Raytheon Employee Reviews

Found 1,203 reviews matching the search
Complex but sluggish engineering environment
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 18, 2016
IIS develops very complex systems. There is a tremendous amount of domain knowledge within the company. The main fault with the company is that these large unwieldy programs are being strangulated with an ill fitting agile/scrum management implementation (not to be confused with an actual engineering methodology).
Pros
Great people and co-workers
Cons
There is no work-life balance, The agile/scrum management implementation fosters a culture of failure, and artificial emergency.
DOD Company
Technician Support Specialist N85 (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TX 75403September 15, 2016
Learning is encouraged at Raytheon especially in the electrical testing field, management practices and administration, new and innovative electronics, computer sciences, and highly specialized NAVAL equipment.

Hardest part of the job is the schedule of the Government, and potentially the hours required to work.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the care and support that management and upper management play int he advancement of their employees.
Pros
Employment Advancement, Company Benefits
Cons
Work Schedule
Good job if you like to travel.
Technical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKDecember 7, 2016
I work for Raytheon as an instructor and writer for courses taught on the repair of the Patriot Missile System. The job is not very hard, but can be stressful at times. You have to be willing to speak in front of a large group. And you must be willing to travel. I am gone more than I am at home. Raytheon as a company has excellent benefits, and great pay. They are also very accepting of people from different cultures, backgrounds, and lifestyles. Before homosexual marriage was legal in the US, Raytheon accepted partners that lived together to apply for benefits allowed married couples. Overall it is a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits and pay and travel opportunities.
Cons
Stressful at times, not home a lot.
Raytheon Review
System's Engineer Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 19, 2016
Raytheon is a great place to work. Many opportunities for advancement in a fast paced and demanding work environment. If you're a hard worker and have a great attitude sky's the limit with this company!
Pros
Competitive pay, good benefits
Cons
Depending or organization, corporate culture can be rugged
good place to work with good people
Operations Technician & In-Process/Final Inspector (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, RIOctober 26, 2016
good place to work but hard to develop and move up due to the union. non stressful environment with good management. benefits and vacation/ sick time were a plus.
Pros
wages were competitive
Cons
benefits could have been better
Compensation and Benefits is the best thing about employment here.
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAOctober 31, 2016
Routine/repetition in daily tasks most of the time. Was given the opportunity to be cross trained in a publications department. My former immediate manager valued employee opinions whereas current management doesn't appear to care. Mixed, some were back stabbers to benefit themselves. The hardest part of the job was trying to work past the negatives.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits and employee discount program
Cons
Managements viewpoint of
Great place to work!
Senior Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJuly 30, 2016
All I can say in the five years I worked there I learned a lot about the defense industry. Worked with a great group guys who always put their best foot forward and always showed support in a team goaled enviroment. The management for the most part was supportive but a bit demanding at times with unrealistic deadlines. Raytheon allows the employee to be able to showcase their skills and feel good about themselves. There's little micro management thus allowing the employees to work freely with little supervision. Work-life balance is good but could use some tweaking. Raytheon hires mostly retired vets who are very talented and know what the customer expects as they were once the customer at one time. Unfortunately, many contracts were dropped due to the change in our Government back in 2008 inadvertently causing massive layoffs. Hopefully if things change positively with our Government, Raytheon will prosper again.
Pros
Highly professional employees who really have pride in their work.
Cons
Long hours.
Can't get out of its own way, but not bad
ASIC/FPGA DESIGN SME AND DESIGN VERIFICATION SME (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 26, 2016
Lots of opportunity here to improve the machine that tends to get in its own way more times than not. Great for new grads to get their experience level up by being mentored by seasoned engineers. Great for professionals if you can deal with the inefficiencies the commercial world does not suffer. Great work/life balance as we work 9/80 work week
Pros
The world is a messy place, some people just need killing, and we are here to provide weapons to our troops so they can stay safe... lots of work to be done.
Cons
Advancement past E-6 to E-44 and up (Fellow) is virtually impossible
Job Culture and ability to learn/advance were prevalant at the site
Operations and Manufacturing Co-Op Program (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJune 28, 2016
The Co-Op experience was fantastic for learning the different sides of the business at Raytheon. I only had 2 years of experience at this company, but the overall culture/job was interesting and challenging.
Benefits
Military Aerospace Engineering
Multi-Disciplined Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJune 15, 2016
Raytheon has been a good place to work. During times of growth with work to keep the staff feeling secure it can be an enjoyable place to work. When there are reductions in head count and closing of facilities the workplace can be depressing.
There is a flex work schedule for many employees that allows the employees a daily schedule that can be better tailored to their lives. Most employees follow a 9/80 work schedule with alternating Fridays off. Benefits including health care, dental, vision, 401K, and IRA are industry standard and are adjusted every year to be in line with competing employers.
Pros
Large employer with opportunities for career advancement
Cons
Defense contractor producing weapons of war
Do Not Work Here
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAJune 25, 2016
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems is the worst place I have worked. Diversity is a joke. A strong good-ol-boy network, nepotism and gender discrimination create a distorted and closed environment. Management uses fear, intimidation and bullying to control and manipulate employees. When business is down, employees are wrongfully terminated or harassed into quitting instead of laid off. The official culture is supposed to value respect, but this could not be farther from the truth. Respect is used as a tool against employees. HR and management will fabricate and distort facts claiming an employee behaved disrespectfully which will then be used as grounds for termination. Appeals to the top level of HR are useless. Salaries are frozen among the different functions by management decisions made behind the scenes. Hiring managers lie to get people to accept offers. New hires are sabotaged by their peers. Do not work here.
Pros
Nothing overcomes the cons.
Cons
See the review.
Great Experience
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 27, 2016
I worked at Raytheon for over 4 years and had a great experience. The company provided many learning and growth opportunities. I was promoted twice during my tenure with the company, and my responsibility increased significantly. I felt like my management supported me and provided me with the career mentorship that I was seeking. I felt empowered and respected during my time there.
Average Company With High Self-Esteem
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 19, 2016
It was obvious early on that Raytheon wants to be one of its larger competitors. I worked at the other company and they aren't succeeding at being as good or better. For starters, the technology some people need to do their job is so outdated. Even basics like Outlook aren't rolled out. Prepare to step back on time unless you are willing to find and pay for training on your own. Lots of conflicting messages about flexibility and balance.

