Reader's Digest

Reader's Digest Employer Reviews

Great business!
IT Manager and finally (Former Employee), Pleasantville, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Completely changed now, and only the subscription business remains, but working at the HQ in Pleasantville, NY was a great experience.
Limited opportunites
Marketing Manager, Marketing Services (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 29, 2014
Industry is shrinking and there are limited opportunities for growth and advancement
Great people, broken foundation
Marketing Manager (Former Employee), White Plains, NYSeptember 22, 2014
The benefits and culture that originally attracted most employees to Reader's Digest are no longer present. The company has changed drastically in the recent past, and there have been many rounds of layoffs and major changes. Though the people working in this company are mostly intelligent, hard-working individuals, the company itself has lost its way.
Was rated one of the 25 best companies to work for in the U.S.
Senior Music (and Entertainment) Editor (Former Employee), New York, NY. and Chappaqua, N.Y.September 6, 2014
Over the 20 years I was there, Reader's Digest was a fine company to work for with a mostly excellent staff. The company's founding concept -- that busy people don't have time to consume all media and instead would prefer a "digest" of the best material culled from all other sources -- is even more viable today than it was when the magazine started in 1922. The problem RD developed is actually common in many large organizations which grow too big and complacent to evolve and adapt to changes comfy executives would prefer to ignore.. RD top management clung to the security of operating systems which had worked in the past but had grown increasingly outdated. Despite my warnings, RD's top brass was reluctant to adapt to technological changes or even acknowledge the obvious evolution of the marketplace. Eventually those flaws proved fatal. After I left, the division I had built up to the point where it was contributing 60% of RD's total annual corporate income -- collapsed. What had been one of the 25 best companies in the U.S. to work for then dramatically downsized and was sold.
Again meeting key decision makers in a fund raising / Awareness setting
Marketing Director (Former Employee), Tampa Bay, FLAugust 14, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: lots of hard days, nights weekends, and time away from family
Putting proper personnell in place in order to present ALL products at my corporate events.
International Inventory Mangement & Customer Service
Canadian Warehousing Inventory Management (Former Employee), Fairfield, IAJuly 15, 2014
Pros: supportive management, happy co-workers
Cons: low wages, declining company revenue
I provided warehouse inventory management for the country of Canada.
I successfully coordinated and dispatched intercontinental inventory shipments, covering six (6) times zones.
I learned how important attention to detail and follow thru are to successful shipping and receiving.
My co-workers were located in Canada and I was in the USA, thereby strong communication skills via telephone, email and internet were essential to my success and maintaining a happy, cohesive, efficient international team.
The hardest part of the job was complete verification of damage claims.
The most enjoyable part of the job was establishing and maintaining customer relationships, identifying surplus inventory overhead and implementing successful warehouse inventory sales to recoup financial loss.
productive and surrowunded by wonderful people
Internship (Former Employee), White Plains, NYMay 20, 2014
I would organize art. the workers their would tell me not to work to fast and hard, to take breaks.
My Day
Advertising Billing Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
Pros: office is in mid-town
Cons: company has filed 2 bankruptcies in 4 years
I work with alot of great people & handle a great deal of work.
currently working on 15 titles & do all the order entry, send out the invoices w/tearsheets or a copy of the magazine. Also keep great records because we are audited internally & externally (SOX compliant)

Publishing is unfortunately on the down swing so these are some difficult times.
set up corporate events
Corporate Events Planner (Former Employee), Westchester, New YorkSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: finding new and unique ways to keep the events fun and interesting
Cons: travelling each day, sometimes and hour or two
THis was a really fun job! I went around to Fortune 500 companies and set up lobby sales events. As a recurring theme to all of my jobs, my most favorite part was chatting it up with my customers and making this a fun event for them. I was also responsible for doing all the pre-advertising for these events that would drive sales to the fullest.
Small but productive Music Department
Senior Music Editor & Producer (Former Employee), White Plains, NYDecember 13, 2012
I had the opportunity to create career-spanning CD box sets for over 18 years.
Great Experience
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJune 7, 2012
My experience with the Reader's Digest Association has been priceless. The Human Resource team has done an exceptional job in enhancing my education towards the Human Resource discipline. The Human Resource team conveys an overzealous and welcoming attitude which provides a comfortable work environment and an atmosphere where internal growth and development can occur. As an intern, I felt as if I was immediately apart of the organization where I could openly contribute my thoughts and further develop my knowledge of the profession.
Great company
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee), Pleasantville, NYFebruary 14, 2012
Pros: everything
Working as an Editorial Assistant at Reader's Digest was more fun than any position that I had before or since. The editorial staff was amazing. Very creative people always made the day go faster. Benefits were the best I ever had. Great vacation policy, excellent health benefits.

About Reader's Digest

The Reader's Digest Association (RDA) publishes the undersized general-interest magazine Reader's Digest, which boasts 50 editions – Read more