Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego

Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego Employee Reviews

Fast paced job
Lead Coder (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2017
The hardest part of my job is accepting that there is never an end. There is always something to work on. The most enjoyable part of my job is training new employees and see them "get it". I have learned coworkers can become family and at the end of the day all you can do is your best.
Pros
Flexible start time
Cons
Backlogged
Highly stressful due to management
Systems Engineer / VMware Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 24, 2017
First off it might be a GREAT place to save a kids life! However working there is not fun at all and unfriendly, I was NOT in the medical area but the IT area, the place is old and smells like pooop everywhere, management is not existent and the ones that are good are over worked. The old men that work there all dye their hair I guess to attempt the be young even though they are almost 60 OR older. Generally just suchs all I can really say. Contractors and not made to feel welcome and employees don't really do anything so you feel trapped and suffocated. No one really helps you to learn you job, so you are on your own. Met the CEO seems like a nice guy :) :) :)
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Short breaks Micromangement
Great place to work; hours are horrible
Patient Access Representative II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2017
I loved what I did at Rady's, I personally enjoy being on my toes, in a fast paced environment and you got on and off spurts of patients. I worked in the ER as a PAR II. The job consistent of registering your patients on a NEMO or a computer on wheels. You made copies of DL, INS cards and collected co-payments at the time of registering. We were rotated to different areas of the ER, which are color coded and registered in that area. I enjoyed working the front in the ER registration especially if we were swamped. The downside were the hours they were horrible, I would begin anytime from 3pm-9pm. I was lucky if I began at 3pm or 5pm but was rare. The employees that have been there a long time have the early set hours. The hardest part of my job were working the late hours. The work culture is calm everyone is nice. I cannot say enough good things of management. The ladies are very nice and more than willing to help out and help you succeed. No one is hired straight out. You start working at Rady's as a contract employee and they may or may not extend your contract. I knew someone there who before I quit, was informed his contract would not be extended. He had worked there two years already. So becoming permanent is not easily done.
Pros
On and Off busy, employees are nice, training galore
Cons
Rotating schedule start times can be as late as 11pm. No choice on this.
Admin positions
Patient Access Representative II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2017
There is no advancement for administrative assistants or receptionists. A lot of people here are lazy and do not like to help patients. Management only cares about the clinical staff. The benefits are okay and PTO hours are accumulated but you will use your PTO to cover for holidays.
Willing to make a difference
INTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 28, 2017
Everyone who works in the facility has the intention to provide the best health care to patients. Everyone you encounter when it comes to employees from the bottom to executive level, they are extremely nice and in a good mood.
I do not have anything to add
Supervisor, Patient Access (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2017
My review is not necessary here. I do not have anything negative to say about the organization to say. I was always the one to give the positive feedback to all of our new candidates.
love it
Environmental Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 6, 2017
great place to work. My supervisor was very supportive. I was always treated with respect and felt that i was an integral part of the success within the company.
treated unfair
Synagis Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 5, 2017
Many employees spoke Spanish all day to each other, not only to Spanish speaking patients. I felt that I was treated poorly when I complained to management.
Pros
working for a wonderful hospital that takes great care of children
Cons
employees spoke Spanish all day to one another
well staffed
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 3, 2017
Typical day is busy- The ED works hard to keep wait times low for the kiddos- so it is fast paced for the most part- it is well staffed with many providers to help with sometimes high influxes of patients. I have learned so much more about childhood illnesses- gotten a bit better at rashes and have really improved on my time management skills- For me the work place is cheerful, friendly and helpful- There are several managers- so they always have time to listen- and can spread the duties so you arent waiting for 1 person all the time. The hardest part of the job for me - is seeing mistreated kids- ignored kids- on the flip side is having that kid that you poked, prodded and held down for the doctor to examine- will still wave and blow kisses to you when they leave- loving to tell you bye bye.
Pros
well staffed
Cons
no cell watch or diamond wedding rings at work
Working with kids is always unique
Clinical Nurse III (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 25, 2017
A typical day, there is never a "typical day" pediatric care is always changing but the nursing staff is always finding ways to provide the best care to all their patients.
Job Experience
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2017
It's such a beautiful organization to be a part of. You have an opportunity to help tomorrows future. A non-profit that cares about the community and especially the kids.
Great job
Clerical Assistant, medical records (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2017
I miss my job there. Great people to work with. Always busy. Always nice to see smiling faces of children. Loved to help families. Liked the free food & friendly people who gave it us
Pros
Nice dr. Free lunch
Cons
Super early shift
Temp Employee Experience
Administrative Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2017
I worked here as a temp- though was offered a full-time position after six months. My biggest complaint is the pay- they pay terribly. The department I worked in, was really adamant about always being on the clock- god forbid you speak to your colleagues for more than 60 seconds about their day- you were on company time and not doing your job. Management, at least in my department was not great- they treated employees as children and not competent to do their jobs- which they were good at. They didn't understand the mood of their employees and frankly didn't really seem to care. This is just one opinion of one department that I was a temporary employee at.
call center
Patient Access Rep II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2017
Rady is a good company to work for. They don't pay much, but the core values matched mine. I'm more of a move around person so call center didn't work for me.
Pros
laid back people
Cons
not good for someone who needs to move around.
productive and learning site
School Health Aide (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 25, 2017
A typical day at work was getting everything done as much as we could besides taking care of the sick children coming in. What I learned was that we have to work as a team to be able to get work done when needed. Management was very poor due to the person in charge at that site, she had preferences with others and never had a nice professional way to tell you what or how to improve things at the moment. The workplace culture was nice everyone respected each other as well as, helping others who needed translation at the moment, it made them feel good that others who spoke the same language as them. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with not only parents but also, front office employees and Principal. The most enjoyable of the job was that I got along with some workers in the work place and were very helpful. I loved that fact that I was hired through Children's Hospital but, not who was supervising at the site, the supervisor made me feel very uncomfortable and I always had that feeling of wanting to quit therefor, I left the job.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
manager was not understandable or helpfull
Authorizations
Denials Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 15, 2017
the hardest part of the job is explaining benefits to families and then having the physician/careteam tell the families the opposite.

Billing the families for services that they need but benefits are not available.
Pros
knowing that babies are being helped
Cons
stress related evnironment always understaffed, high turnover rate
Just okay
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2017
This is really just a job for college students and retirees. Not the greatest and not the worst. Goof job with okay benefits. They provide plenty of hours if you need work.
Great place
RN (Current Employee) –  san diego CAApril 4, 2017
A busy rapidly expanding ER lots of opportunities to grow. Lots of changes in management and the new blood is invigorating. We expect to see many new changes.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2017
Great place to work. The patients are children and are so enlightening and refreshing. I primarily perform fluoroscopic procedures working directly with the radiologist. I have learned how much patience is required on a daily basis. The day is very fast-paced. The toughest part of my job is getting my patients to cooperate when they don't understand what is being done. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with children.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Short-staffed
Disorganized and too many managers.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2017
This place has way too many managers and too many big egos. Focus more on the front line staff who make a difference in the lives of children. Get rid of the unions.
Pros
Cafeteria on site.
Cons
Too top-heavy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego Reviews by Location