RAILCREW XPRESS Employee Reviews in United States

Very unorganized Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2016
This company pays barely nothing per hour but expects you to be on call 24 hours per day whenever they choose to call. I was called for a trip twice and the information wasn't accurate about the trip. This was supposed to be some extra money for me but I quit after driving to pick up a van that wasn't in the correct location as dispatch stated. The will call you anytime during the night or early in the morning and expect you to drop what you're doing to take a trip. If you decline or have plans the will give you a attitude. This job ia for someone who don't mind making less than $9 per hour and don't have a family or social life.
Pros
Driving different places in the surounding area
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cahokia, ILMay 18, 2016
Had fun with my coworker
Always learning new places to go
Hardest place of the job is waking up different time of the day and night
Pros
Learning more about the company n the crew
Cons
being on call all the time
Drove people to and from their jobs, maintained three vechiles monthly checks
Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  Broken Bow, NEMarch 28, 2016
work was as your name came available

learned lots of train information, what the train is, what the codes are on the rail systems, learned the general area on HWY 2

Small group of co workers, was easy to stay in touch with the manager of the area

hardest part was being awake to drive

I loved my job
Pros
BNSF Railroad (local people)
Cons
deer
Do Not Apply Here
Senior Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 1, 2016
No Job performance reviews or wage increases.

Be prepared to work 12 Hr. shift in a 2x2 area with another dispatcher. In a room with 10-12 others. 2 scheduled 15 min. breaks with a scheduled 1/2 hr. lunch break.

Must be able to multi-task and cover other dispatchers desks while they sleep, take multiple breaks, on their cell phones or just do not show up for work.

In-consistant management. Management has no integrity. Do your job and get out. Rules and regulations change daily. Health benefits are expensive. Hostile work enviorment.
Pros
Moving on
Cons
No wage increases for anyone
Horrible place to work
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Missouri Valley, IADecember 4, 2015
RCX has only one goal, to make money for their investors, not caring for the drivers. They hire people that should not be behind the wheel of a vehicle, let alone driving crews.
Managers are treated badly and there is no balance between work and personal life. Managers are expected to be on duty 24/7 and are not compensated for it.
The only thing good about the job is the crews. They are fun and easy to work with.
Pros
Crews are fun
Cons
Company policy rules
I have learned about the railroad and how it works.
driver/develper (Current Employee) –  OhioDecember 1, 2015
While working for the company I have found the most challenging aspect of my job is being on call. I have overcome this difficulty by retraining myself to the work schedule. I enjoy the stimulating conversations with the crew as I assist or transport them from place to place.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
The hours I work
great job
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2015
i think railcrew is a good job. you can make easy money but, i think it needs a pay raise,a typical day at work is okay because you get to travel. the management is friendly
okay
Driver (Former Employee) –  Newton, KSNovember 15, 2015
coworkers were nice but company just sucks because they dont pay u very good for the job u do and mangement is a revolving door
Not a place that places value on it's employees.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Crestline, OHNovember 2, 2015
Typical day involves not knowing when you will be called for action. Once you are called you have no clue when your day will be finished. A short run could turn into a huge ordeal and a 12 hour day. You receive no raises and often get called again before your rest period is completed.
Pros
Meet new people, see the countryside
Cons
Broken sleep patterns, low pay, thankless management
long hours bad pay
Driver then Dispatch supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fremont, NEAugust 30, 2015
long hours bad pay 90 hr a week if you let them give it to you
unreasonable upper management long long hours bad pay extremely stressful job
Drive Drive Drive Drive
Driver (Former Employee) –  La porte Tx.August 24, 2015
I worked only three days a week. Tuesday night at 7pm until 7 am. I get there get in the van that I work in, and wait, a crew of man about 4 of them get's in the van and I drive them where ever they need me to, most likely is there train.
Pros
Eat any time.
Cons
not enough hours or pay.
A interesting Workplace to meet new people and Travel.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dupo, ILJuly 11, 2015
I like working for Railcrew Xpress. I get to meet new people and drive to different cities and states every night. I learned how to communicate on a 2 way radio to the railroad workers. The thing I hate about my job is, I don't have a relationship with my co-workers. We all drive different vans and we work on our own. But, the most enjoyable part about my job is learning about new cities I've never heard of before and interacting with the railroad men and learning about the private lifestyle.
Pros
Travel and Given a Gas Card and Van to drive.
Cons
Van Parking Lot and Closing out trips takes forever.
Requires 12 hr shifts and is a 24/7 business. Not much time for family life
Dispatch/Starter (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEJuly 5, 2015
Starts at 5:30 am is a highly stressful and demanding job. Involves interacting with a number of other locations. Often drivers will not answer their phones and this causes even more stress for "Starter". You work alone and are totally responsible for assuring all transportation needs are fulfilled during your 12 hr shift.
Pros
Cons
High stress enviroment
Oppurtunity to use customer service
Professional driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2015
This company is good for part time work, you get the opportunity to learn about the rail road. An opportunity to safely drive rail road crews.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
a lot of wait time
Difficult hours, difficult environment
Van Dispatcher and Driver (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAMay 26, 2015
I enjoy my coworkers. We are all a hardworking group. However the nature of the job and the pay makes it very difficult for the company to keep workers. This results in the current drivers being driven into the ground with ungodly hours and times. They could be called out for a 8 hour day at 10am one day, be back by 6pm and be called out again at 2am. Shift work is easier if you can survive being an on call driver long enough to gain a shift job. Shifts are 12 hours long and you may not do a single thing, or you could drive the entire time. There is no consistency. If you are a good driver, however, the railroaders are very appreciative and tend to be very pleasant.

