part of the job was meeting quotas that corporate began to push. I started to feel less like a customer service rep and more like a used car salesman. The most enjoyable part was educating customers and helping them with any needs that they may have, no matter how large or small. RadioShack did a great job training their employees on all technical matters and all the co-workers also helped each other expand their knowledge further. It was always really gratifying to see a customer act like I just saved their life.
Pros
Gratifying, educational
Cons
Low pay, Corporate pushed less focus on customers and more on sales
Great experience
Assistant Store Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2016
Working at Radioshack was honestly one of the best experiences ive had in my whole life, not only did it mold me into the woman i am today it have me the strength and ability to show my leadership skills. A typical day would involve me typically coming into work and revising the schedule, i would later come up with tasks for the team during down time and continuously revise store numbers and see what we needed to do better to reach our goals as well as daily learnings/ training's. Radioshack was technically where i developed my leadership skills where i was really dedicated to move up in an amazing company, management was great and really supportive of my dreams and helped me excel my expectations before my location closed down. The hardest part of the job would have been staying up to date with our numbers during hard times it became difficult to maintain company expectations before closing down but the most enjoyable part was having such a great hard working team and waking up happy to go to work which most haven't had.
productive, leisure time long as you get your part of the job done, and it furthers your career in whatever position you apply for
cashier and stock merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAOctober 1, 2016
I enjoyed working at RadioShack Inc. because it gave me the fun and amazing experience. I can honestly say that my all around shopping and working experience at RadioShack Inc. was beyond a fulfilling boost to my life and career personally and in general.
Pros
amazing pay, fun enviromment, and the joy of meeting new and exciting people
Cons
angry, theifing, dissatisfied customers
Best job I've ever had!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYAugust 10, 2016
A typical day at work is eventful and exciting. I learned and bettered my communication skills, customer service, and knowledge of technology. Management was fantastic. They were very understanding and helpful during my training process. The co-workers I had were supportive and often shared their knowledge with others. The hardest part of the job was when the store closed. I couldn't pick a particular part of the job that was most enjoyable; every aspect of my employment was fantastic!
Pros
Friendly, Fast paced, and plenty of learning opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RadioShack. Our community is ready to answer.