Raritan Valley Community College Employee Reviews

It was great while it lasted
Career Development Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJDecember 1, 2016
I worked for the college for about six years before being laid off. My department was dismantled and even though we did excellent work in the end it didn't matter which was sad. Some of the best work I ever did was for RVCC. The sad part is, I can't seem to get another chance there but from what I hear things have changed tremendously since I left and it may not even be someplace I would want to be anymore.
Benefits
Cons
Performance doesn't seem to matter
Difficult to move up or into another position
Testing Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJSeptember 30, 2016
They offer great benefits but recently health insurance has gone up. it was a very secure job but very routine and had not much freedom in being creative. Told how to do task and what to say to students. Lots of micromanagement and some coworkers didn't work as hard as others. The best part was working with students and faculty. And management was very flexible when it came to family issues and time off.
Pros
Working with students, benefits, security of the position
Cons
Benefits getting worse, job became too routine and boring, no incentives for promotion or moving to another department
Associate Professor of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Somerville, NJApril 10, 2016
Great place to work for, incredible professionals and they also sell free food, hamburgers and cheeseburges
So, one day I went to my chairperson and said hi and he said "hi" and it was so cool. Then he asked me "Who are you" and I says "I am a Statistician and he says like "oh good" and I says like "good too"" and we were like laughing and then he says so "what is your field" and I says "measure theoretical probability" and he says like "what is that" and I says ....."Imagine a sigma algebra of measurable events and try to measure continuum....."he says, ok ok, let's have a lunch
Pros
free lunches
Cons
smoking on campus
Awesome
Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJNovember 6, 2015
A breath of fresh air and a rewarding work environment. People are genuinely nice and professional, and treats others with utmost respect. Work performed is reflected in my resume of work duties and accomplishments.
Freelance Photographer
Photographer (Former Employee) –  North Branch, NJNovember 5, 2015
Took photos of sports teams, sporting facilities and grounds. Photographs were used in many facets including advertising, both print and digital.
Pre-nursing training program.
Student (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, New JerseyOctober 18, 2015
Large classes, very heavy work load. Well regarded nursing program. Students with families may find it difficult to balance demands of courses with their family.
It was a great place. It became my second family.
Admin Assist. II to Dean of Multicultural Affairs (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJOctober 15, 2015
Even though I was there for 25 years, it was never a dull moment. I had the opportunity to work in different departments, thus I learned several aspects of RVCC. My coworkers became friends and some even as family. I was able to study there, where I received two Associate Degrees. I enjoyed waking up in the morning and looking forward to going to work. Especially when my student (students from the Latino club I advised) were around and would ask for my advice; or they would tell me a success story. One of the most enjoyable part of my job was anything that involved students and student programs. Planning and organizing events - this was what actually made me a better manager and multi-tasker in my position. A typical day was checking my to do list and organizing my day in the morning by prioritizing them. Setting up meetings, doing work orders for events, confirm speakers and attendees, food orders, etc. for particular events. My boss and I would discuss new ideas and how we will implement them. The most enjoyable part of my job was when these events would have a great turnout and would be a great success. The hardest part was when the turnout would not be as good; but we would evaluate what when wrong and avoid it for the next event. Overall, RVCC was my second home and that's why I was there for 25 years.
Pros
Benefits - Summer Fridays off; free education; December Break paid; Snow Days paid
Great Environment
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJApril 30, 2015
An awesome job to have at a great college. The staff treats you good and they are just like family. You learn a lot about the job when talking to different students who come to visit.
Great place to work, fun atmosphere, dysfunctional management
Full-Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJApril 21, 2015
Great place to work, great colleagues, good benefits. Too many managers at executive level, something out of Dilbert.
Pros
nice workday, fun enviornment, great benefits
Cons
poor pay, bloated and incompetent management
Adjuncting for 20 years
Adjunct Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Raritan, NJMarch 20, 2015
I enjoy teaching the students at RVCC. The atmosphere is small and the technology is advanced. The co-workers are kind and friendly and we all resooect each other's abilities.
Pros
small and convenience
Not a good experience
Secretary to the Director of Student Service (Former Employee) –  North Branch, NJMarch 15, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Director and other employees. However, I did not enjoy how departments were restructured and employees were forced to move to other locations.
Very calm and collected atmosphere.
Temporary Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  North Branch, NJDecember 1, 2014
Call vendors, process invoices, file, make copies, and other clerical duties.
Great place to work and teach
Professor of World Civilization I and II (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, N.J.November 6, 2014
Excellent community college. The college is rated one of the best community colleges in N.J. I wish adjuncts could work more and get paid more.
Pros
Great school for students
Cons
Adjuncts need to get paid more
Taught various levels of photography
Adjunct Teacher (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 30, 2014
Taught Basic Photography, Lighting, Getting Started as a Pro. Nothing about this job was hard. Most enjoyable part was doing something that not only interested the class but myself; i.e. working in a subject I love.
Pros
Rewarding, challenging
Cons
No cons
A Good Place to Excercise Your Brain
English, History, ESL Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJSeptember 26, 2014
RVCC's Academic Support Center is a fine place to work. A typical shift involves tutoring students in all things English-related, especially essay writing. You cannot find a nicer or harder-working management team under similar conditions. Likewise, the camaraderie among the tutors is excellent, despite our often-different backgrounds. Hardest part of the job: students who do not appreciate your services. Most Enjoyable: seeing a student succeed.
Pros
Family-like work environment, a great place to share your knowledge
Cons
No benefits, pay and hours limited by college leadership
Great place to get an education
Lead role (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJuly 1, 2014
Wonderful opportunities presented in planning nota bene event for college where students who had done note worthy work were recognized.
Fun place to study and work, and tutor others which kept e sharp
Honors College Student / Part time Tutor (Former Employee) –  North Branch, NJApril 13, 2014
Tutoring other students was rewarding, as it would both keep me refreshed on the subject matter, and also allow them to understand the material troubling them.

As a student, the courses were great and the teachers were excellent. It was a great stepping stone.

Also, the honors college was an amazing experience.
Pros
Learning, challanging myself
Desktop Support and Help Desk
Senior Micro-Computer Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Branch, NJFebruary 26, 2014
Check email and voice mail

Looking at current ticket that need to be closed

Logon to phone system

Working on daily projects
Excellent work environment
Cosmetology Educator (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, New JerseyOctober 23, 2013
Raritan Valley Community College is an a wonderful productive place to work. The Faculty and Staff go above and beyond to make an employee feel welcome.

There are many programs and activities available for an employee to participate.

I love it!
Pros
Great benefits, clean work environment, great benefits
Administration is not good-corrupt
Advancment (Former Employee) –  RVCCMarch 15, 2013
Higher ups will stab you in the back quickly just to make a buck...not willing to listen. Corrupt.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Raritan Valley Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2