Ratner Companies Employee Reviews

Decent company
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA, Norfolk, VSNovember 18, 2016
It's a nice company to work for, if you have a fair and decent management team. The employee discount is very nice. I was not there long enough to experience vacation time nor did I need the benefits.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Lack of hours
Neutral
Maintenance Person (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 16, 2016
The position was good. You work based on your board. You go to different salons in your area and do maintenance. Every other week you are on call in your area
all about making the company more, and more money
Assistant Salon Leader (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VANovember 9, 2016
They couldn't care less about the employees. Upper management only concerned with the bonus they get. So, they push, bully and threaten employees to upsell services and sell products even if client doesn't need or want them!
Pros
zero pros
Cons
horrible upper management
Fun and Creative Place to work
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAOctober 19, 2016
This was my favorite job of all. I worked for Ratner Companies for 5 years and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was fast pace and they allowed us to use our own creativity which was a advantage. I was very independent and everyday was something different. I ran the education department for 50 salons, ordering supplies to printing certification for each stylist. Unfortunately, my boss retired and relocated making the commute to work unbearable. I appreciate the years I worked with Ratner and the great experience they taught me.
Pros
free lunch, events, hair shows, free hair cut/color, lots of free hair products
Cons
location is in the center of Tyson's Corner, hard commute
Great work environment, great employees with training always availble.
Multi-Unit Manager & Regional Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 5, 2016
Great work environment! Love the company. I held many different positions with this company. All of the training was in house and provided by the company. They like to promote from with in. I learned how to manage one location, all the way to 30 locations. I loved every minute of it. Even the hard lessons. I reached a level that there really was no where to go. So the hardest part for me was realizing I had outgrown the company.
Pros
You can learn to be anyone you want in the company.
Benefits
interactive with all sight
Senior Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 29, 2016
start up of new salon and teardown old general maintenance in a hair salon industry
train and travel up and down Eastcoast to train all new maintenance tech
Co-worker great team
Hardest part of my job Manage overtime
Pros
trip for performance Cancun 1 a year or other exotic places for all districts
Cons
no more or slow advancement potential
working with people
Senior Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 30, 2015
I like the job I do because it allows me to work with the public.
daily management, customer service, performs daily management in accordance with company policy
Pros
education
Cons
on my feet all the time
Productive, pick up slack for others
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CTSeptember 23, 2015
This was my second salon adventure. It's a great place to build your confidence and speed. I would recommend to someone who likes the corporate setting. You could bust your butt and pick up the slack for others who weren't being team players and still take a pay cut from commision because you didn't hit the goal for selling retail. There were different tiers to go up in commission and if you didn't hit one of them you stayed at the commission you were making.
Pros
clientele could request you, so you stayed busy with clients that wanted your services
Cons
short breaks, selling retail, I'm a stylist in turn cut me from making my potential, if the company put out a coupon, it would come out of our commissions not the companies side
It's an OK quick job.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2015
Don't expect a career here. Management needs serious help. No sympathy for the receptionists. Pay is minimum wage. I would only recommend working with this company if you want exposure in the cosmetology field.
Family feel workplace
master stylist (Current Employee) –  illinoisFebruary 19, 2015
I work typically 30 hours or more a week days, nights, and weekends. Company offers free classes and benefits. Hardest part of the job is the shift schedule and not having weekends off.
Pros
benefits and classes
Cons
hours
This is an average place to work.
Cosmetologist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 14, 2015
This is a great company for someone who recently graduated from beauty school.They like to groom all of their stylist to be the exact same.
Pros
Walkin clients, company advertisement
Cons
No creativity, poor commission split, no real health benefits
great great great
Hair stylist Haircuttery (Former Employee) –  timoniumJanuary 4, 2015
loved this place would definitely recommend to others
fun and enjoyable great place to work especially if u just starting out
Pros
great for new stylist
Cons
slow months
Hmm
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 6, 2014
Not for the Stylist only the company. Changes pay structure all of the time. Not great on doing educatiional classes. You will do mostly clipper cuts all day, and the management is unprofessional.
Pros
great vision
Cons
horrible pay
The most dynamic place I've ever been
Digital Applications Designer (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 19, 2013
I think that sums it, a very fast paced environment, very challenging, everyone flies by the seat of their pants everyday, but at the same time, everyone is right there, ready to break your fall if anything goes wrong.
Avverage workplace
Hairdresser/Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VADecember 5, 2013
Color,cutting, and styling is typically what I did on a daily basis, also retail sales.
Family oriented work place
PROJECT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 20, 2013
It is a very nice place to work, you learn a lot and management is very nice and great co-workers.
Terrible Management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 27, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed working with clients and providing them with a pleasant experience. I didn't like the lack of leadership within the management. It was hard to go to school at the same time because they wanted me on call all the time when someone wouldn't show up for their shift.
Pros
front desk experience in a fast paced environment
Cons
lack of management and a sense of security
Uncomfortable Physically and Mentally
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bubbles Salon, Fredericksburg, VAJune 15, 2013
Working for the salon was both physically demanding (standing when there's no customers in the building, yeah that's a lot of fun) and mentally exhausting. The hairdressers liked to gossip behind your back and were not so subtle when it came to talking about you...while you were there. Management was very poor and was not concerned with receptionists and their work/life balance or even receptionists' concerns. Breathing in chemicals all day for minimum wage and nasty co-workers? No thanks! Oh and did I mention the lack of lunch? Yeah. You have to find a few minutes to eat here and there. That and you couldn't leave the front desk. or eat at the front desk. Seems a little backwards...
Pros
Worked near a window
Cons
Everything!
Could have been better.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLMay 28, 2013
Worked at one of their Hair Cuttery locations. More money needs to be invested into stores and technology. Pay wasn't great. Work environment was high drama.
A positive and productive work place.
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FL May 6, 2013
Working with a team of hair stylist that made coming into work enjoyable. We relied on each other no matter what kind of day we were having. Our manager's focus was to make the environment enjoyable for our client's as well as for the employees. It was rewarding to be able to enhance the client's beauty and see that they were satisfied with the hair service.
Pros
Having a positive connection with clients.
Cons
When I could not make a connection with my client.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ratner Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9