RC Willey Employee Reviews

decent work little to no room to move up in company. managment did poorly
Narrow Stock Aisle Picker (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTAugust 19, 2016
Not a company i would refer others to. Occurance system needs to be reviewed P.E.P system is garbage. Lied about starting pay suposed to be 12.70+ but was 11.00 and hour to start. Overall not a trustworthy company to work with
Fun and fast paced
Prep Associate (Current Employee) –  Boise IDAugust 13, 2015
Needs to be much more communication and consideration for associates who have outside circumstances that are affected by the unstable time frame for shift endings. And what seems like the lack of compassion or the will to help the associate. Job is well versed and for the most part organized and stable. management are fun people.
Pros
Good benefits, good people, keeps you busy
Cons
Very little communication, seems unwilling to compromise at times
Nice coworkers and not a stressful schedule.
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2015
I liked my schedule at RC Willey. I learned how the warehouse was organized which made my job easier to complete all my tasks.
I had a good relationship with all the people I worked with.
The hardest part of my job was worrying about job security, but I really liked my work schedule and the people I worked with.
When I got to work I was given a schedule of tasks that were
priority, then I could do my daily schedule. I liked the way the
warehouse was organized,
Pros
Very little stress
Cons
Very few raises
Exciting fast paced challenging work
F/T Furniture Prep/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 17, 2016
Awesome co workers
Friendly work environment
Rewarding work
Learned a lot about building furniture
Good Management
Overall wonderful place to work, could not have asked for a better experience and built lasting friendships while employed there!
Great job for entry level sales associates
Sales (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 7, 2014
This was a good company to work for. Being closed on Sundays was a huge plus. Allows quality family time. Management typically there to help you with questions and/or training. The problem with this company, as with most commissioned companies, was that they seem to have gone downhill about caring about the employees way of life. Every year there is a focus to hire more and more sales people. Even when most businesses are downsizing or maintaining staff, they seem to think that doubling the staff is the way to go. Considering each new employee takes money out of your pocket. Salary was drastically reduced each year. And with the increase of employees comes the battle on the sales floor. no longer a fun place to work. Everyone has to be out for themselves to try to make money. This is a great job for people just starting a sales career, but not those looking to advance or continue a sales career
Pros
schedule, discounts
Cons
salary, atmosphere, lower end products
Great Company that values family
Furniture Sales (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 25, 2013
For retail, on the sales level, this is a great job. Sundays off, and they are fairly flexible with your schedule. It is 100% commission so you are really in control of your pay. If you work hard, you get compensated better. The insurance isn't the greatest, but the company does contribute to a health savings account for you and/or family and they do a company match for your 401k. Management is pretty laid back and great to work with, however, advancement is tough.
Pros
free lunches on holidays, great atmosphere
Cons
premiums for insurance
Fun Place with excellent training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTJuly 31, 2014
excellent job. Management works well with the employees on keeping them updated on product knowledge to inform customers an train customers on new products an upcoming sales. Excellent benefits. Co workers work with each other as a team to make sure our customers are taken care with satisfaction.Customers are our no.1 goal. If we didnt make sure we have good customer relations we would not have return customers,
Rcwilley definitely takes good care of the customer an employees
Pros
during training from the venders they bring free food
production and fun workplace.
warehouse stocker (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 14, 2012
stretch and find lift , prepare your lift make sure its good to go for the day start picking and pulling untill we are done recieving. I learned alot from rc willey it was my first real job i had it made me a team player.management was really on top of things. co-workers was good we all work as a team.the hardest part was on a busy day or holiday is trying to keep up with the work with your lift breaking down making you slow. the enjoyable part of the job is competing agaist friends and employess at work.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
benefits was really good.
No other job quite like it.
Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTFebruary 12, 2015
Over all i really like it here just wish i had more to show for it. easily though reccomend to anyone who wants to or is thinking of working for the company
Pros
Cons
not eligable for payraises
office staff (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMarch 3, 2016
Starting in the housekeeping, then transition to the office staff, where I was able to learn the skills it took to answer large quantity of phone calls, greeted people to the store, and to cashier for large amounts of money each day.
Pros
love the people
Lacking in Overall Employee Appreciation
Delivery Driver/Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  South Salt Lake, UTFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day consists of unloading a trailer, arriving items, stocking items, helping customers, loading merchandise to take over to clearance, unloading merchandise, updating, and taking merchandise to the sales floor after pricing items. Also pulling customer's willcalls from aisles, sales floor, or clearance sales floor, and helping customers with whatever they may need.
I learned how to efficiently and effectively work in a warehouse setting, how to use our Linux operating system used in our daily operations, how to use our scan guns for our items, and how to run the entire clearance dept. entirely by myself, and many other skills from this job. Management is adequate, gets the job done but nothing to special to mention, a feeling of great dissatisfaction while working there.
I'd say the hardest part about working there is lifting all the heavy items which really isn't that difficult. And the most enjoyable part I would say is being able to have earphones in and listening to music to pass the time easier.
