Raytheon Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,145 reviews matching the search
Challenging Job working with helicopters.
Aircraft Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2016
Helicopters had major components that had to be replaced at certain amount of flying hours. It was a challenge each day as you had to climb on top of the aircraft to do any king on inspection or maintenance. The structure of the helo took a lot wear and tear due to aircraft vibrations (a major issue with helos) and the helicopter was continuously in repair for structure issues such as cracks on the frame and panels of the helicopter.
Pros
Work outside or inside the hangar depending on weather conditions.
Cons
No chance of career advancement.
Interesting workplace
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 4, 2016
A typical day at work is maintenance on the Patriot Radar, admin. duties and radar operation. I have learned much about IF and RF systems in my time with Raytheon. Management treats us well, however, I feel they are growing apart from the needs of individuals. The hardest part of my job would have to be traveling for 3-6 week periods and being away from family. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing the work I am doing is making our systems better for our war fighters.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
Long drive, non-competitive pay for work
Military Aerospace Engineering
Multi-Disciplined Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJune 15, 2016
Raytheon has been a good place to work. During times of growth with work to keep the staff feeling secure it can be an enjoyable place to work. When there are reductions in head count and closing of facilities the workplace can be depressing.
There is a flex work schedule for many employees that allows the employees a daily schedule that can be better tailored to their lives. Most employees follow a 9/80 work schedule with alternating Fridays off. Benefits including health care, dental, vision, 401K, and IRA are industry standard and are adjusted every year to be in line with competing employers.
Pros
Large employer with opportunities for career advancement
Cons
Defense contractor producing weapons of war
Member of installation team building (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 23, 2016
Hours are totally flexible and a great place to work
Spent 30+ years at the company and do miss working for a large company.

Always looking for your next job. Each position has a limited time frame and once the tasks are complete then time to find another job within the company.
Pros
Challenging environment and very high tech driven
Cons
Never any money for training, Up to the individual to improve background
A great place to work with great benefits.
Production Control Planning Specialist (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 25, 2016
Flex time to allow work life balance made it easier to maintain perfect attendance. Attention to respecting others while getting the job done was a strong emphasis in the working environment. I learned the importance of integrity and the impact it has on self and others.
Pros
Flex Time and benefits
Cons
Hard to transition from non-exempt into exempt position, but not impossible.
Productive enviroment, with the opportunity to train soldiers
Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 25, 2016
Most days at Raytheon included coming in to the office and preparing lessons for the instructors to use while on conduct. this included preparing instructor and student materials. I learned to format word documents according to specific rules and to formulate articulate wording in those lessons. The hardest part about creating these lessons when your lesson is sent back for having a comma out of pace, but the best part is traveling to the various posts to train new soldiers on the same equipment I used for 18 years.
Pros
the work day ended at 1530
Cons
non paid lunches
IT Support
Senior PC Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2016
• Supported Microsoft Windows on both the server and workstation platforms. Duties included Troubleshooting end user problems, server problems and setting up and demoting Windows domains.
• Supported Citrix server and managed user profiles and applications
• Active Directory implantation and administration
• Exchange administration and support
• Blackberry Enterprise configuration and administration
• Virtualized servers using VMware and provided VMware training to helpdesk
• Maintained and supported network backup solution using Barracuda, Yosemite and Backup Exec
• Close end-user interaction supporting any and all technical issues
Pros
massive company
Cons
dissolved our it at that location
This is a great company to work for despite the lack in job security.
Senior Training and Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJune 14, 2016
The leadership really look out for all the employees to the best of their ability. Great benefits and the family to work ratio is great for those with families. The only downside to working with this company is the lack of job security due to the contract based employees.
Pros
Great benefits, Excellent leadership
Cons
Lack of job security
Horrible Management, Unstable guarantee of employment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chaparral, NMMay 18, 2016
In the 2 years I was there I witnessed 2 lay offs. Also management was horrible. Too much favoritism. The position was easy to learn. Unfortunately this is an environment that regardless of you doing your job and more, if you aren't one of the boss' buddies, progress is not an option. Easy work environment and the ability to work independently as well as a team.
Pros
Calm working environment. Easy to learn job.
Cons
High price healthcare, bad management.
Electronic Technician II (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 23, 2016
II enjoyed the learning and classes they provided for new equipment that we worked on. It helped to further my electronic career. I worked on Night vision googles as well as thermal vision as well as complex circuitry within Tanks and Bradley's as well as other military vehicles. I worked with SINGAR radios and daggers for global positioning.
Pros
Great learning experince
Cons
Raytheon is a business that is striving to reconnect with 2016. This makes the atmosphere seem very antiquated.
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIApril 11, 2016
I was on a 6 mos contract with this company. However, in that time frame 9 individuals from upper management left due to differences with organizational changes. The processes are antiquated and it is more than likely you will hear a fax machine in the distance. An ISD will not have the ability to meet a SME before beginning a project. Most individuals in management have never completed an ISD course themselves, so the deadlines are unrealistic. The two positive segments of this contract were the work/life balance and enjoyable SME's.
Pros
Work/Life balance, SME's
Cons
Antiquated processes
Challenging Work
Senior Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 28, 2016
Raytheon has very challenging and fulfilling work if you manage to be placed into the right team.

