Rain Bird Corporation

Rain Bird Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Great Brand - Poor Culture
PRODUCT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at Rain Bid while it lasted. Best part was my co workers and the exciting products Rain Bird offers. Unfortunately the company is run by fear, and the culture was not positive while I was there. Very high turn over rate.
Didnt like the environment
MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 23, 2016
Management and co-workers too judgmental. But the work is great and the experience will take you far with advancement opportunities.
Good Place to Work and different areas
Installer, Contractor (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VIJanuary 21, 2016
the management is good and everybody works like a team. the hardest part is digging the holes to put the pipe in the ground and make sure we dont break no plants.
a very productive workplace with friendly people
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Steele, ALDecember 19, 2015
My typical day at work we get there and start off with our shift meeting and getting our assignments. I start off on the sit down lift unloading a trailer in the receiving department after we unload the truck then some times I start replenishment on the stand up as well as doing put away. I had the best manager and the friendliest co workers the hardest part of my job was nothing I am a fast and good learner and the most enjoyable part of my job we was a family.
Horrible
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 11, 2015
I don't know where all these 5 star reviews are coming from. As a seasoned professional with prior experience within top tier corporations, I was hired because of my broad range of skills and abilities to implement strategies to drive change.
The culture is terrible. Sr Managers micro manage seasoned professionals with a "manager by fear & intimidation" method, primarily because they are afraid their incompetencies with be revealed.
Quashing new ideas & innovation many professionals either throw in the towel & quit. While others stay because they have relocated their family to Tucson & feel trapped. HR is non existing. It is widely know a female professional was terminated after experiencing workplace harrassment from a Sr manager. She complained & was fired the next day.
This place is run with a 1970's philosophy of business.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Sr Management
Great opportunity
Advertising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAOctober 21, 2015
Rain Bird is a good company, I advanced during my tenure at Rain Bird.
Great management that I worked under that mentored and developed your talents.
Shared knowledge and challenged you to excel.
Recognized your accomplishments.
Pros
Great compensation, great people, and a nice work environment.
Cons
Layoffs

Comment – November 6, 2015

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are glad you gained career growth at Rain Bird, as there are a number of areas that our employees can move into.

A strong and capable aerospace manufacturing company
VICE PRESIDENT HUMAN RESOURCES (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 7, 2015
With 600 people in 6 locations in the US and Europe, this was an interesting and lively company. HR, here, was of my design and was both fun and rewarding. The people at all levels were excellent to work with and we accomplished a great deal in both culture and productivity.
Pros
Stability and opportunity

Comment – November 6, 2015

Thank you for your comments regarding Rain Bird. We wish you good luck in your new career.

Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAJuly 19, 2015
management picks favorites. Will not keep you even if you are doing a good job. only last 11 months. A repetitive job doing the same work, nothing changes. No chance for advancement.

Comment – November 6, 2015

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry that you had this experience.

Good and bad
Supplier (Former Employee) –  Azusa, Tucson, Otai MesaJuly 17, 2015
I worked for many years with Rainbird as a supplier. I was able to spend a lot of time in Azusa, Tuscon, and Mexico working with the various manufacturing sites. I saw so so many great and talented managers leave the company. I personnaly learned a lot by working with Rainbird's talent. Some of the best people I have ever worked with were Rainbird managers and Engineers. Talented, innovative, sincere, motivated, ethical engineers and managers, and they get fired or they quit. Many years ago, I had the opportunity of observing an interview for an engineer. It was intense. No wonder they get good people, they just can't keep them. Regardless, I only buy Rainbird because of the engineering, the quality and the talent that went into making something as simple as a nozzle.
Pros
Good product
Cons
Bad culture

Comment – November 6, 2015

Thank you, we agree there are very talented people who work at Rain Bird, many of whom continue to work for the company for years. Thank you for your praise of our quality product.

