Ratner Companies Employee Reviews

You determine how far you can go
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 23, 2017
It was a nice place to work, I just didn't like some of the management, they were incompetent to a point, and I didn't like the pay ratio. I started when I was young so it don't bother me then. I enjoyed my co-workers, and I controlled my client book.
Room for advancment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Orange City, FLAugust 22, 2017
I liked working with my team. I didnt like the stress I felt to sell sell products. Im not a product pusher, if I feel my client needs something I have no problem recommending it. They have made a lot of changes while I was working there some where good and help us make more money. Liked it because you have more options than just being a hairdresser. You have the ability to become more that just a stylist if want it. Thats what makes this place better than most.
Great for enrty level
Salon Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 12, 2017
Great opportunities at Ratner for stylist and mangers at all levels. the access to advance self in education to build skill set is available and no cost. Opportunities to advance as an experienced stylist is available however not attractive for most once they have become more established
great for exposure
Pros
great education training to build skill set
Cons
management opportunities
Salon
Region Trainer/Leader/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAAugust 3, 2017
I've worked at different levels - From Salon Leader/ Trainer /Stylist and mentor to other stylists. In all positions I learned to communicate and be available to adapt to current market changes that affect company's policies.
Pros
Open to creativity.
Cons
Dependent on market and trends.
Great
NJ Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJJune 13, 2017
I enjoy working for Ratner Companies> I hope to grow there. I currently work in Somerset NJ Ratner Salons and my manager is awesome> I am hoping that the pay scale improves. This fall I am seriously considering to take the benefits there and hopefully become a assistant salon leader in the near future.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Pay scale needs improvement
Great clients
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 9, 2017
Great loving clients just isn't the place for me. I love what I do. I'm an hard worker n I would like to be compensated like it. I've been having problems with my compensation and lost hours
Up and down
Hairstylist and Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAFebruary 2, 2017
Horrible place to work!!
Very corporate!
Inconsistent!
Teamwork fun!
Management not consistent (robots)
Treated very UNFAIRLY after investing 11 years with company...
Fun atmosphere with creative people
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 28, 2017
Interesting working with friendly creative hairstylist. Diverse group of co workers and clients. Forward thinking management and excellent stylist training is offered at no cost.
Pros
Fun
Decent company
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA, Norfolk, VSNovember 18, 2016
It's a nice company to work for, if you have a fair and decent management team. The employee discount is very nice. I was not there long enough to experience vacation time nor did I need the benefits.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Lack of hours
Neutral
Maintenance Person (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 16, 2016
The position was good. You work based on your board. You go to different salons in your area and do maintenance. Every other week you are on call in your area
all about making the company more, and more money
Assistant Salon Leader (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VANovember 9, 2016
They couldn't care less about the employees. Upper management only concerned with the bonus they get. So, they push, bully and threaten employees to upsell services and sell products even if client doesn't need or want them!
Pros
zero pros
Cons
horrible upper management
Fun and Creative Place to work
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAOctober 19, 2016
This was my favorite job of all. I worked for Ratner Companies for 5 years and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was fast pace and they allowed us to use our own creativity which was a advantage. I was very independent and everyday was something different. I ran the education department for 50 salons, ordering supplies to printing certification for each stylist. Unfortunately, my boss retired and relocated making the commute to work unbearable. I appreciate the years I worked with Ratner and the great experience they taught me.
Pros
free lunch, events, hair shows, free hair cut/color, lots of free hair products
Cons
location is in the center of Tyson's Corner, hard commute
Great work environment, great employees with training always availble.
Multi-Unit Manager & Regional Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 5, 2016
Great work environment! Love the company. I held many different positions with this company. All of the training was in house and provided by the company. They like to promote from with in. I learned how to manage one location, all the way to 30 locations. I loved every minute of it. Even the hard lessons. I reached a level that there really was no where to go. So the hardest part for me was realizing I had outgrown the company.
Pros
You can learn to be anyone you want in the company.
Benefits
interactive with all sight
Senior Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 29, 2016
start up of new salon and teardown old general maintenance in a hair salon industry
train and travel up and down Eastcoast to train all new maintenance tech
Co-worker great team
Hardest part of my job Manage overtime
Pros
trip for performance Cancun 1 a year or other exotic places for all districts
Cons
no more or slow advancement potential
working with people
Senior Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 30, 2015
I like the job I do because it allows me to work with the public.
daily management, customer service, performs daily management in accordance with company policy
Pros
education
Cons
on my feet all the time
Fun place to work
Accounts Payable Technician (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 24, 2015
Ratner Companies lives by it's Mission Statement and strives to create a fun and happy work environment for all who work here.
Productive, pick up slack for others
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CTSeptember 23, 2015
This was my second salon adventure. It's a great place to build your confidence and speed. I would recommend to someone who likes the corporate setting. You could bust your butt and pick up the slack for others who weren't being team players and still take a pay cut from commision because you didn't hit the goal for selling retail. There were different tiers to go up in commission and if you didn't hit one of them you stayed at the commission you were making.
Pros
clientele could request you, so you stayed busy with clients that wanted your services
Cons
short breaks, selling retail, I'm a stylist in turn cut me from making my potential, if the company put out a coupon, it would come out of our commissions not the companies side
It's an OK quick job.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2015
Don't expect a career here. Management needs serious help. No sympathy for the receptionists. Pay is minimum wage. I would only recommend working with this company if you want exposure in the cosmetology field.
Family feel workplace
master stylist (Current Employee) –  illinoisFebruary 19, 2015
I work typically 30 hours or more a week days, nights, and weekends. Company offers free classes and benefits. Hardest part of the job is the shift schedule and not having weekends off.
Pros
benefits and classes
Cons
hours
This is an average place to work.
Cosmetologist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 14, 2015
This is a great company for someone who recently graduated from beauty school.They like to groom all of their stylist to be the exact same.
Pros
Walkin clients, company advertisement
Cons
No creativity, poor commission split, no real health benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ratner Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9