RCN Employee Reviews in United States

Just another Number to them
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMay 6, 2016
I have worked for RCN for 3 years and they were always changing there rules and regulations on monitoring. If you needed a day off you could not call in and take a day because there was never quota in the system and i have 2 kids plus other things that just happen in life. They hire a new class of about 20-25 people per month , so just there shows you the turn over rate. it provided me income for my family and that was great. But to work there and of you ask anyone who currently does they will say the same thing. Also if you try and go to the bathroom witch is human nature you will get called out on it and that is something you can not control.
Not for me.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMarch 5, 2016
A typical day involves resolving issues that our own employees cause, as well as handling complaints that our customers justifiably have for our ever-increasing rates. Management is scarcely available when you need it and our client investors are only vaguely aware of the workplace conditions and make unreasonable demands of the agents. I was initially excited about the prospect of working for a low-rate cable company call center but it turned out that they're not so cheap and their policies are not so customer-friendly. While I'm rated as a top-performer, it's only because I'm good at picking up other peoples' slack in order to keep these customers for the company. However, it's emotionally draining, and I don't feel morally right for taking advantage of people like this anymore.
Pros
Friendly management, friendly albeit exhausted co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, scarce management, representative incompetence
It is a good stepping stone
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 5, 2016
It is a good place to start your career. The CEO is a great leader. The Marketing Department is an awesome team to work for.
productive
Broadband Technician (Former Employee) –  bathlehem pa 18017January 31, 2016
typical day was troubleshooting installing and repair.
identifying the problems was hard pert of the job, but solving the problem was the best part of the job. knowing that the job was done right and customer was happy was very satisfying
Pros
problem solving
Good Pay, but very Stressful
Customer Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 27, 2016
When I started, it was a fun job. As the years went by, it was bought out by an investment company, and now, not so much. The coworkers are good people, management seems to be fair in accordance to what procedures they have to follow. It's unfortunate you have to compete w/all your coworkers to get a shift you would like to work, and that can get stressful. Shift bids are required every 6 months. That is when it went down hill for me. Holidays are a must, unless you put in for them off way in advance.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
health benefits more money, shift bids.
great
Dispatcher Agent /Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2015
rcn I learn a lot of the telecom world..and how many people take to for the public watch a clear cable channel..rcn is great
Pros
great
Dysfunctional Workplace
Customer Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDNovember 1, 2015
Very dysfunctional and inefficient workplace. The management team struggles with work delegation, budgeting and efficiency.
Company system integration and relocation
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 18, 2015
Mature company. New system integration with new staff due to relocation from Virginia to New Jersey. Exciting project. Harnessing good previous procedures accompanied with updated and improved new solutions.
Pros
Commensurate compensation
Cons
Consulting job took place in Virginia
my first job
Sr.Accountant-Payroll (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2015
to be honest, small environment and lot of material I learn in there. my boss and co worker are great people, work with them long time period.
ok place but not stable
Train and assist staff (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAAugust 4, 2015
Always thought I would have a job because we would always need cable and or phone

They just started going from "office" to office and laying people off each Friday,.,,,one from each group. Usually it was the longer employees that made more money,

Want to know more about RCN?

Ask a question
Non-Stop Calls
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 31, 2015
It can be very overwhelming because at times there maybe non stop calls coming in! If you are crossed trained in a department you will be stuck with every que.
Pros
People
Cons
Work life balance
Understaffed but good benefits
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 15, 2015
Every 6 months there is a "shift bid" to change your shift for the next 6 months. Every bid, management says they will evenly balance morning, day, and evening shifts so there is no overload and understaffing issues. However, this never happens. There is always an overstaff in the mornings and afternoons and a severe understaff in the evenings. Its very stressful, the training isnt the best but the benefits are very good and the people you work with are amazing. You do become like a small family.
Pros
Awesome benefits, decent pay, amazing coworkers
Cons
Staffing issues, management problems
Rcn
Free Lance Broadcaster (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 2, 2015
I am currently a Free Lance Color Analyst for RCN, Inc. A wonderful work atmosphere. A place to bring your personality and skills to the forefront. I have been a color analyst for going on 7 years, and have had the time of my life.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Not enough hours
Work, life imbalance
Direct Sales (Former Employee) –  Lehigh Valley, PAMay 20, 2015
Worked as a direct sales rep. Basically, I knocked on doors from noon to 8p selling cable (thats considered leaving early). If I didn't sell I was put on a watch list that could progressively lead to termination. If you're not willing to bend your ethics and BS some for $35 (cable commission) you won't make it. The training sux,in a conference room for 2 days,had a partner for an afternoon and another partner who sent me home because he didn't wanna share his commission. Overall decent place to work,if you like micromanagement.
Repair Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2015
Inbound call center that required educating customer on products and services doing customer education on connecting equipment and using service.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
was brought out by 21st century
Company cares for employees
Customer Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Lehigh Valley, PAApril 7, 2015
RCN Cares about there employees, and goes above most companies to provide great services. The only thing they under staff on weekends.
E-Chat Customer Serivce
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 17, 2015
Assisted cusotmers via chat to sign up for new products, trouble shoot phone, cable and internet issues. Resolve billing concerns. Set up payment arrangements.
accountant
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2014
nothing typical in RCN
lot of accounting items learns,payroll, a/p,a/r,HR,buget,audit
co worker are very good
so good nothing hardest part for me
nice envirement for work place
Coworkers are amazing/Job sucks/Management Lacking
Telesales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 22, 2014
First if you can't handle selling walk away now. Even if you are in a non sales position you are still expected to sell/upsell. If you get upset by people yelling at you this will not be a good fit. If you can't type relatively fast not a good place to work. If you hate talking on the phone not a good job for you. If what I just said does not bother you, you may work out at this place. They had the best training program I have ever gone through it lasts 6-8 weeks and teaches you how to use their entire system. Upper management is ok, the president and corporate level people are all rather nice but their lower management/lead group sucks. They are only in it for their own good and most are quite power hungry. HR is a joke and can't tell their a**es from their elbows. Your team will become some of your closest friends in and out of work. The job is horrible, you will get told that you are the devil, that you should die, that your family should all die of cancer. You will be cursed at, hung up on and worse so your coworkers are really the only things that keep you sane. It is a really relaxed dress code and they have awesome benefits, PTO, Health, Dental, Eye, 401K, Life insurance AD&D insurance. Discounts with a lot of the companies around, and the pay is not bad at all. With commission I averaged $19-$21 an hour. They have "spirit week" and dinners, HBO and SHOWTIME come in and hold events you can get a lot of free stuff and even win trips So that part is fun and pretty much the only reason people keep working here long term.

Overall Decent place to work but Management is annoying
  more... and the job sucks.  less
Pros
giveaways, benefits, coworkers
Cons
management, hr, the job itself
very poor work environment
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MAOctober 10, 2014
management was the worst I have seen in my 35 years of working. There was nothing but favoritism,back stabbing and a romperroom atmosphere. Salesmen were under no structure at all, no territory was established, no rules were established,salesmen were far from friendly to each other.
Pros
job + benefits
Cons
see review