RDO Equipment Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 4, 2017
Every morning i wake up i am excited to go to work. The people are great and respectful. I have learned a lot since i have started with RDO and that is good because education in the diesel field is very important to me
Extremely Great Place to Work
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 3, 2017
I have been employed by RDO for a little more than 4 months. Everyday I wake up looking forward to come to "work". The people are great, management is fantastic, opportunities are endless! I have had the privilege to meet the ownership and investor teams, and they are a solid group of people.
The ownership team came to the new Chandler location for the open house, then came back from the FSO for an investment team tour involving the technology products RDO offers to customers.
Our customers are terrific, and are typically open to repairs and parts pricing.
I have worked for competitor dealerships in the past, and RDO stands alone in employee engagement, opportunities, and core values. RDO seeks to maintain employee satisfaction through various means. The organization makes sure employee voices are heard through one on one meetings, where anything you are having issues with are addressed before becoming problems (like shop tooling, supplies, desired training, etc). These open conversations are a great way to interact with upper management as well as get to know your supervisor and/or share more about yourself. I really like that you as the employee have the spotlight for the duration of the meeting.
RDO Equipment spends a great deal of money and time making sure the technicians are trained and CAPSTONED in various product offerings.
I have read all 29 of the other reviews and see right through the negative ones, clearly there is a lack of attention to what the job is. The market dictates whether there is work and a bonus. When the market is down, machines
  more... are not rented or sold creating a "slowing trend", and busy work to maintain that paycheck needs to be creative. When the market is booming, its non-stop until the customer is making money. That is the nature of construction equipment.
If you have work ethic and are not afraid to earn your pay, then this is the perfect company. You do not need to look further than RDO Equipment.. the nations largest JD Dealership.
Pros
Great people, tons of training, ice cream Friday, bonus potential
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CADecember 12, 2016
This company gave me the opportunity to work under an apprenticeship as a service technician/heavy equipment mechanic right after I completed my vocational degree in Diesel Technology from Universal Technical Institute.

I was nervous at first, jumping into somewhat of a new career. Especially with my growing family, it's very frightening to make such a huge change. RDO made it easier in the sense that they were understanding and provided me with hours that worked with my schedule which allowed my wife to also be able to go to school as well.

I would say it's a very family oriented company. Their events are great and they do take care of their employees. The turnover rate is great. Most people who work here stay here for a while which says a lot about the company. The benefits are good as well. We get plenty of great training which definitely will help expand your skillset and professional profile.

The work is hard, don't expect to leave work clean, but I actually enjoy what I do and the team members are helpful and very knowledgeable so it doesn't always feel like I'm working. I especially like that we do get pretty involved with customers which I believe is crucial to getting the service done right the first time. Understanding their needs and being able to communicate with them helps gear the service towards satisfying their requirements and reduces the amount of times they need to bring in their equipment. Their time is just as valuable as ours. Our work orders can pile up, and trust me when I say it can get pretty hectic if and when that happens.

By far, I
  more... would rate this as the best company to work for. If I had to leave, it would only only be due to the need of being able to provide more for my family or for growth opportunities. Otherwise, if that doesn't become an issue, I do see myself retiring here. Our Fontana plant is moving to Riverside, so I'm not quite sure how growth will be affected. It is hard to gauge at this time. I am quite confident, however, that work will continue to be steady.

