RAILCREW XPRESS Employee Reviews

Friends of the hiring manager is priority regardless of seniority.
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2017
Friends of the hiring manager is priority regardless of seniority. Not able to pick up extra shifts unless you are friends with the hiring manager. Not able to reach out to corporate without being reprimanded.
Pros
Making New Friends
Good job but so many things need fixing
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 22, 2017
As a dispatcher it was very hard job to get accustomed to in regards to my schedule which was 12 hours from 5:30 PM - 5:30 AM. I liked the job and have worked as a driver in the past for the railroad.

I dispatched drivers to pick up/drop off crews for the railroad. In this aspect talking to the drivers was great.

Management was very lacking, very uncoordinated.
Pros
some of the co-workers, 3 days off
Cons
long hours, too much chaos in the callcenter itself
Not a bad job
Driver (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXMarch 16, 2017
Decent pay and hours, lots of driving. On call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A lot of locations to remember for pick ups and drop offs. Fortunately all vehicles have GPS so that helps.
Pros
New vehicles and GPS's
Cons
No regular work schedule (sporadic)
doesnt stand up or help management
AREA MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 4, 2017
upper management doesn't help out or help out area management.
They complain about hours and will not send help when help is needed. management gets no days off we work 24/7 you never get a break. I lost 2 weeks vacation last year because they wouldn't send another manager to my location.
Cons
no days or time off
Great place if you're retired and don't need to make alot of money
contractor for CSX Railroad (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 27, 2017
On call 24/7 at any time of day. The hardest part is trying to accumulate enough hours to pay my bills. Meeting new and interesting crews and taking them or picking them up from various locations in 4 states has been most rewarding to me. Working with CSX as a contractor has been pleasant.
If u stay a driver u can do OK. As long as u have no life outside of work.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 26, 2017
Started as a driver and was moved up rapidly to management with no training. No effort was made to train me at all in management. It was sheer stubbornness that trained me. My own. Then they released me because I couldn't hire enough people. With the low pay and lack of benefits hiring good people is next to impossible. If you want to keep looking for work this is the place to go. But if u looking for stability, respect , and reasonable pay go elsewhere.
Pros
Fun job, enjoyed driving, loved working with the crews, and made some friends with other drivers and managers who are friends to this day.
Cons
Personal time is rare If at all.
not enough pay...
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, TXFebruary 24, 2017
It was a mellow job, but not enough pay for driving far distances and insurance sucks. i worked in a small town with lots of drivers and not too many trips.
Pros
meeting new people, and working alone
Cons
long drives and not enough pay
Unorganized
Driver (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 12, 2017
I get fired, they didnt even notify me. Dispatch sends multiple drivers on same trip so when you all get there, someone has to leave. Bad organization skill. Unprofessional
Pros
Lax work environment
Cons
Too many to name
Dont even think about it.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, moFebruary 9, 2017
Very low pay and they want to work you to death. No moral and they treat you like dirt. Vehicles they want you drive are junk and they will blame you for stuff you did not do.
Pros
Non that i can think of.
Cons
Low pay, poor benefits, on call status, no moral, no safety efforts.
24/7 on call and little pay for drivers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKFebruary 6, 2017
You are on call 24/7, with no compensation. Your hours are limited (full time employee w/ 41 hours in 2 weeks) but they still want you to sit by the phone and wait. There has been times that I won't be dispatched for several days, but can't make any plans because I'm on call 24/7. The rail crews are nice, but not enough to make me stay. This is why I am writing this while searching for a better job.
Pros
you're pretty much your own boss while on the road
Cons
cameras in the vans, horrible benefits, low pay, no life
Great job! Need improvements though
Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 4, 2017
This is actually a great job and absolutely no hard work involved. You set your own schedule and days off but you're on call and there's a 50 50 chance that you may goes everyday with trips or days without a trip at times. You pick up train crewmen from locations surrounding the city you live in and take them to trains or the railroad station. Management is okay but kinda lazy and have a very slow response to your needs but only if you're not on a trip. The pay is $8.25/hr and there's no growth with this company but overall it's a great and simple job.
Pros
No hard work, great people, work on your own time, No point system.
Cons
Management slow, low pay and biweekly paydays and no benefits
could be better
Driver (Former Employee) –  Smithville, TXJanuary 24, 2017
management sucked, they were too worried about clean windows, its a truck stop they will get dirty in a new york second.... some drivers were nice some could be rude, just take them with a grain of salt....
Productive for the railroad business
Driver (Former Employee) –  Angleton, TXJanuary 21, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of driving railcrew members to and from trains; at times this was tedious. Management was quite rude. Hardest part was staying awake during long haul trips; you could take breaks if necessary but most of the time you were on a time limit. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to new places and meeting new people.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Always on call. And if you didn't answer your phone, you got in trouble.
railcrew
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville TnJanuary 20, 2017
This is not a company to work for. Bad management poor benefits. Vehicles are always breaking down they don't want to fix them. Manger doesn't have a clue how to be a manager.
Amazing job
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 14, 2017
This job was amazing, my immediate supervisor was awesome. If the opportunity presented itself I would return just to work with my clients and awesome team mates.
Nice place to work
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 12, 2017
Would not recommend this company to anyone. The do not pay enough for trips and travel time. They need to go up on the pay rate.
Brand new company in the area
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 12, 2017
This company is brand new to the Richmond area, it was very difficult to reach dispatch to close out your trips on a daily bases.

This position was based on On Call Service, sometimes, it was difficult to always be available for a trip and it was held against you if you did not answer your phone to accept trips.
great job
Long Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 7, 2017
I really liked the job, gets your foot in the door for working with the railroad. being on call sucks for being on long haul, but once in the Yard , You have a set schedule 40 + hours a week
Pros
free hours
Cons
on call
Good job for single people with no life
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  West Quincy, MOJanuary 2, 2017
if I was lucky I was called for a job once a week. Management sucked it was hard to get ahold of the regional manager. The people that worked with you were cool. The bnsf guys were kind of stuck up.
Pros
You grt to travel and meet new people
Cons
On call constently
It was a laid back easy job. Boring at times. DO NOT WORK HERE!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 30, 2016
I was a yard driver. I worked there for 3 years. The manager had different rules for each employee. Some could get all the over time they wanted and others couldn't get any. Some of the drivers could do what they wanted when they wanted while others had to follow the book. To me this was favoritism but, nothing was ever done about it. We were also told that we could do what we wanted while we worked in the yard as long as we answered the radio that was wrong too.
Pros
Easy driving job
Cons
No breaks, no lunches, very long hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RAILCREW XPRESS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7