Some of the challenges is retaining great talent because benefits have been reduced such as elimination of profit sharing and reduced annual raises.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Challenging Assignments
Cons
Reduction of Benefits, Raises and Promotions of Junior Engineers
Professional and rewarding
Field Leader II Engineer, A03 (Current Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIApril 14, 2016
setting up and establishing communications for the US army. This job is for training our men and women so they are prepared in the event they have to go to war. It is extremely rewarding to know I may save lives due to the training that they have received using our system. I have enjoyed being an RF team manager here but like I have said I am at my 20 year mark and it is time to do something new.
Spent my entire carrer there
Retired as a Section Head (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 20, 2016
Hughes Aircraft was purchased by Raytheon all together I spent 32 years with the company. Did many different engineering tasks. Lot's of opportunity to try different technical paths. Had a great carrier there for 32 years.
Pros
Opportunity to do many different engineering tasks. Good salary and benefits.
Cons
Worked many weekends and holidays.
Life at Raytheon
Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXApril 4, 2016
Raytheon is going through a major transition regarding personnel. The experienced and the new hired personnel. The Corporate level believes personnel are plug and play, contrary to that belief experience is a premium for ALL Companies. If not properly passed down to the younger population profitable success will be difficult.
Benefits
Cons
Personnel must use their personal time for training and meetings
You take the good with the bad.
Engineering Lead, Deputy Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 24, 2016
You take the good with the bad. My part of Raytheon was a labor organization that thought they were a manufacturing organization so process got in the way. If you are senior leadership, the benefits and pay are competitive but the hours are awful. If you are a junior engineer, the technology, mission and process are very useful learning experience but the pay isn't good.
Smart People, Probably Most Technically Literate Company in Defense.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMay 9, 2016
Work environment is casual. Come in when you want: just make sure you finish your work.

I learned a ton. They really trust you to be able to do the work. And there's good and bad to that: you have an amazing opportunity to grow, impress and learn but you may stumble and fail.

Management is variable but overall, I haven't heard anyone complain immensely. No micromanagement or abusive behavior.

Co-workers are engineers in the most traditional sense. You're amongst your own kind.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with the unsexiness of the defense industry. Another other complaints comes with any software job: boring bug tracking tasks, etc.

Most enjoyable is the flexibility and the freedom to prove your knowledge/intellect.

Pay is average.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, great benefits.
Cons
Unsexy, will not make you rich.
Job Culture and ability to learn/advance were prevalant at the site
Operations and Manufacturing Co-Op Program (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJune 28, 2016
The Co-Op experience was fantastic for learning the different sides of the business at Raytheon. I only had 2 years of experience at this company, but the overall culture/job was interesting and challenging.
Benefits
Changing Work Climate
Information Systems Security Manager (ISSM) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 7, 2016
Have worked at Raytheon since the site privatized back in 1997. Raytheon is not a bad place to work overall - in the past 3+ years, since internal security realignment & business unit merger the change in the work climate is of the nature that has me seeking other opportunities.
Pros
Fair job security
Cons
redundant managment layers
Great opportunities for international travel
Principle Multi-Discipline Engineer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 4, 2016
Diverse international programs allow for enhanced opportunity for travel to multiple locations. Travel well coordinated and supported.
Pros
Great support facilities in all physical locations
Cons
Excess dependency on processes can slow decision making