ReachLocal Employee Reviews

Wonderful Company - Unfortunately Under New Channel Management
PARTNER OPERATIONS MANANGER (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 17, 2017
After 9+ years at ReachLocal, I cannot fully express my appreciation and love for the company and it's people. Unfortunately, the channel I work in is now under new leadership and is no longer conducive to a healthy work environment.
Pros
People, Salary, Benefits, Reach
Cons
Unfortunate Management Changes
Love this Job
Technical Writer (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJune 29, 2017
Great company culture, beautiful open office space, great managers, fun work, great business, enjoyable work location, nice people. I would still be there if I was not a contractor.
Pros
Open office, interesting work, great product line
Cons
Great people, stressful work environment.
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJune 22, 2017
Decent place to work. All new technology and tools. However the working environment is noisy and stressful. There is no ability to focus without wearing headphones.
People were great, though. Very friendly and helpful, with some exceptions.
Lack of Revenue Rich Business Model
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 20, 2017
ReachLocal and it's products offer a "nice to have" set of solutions, not a "need to have." The ideal client is a healthy business. They were healthy before RL came along and will be after they part ways making this a challenging sale for some. The products are not revenue rich so the company struggles to balance high overhead with a quality customer experience.
Pros and Cons
Sales (Current Employee) –  PlanoMay 20, 2017
For sales, there are several unrealistic goals. Depending on the department you're in, you have no chance at success. Only if you came in 6 plus years ago, the chances to succeed are slim. Nothing but numbers without real value.

Servicing clients is low priority due to operational holes. Pros, if you've not joined sales and worked there long enough, you can overcome everything the huge pitfalls anyone will face just starting off.
Good Company
Digital Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 27, 2017
The company is great and was changing their business model and how they compensate their sales reps. While I was there a lot changed and all the sales reps left to other companies once commissions were drastically reduced. The product churns a great deal and it is very hard to keep customers on board long term.
Used to be a great place
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAApril 11, 2017
Over time as well as the nature of the fragmented industry Reachlocal became harder to work with because the margins became less and less. Several layoffs and management shakeups led to disfunction in numerous areas.

They have since been bought by another company and I hear good things from those who are still there.
Great Place to Work!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 31, 2017
ReachLocal is a great place to work. I've enjoyed my time here and have grown a lot in my career. I get to work with a lot of different people who really care about their jobs and what they do. We have a lot of fun office activities so you get to know your coworkers and really enjoy coming to work.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Open floor plan
Great people but lacking in middle mananment
Digital Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 13, 2017
I loved working for ReachLocal,,, They do a great job of getting people to work there however they struggle with preparing managers for leadership Lacking leadership and training for leaders is greatly likely. They are a 13+-year-old tech company that's still relying on the technology developed 10+ years ago. It is slow and antiquated and held up primarily by people who manage it. It glitchy and takes upwards of 12 months to really understand how it works. It's basic functions work but any update change is so difficult to do. Any role in that organization is made 2 or 3 times more difficult because of the aging platform. But any big organization has issues and their people save them time and time again.,
Pros
the people, the pay
Cons
management knowing what happens on front lines
productive and sometime stressful
Digital Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 15, 2017
Great company, management is very supportive and wants you to succeed. At time can be stressful as the company is ever changing. It has the potential to be a great company.
Official response from ReachLocal
March 31, 2017

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your honest feedback and will make sure to pass it along to the appropriate teams. We wish you the best in your future endeavors!

Was leader in their field until they went public and board of directors had no vision.
IMC (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 31, 2016
Company had the best digital marketing platform in the business but did not maintain any upgrades over time with the board of directors. Face to face clients resulted in Optimum product leadership until they went to call center only. Company was recently bought out by Gannett.
Productive and fun place with a ping-pong table
Internet Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 30, 2016
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table. Cutting edge technology and highly trained and committed support staff. Huge value to business owners with Best-In-Class products.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
No cons
Do yourself a favor and DON'T!
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 12, 2016
Unless you are truly desperate. Enjoy chaotic environments. Like to see your coworkers go in to a room and never come back like a holocaust "gas chamber" just look a little more. Base pay is decent but the sales cycle can take forrrevvvverrrrr...
Pros
Healthcare was great, free lunches, eventually your managers will release you out of your cage to get some sunlight and a potty break.
Cons
High turnover. Publicly humiliate people. No work life balance. Constant mass layoffs
Clueless
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 2, 2016
Company full of silos, mixed directions, stepping all over each other, too many tools and they're all broken, good thing they got sold.
Fun exciting place to work
Associate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2016
REACHLOCAL was a great place to go every day. I really enjoyed my time there. I learned a lot which lead me to bigger, better things.
ReachLocal
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2016
ReachLocal is a great company to work for if your just starting in the marketing industry. They offer many digital services for the local business.
Too much downsizing has led to incompetent staff
Maginalized Woman (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 19, 2016
ReachLocal has done more for the unemployment line since 2013 then it has for its remaining employees. The only reason they have ads out to hire is because the last of the qualified, knowledgable folks are leaving in droves. This company has been massivley downsizing for years and has let go or lost its best people and ReachLocal just casually sat by and let them walk. Now, they have a largely green staff training an even greener staff. The results of this experiment are disasterous to anyone who has the unfortunate role of being the Admin of a department, an executive or the organization. It is impossible to do your job, provide due deligence, or make a company/department appear functional in an environment where everyone around you is too busy trying doing the job of three people (while not even getting credit for doing the job of one) that they can barely muster a postive human emotion. I strongly suggest to anyone thinking of taking a non-revenue generating position at this company to think twice about just how badly they need a job as you will not be respected or, in many cases, appreciated. If your career goals include being marginalized (especially as a woman- they even started a women's advancement "club" within the organization to mitigate some of this treatment), being treated as disposable and watching other people's souls (and likely your own) wither and die then you may have found the company for you. If you enjoy being surrounded by ego, narcissism and, likely, a few psychopaths (ReachLocal's hiring model seems to really fancy the behavior of psychopaths) you may  more... have found the organization for you to call home for a few years before they go completely belly up.  less
Pros
Gym, lots of distractions
Cons
misogyny, bumbling management, narcissists
Fun Environment Great CoWorkers
Senior SEM Analyst (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 9, 2015
A typical day for me is working out of SalesForce. I managed a few clients who run a bunch of PPC campaigns. When they want to make a change or want me to investigate something they submit a ticket through SalesForce. My job is to help keep the clients happy, reach their goals, and retain clients.

The hardest part about my job is keeping up with technology. Online marketing is continuously changing and it's important to keep up with all the new trends.

The most enjoyable part about my job is working with my coworkers and clients. I love building work relations, it makes my job so much easier when you know what to aspect from someone and trust them.
Great Company with Amazing Culture
Internet Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 22, 2015
ReachLocal had a great culture with an amazing national sales team. They knew how to set up the top performers for success and keep them well compensated while employed there.

The management truly cared about each individuals success and did not hold back on helping them achieve it.
Pros
Great atmosphere, amazing pay
Product Workplace with Great Co-Workers
Software Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 22, 2015
ReachLocal has several in-house platforms that are very intricate making the learning experience a challenge. My co-workers and manager were friendly, helpful, and wonderful people. I assisted with a global migration to a new support team in India by writing knowledge based articles.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
few opportunities for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ReachLocal. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7