Rain Bird Corporation Employee Reviews

Stable, conservative but interesting
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Azusa, CAAugust 4, 2016
Working on new products at Rain Bird is very interesting.
Freedom to work on projects, not much micro managing
Attitude is to get the job done, if you need something get it and ask permission later. This is good when prototyping or testing and a need arises for materials.
Business environment is somewhat conservative and the offices are dated, no windows, no free coffee.
Pros
Compensation, interesting projects, no micro-managing
Cons
Conservative business atmosphere, dress code, dated furnishings, no free coffee
75% of coworkers are great
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 31, 2016
Assigned as a temp thru job agency with 11 month contract, with no opportunity to go permanent. Benefits not great thru agency, no paid time off or holiday pay, was offered health insurance thru agency, but already have thru my retirement from different company
Good pay, poor leadership, high turn-over
Sr. Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Good pay, but most people only last less than 6 months. Hire top talent, but very rigid/controlling/fearful culture. Lack freedom to be innovative or make decisions.
Challenging environment with good compensation
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 7, 2013
Rain Bird provides a challenging work environment that allows some to flourish and many to flounder. My experience with the company has been generally positive as I have been able to grow and be promoted multiple times. However, it is common to see new hires only last a short time whom are unable to adapt to the work environment.

There are many very, very smart and intelligent people here and they strive to only hire the best. However, management does seem short-sited on many issues. Corporate politics and secrecy is prevalent.
Pros
Compensation, Co-workers
Cons
Senior Management, Corporate Politics, Human Resources
Great opportunity
Advertising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAOctober 21, 2015
Rain Bird is a good company, I advanced during my tenure at Rain Bird.
Great management that I worked under that mentored and developed your talents.
Shared knowledge and challenged you to excel.
Recognized your accomplishments.
Pros
Great compensation, great people, and a nice work environment.
Cons
Layoffs
November 6, 2015

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are glad you gained career growth at Rain Bird, as there are a number of areas that our employees can move into.

difficult company to work for with high turn over
sales (Current Employee) –  tucsonDecember 8, 2011
The culture is poor and based mostly on fear of your job. Most people only last about a year and a half with the company. Turn over is high in corporate positions and sales. It is seen as a badge of management to fire people to show that you can make a hard decision. They hire some of the best people I have ever worked with, but then the quickly drive the majority of them away.
Pros
pay is above average
Cons
health benefits are poor to terrible, no job security, no sense of values.
Horrible
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 11, 2015
I don't know where all these 5 star reviews are coming from. As a seasoned professional with prior experience within top tier corporations, I was hired because of my broad range of skills and abilities to implement strategies to drive change.
The culture is terrible. Sr Managers micro manage seasoned professionals with a "manager by fear & intimidation" method, primarily because they are afraid their incompetencies with be revealed.
Quashing new ideas & innovation many professionals either throw in the towel & quit. While others stay because they have relocated their family to Tucson & feel trapped. HR is non existing. It is widely know a female professional was terminated after experiencing workplace harrassment from a Sr manager. She complained & was fired the next day.
This place is run with a 1970's philosophy of business.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Sr Management
May 6, 2016

Thank you for your comments, we are taking steps to address all concerns so Rain Bird employees have a positive experience. Please be aware the HR area takes all terminations very seriously, and what was rumored likely was not the entire circumstance that led to this change.

Stopover at best
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 30, 2013
Living in a city like Tucson, RB has to offer the compensation that it does. This added to the fact that there is complete misdirection from the management adds to an employees stress level.
There certainly are some pros like decent to expert (in their field) coworkers, introduction to new technologies (though they do not believe in training their employees), opportunity to contribute to practically every field, dealing with a diverse group of people and becoming an expert mentor (as they aren't focused on retention).