Pros
Decent discounts on certain things, and gut wrenching hot dogs.
Cons
Almost non existent employee appreciation, mind numbing monotony, complete lack of hiring competent employees, no regard to personal employee safety from management, zero respect to the grueling work, extreme danger, and lack of any respect from customers or employees towards the hard working delivery drivers, management is only out to benefit for themselves while everyone below them is stepped on.
Not the greatest place for Installation Technicians
Installation Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 4, 2016
Not too much to say here. Their entire mobile installation division nationwide is no longer in operation. There was definitely a great amount of potential, they just weren't able to pull it off.
Great Management
Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 2, 2015
Lacked in some management areas. Delivery Drivers were whiners but were great men and fun to hang around. Overall great experience.
a typical day at work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 5, 2015
I diagnosed problems, and malfunctions with the computers, then fixed or repaired the problem by hand. was in contact with customer service to check the warranty of the product.
Great for a 100% Commission Based Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OgdenSeptember 3, 2015
Earnings potential is unlimited. Very busy September-January. Very slow in the summer time. Budget accordingly. Management is very supportive and want to see you succeed.
Pros
Great Earning Potential
Cons
At the Mercy of Customer Traffic
This company used to take care of their sales employees. Commission and bonuses decrease annually.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orem UtahFebruary 21, 2013
RC Willey used to be more for the employees than it is now. They would close at 7pm on Saturdays it's 9pm now. They would close on the 4th of July AND Pioneer day (July 24th). Now they are open for both those holidays. There were Product Dealer spiffs and other perks from furniture and appliance and electronic companies for the sales people, but those were taken away. It used to be a fun place to work, now there is way more stress and most sales people are disgruntled.

To meet your sales standards, you may have to work more than 5 days a week(company pressure). That causes contention on the sales floor (entitlement issues). Promotion is near ZERO. Extra spiffs were taken away so that RC Willey could keep more money for better deals from the manufacturers.Corporate managers try very hard to impress the billionaire that owns RC Willey, by trimming and trimming money from employees etc. Health insurance is ONLY Catastrophic. It takes 3k-6k/year out of your pocket before the insurance covers medical. There is plenty nepotism in RC Willey also. It's mostly in the corp offices. But, some store level managers are managers because of family connections. Open for ALL holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas.
There are too many meetings. Most meetings are useless and unproductive, some help. Had a 15-45 min meeting EVERY DAY before going out on the sales floor to sell . Not paid a penny for product trainings. Some trainings can take 1-5 hours of your time. They are mandatory. Extended warranty sales is VERY IMPORTANT to RC Willey, its pure profit mostly. The reason is because they
  more... don't use it to repair product as much as one would think. So,it is used to pay your commissions.The percentage that is required to be sold, equals about the same amount of commission you average with your sales. So, they want to use that pure profit to pay you and keep all the profit from the product sales.Warranty standards are HIGHLY enforced.They do repair and replace for some issues of course. GOOD LUCK if you work there. It is difficult to get established when you start.The "old Timers" will do their best to make you miserable so you don't want to be there. Turnover is worse than ever before. Every time a new associate would start there, they would be gone to a different job within 6 months to a year. Stores Managers don't have a clue quite often.
Sales managers should be good sales people firstly, but most aren't. So, they become managers. So , there is a conflict there.
Pros
you work five days a week(usually), have 2 days off one weekday sundays closed, paid vacation. 401k, health insurance, they pay income twice a month on time always, employee purchase discounts available after a year, you are trained on product plenty, can make good money some months.
Cons
see review
It's sales you and 40 plus others try to make a living
Sales (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 9, 2013
Some stores are worse then others. As far as pay goes you earn every penny here and if your willing to work hard and extra hours you can do ok. Put in min effort and I promise min check
Pros
some stores good people
Cons
100% commision
co-workers managment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTOctober 7, 2015
All around great people to work with, great management.A relaxing stress free work enviroment, a great place for a carreer.
worked hard, told jokes, and listened to music
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 5, 2015
typically id get to work at 8:00 A.M. and immediately get on a lift and begin to pull items weighing as much as 400 pounds. After, depending on the type of day I would be in the back of a semi truck down stacking heavy product and scanning them into our system. If not, I would be at the front of the store loading purchased items out to customers and solving any issues they have with the store, damaged goods, or any miscommunications. I've learned qualities at RC Willey, such as, managerial decision making, operations of heavy machinery, and basic knowledge on how a warehouse is run.
Pros
great staff and good enviroment
Cons
scanning guns were over used and slow
Financially supported by the best in the world
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Murray, UtahMarch 11, 2012
RC Willey is a very strong, stable company supported by Warren Buffet as part of the Berkshire Hathaway family. It has a very long and storied history with a conservative management style
Pros
great support by management, lots of extra benefit such a employee discounts, on site doctor, and annual profit sharing
Cons
100 percent commissioned sales, extremely limited advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RC Willey. Our community is ready to answer.