Reading Health System

Reading Health System Employee Reviews

I have worked for the Reading Heath System for about 7 years, however I am at a point in my life where I need to explore more opportunities!
Nutritional Worker / Grill cook (Current Employee), West Reading, PAJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Currently off weekends and holidays, always learning and interacting with new faces. Pto, paid time off
Cons: I am over qualified, and under paid, lack of communication between management and staff and at times treated unfair
In any given day at the Reading health System is always a different experience, it maybe positive or negative. Everyday Im learning something new weather it may be a new recipe, establishing new relationships with different customers or patience.The hardest part of my job is trying to work with staff shortage however the job gets accomplished, also the lack of communication that may occur within upper management, retail site managers, supervisors and staff.The most enjoyable part of my job is that i am cross train and I am able to fit in where i am needed!
Overall there was much improvement to be made with the employees.
phlebotomist/courier (Former Employee), Reading, PAJune 23, 2015
Pros: They supplied their own vehicles for transportation
Cons: You had to eat your lunch as you were driving
Management to say the least was not the greatest. To much favoritism. They didn't have compassion for employees in car accident.
Patient Access Position
Patient Access/Intake Specialist-Radiology (Current Employee), Reading, PAJune 22, 2015
Busy, friendly, atmosphere. Love working with my coworkers and patients. I also love helping as much as I can and getting as much work done as I possibly can during my shift. On a typical day I clock in come to my desk and get all the paperwork ready for the day. I check orders and make confirmation calls and then register the patients as they come in. Hardest part of the job is an upset patient because you want to do all you can for them to resolve the problem.
Excellent
Senior Project Manger, (Former Employee), Reading, PAJune 2, 2015
The Senior Project Manager leads, directs and manages the plant property, infrastructure, biomedical, and PDC services for administrative, clinical, ambulatory, operational, ancillary, and business systems across Reading Health System.
R3E
Patient care assistant/ Unit Clerk (Former Employee), Reading, paJune 1, 2015
Pros: free stuff, busy, easy to learn
Cons: rude patients, rude co-workers, high stress
A typical day at work consisted of taking care of the patients and charting. I learned a lot about the medical community. Management was extremely poor on the particular unit I was on, which affected the people I worked with. There was an overwhelming negativity amongst everyone on the unit. The hardest part was working with the negativity and management not really doing anything to change it. I love working with the patient and seeing them get better.
10-Bed Sleep Lab with Long Term EEG set up and monitoring.
Reading, Pa. Polysomnographic Technologist (Former Employee), Reading, PennsylvaniaMay 27, 2015
Pros: Beautiful Lab and good working conditions. Continuing Education available.
Cons: More work added on and less time to do it in. Presenting challenges.
A typical day at work would be: Arrive at the lab to bring up our computers and troubleshoot any difficulties prior to patient arrival. If not already done for us, we would assign patients scheduled to techs. Then review our patients charts and get paperwork in order. Set up our rooms with proper equipment needed for the study ordered and prepare to make the patient comfortable. We would familiarize the patient with he lab and begin set up. Fitting of masks etc. as necessary. We would help each other to complete all these tasks as we were able. It was team work.
Our manager was always available over the phone and would come in if necessary. We had plenty of inservices from companies concerning equipment. We also had monthly meeting where we were given the opportunity to present continuing education powerpoint presentations of our own.
The hardest part of the job came when our work hours were decreased and it became difficult for us to complete our jobs in the manner in which we had become accustomed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was obtaining a successful study helping someone breathe and improve their lives.
Diverse workplace with nice staff but no longer a secure work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee), West Reading, PAMay 24, 2015
Enjoyed the diverse departments and working with the various staff. The work was mostly interesting and stable until recently. A nice campus and area. In some departments, those who used to have consistent and reliable hours can no longer count on them. Positions, mostly held by those with seniority, are covertly eliminated. Many staff who can find employment options with other regional healthcare facilities do so and employee morale has been decreasing over the years. The work environment and culture has changed significantly driven both by changes in the healthcare industry and senior management who run the hospital as if it were a "for profit" system. Reading Health System is no longer an employer of choice though espoused by the organization. There is a reason that several other regional healthcare organizations rank much higher from an employee engagement and satisfaction perspective.
Great Hospital to work for
Hyperbaric Safety Director (Former Employee), Wyomissing,PAMay 22, 2015
Great hospital to work for. very knowledgeable professionals, great attitude and healthy working environment. very easy going people.
Geat place to work
Credentialed Trainer (Former Employee), Reading, PAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Opportunities
Challenging and room to advance. Internal posting methods used to utilize employees and allow for advancement in careers.
Busy yet productive and fun work environment
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee), Reading, PAMay 14, 2015
Pros: good benefits, paid time off, friendly staff
Cons: sometimes short breaks if excessively busy
I loved this job very much and enjoyed the people that I met as well as my coworkers while I was there. I enjoy helping people and I did that very much in this role. I helped patients with bathing, walking, daily rehab needs to get them progressing in the right direction. The hardest part about the job was seeing such sick patients every day. However, it was very rewarding to see them progressing!
Decent place to work
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee), West Reading, PAMay 10, 2015
Pros: Hard working co-workers
Cons: Management, not appreciative of those who work hard and too lenient on the lazy employees
Decent pay, nice people to work with, management has too much power over regulations that affect patient care and safety.
not very productive
Unit Clerk (Former Employee), west readingMay 1, 2015
Cons: not really interested in their employees
Was a great place to work in the beginning but when I had knee surgery, they eliminated my position and wanted me to stand for 8 hours on a new knee. Was not able to do that.
Decent
PCA (Current Employee), EmergencyApril 23, 2015
Pros: Great learning expierence
Cons: No ability to grow, Reading Hospital Nursing program should be extended to PCA's
A typical day at work is typically extremely busy.