If you're are looking to work as a entry level technician, at least invest in basic tools and accrue more little by little. You will need it. I can see this as a great company, to start off and/or if you're looking for a stable and permanent position. Good luck in your interview and job search.
Pros
Great events, good managers, steady work
Cons
The company direction is steady but would like to see more growth opportunities
Productive, Fun-Enviorment and always growing
Riverside - Yard Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 15, 2016
I have worked at RDO for over six months and I have to say it's a great company to work for. They are flexible with your schedule to any extent and they are always willing to supply you with the resources you need for your job. They are willing to hear your concerns and always push for a team effort. They also like to keep an easy going environment by provided ice cream on Fridays and lunches occasionally throughout the week. The only bad part is that most positions require you to be outside for long periods of time and sometimes weather can make your job harder. Other than that I would recommend this company to anyone who is applying.
Pros
Free lunch and food weekly
Cons
Outdoor work environment
my time at RDO
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 29, 2016
i started as a track mechanic and through hard work i was able to get promoted to the shop foreman. i learned alot about the machines and was able to do my job well.
It was fun
Intern Technician (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 25, 2016
I was an intern when I got the job it was one of the best jobs I had the reason I quit was because at the time I was a kid and if someone told me something I would get mad, so one day some guy told me something and I just quit
Rdo truly is a great place to work
CSA (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 6, 2016
As with any job there are ups and downs, and I really enjoyed my time there.
The only reason I am not still there is because there is no beach near the dealership. Except California but I don't like their gun laws.
Alot of people work hard however there is alot that doesn't
Accountant/Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDMay 9, 2016
We work with a lot of JD equipment and we have to make sure we follow the policies and procedures JD requires us to maintain to be a JD dealership.
Fun Place to Work
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 27, 2016
Working at RDO Equipment was definitely fast paced and fast moving environment for an equipment dealer.In addition, the culture is very diverse and the customers were great.
Pros
Great Benefits, Pay, and Company mission
Cons
Management, Compensation
Worst place I ever worked
Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 14, 2016
As stated in other reviews this place definitely has management issues. RDO attempts to work by several company mottos, for example "we do what we say.” Management would tell employees things that would never happen and constantly lie. They will fire people for the slightest reasons, leaving the rest of the employees to pick up the slack with no appreciation or even a thank you. It has been said before they are like a revolving door, always re-hiring and if you notice there are always job postings for the Salinas location. Shouldn’t this be a red flag? Customers like consistency in a company, especially at a company where they spend millions. Seeing familiar faces and building relationships with these customers is important for business. But how are you supposed to do that when employees are recycled on a monthly basis? The store I worked for in Salinas, CA would always volunteer us to work at other RDO locations when they were in need of help. But when we needed help management would never acknowledge it, leaving the work load on us, forcing us to stay longer and work Saturdays and Sundays. The reason why they like to volunteer us to work at other locations is because it saves them money on payroll. The pay has to come out from the location where you are working. Plus that is why management never had anyone come in to work in our location because they never wanted to have to pay extra employees. From my experience working at RDO, I felt like I had to walk on egg shells on a daily basis, I would not recommend working for this company
Pros
insurance
Agree with the rest
Intern (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNApril 12, 2016
As stated by others, RDO is a back stabbing company. Absolutely on the buddy system. Fired a machinist of 17 years just because they didn't like him. Told us throughout our whole internship they would hire us on. 3 weeks from graduation and we got the axe. I was told "we aren't hiring ANY interns", but yet run ads for interns and service techs. They also claim "we loved having you here" . Yea right. There is a lot of turnover. It's all smoke and mirrors. Unless you have a good set of knee pads, you're out of a job. The best part is they think they are smarter than you, when really it's so easy to see through the BS. I would stay away!
Pros
Once a month free lunch
Cons
See review. Terrible management with high turnover and scare tactics.
A good place to start your career
Slave (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMarch 22, 2016
The co-workers are great, the management is out of touch with reality. They continue to add middle management and then when the ag or construction economy slows - they cut everyone. Mostly by firing them for a stupid reason hoping to get out of paying unemployment or to announce publicly that they are doing layoffs. Only a select few or "chosen ones" will ever be able to move up within the company and if you are family or a good buddy then your job will be protected even if you are terrible at your job.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Human resource team - most in there 20's and act as if they own the place, throwing anyone and everyone under the bus for petty reasons.
Fantastic place to work
Parts Dept Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 26, 2016
Challenging and rewarding work. Great management team and surrounded by good people to work with. Days are long. The hardest part of the job is multi tasking to keep the dept running. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customer.
Change in Management created unhappy atmosphere
Part-time Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 22, 2016
Enjoyed my job and the people around me. Was a position wherein I could be creative and develop new methods that increased the productivity of the department. Then recently there was a management change and there are many unhappy people because of all the changes that are occurring.
Pros
Could work the hours and days that fit my schedule
Cons
Management change that didn't understand our business
RDO is a Great Company
SERVICE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 22, 2016
RDO Minot is a great place to work, yes there are up and downs but on the whole you cannot beat the culture.The Benefits are straight forward, if they say you have earned a bonus, you receive the bonus.
Awful place to work very poor management
Warranty specialist (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNDecember 21, 2015
Management does not care about you or your family and they will lie to you until you need time off or until they get into a bind a force you to work 60 plus hours a week.. direct quote from HR dept. After having a 8 to 5 job for over 2 years and then rhe company made mistakes forcing everyone to drop everything and give you no notice " RDO is not responsible for daycare issues so if you can't figure it out than this is not rhe place for you". I would never work for them again and never realized how blessed I am to be out of there. Don't ever being up any issues about their managers because they won't listen and they turn everything back to their employees. Rdo was once a food company but they havewt to many of the long time managers get away with everything and they are running rdo's name to the ground, customersare very unhappy with the service as well.
Pros
Benefits are ok but not great
Cons
Horrible management, liars
Strong willingness to teach, easy going people, fun atmosphere.
Equipment Detailer, technician, and parts counter. (Former Employee) –  Casselton, NDSeptember 7, 2015
My RDO experience was a good one. Yes, sometimes the jobs I had to do as an equipment detailer were less than enjoyable, but the people I worked with were always easy going and easy to work with. The shop was equipped with everything I needed to do my job (besides hand tools). Overall working for RDO was a great experience.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay raises, and great managment.
Cons
Advancement
Great Company
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNAugust 23, 2015
Working at RDO is a great place. My experience was at the field support office, and I feel that it was a great environment and the management was wonderful! A typical day included taking care of customer accounts, helping fellow employees out in the field, running machine efficiency reports, and ordering inventory for the entire company.
Pros
Great support from management
worse place I have ever worked
manager (Former Employee) –  AzJuly 19, 2015
Preach about core values but they only apply when convenient. Management from region up is a buddy network. Does not matter what you have gained and/or accomplishing, if you are not a suck up buddy you are gone. Lies, backstabbing and unkept promises are all you can expect. SW region is the absolute pit to be involved with. Record all conversations for yourself because they will record for their own benefit.
Pros
pay
Cons
Management is awful to nonexistent
RDO = Revolving Door Outfit
Sales (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 17, 2015
Large well financed company that pays well but can't attract or retain good people because of the turnover. 5+ GMs over 6 years! People only care about punching in and punching out. People who care about taking care of customers are weeded out. Customers have zero confidence they will be supported. Central clique really runs the place. Inmates run the asylum. Don't know how to support customers, just get them in and upsell them. Upper management only shows up to fire people. Smile at your face and knife you in the back.
Pros
Benefits, comp.
Cons
See Summary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RDO Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9