Random House, Inc.

Random House, Inc. Employer Reviews

Fork lift operator (Current Employee), Westminster, MDAugust 6, 2014
Ok place to work just too far from my house. Trying to find something closer to Shrewsbury, PA
Great people
OP1 (Former Employee), Westminster, MDMarch 17, 2014
Pros: working with friends and family
Cons: late shift
Work was great. Enough breaks and cool people to talk to. I worked hard and always had something to do.
Nice feeling workplace
Shipping/Service Area (Former Employee), Westminster, MDFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: nice breaks and friendly people
Cons: feel as though some people didnt do thier hardest work
Very good benefits and overtime was available all the time.
Productive and fun place to work
Language Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2014
The people including our supervisors always there when you need them. They are very supportive and very open to feedback and suggestions.
co-workers are a helpful.
Fork Lift Driver (Former Employee), Westminster, MDDecember 11, 2013
fill order using voice command headsets, filling mass orders with forklifts, processing completed orders for shipment.
Customer Service
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Westminster, MDSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: benefits, luncheons, xmas party, vacation & sick time was awesome
Cons: favoritism, lack of empowerment, salary not competative
Typical day at work would be handling incoming phone calls from 8:30 to 11:00am...from 11:00 to 3:00 we would be off the phones when the part time reps came in so we could handle our multi-million dollar accounts, however any email that comes in has to be answered within 2 hours regardless if your on the phone or not so prioritizing is a skill especially when taking up to 75 calls before 11am.

I've had the opportunity to learn customer service, be the back up to the administrative assistant, helped key orders and also helped in the communication room directing calls to the appropriate departments.

Management liked to micro manage, they told us we have the opportunity to be empowered, however if we told a customer or sales rep NO, we got rolled under the bus and were told to apologize and give them what they wanted regardless if it was against procedure. There were certain accounts that got what ever they wanted and then there were the other accounts where management stuck to procedure, it was not across the board for everyone. There was no change of advancement once you reached the Customer Service Coordinator position which was salary.

My coworkers were awesome, we worked so well as a team to help each other get the job done.

The hardest part of the job was having to go to the manager and show them what type of email you were sending or if it was possible to accommodate the customer or sales rep because we were usually scrutinized and told to change our verbiage and show them before we sent it so the could approve.

The best part of my day was talking to the customers and authors
Best place in Crawfordsville to work!!
Production (Current Employee), Crawfordsville, IndianaJuly 29, 2013
Pros: everything!!
By far the best place to work in Crawfordsville Indiana. Benefits are out of this world, pay is excellent, and you start off day one with 3 weeks vacation!! Co-workers are very friendly and always willing to help!! I really love my job!!
Horrible!
Analyst (Former Employee), Westminster, MarylandMay 4, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: politics
Female office politics are horrendous. Your work will be stolen by others during meetings by your boss. Back stabbing environment. If you're not a member of "The Club" your life will be miserable.
Accounts Payable at Random House
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Westminster, MDMay 2, 2013
Pros: good benefits, caring supervisor, a lot of vacation, personal, sick time
Cons: compensation did not reflect performance, typical office gossip
I was a clerk in the Accounts Payable Department. I was a "keyer" which meant that I would manually enter invoices for payment as they came in to our office. My supervisors were exceptional. They were very caring and seemed to not only care about the person as an employee but also on a personal level. The majority of my co-workers were very competent. Some chose to break rules and many got away with it because they were doing the bare minimum requirements. I actually enjoyed being busy and chose not to go that route and would ask for additional work which did seem to be noticed by supervisors but not always show in compensation as everyone would receive a certain percentage for a yearly raise which didn't seemed to be based on the work performance. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting long-term goals that would seem almost impossible when we began. ie. becoming a paperless department
interesting customers
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 22, 2013
A typical day is dealing with customers with different backgrounds and culture. Learned a lot about watches that i didn't know about. I learned alot about to take care a watches. Antique watches.
If you get hurt at work don't go through Worker's Comp., also be prepared to work with rude coworkers and supervisors.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Crawfordsville, INApril 10, 2013
If you get hurt at work and go through worker's comp., they will send you to their doctor, but not before they make it seem like it was completely your fault you got hurt. If you have surgery because of it you will get sent back to work the next work day. They don't allow time off for worker's comp surgery/ injury. You do get lots of paid time off. I used mine for my surgery. Co-workers and supervisors often are very rude and they like to argue with each other. The best part of the job, though, is the insurance.
routine work, not for a moderate size family
Order Processor (Former Employee), Crawfordsville, INApril 2, 2013
pay was little even when advanced as high as possible not exceeding management. only rewards were the free book giveaways, and the overall health benefits. Pay on the other hand would leave you questioning which is more important..
Event Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 28, 2012
• Assisted Director of events in arranging and attended meetings for author appearances
• Process and finalized delivery of books to Vendors
• Prepared authors and publicist for the National Publishing Trade Shows
Arranged travel & hotel reservations for publisher attending nationwide trade shows
• Processed recorded information about book vendors and account proposals
fast pace work enviornment
Picker (Former Employee), Crawfordsville, INOctober 23, 2012
Pros: fun comity
Cons: no lunch
most coworkers are easy to get along with. learned something new almost everyday. hardest part of the job would be rate.
warehoue
Processor 4 - Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Westminster, MDOctober 15, 2012
the job i worked i really liked,but the work handed out was from groupleader which was given to her favorite persons.Which only hurt my bonus,because i had to work twice as hard.Co workers also complained to management nothing was done. I would of liked the opportunity to advance.Management want to know whats going on in warehouse,tell on wrong person they retailate on you.I never lost time,because I liked doing my job,and some of my co workers were nice.The benifits are good
Productive work place loved working with fellow employee
Credit/collection Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2012
It was a wonderful place to work at enjoyed the people that I worked with in general. The manager are very helpful in explaning work related problems.
decent job
Material Handler (Former Employee), Crawfordsville, INAugust 17, 2012
Pros: fast advancement
Cons: low pay
The day to day tasks were fast paced. Advancement was easy however pay was lacking. Left job due to relocation. Plenty of good benefits.
Executive Assistant to Department Head
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), New YorkJuly 29, 2012
Pros: loved it
I had a very interesting job with very eclectic job responsibilites
Wonderful Place to work
Director (Former Employee), NY, NYMarch 2, 2012
Pros: creative, challenging, engaging
Innovative, Engaging Atmosphere, Professional. Brilliant management