RAILCREW XPRESS

RAILCREW XPRESS Employee Reviews

Difficult hours, difficult environment
Van Dispatcher and Driver (Current Employee), Boone, IAMay 26, 2015
I enjoy my coworkers. We are all a hardworking group. However the nature of the job and the pay makes it very difficult for the company to keep workers. This results in the current drivers being driven into the ground with ungodly hours and times. They could be called out for a 8 hour day at 10am one day, be back by 6pm and be called out again at 2am. Shift work is easier if you can survive being an on call driver long enough to gain a shift job. Shifts are 12 hours long and you may not do a single thing, or you could drive the entire time. There is no consistency. If you are a good driver, however, the railroaders are very appreciative and tend to be very pleasant.

Any attempts to discuss pay raises and increases pleasantness of the job, such as set days off, has been singularly dismissed by higher management. Local management is good and does everything possible for the drivers. However, with little support for it's workers from the company itself, even the most dedicated workers are falling violently ill or jumping ship.
Get to travel and the workers are fairly friendly
Taxi Driver (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHApril 20, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: 24hrs on call
I transport railroad workers to and from train stations and hotels.

I've learned a lot and trains and how they operate than i have previously known.

Management is cool and down to earth.

The co-workers are ok but do not have to deal with them.

The hardest part is defiantly being called in randomly not knowing how to schedule personal time.

Most enjoyable part is getting to travel out of state.
Pros to working with the public
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee), Angleton, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: there are many pros to all the jobs listed.
Cons: there are many cons to all the jobs listed.
When working with the public, there are many things that are likable about it. One is that you can converse with many different types of people. Two is you can also learn about others likes and dislikes and when working close with them, i.e. clothing and retail stores, you can get a feel for what they will like better than something else.

When working in a driving position, you are able to learn many different styles of driving. You learn what your limits are and how far you can drive and how long without becoming fatigued. Also, it is amenable to learn about the safety measures of driving.