Starting from Corporate and into the businesses, there are cultural problems. It is very hierarchical and leaders are worshipped. Leaders foster a culture of mediocrity. If you have suggestions, you may be told that you're negative or a complainer. True commitment to diversity and inclusion is lacking. So much of a person's experience at Raytheon depends on the management chain.
Pros
9/80 work schedule, nice facilities, some co-workers
Cons
Health/PTO benefits, outdated technology, unprogressive culture
On average its a decent place to work
Supplier Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 7, 2016
Depending on your functonal area, there's reasonable work/life balance. They do have challenges in regards to career progression. The company comes across like an old boys club where knowing someone is sometimes more important that the quality of work you do.
Pros
9/80 Schedule. Good pay. Multiple locations.
Cons
Career progression is more about who you know
Smart People, Probably Most Technically Literate Company in Defense.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMay 9, 2016
Work environment is casual. Come in when you want: just make sure you finish your work.

I learned a ton. They really trust you to be able to do the work. And there's good and bad to that: you have an amazing opportunity to grow, impress and learn but you may stumble and fail.

Management is variable but overall, I haven't heard anyone complain immensely. No micromanagement or abusive behavior.

Co-workers are engineers in the most traditional sense. You're amongst your own kind.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with the unsexiness of the defense industry. Another other complaints comes with any software job: boring bug tracking tasks, etc.

Most enjoyable is the flexibility and the freedom to prove your knowledge/intellect.

Pay is average.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, great benefits.
Cons
Unsexy, will not make you rich.
Awesome company
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 21, 2016
Family situation changed and I had to leave the job. Otherwise, Raytheon was an excellent company. The 9/80 schedule makes for an awesome work life balance. Management was great and encouraged training and growth.
Pros
Great company, work life balance
Cons
Dealing with the DOD
Excellent company
Senior ELT Aviation Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaOctober 25, 2016
Excellent orientation program as well as staff management. Vision goals and projects.
Senior English Language Training (ELT) Aviation and Development Specialist
The contract assignment was to function as an English Language Senior Training Aviation and Development Specialist. Basic instruction for ANSF personnel, and to mentor the local national English language instructors. However, the Afghanistan contract was cancelled in the month of December 2013, due to U.S. budget cuts and U.S. military withdraw. My contractual research and developmental studies for Raytheon continued U.S. state side with the development of instructional ELT Aviation English curriculum lessons for AMT professionals.
Pros
Cons
Short term contracts
Interesting workplace
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 4, 2016
A typical day at work is maintenance on the Patriot Radar, admin. duties and radar operation. I have learned much about IF and RF systems in my time with Raytheon. Management treats us well, however, I feel they are growing apart from the needs of individuals. The hardest part of my job would have to be traveling for 3-6 week periods and being away from family. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing the work I am doing is making our systems better for our war fighters.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
Long drive, non-competitive pay for work
Excellent place to work
Export Licensing and Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXNovember 14, 2016
Career opportunity is abundant. Excellent work life balance. Ideal scenario for professionals. Highly skilled employees. Commitment to individual success is apparent. The people are truly committed.
A great place to work with great benefits.
Production Control Planning Specialist (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 25, 2016
Flex time to allow work life balance made it easier to maintain perfect attendance. Attention to respecting others while getting the job done was a strong emphasis in the working environment. I learned the importance of integrity and the impact it has on self and others.
Pros
Flex Time and benefits
Cons
Hard to transition from non-exempt into exempt position, but not impossible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Raytheon. Our community is ready to answer.