RBC Employee Reviews

Productive day at Royal Bank
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. KittsDecember 8, 2013
A typical day at Royal Bank of Canada begins at 7:45 am when I report to work in preparation for greeting customers at 8:00 am. While working at the bank, I learned the importance of team work/effort so as to get the job done. I also learned how imperative it is to have 'The customer is always right ' attitude, so as to invoke empathy when dealing with customer transaction discrepancy/ customer inquiries.

Management were very supportive, giving us the necessary training that would help us serve our customers better, each time. My co-workers were inviting, always willing to lend a hand where necessary. There were times when personalities clashed but we all learned to 'agree to disagree' in the best interest of providing excellent customer care.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with different personalities and trying to find a middle ground so that the environment felt conducive and fun/pleasant to work in. The most enjoyable part of the job was being rewarded weekly/quarterly for going over and beyond the call of duty in customer service and sales.
Pros
Personable Co-workers
Cons
Salary
should work here
team lead (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 18, 2015
nice place to work with all door open oppurtunities.You can learn every new thing that market offeres and in parrele you grow and your company benefits
Wonderful Learning Opportunity
Loan Officer/Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 29, 2013
Financial understanding is the key to a responsible, sound life. My time in the banking industry taught me very important life lessons in financial management, professionalism, and the general nuiances of the corporate world as a whole. My typical work day changed as my role changed throughout the my career in the industry. From relationship management to portfolio management, the world of meeting goals and surpassing them was a constant. Setting benchmarks, devising a plan, and strategically executing to achieve became essential practice. Management ranged from micro-management to being trusted to carry out the task with little to no contact, more than once quarterly. Coworkers ranged from the ultra-competitive types, to the team oriented "we all win as one unit" types. The hardest part of it all was the ongoing nature of getting yourself motivated quarter after quarter to reach the goals. No matter how great you were on the 31st, today is a new month and you are back at zero. But, also with that came the most enjoyable part of the job. In reaching these goals and benchmarks, you get to help the customers achieve lifetime benchmarks. There is nothing more fulfilling than helping someone buy their first home, save for that wedding, help with college, or approve that loan that made something essential more affordable.
Great company to work for
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FlDecember 5, 2014
Managed a group of 13 branches across the Orlando Florida market area. Tasked with making sure that the management team adhered to an aggressive business to business sales culture while delivering an exceptional client experience. Monthly reviews of the individual P & L's of my branch network to ensure expense control and target to plan. HIring, coaching and development of branch managers to include field and branch inspections on a weekly basis.
Employees were just as important as customers.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Nags Head, NCMay 8, 2015
Benefits and treatment of employees were excellent. We were treated like real people. We were rewarded and recognized for hard work by praise from the very top. I enjoyed every minute of working at RBC Bank.
Pros
Benefits, teammates, working conditions
Cons
Lots of hard work but rewarded for that work
Market Executive / Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCAugust 31, 2012
Great company with lots to offer. Great benefits and if willing to relocate plenty of possible career advancement opportunities.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management structure
I really enjoyed working for RBC as a temp
Operations Research Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCFebruary 22, 2016
Working at RBC was absolutely wonderful in the beginning. Unfortunately, the bank was going under and I was on lay off status. I learned a lot about verification, wage garnishment credit scores, and electronic transactions
Pros
It was a great place to work
Cons
I had an inexperienced manager who was not very honest.
Fun place to work with good adhoc assignments
Middle Office Team Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2014
Day goes fast trying to help cover 15 traders and senior management. Traders are always in need of data and analytics so the information has to be accurate and on time. As with the senior management, I get to work on a lot of projects and adhoc assignments. These are fun but time consuming as we can't use previous templates for a new adhoc assignment.
Pros
Free lunch on Friday, casual Friday, happy hours
Cons
long hours from time to time
Good corporation
Relatioship Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 9, 2015
Assisting private banking managers.
Improved knowledge banking issues
Management: really personal. Good relationship
Co-workers: friendly and helpful
Enjoyed contact with international clients
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
n/a
Very chalenging and engaging experience, learn something new everyday.
Complex CSR (Former Employee) –  Wellington Rd, Basseterre, St. Kitts, W.I.August 19, 2015
Working at Royal Bank was a great learning and growing up experience. I was able to meet with many different people and was able to learn from my customers as well as co-workers.
For me there was no such thing as a typical day because each day provided new and challenging experiences. In my time with the bank I performed task well above my level, advancing my skills making me a very essential asset to the company while i was there. I don't have much to say about management, other than the fact that management changed like 4 times while i worked there and that I preferred the previous to the latter. My co-workers were like and still is like family. We developed deep bonds which made us function as a well oiled machine, even in times where we were under pressure due to shortage of staff that never slowed us down. The hardest part of my job was being under apprenticed and under paid at times. many times I would work several hours overtime and not see any reward for it. for me the most enjoyable part of my time there was the time i spent with my co-workers.
Pros
Good environment
Highly professional, bright people
AVP, Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJJanuary 9, 2013
Great self reliant co-workers and managers. If you work hard and smart, you will do well. Management is always willing to help. The operations staff is stellar.
Pros
no micromanagement
Cons
no base salary
Decent place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Talladega, ALJune 4, 2014
I didn't have the chance to advance as much as I would have liked to which is why I found another job. I did enjoy the benefits and being able to balance my work/life schedule.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Little chance of advancement
Great People Great Company
AD (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2015
RBC is a great company they pay well and people are really smart and nice. It feels like every one has the same goal, provide great service for our costumer and enhance share holder value by working as one cohesive unite.
The only con is work life balance is not the best (working long hours and weekends sometimes)
Pros
People, Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Work Life Balance
Overall a fun place to work and build a career
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2013
RBC is a highly rated and a very stable company, with a strong balance sheet and a strong work culture. The Risk Management is very strong and is based on the OSFI/ BIS guidelines. Great place to learn. if you are a Canadian, possibly a life term employment !
Pros
Great Culture, stability of earnings
Cons
High volatility in Trading roles.
Start up Canadian Bank striving to be big.
Office Management (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 20, 2015
Adequate company to work for. Was a wonderful place and environment prior to being sold in 2012.