Any attempts to discuss pay raises and increases pleasantness of the job, such as set days off, has been singularly dismissed by higher management. Local management is good and does everything possible for the drivers. However, with little support for it's workers from the company itself, even the most dedicated workers are falling violently ill or jumping ship.
Get to travel and the workers are fairly friendly
Taxi Driver (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 20, 2015
I transport railroad workers to and from train stations and hotels.

I've learned a lot and trains and how they operate than i have previously known.

Management is cool and down to earth.

The co-workers are ok but do not have to deal with them.

The hardest part is defiantly being called in randomly not knowing how to schedule personal time.

Most enjoyable part is getting to travel out of state.
Pros
Travel
Cons
24hrs on call
Pros to working with the public
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Angleton, TXFebruary 19, 2015
When working with the public, there are many things that are likable about it. One is that you can converse with many different types of people. Two is you can also learn about others likes and dislikes and when working close with them, i.e. clothing and retail stores, you can get a feel for what they will like better than something else.

When working in a driving position, you are able to learn many different styles of driving. You learn what your limits are and how far you can drive and how long without becoming fatigued. Also, it is amenable to learn about the safety measures of driving.

When working with children of all ages, you learn about the various types of personalities that come with different age groups. For instance, in the school age bracket of children, you can set a schedule for them and once they learn this schedule, they stick to it for the most part. This schedule and structure can be set in place with any age group given that the caregiver is willing to implement the structure along with the schedule.
Pros
there are many pros to all the jobs listed.
Cons
there are many cons to all the jobs listed.
Fun Place to Work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 7, 2015
Relaxed work environment, ability to be a self motivator and self starter. Manage numerous of accounts for drivers compensation on trips.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
temporary
Chaotic and Terrible hours.
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 20, 2014
Work 12-15 hour shifts and only get maybe 8 hour break in between, non-stop like this. I loved the travel aspect of the job and the rail-road workers where mostly good people, however Dispatch and Managers didn't care about plans made or requested time off. You work when they call or they don't call back for 5-8 days. Overall I would give the job a 3 out of 5 only because I love to drive.
Pros
travel, views.
Cons
no home time, chaotic hours, terrible pay.
Love driving and enjoy being around the trains
Driver (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 1, 2014
Not enough work for the amount of employees they have hired. The hardest part is never knowing when you will go out on a run and how long you will be out.
Pros
being out of a cubicle type office
Cons
on call all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RAILCREW XPRESS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7