Back order
back order controller (Current Employee) –  Calera, ALApril 6, 2015
great company good pay but hardly no overtime very easy to learn very understanding people the management is very appreciative of the employees.
Pros
good people good pay and easy to learn
Cons
no overtime

Comment – November 6, 2015

Thank you for your input. We try to develop a work-life balance so employees do not have overtime.

Produtive and fun place to work
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Calera, ALMarch 5, 2015
Great place to work, however there was no advancement. Co-workers were helpful. I learned some skills for warehouse work.

Comment – November 6, 2015

We appreciate your input. We have new management in the facility and believe they will develop more career paths for your employees.

Nice,Clean Safe Working Environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 14, 2014
Steady Work,Clean Work Environment,I was Only there for 6 Months,didn't miss a single day!!!
Pros
3-12 hour days and 1- 6 hour day off fri-sun till 6 pm
Cons
i was a temp staffed there, i wanted full-time!!!

Comment – November 6, 2015

Thank you for your comments. We hope you will consider applying to work for Rain Bird in the future.

Very productive place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 26, 2014
As a Supervisor, scheduling, new hiring orientation and training, payroll, call volume adherence. As a Customer Service Rep I would receive incoming calls from customers to troubleshoot their problems with their irrigation system.
Great Workplace
Engineering Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 14, 2014
A typical day at work is knowing that I will do something different every day. I learned how to test high pressure valves. Do set ups and tear downs. Testing solenoids for on and off shutoff times. Great management and engineering staff. Co-workers were fun to work with. I learned alot from them as well as teach new employees what I learned. The hardest part of the job was lifting extremely heavy equipment and pipes. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with engineering.
great travel opportunities
OFFSHORE PROJECT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 13, 2014
learned a lot about die casting and bronze casting,
functional tolerances
Able tom use my Spanish language skills.
Management was supportive of new ideas
biggest problem was the driving distance from my home 1 hr one way.
Pros
travel
Cons
long commute
Love the highway
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaFebruary 6, 2014
Driving to customer sites to perform installations, repairs or expansions to central control systems.
Pros
set your own schedules, freedom of planning, great people to meet and work with.
Cons
the territory is large, lots of driving time involved.
Results Oriented Company
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 10, 2013
Multiple Strategic Business Units to advance career. Leader in the Irrigation Industry.
Challenging environment with good compensation
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 7, 2013
Rain Bird provides a challenging work environment that allows some to flourish and many to flounder. My experience with the company has been generally positive as I have been able to grow and be promoted multiple times. However, it is common to see new hires only last a short time whom are unable to adapt to the work environment.

There are many very, very smart and intelligent people here and they strive to only hire the best. However, management does seem short-sited on many issues. Corporate politics and secrecy is prevalent.
Pros
compensation, co-workers
Cons
senior management, corporate politics, human resources
Stopover at best
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 30, 2013
Living in a city like Tucson, RB has to offer the compensation that it does. This added to the fact that there is complete misdirection from the management adds to an employees stress level.
There certainly are some pros like decent to expert (in their field) coworkers, introduction to new technologies (though they do not believe in training their employees), opportunity to contribute to practically every field, dealing with a diverse group of people and becoming an expert mentor (as they aren't focused on retention).

The Cons certainly outweigh the Pros of working here.
Namely:
- Lack of originality at management level (has become a follower in the industry rather than a leader)
- No advancement opportunities
- High Turnover
- Lack of local talent (or the fact that RB has burned several employees/candidates)
- Directionless management
- No retention/growth (personal) policy
- Redundant work with aversion towards change

The most challenging part of the job was trying to do things right while trying to get that (same) point across salesmen, managers & consultants, and at the same time handling multiple projects.

RB is an international company lost in its history trying to compete with players in an established market while having no game plan.
Very good company!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calera, ALAugust 26, 2013
I loved this warehouse. I started as a temp & with in one year I went from temp to hire on to hire on to lead & then from lead to manager. They really cared for the workers & the job we did & they would show this in pay & in bonuses .I honestly can not remember one bad thing with Rainbird.
Pros
great company
Cons
i had to move