Railroad Commission of Texas Employee Reviews

Generally at that time was a great place, considering it was a state employee agency
Engineering Specialist III-V/ Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 17, 2017
With budget constraints and the State of Texas and elected state commissioners running to show, did not leave much error in annual budgets and so they did not have the best in office amenities. Employees created there own moral whether it was good or bad. Most of the staff at that time got along very well, this was due to a great director who ran the Midland office.
Pros
Never were subject to layoff rumors, so you did your duty and put your time in for the day and assisted.
Cons
Not much hope in pay since the legislators always had the last say....
N/a
Engineer Specialist (Current Employee) –  TXMay 22, 2016
It's a good job for job security, good people to work with. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you are making a difference.
low pay
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  MidlandAugust 10, 2015
Learned how to work and deal with different types of oil operators. Learned to be an engineering tech and the day to day operations that goes with working for the State.
Pros
good job to have for a retired person with oil field experience.
Cons
no advancement, low pay, you pay for your benefits.
Very Busy
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 18, 2015
I absolutely love working for the Railroad Commission! There is never a dull day and you always have something to work on. My only complaint is that the pay is not so good, but thats what you get when you work for the state.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Not paid enough
It was an enjoyable workplace until they had a change in management.
Administrative Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work was enjoyable because I learned new aspects of the job daily because I worked with the director of the department. I learned the rules, regulations and safety measures that had to be taken while working with Liquefied Petroleum Gas, Compressed Natural Gas and Liquefied Natural Gas. I enjoyed working with the management team, because I learned so much from them. My co-workers were okay and lot of them disliked me because I worked with management, but I looked at it like this, they had the same opportunity to apply for the job just like I did. The hardest part of the job was being was understanding why my co-workers did not like me. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the director, learning the rules and regulations and being a to keep busy. I enjoyed my job so much I would bring work home.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the director and learning new things.
Cons
Understanding my co-workers at times.
Railroad Commission of Texas
Engineering Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
I love the job, but when the oil industry is not thriving, neither are we. With the falling prices of oil, drilling has slowed, and so has the work. Our compensation is tied to special legislative sessions, so we are never sure if there will be an increase or not. There is some red tape. Raises and merit pay is almost non-existent. The environment is great. I love my bosses, just wish there was better compensation.
Pros
Great work environment and longevity
Cons
State job with state pay
deadline-driven, offering a superior work ethic, great attention to detail, and excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, time-managemen
Engineer Technician III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 28, 2013
It was a wonderful place to work closely with engineers and other administrative technicians. We worked hard to meet deadlines each month. We were a team who worked together to accomplish our goals and solve problems. The challenges we faced each day by facing demands of the Oil and Gas industry were not easy. But we prided ourselves in trying to satisfy the expectations of each customer. We worked hard and celebrated our accomplishments together as a team. I learned as a team leader, that the secret in leading is acknowledging and standing up for the teams needs, and supplying enough support to meet their needs.
Pros
when available, merit raises were a bonus
Cons
extremely competetive
long hours, low pay
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2013
long hours and low pay. Dealing with Austin politics and people with little to no field experience.
Pros
security
Cons
management - austin

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Railroad Commission of Texas. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3