Rapid7 Employee Reviews in United States

fun place to work
Sales Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 16, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Rapid7. If they had made an offer after my internship, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. The people are great and I found the work to be fulfilling.
loved the work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDApril 29, 2016
i loved the fast paced environment, kept me focused and diligent on my task at hand. learned how to effectively complete task's in a efficient manner. loved the management, when the company grew i felt like i grew too.
Pros
hour breaks
Cons
no coffee cups for employee's
All that glitters is not gold.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2015
Not recommended for seasoned administrative professionals. Not an empowering environment for powerful females due to management.
Pros
Lots of free snacks and drinks plus good benefits; awesome CEO
Boiler Room with awful people
Sales (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 5, 2015
Management does not care about you as a person - its you, the number. Peers are very shrewd and have defined cliques (yes, it is like a middle school). Weren't there from the beginning? Don't even bother trying to fit in. Very loud music is played constantly, footballs and soccer balls are tossed around - makes having a serious client conversation very difficult. Management also does not care about customers. It's a "boiler room" type environment where you are required to just call without strategy and if you don't, you get reprimanded. The Sales team is one giant joke that revolves around a lack of strategy, poor management and silly rituals. Every time someone closes a deal, you have to listen to someone bang on an OBNOXIOUS gong and then you are required to waste 10 minutes high-fiving everyone on the floor. If you do not, you are reprimanded. Conversations are had at full volume, with some reps yelling profanities and making very inappropriate jokes - despite you having to call customers simultaneously. Its a company that cares more about how "cool" the people are that come in the door, rather than if they are quality employees and can actually perform the job. If you don't jive with their silly culture, you will be made aware of your place on the outside. Long story short, if you want a job where you have potential to advance and actually learn how to sell effectively, this is not it. Your growth will be stunted by political BS, favoritism, and an overall lack of appreciation for the individual.
Pros
Paycheck, Relevant Products
Cons
the sales people were just so rude, shallow and closed to new employees that it made the job very unpleasant
Upbeat, Intense, Playful Work Environment!
Account Executive, Mid-Market (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 30, 2015
Long hours but a great place to work with good people. A lot of people get burned out so you have to be able to roll with the punches and come in ready to work everyday.

This company is in the best position industry from a sales perspective. Security is a hot topic these days and companies are required to own the products/ services they provide.

All in all worth working here if you can keep up with a fast paste work environment.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
No matching 401k. Long Hours.
A Great Place for Software Engineers
Manager of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 15, 2015
There is nearly always something interesting and challenging to work on at Rapid7. Team members are fun to work with and quite competent. The SDLC is mostly agile.

Work/life balance is very good. Results are by far more important here than logging hours. There are generally core hours when meetings occur leaving schedules relatively flexible.

Executive management is approachable and happy to discuss any ideas or concerns.
Pros
interesting work, great people, company appears to value employees, good pay, many perks
Cons
no 401(k) match
A Nightmare
Engineering (Former Employee) –  BostonJuly 16, 2014
Run, don't walk, from this place. A bunch of kids playing with the toy they're being paid to push. Management a joke.
Rapid7 appreciates engineers.
Senior UI Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 8, 2013
Most days I come and leave when I feel like; as long as I get my work done and communicate my status at our daily standup, everything is good. I'm able to work from home when I need to. Deadlines are in place, but the workload is rarely a burden.

The different teams are fairly silo'd, so it may be different depending on where you land. Despite high salaries, good benefits, and a flexible workplace, turnover is fairly high. I think upper management may be trying to optimize too much sometimes.
Pros
good pay/benefits, free snacks/drinks, good workstation, work from home when needed
Cons
high turnover
A mismanaged company
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 5, 2013
If you have a decent career, don't ruin it by gambling on Rapid7. This is the main purpose of my review, to prevent another person from making the same mistake as myself and others who joined this company.

Typical day: work 10 hours at home or office. Work can be very interesting to very boring.

Learned: rule engine programming

Management: or lack thereof, terrible

Hardest part: not doing proper research on this company before joining

Enjoyable part: co-workers

Pros:

# good co-workers, depending on your luck
# challenging work
# ability to work from home

Cons:

# incompetent management from CEO to manager level. Company changes directions multiple times in quarters while not hiring additional resources, there is essentially no plan. Managers need training, a lot of them are highly technical people who have been promoted to manager level too soon.

# insane work hours... I would put the daily average at around 10 hr / day for the core engineering teams. I have never seen employees work this long before, of course some overtime is understood but overtime all the time?

# high level of bureaucracy and back biting and little chance of career advancement.

# lack of proper QA, testing is usually 2-4 days before release to public
Pros
co-workers, work, telecommute
Cons
overtime, mismanagement, bureaucracy, deceit
The best career decision I've ever made!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2013
Such an amazing mix of innovation, culture, passion, and a work/life balance is encouraged!
Challenging and Fun Place to Work
Talent Acquisition Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 13, 2013
I have been here for 6 years and often get asked why I have been here as long as I have. Here are my reasons:
*Love the people I work with and work for. Everyone is passionate about what they do and care about doing quality work. Also, people are not afraid to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. No such thing as 'that's not included in my job description' - (and yes, this includes upper-level management - on a technical or non-technical level).
*Career advancement opportunities. This is a combination from rapid7 growth and working hard. If you are going above and beyond, you will get career advancement or transfer to a department you're interested in getting into. If you are doing what's 'required,', you will not see opportunities.
*Piggy-backing off bullet point #2, it's fun being part of a growing company; every year is different and presents a set of new challenges.

Things I wish I could change:
*Benefits are average, nothing remarkable
Pros
free lunch on fridays, unlimited vacation
benefits
Best Career Experience you will ever have
Director at Rapid7 (Current Employee) –  BostonFebruary 13, 2013
I have been with Rapid7 for almost two years now and without a doubt it has been the most satisfying, exciting and growth oriented experience of my career. This is a company that embraces innovation and new ideas, encouraging their employees to push what is possible. The people are really smart and also very dedicated to succeed. There is unlimited growth potential and the executive team really invests in their groups, from learning initiatives to career planning. Oh - we also have a ton of fun here too. It is not often I would say it is "fun" to go to work every day, but Rapid7 makes me often feel that way. We have a high bar for who we hire - but if you are up to it you should definitely check us out.
Pros
great culture, people, products, leadership, growth
Great growth and exciting company
Channel Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 30, 2012
Great company to work for and definitely an exciting place to work.
Great progressive company to work for.
Senior Security Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2012
Progressive company with amazing security products and services. Talented co-workers, eager to learn and accelerate their careers. Obtained advanced knowledge of security applications, best practices and compliance regulations across many industries. My position required weekly out-of-state travel. Had the opportunity to meet great people in the IT Security and related fields.
Pros
travel everywhere in the world.
Cons
never home and paying a mortgage.