I have learned so much from my coworkers. I quitely observe them and make mental annotations. I am grateful for all I have learned from them while on the job. I learn something new every time I go to work. The providers I work with are so good and really take the time to explain anything you need to know.

We are currently under new management.

Some of my coworkers are very genuine and provide quality patient care. But there are also too many jaded coworkers. Tired of the environment and miserable. Which reflects poorly on other employees. They tend to spread a negative vibe.

The hardest part of the job is taking care of mean patients. Also dealing with negative coworkers.

The most enjoyable part is Helping the patients that truly need Help and are thankful for it. The patients who understand that we are very busy and that we are not neglecting them.
Busy work environment
UNIT SECRETARY/PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Reading, PAApril 20, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, rewarding
Cons: Long busy shifts, short breaks
Working as a Patient Care Assistant, one must be able to jump around from task to task and not become frazzled. It is a high paced work environment where you get pulled in all directions. The work can be rewarding though when you know you are helping patients recover and feel better about their hospital stay.
Very Rewarding I loved my job, Management kept changing
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee), FloatApril 19, 2015
Pros: I enjoyed my job, I was here 19 years.
Cons: Management changed frequently
I would open satellite lab for patients and Register patients in Epic order lab test, perform veni-puncture, label blood, spin blood send to
hospital for testing. Collect random urine specimens for tests and 24 hour urines, glucolas. Address any problems that came up through out day. Order supplies for office and Lab. I worked by myself alot.
I enjoyed helping and the challenge of working there.
Management Heavy
Staff RN (Current Employee), Reading, PAApril 9, 2015
Cons: poor recognition
Having worked at Reading Hospital for 10 years I have found changes lately to be contrary to providing positive patient outcomes. Management has developed a top down philosophy while trying desperately to convince the staff that their input is important. Employees are treated as completely replaceable and not valued at all.
Productive work place with cultural festivtities.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Reading, PAApril 6, 2015
Pros: gift cards and fun lunches
I enjoy working at this place because of their diversity and busy environment. It can get hectice but everyone joins to help in it. Everyone is always walking by you saying hello with smile on their faces.
It was a great place to learn MVS and JES Commands. Very rewarding.
Senior Computer Operator (Former Employee), Sixth and Spruce Street, Reading, Pa. 19610April 5, 2015
Pros: good benefits.
Cons: working third shift you usually do not get to meet people on a personal level.
The Reading Health System was a great place to work. The management was very attentive to our needs. I started the Day End Job Stream on third shift. I was responsible for the IBM Mainframe System. In addition, I monitored the Pharmacy and Lab System.
I IPL'd or booted all of these systems.
The hardest part of my job was having to give it up. The best part was that I was constantly challenged and learned something every week.
reading
Transporter (Former Employee), Reading, PAMarch 22, 2015
reading hospital is a very good place to work for . the benefits are wonderful. you get paid good. and you have opportunity to move in the hospital
forward-thinking
Specialty OB/Gyn Coder (Current Employee), Reading, PAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: holiday and special occasion meals, excellent benefit package
The health system is constantly and consistently improving the healthcare experience for patients and employees. Communication is key to this. The coding and compliance employees work together to accomplish our work accurately.
Employees