RCN Employee Reviews in United States

ok place but not stable
Train and assist staff (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAAugust 4, 2015
Always thought I would have a job because we would always need cable and or phone

They just started going from "office" to office and laying people off each Friday,.,,,one from each group. Usually it was the longer employees that made more money,
Stable Job with some fun activities to look forward to.
Customer Maintenance Service III (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 16, 2012
My typical day at work entails answering other carriers' phone calls requesting information. I also spending my days processing work orders to disconnect customer's phone lines so they can port their phone numbers from RCN to another carrier such as Verizon, Comcast, Service Electric etc. Although it can be frustrating at times having to struggle doing two or three different things at one time, it is nice knowing that it helps make the day go by fast.
Pros
sometimes they have fun days like football jersey day or wear your favorite hat day etc
Cons
no chances of advancements for employees with disabilities
Good place to work.
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  PAMarch 11, 2012
Went through some rough years, but good place to work. Benefits were acceptable as well as compensation. Culture and values were good.
Coworkers are amazing/Job sucks/Management Lacking
Telesales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 22, 2014
First if you can't handle selling walk away now. Even if you are in a non sales position you are still expected to sell/upsell. If you get upset by people yelling at you this will not be a good fit. If you can't type relatively fast not a good place to work. If you hate talking on the phone not a good job for you. If what I just said does not bother you, you may work out at this place. They had the best training program I have ever gone through it lasts 6-8 weeks and teaches you how to use their entire system. Upper management is ok, the president and corporate level people are all rather nice but their lower management/lead group sucks. They are only in it for their own good and most are quite power hungry. HR is a joke and can't tell their a**es from their elbows. Your team will become some of your closest friends in and out of work. The job is horrible, you will get told that you are the devil, that you should die, that your family should all die of cancer. You will be cursed at, hung up on and worse so your coworkers are really the only things that keep you sane. It is a really relaxed dress code and they have awesome benefits, PTO, Health, Dental, Eye, 401K, Life insurance AD&D insurance. Discounts with a lot of the companies around, and the pay is not bad at all. With commission I averaged $19-$21 an hour. They have "spirit week" and dinners, HBO and SHOWTIME come in and hold events you can get a lot of free stuff and even win trips So that part is fun and pretty much the only reason people keep working here long term.

Overall Decent place to work but Management is annoying
  more... and the job sucks.  less
Pros
giveaways, benefits, coworkers
Cons
management, hr, the job itself
Rcn
Free Lance Broadcaster (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 2, 2015
I am currently a Free Lance Color Analyst for RCN, Inc. A wonderful work atmosphere. A place to bring your personality and skills to the forefront. I have been a color analyst for going on 7 years, and have had the time of my life.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Not enough hours
Collection/Retention Agent (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre PaJuly 29, 2013
My typical work day was ,taking calls for people to reconnect due to non payment of account , I learned to listen to calls and let people vent but to do my job and get them to understand I wasn't there to not help but to help them . Management was excellent always willing to help or listen , hardest part of my job my the long training time , I enjoyed working with RCN .
Pros
the money was good
Cons
they closed our call center
Direct sales
Direct sales (Former Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 19, 2014
Company management sucks. There a bunch of idiots who couldn't cut it at the big cable companies so they went to Rcn to spread there bad ideas and poor structure. I mean seriously who has a marketing director running direct sales ?
Cons
everything
Great way to exercise
Direct SALES Rep (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2014
I loved meeting knew people and going to different places as a direct sales rep. The hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Pros
good friendships
Cons
bab hours
Some great customers
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2014
Typical day at RCN was to Open the store greet the customers, apply their payments, handle inquiries, take complaints, open new accounts, sale programming, batch at the end of your shift. The hardest part of the job was dealing with abusive, and aggressive customers that would threaten to harm you because the company didn't do what they were supposed to, and no one coming to your aide, but making it your fault. Their were safety concerns of opening and closing the store by yourself due to the excessive homeless people in the area. The most enjoyable part was some of the customers. They were wonderful, and always showed their appreciation for us.
Great call center/good pay
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 5, 2012
RCN provides good pay for hard work. I took a personal leave of absence from RCN and after returning to work, they fired me because I didnt have a doctors note. A doctors note isnt required for a personal leave of absence.
Very good place to work at that time everyone worked together
Construction Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2012
RCN was a Cable/ Telephone/ Internet company that became successful rather quickly...it had a nice run but in my opinion mismanagement lead to the quick downfall.
very nice place to work
Systems Designer/CADD Operator (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAJuly 12, 2012
Work was very busy and management was great as they influence job growth. Also you were able to learn about the telecom industry as you were provide to attend classes.
Poor Customer Service and Products
Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2014
Poor Management, Poor Quality Products, Poor Customer and unable to keep up with competition with poor quality and pricing
Pros
nice employees
Cons
lack of direction by management
Busy
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Chicago. ILAugust 12, 2013
-assist technicians manage routes
-how to work with different personalities
-helpful management
-friendly and helpful
-the happiness of customers once service installed
Company cares for employees
Customer Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Lehigh Valley, PAApril 7, 2015
RCN Cares about there employees, and goes above most companies to provide great services. The only thing they under staff on weekends.
productive
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lehigh Valley, PAMarch 3, 2014
great environment, nice fellow employees and understanding management.
2000-03 not great years
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2012
2000-03 not great years. Hopefully things have improved. Long hours, tough goals, diminishing capital budget.
ok to work before sold out
Sales (Former Employee) –  NyApril 30, 2013
it was fine before sold out good company not to work for management need more human relations
Pros
take5th
Cons
take5th
E-Chat Customer Serivce
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 17, 2015
Assisted cusotmers via chat to sign up for new products, trouble shoot phone, cable and internet issues. Resolve billing concerns. Set up payment arrangements.
Challenging and Rewarding
Direct Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2013
RCN is a great place to work for those that are interested in growing professionally. The company fosters and environment where your ideas and input are valued and you truly can make a difference in the company's growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RCN. Our community is ready to answer.