Raritan Valley Community College Employee Reviews

Best part-time job
Adjunct Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJanuary 14, 2018
Working as an adjunct instructor at RVCC is probably the best part-time job you could ask for. Mentally stimulating. Great people to work with. Lots of autonomy. I love working with the students. I think their rate of pay is better than the other community colleges in the state. Still, it's a part-time job. There are "soft" perks - you can wear what you want, the school closes in bad weather, things like that. The hard perks, though, are few. Raises are pre-negotiated and you get them automatically. Promotions are based on semesters of service, so as long as you remember to apply, you'll get them. You can get free tuition if there are any courses that interest you. You can contribute to TIAA-CREF. I think there is an option to purchase health insurance, but I think it's pretty expensive. You get paid per class, so if you need to miss a day because you are sick, you are not docked, so, in a way, I suppose that's a paid sick day. I think the hardest part of the job would be if you wanted to transition to full-time. The departments just don't hire a lot of full-timers because they have to be able to adjust quickly to whatever the enrollment is that semester.
Pros
The students
Cons
Hard to get a full-time position.
Fast Paced, Helping out students
Office Assistant/Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJDecember 3, 2017
On a typical day, I would be just filing papers or helping out the front desk. I would also go and help any students who needed any admissions assistance for the school.
no benefits
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  28 lamington Road Branch berg New JeraeyDecember 2, 2017
Good Adjucnt office to do college work or grade exams

After 17 years of service no benefit Though the college keeps good maintenance and cleanliness at class rooms and building
Pros
Pension after retirement
Cons
No health benefit
Great place to work for
Finance Assistant-A/R (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJNovember 8, 2017
Working at RVCC has been a great opportunity. I have learned alot about college finance and the ins and outs of the back side of the finance department.
I work with really great people. Even the other departments are very friendly and inviting.
Hard to Get a Job Through Them.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJAugust 8, 2017
If you are able to get a job RVCC, then you're likely to have a job for life. Sadly, it's hard to get a job with them and their human resource team is terrible in terms of communicating and get back to people after they call.
Pros
Laid-Back job. Relaxed environment.
Cons
Terrible Human Resource Management
Very easy going.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJuly 27, 2017
Working here was nice and easy. They are so understanding with being a full time student and putting our studies first. Being a first year student is a tough transition but they help out which is nice.
Rvcc
Student (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJuly 25, 2017
Learning process.
RVCC is nationally recognized for its educational excellence, innovative programming, dedicated service to the community, and environmental leadership. The diversity found on our campus enriches us all, and the educational opportunities we offer extend far beyond the classroom.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Failing classes
horrible company to work for
Testing Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJune 28, 2017
My boss was the biggest jerk every. He was so mean to all employes very abusive almot. did not care about anyone but himself. has been written up with hr on numerous occasions
Perfect for students
Evelyn S. Field Library Circulation Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJune 22, 2017
I worked part-time at the RVCC library and I enjoyed working there. All of the people there are a pleasure to work with and the environment is relaxed but organized.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
N/a
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJune 5, 2017
Worked as office assistant in a busy student life department at RVCC. Helped students with ID cards, club registration, etc. In house meetings with Student Gov and other clubs to uplift school spirit.
Per Diem Instructor
Instructor for Adult Education classes (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJanuary 26, 2017
I taught for the adult school and was treated very well. They prepared the class room for me and was good at reaching out to me for classes. I have a great respect for what they do and would love to take a few classes myself.
It was great while it lasted
Career Development Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJDecember 1, 2016
I worked for the college for about six years before being laid off. My department was dismantled and even though we did excellent work in the end it didn't matter which was sad. Some of the best work I ever did was for RVCC. The sad part is, I can't seem to get another chance there but from what I hear things have changed tremendously since I left and it may not even be someplace I would want to be anymore.
Benefits
Cons
Performance doesn't seem to matter
Difficult to move up or into another position
Testing Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJSeptember 30, 2016
They offer great benefits but recently health insurance has gone up. it was a very secure job but very routine and had not much freedom in being creative. Told how to do task and what to say to students. Lots of micromanagement and some coworkers didn't work as hard as others. The best part was working with students and faculty. And management was very flexible when it came to family issues and time off.
Pros
Working with students, benefits, security of the position
Cons
Benefits getting worse, job became too routine and boring, no incentives for promotion or moving to another department
Associate Professor of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Somerville, NJApril 10, 2016
Great place to work for, incredible professionals and they also sell free food, hamburgers and cheeseburges
So, one day I went to my chairperson and said hi and he said "hi" and it was so cool. Then he asked me "Who are you" and I says "I am a Statistician and he says like "oh good" and I says like "good too"" and we were like laughing and then he says so "what is your field" and I says "measure theoretical probability" and he says like "what is that" and I says ....."Imagine a sigma algebra of measurable events and try to measure continuum....."he says, ok ok, let's have a lunch
Pros
free lunches
Cons
smoking on campus
Awesome
Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJNovember 6, 2015
A breath of fresh air and a rewarding work environment. People are genuinely nice and professional, and treats others with utmost respect. Work performed is reflected in my resume of work duties and accomplishments.
Freelance Photographer
Photographer (Former Employee) –  North Branch, NJNovember 5, 2015
Took photos of sports teams, sporting facilities and grounds. Photographs were used in many facets including advertising, both print and digital.
Pre-nursing training program.
Student (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, New JerseyOctober 18, 2015
Large classes, very heavy work load. Well regarded nursing program. Students with families may find it difficult to balance demands of courses with their family.
It was a great place. It became my second family.
Admin Assist. II to Dean of Multicultural Affairs (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJOctober 15, 2015
Even though I was there for 25 years, it was never a dull moment. I had the opportunity to work in different departments, thus I learned several aspects of RVCC. My coworkers became friends and some even as family. I was able to study there, where I received two Associate Degrees. I enjoyed waking up in the morning and looking forward to going to work. Especially when my student (students from the Latino club I advised) were around and would ask for my advice; or they would tell me a success story. One of the most enjoyable part of my job was anything that involved students and student programs. Planning and organizing events - this was what actually made me a better manager and multi-tasker in my position. A typical day was checking my to do list and organizing my day in the morning by prioritizing them. Setting up meetings, doing work orders for events, confirm speakers and attendees, food orders, etc. for particular events. My boss and I would discuss new ideas and how we will implement them. The most enjoyable part of my job was when these events would have a great turnout and would be a great success. The hardest part was when the turnout would not be as good; but we would evaluate what when wrong and avoid it for the next event. Overall, RVCC was my second home and that's why I was there for 25 years.
Pros
Benefits - Summer Fridays off; free education; December Break paid; Snow Days paid
Great Environment
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJApril 30, 2015
An awesome job to have at a great college. The staff treats you good and they are just like family. You learn a lot about the job when talking to different students who come to visit.
Great place to work, fun atmosphere, dysfunctional management
Full-Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJApril 21, 2015
Great place to work, great colleagues, good benefits. Too many managers at executive level, something out of Dilbert.
Pros
nice workday, fun enviornment, great benefits
Cons
poor pay, bloated and incompetent management