The Cons certainly outweigh the Pros of working here.
Namely:
- Lack of originality at management level (has become a follower in the industry rather than a leader)
- No advancement opportunities
- High Turnover
- Lack of local talent (or the fact that RB has burned several employees/candidates)
- Directionless management
- No retention/growth (personal) policy
- Redundant work with aversion towards change

The most challenging part of the job was trying to do things right while trying to get that (same) point across salesmen, managers & consultants, and at the same time handling multiple projects.

RB is an international company lost in its history trying to compete with players in an established market while having no game plan.
Interesting work environment.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Azusa, CAJune 12, 2016
Interesting, high paced trusting work environment. Nice co-workers and supporting management. Work hours are challenging and 10 hour days common.
Great products aimed at the irrigation industry
Contractor Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 14, 2013
Overall the product line at RainBird is very good. Innovative and practical to use.

Creating relationships with contractors while having a distribution network support you is critical and often difficult.

Good compensation plan - good communication on how to succeed and earn bonus potential.
Always challenging and fun
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 12, 2016
If you truly want to know how far you can be pushed this is a great company for that. There is never a dull moment in this company and there is always so much to learn
Good and bad
Supplier (Former Employee) –  Azusa, Tucson, Otai MesaJuly 17, 2015
I worked for many years with Rainbird as a supplier. I was able to spend a lot of time in Azusa, Tuscon, and Mexico working with the various manufacturing sites. I saw so so many great and talented managers leave the company. I personnaly learned a lot by working with Rainbird's talent. Some of the best people I have ever worked with were Rainbird managers and Engineers. Talented, innovative, sincere, motivated, ethical engineers and managers, and they get fired or they quit. Many years ago, I had the opportunity of observing an interview for an engineer. It was intense. No wonder they get good people, they just can't keep them. Regardless, I only buy Rainbird because of the engineering, the quality and the talent that went into making something as simple as a nozzle.
Pros
Good product
Cons
Bad culture
November 6, 2015

Thank you, we agree there are very talented people who work at Rain Bird, many of whom continue to work for the company for years. Thank you for your praise of our quality product.

Fun and fast paced
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAJune 26, 2012
Very friendly coworkers and bosses... lots of benefits in regards to safety and many other things.
Pros
great experience
Cons
only temp positions available
Opportunity is there but short sighted
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 29, 2016
Its a good company but management is out of touch with the market. They manage likes its 1984. Team environment just causes people to blame the other channel for any failure.
Didnt like the environment
MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 23, 2016
Management and co-workers too judgmental. But the work is great and the experience will take you far with advancement opportunities.
Great Brand - Poor Culture
PRODUCT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at Rain Bid while it lasted. Best part was my co workers and the exciting products Rain Bird offers. Unfortunately the company is run by fear, and the culture was not positive while I was there. Very high turn over rate.
a very productive workplace with friendly people
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Steele, ALDecember 19, 2015
My typical day at work we get there and start off with our shift meeting and getting our assignments. I start off on the sit down lift unloading a trailer in the receiving department after we unload the truck then some times I start replenishment on the stand up as well as doing put away. I had the best manager and the friendliest co workers the hardest part of my job was nothing I am a fast and good learner and the most enjoyable part of my job we was a family.
Good Place to Work and different areas
Installer, Contractor (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VIJanuary 21, 2016
the management is good and everybody works like a team. the hardest part is digging the holes to put the pipe in the ground and make sure we dont break no plants.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAJuly 19, 2015
management picks favorites. Will not keep you even if you are doing a good job. only last 11 months. A repetitive job doing the same work, nothing changes. No chance for advancement.
November 6, 2015

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry that you had this experience.

A strong and capable aerospace manufacturing company
VICE PRESIDENT HUMAN RESOURCES (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 7, 2015
With 600 people in 6 locations in the US and Europe, this was an interesting and lively company. HR, here, was of my design and was both fun and rewarding. The people at all levels were excellent to work with and we accomplished a great deal in both culture and productivity.
Pros
Stability and opportunity
November 6, 2015

Thank you for your comments regarding Rain Bird. We wish you good luck in your new career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rain Bird Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9