When working with children of all ages, you learn about the various types of personalities that come with different age groups. For instance, in the school age bracket of children, you can set a schedule for them and once they learn this schedule, they stick to it for the most part. This schedule and structure can be set in place with any age group given that the caregiver is willing to implement the structure along with the schedule.
Fun Place to Work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: family oriented
Cons: temporary
Relaxed work environment, ability to be a self motivator and self starter. Manage numerous of accounts for drivers compensation on trips.
Chaotic and Terrible hours.
Van Driver (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSNovember 20, 2014
Pros: travel, views.
Cons: no home time, chaotic hours, terrible pay.
Work 12-15 hour shifts and only get maybe 8 hour break in between, non-stop like this. I loved the travel aspect of the job and the rail-road workers where mostly good people, however Dispatch and Managers didn't care about plans made or requested time off. You work when they call or they don't call back for 5-8 days. Overall I would give the job a 3 out of 5 only because I love to drive.
Love driving and enjoy being around the trains
Driver (Current Employee), Lenexa, KSNovember 1, 2014
Pros: being out of a cubicle type office
Cons: on call all the time
Not enough work for the amount of employees they have hired. The hardest part is never knowing when you will go out on a run and how long you will be out.
It was fine
dispatcher (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSOctober 22, 2014
Supervisors were rude at times, but other than that a great place to work. Was nice to take the individuals out into the community
Pay scale diffcult to live with
Driver (Former Employee), Lubbock,TXOctober 21, 2014
Pros: pick up delivery of employees to work sites
Cons: pay
Pay scale is difficult to live with unless you have a supplement to this income to provide more substantial living expense.
On call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Field Safety Advisor (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXOctober 2, 2014
Pros: traveling to different parts of the area i live in
Cons: job work/life balance
Job Work/Life Balance most undesirable part of the job. I learned the best ways to schedule shift and on call jobs. And how to coach employees to adjust to that life style. The current management is using a style of management that is not attentive to rules and regulations. Everyone's job is to increase profits but it must be done in a structured and legal way. An enjoyable part of the job was traveling to different parts of the area I live in. At first no more than 250 miles. In high management positions 1000 miles.
Great Company.
Driver (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSSeptember 28, 2014
I enjoyed working for them for the short time that I was able to.
Not a bad job at all. Easy work!
Driver & Dispatcher (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: promotions = better pay :)
Cons: entry pay, night shift is required
This job is easy, you drive a van and transport railroaders where they need to go either locally or out of town. There are no raises unless you get a promotion. EVERYTHING IS DONE BY SENORITY! This company does NOT have good insurance for anything except the vans!
Good employment to gain driving experience
Courtesy/Shuttle Driver (Current Employee), Council Bluffs, IASeptember 11, 2014
A typical day is transporting and assisting train crews with professional and safe driving techniques.
Easy work, a lot of free time alone, friendly people
Train Yard Van Driver (Current Employee), Morrill, NEAugust 26, 2014
Pros: friendly people, fun to drive at times, lot's of free time to do what you want in the van
Cons: excessive free time leading to boredom, excessive driving leading to road hypnosis, understaffed, undermanaged
A typical day at work involves twelve hours of sitting, more sitting, followed by sitting. You drive out to the middle of nowhere, sit and wait for the vehicle you drive for the shift to pull up, switch out with the driver, fill out an inspection sheet, go park in the depot and sit and wait for train crews to come out, get in and then take them to their trains. Also you take radio calls from train crews to be picked up from their trains and take them where they need to go in the yard. The job involves a lot of waiting. You don't leave the van and you don't shut the van off. If you shut the van off, the battery will die because you're listening to the stereo and the radio. You're not allowed to jump start the vehicle or do any kind of maintenance including changing a tire. You sit with your phone out to entertain you and abuse your data limit. You do whatever you can to entertain yourself. It's easy to fall asleep to the boredom of waiting for the radio or a crew to get in.
Depending on where you apply at decides your pay. I work for UP train yards at South Morrill getting paid minimum wage. Thus, making it too long a drive for such a low rate of pay for the amount of time I spend sitting out there. The drivers in other train yards are making $9+ an hour.
Management is a mess. The location manager isn't at the location 98% of the time. The lead driver is usually out doing long hauls. Therefore, there is no management actually managing the drivers. If a problem arises, everyone is just on their phones. There is no longer any personal interaction with management creating false expectations as to what they'll do when they actually show up. Which is usually nothing.
When you get trained as a Multi-Purpose van (MPV), you don't actually get any formal training. They walk you through the paper work and then expect you to know where to go for the drop offs & pick ups. It's very discouraging and creates a lot of problems.
Fast-paced work environment
Driver (Former Employee), North Platte, NEJuly 3, 2014
Daily at work we drove on a lot of long hauls. I learned how to stay awake for long periods of time while only driving or sitting. Management was alright. The hardest part of the job was having 3 days in a row of back to back long haul driving. Especially when half the trip you had to drive by yourself. The most enjoyable part of my job was having someone to visit with.
not a good job to have if you have a family
Driver (Former Employee), Beardstown, ILMay 21, 2014
the supervisor doesn't do what she says she's going to do. you are on call 24hrs a day with only 1 day off a week. only pays minimum wage but you get screwed when it comes to overtime pay
Horrible place...
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSMay 20, 2014
Pros: work weeks 3 1/2 days.
Cons: health care is horrible- cheapest plan they could find, no raises.
Rules change from day to day. Rules change in ordinary life but NOT every single day. There are no raises, no praises, no at a boy's, definitely not appreciative of the hard work put in by anyone. The job itself was easy but at some point the lack of appreciation wears on a person. There is constant talk of bonuses that never are seen.
I enyoed my job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSMay 19, 2014
Pros: loved the hours
Cons: some of the people
I worked 12 hour days, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and 6 hours on Wednesday. I enjoyed my work. I learned to enjoy myself. Management needed work, my coworkers were awsome. I enyoed the work.
simplicity
Driver (Current Employee), Smithville TexasMarch 2, 2014
Pros: simplicity, short work week
Cons: pay
Been here for a while the job it's self is so simple for anyone with common sense. 12 hour shifts with with the possibility of being able to get rest or driving the whole time. Just depends on how many railroaders need picked up. Like any place this job can have people you aren't going to get along with but for the majority of the time it's great. The pay sucks but that's to be expected with a minimum wage job. The pros is a simple 3 days a week to get your hours. Smithville location Gets paid by the hour unlike some other places who get paid by the mile.
Productive and fun place
Long Haul Driver (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: getting paid every two weeks, and transported railcrews for the first time.
Cons: my boss
Transported railcrews to and from different destinations.
Very unprofessional
Professional Driver (Former Employee), Springfield, MoJanuary 11, 2014
There was no typical day of work at this place. You never knew whn you were going to work and if you did get work how long it would be for.

RAILCREW XPRESS Salaries