I have learned a great deal from the executives that I support and work with.
Pros
stable work
Cons
Too many extra activities apart for job
RBC is a good place to work, one has the opportunity to grow. Global communication is great.
Project Administrative support officer (Former Employee) –  Emma-Sxm-June 18, 2015
A typical day at work is routine:

- Check your email, calendar or pending file folder for any assignment or request that has priority. Your also learned management, employees and customers are different but you should always give them respect.

The hardest part of the job is when you have urgent deadlines, yet is the most enjoyable reward when its achieved. Also client experience is a joy.
Pros
Management provide lunch during peak periods
Cons
Short or no breaks during peak periods
Decent company with fairly good benefits
Supervisor - Technology & Operations (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2015
RBC is a decent copany with generally good benefits. However leaves little room for advancement of T&O business lines unless they are willing to move to Toronto.
Fast Paced but Collaborative Culture
Senior Developer Compliance IT (Current Employee) –  New York, NY and Jersey City, NJApril 26, 2015
The generally polite and courteous Canadian trait carries over to the work culture where every individual is given respect and in turn expect to abide by the company's core values.
Pros
Industry standard benefits
Operations
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2016
Amazing team to work with but difficult to work outside of Head office. Due to the disparity in currency the company's focus is to move jobs back to Toronto to cut expenses.
Unable to foster and develop young talent. Corporate culture is negative and management is poor.
Global Fixed Income Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trading floorJanuary 10, 2013
*8-6PM trading floor job. High pace and intense.
*Global work environment
*Hit a wall where they were unable to help me further develop skills
*Team did not act as a strong unit
Pros
introduced to floor at young age
Cons
poor corporate culture and management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RBC. Our community is ready to answer.