Reading Health System

Reading Health System Employee Reviews

Good patient care provided by staff but unfavorable establishment for employment
Registered Vascular Specialist/Technologist (Current Employee) –  West Reading, PAJanuary 23, 2016
Focus is on productivity, numbers of studies done/day
Does not care about concerns of employees and a balance
of performance
Loved getting up for work.
Patient Care Assistant/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 7, 2016
Always seeing something new. Money could be better, but makes up for the experience, and the constant learning. Management is understanding and willing to work with you and teach.
80 percent regular, 20 percent tough work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 3, 2016
Walk around campus and monitor activities. Occasionally restrain patients that are a danger to themselves or others.
Horrible management
Staff Respiratory Therapist/Sleep Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PANovember 19, 2015
I had worked there for 20 years. Worked a lot of OT over the years. Once new management came in, then one by one, middle management was fired and new people brought in from everywhere across US . Raises stopped, flexing started and it was scary to be at work.

I was fired in a 2 month period by the new point system . Kept getting written up for subjective issues by my immediate supervisor, never allowed to speak to a doctor. I had gotten good evaluations for years.
It's like how did i work there for so long and then in 1 month cannot do my job. When they want you out, you are gone.
I even helped people get jobs in my depth and that is how they treat you.

I worked in respiratory therapy extra when I could and rest of time in sleep lab (every shift). I did whatever was needed to helped out and then to be tossed out like garbage was very hurtful.

Reading hospital was the Mecca when I started working there. I'm glad I am out of the madness.
Everyone is scared of losing their good paying jobs so no one speaks out.
Pros
Great for first 18 yrs
Cons
Horrible management, longer you work there, the more they try to get rid of you
productive volunteer work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  West Reading, PANovember 17, 2015
Volunteering at the hospital had allowed me to see first hand as well as participate in the fast efficient work pace along side doctors, specialist and many nurses.
A generally positive workplace that requires hard work and attention to detail
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 16, 2015
A typical day included cleaning hospital rooms and general areas of the hospital, including bathrooms, hallways, and nurses stations. I learned about successfully communicating with patients and nurses to ensure cleanliness.
Pros
Work moves at a decent pace
Cons
Exposure to patients' bodily fluids
uncomfortable
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 3, 2015
Not a place for outsiders to work. They have there own scrub school in house and if you don't do it their way it's going to be a hard, uncomfortable place to work.
caring department
Radiation Oncology Nurse (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 18, 2015
Department is dedicated and demonstrates support to the patient under going radiation therapy. Therapists focused on daily schedule to get the job done. Doctors patient focused and compassionate.
Work/life balance was challenging
Program Director (Former Employee) –  West Reading, PASeptember 28, 2015
Opened a 5400 sq foot state of the art Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center in 2007. Priority was high level of improved outcomes for patients as well as patient satisfaction.Duties were same as Healogics
Pros
worked with a highly skilled professional staff
Cons
change in leadership
Learning experience
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 15, 2015
A typical day included transporting patients to various sites within the hospital for various procedures. Also assisting the medical staff as needed.
Productive learning experiences
Environmental Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 15, 2015
Typical work day included preparing the operating rooms for upcoming surgeries. Cleaning and disinfecting rooms after surgery. I learned about different procedures and what the different codes meant.
A good experience as nutrition services
Took different form multiple staff members (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 5, 2015
we had to prep breakfast and lunch an dinner for patience we served about 500 to 600 patience a day three times a day. It had to be done in a timely matter you had to know how to get around the hospital. At lunch time we served doctors and patience in the lunch room for the doctors an the patience in the hospital. So it was more fast work at times but we always got it done. we also cleaned every tray, plate, an spoons, folks an bowls at all times food was served. You was trained to be sanitized at all times an were mask when entering a special room for very sick patience. My experience as a nutritionist.
Pros
free lunch and good benefits
Cons
no cons
what i learned
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 26, 2015
very busy environment, your day goes by fast. You learn something new everyday and it has a great team to work with. there was a lot of variety in what I did each day ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
Productive workplace with much to learn
Audiological Technician (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 4, 2015
A typical day at work included printing the daily schedule of patients, "report" with nursing staff to see which newborns needed testing and any relevant issues I would need to know beforehand, screening newborns' hearing, submitting results according to state regulations, scheduling outpatient appointments when necessary, inventory. I learned how to use audiology equipment and to work in a noisy and busy environment. Management did a fine job, I have no complaints. It was a fair place to work. My coworkers were fair. The hardest part of my job was telling parents their child didn't pass the test. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with babies and making my own schedule.
Pros
Working on own schedule, great environment, fair Management
Cons
Not enough hours
PRODUCTION ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 21, 2015
Very busy workdays
Some lack of communication
Very clean environment
Good benefits
Enjoyed working with users
Flexible working hours
Great co-workers
Company is well known for it's great reputation
I have worked for the Reading Heath System for about 7 years, however I am at a point in my life where I need to explore more opportunities!
Nutritional Worker / Grill cook (Current Employee) –  West Reading, PAJuly 13, 2015
In any given day at the Reading health System is always a different experience, it maybe positive or negative. Everyday Im learning something new weather it may be a new recipe, establishing new relationships with different customers or patience.The hardest part of my job is trying to work with staff shortage however the job gets accomplished, also the lack of communication that may occur within upper management, retail site managers, supervisors and staff.The most enjoyable part of my job is that i am cross train and I am able to fit in where i am needed!
Pros
Currently off weekends and holidays, always learning and interacting with new faces. Pto, paid time off
Cons
I am over qualified, and under paid, lack of communication between management and staff and at times treated unfair
Overall there was much improvement to be made with the employees.
phlebotomist/courier (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 23, 2015
Management to say the least was not the greatest. To much favoritism. They didn't have compassion for employees in car accident.
Pros
They supplied their own vehicles for transportation
Cons
You had to eat your lunch as you were driving
Patient Access Position
Patient Access/Intake Specialist-Radiology (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 22, 2015
Busy, friendly, atmosphere. Love working with my coworkers and patients. I also love helping as much as I can and getting as much work done as I possibly can during my shift. On a typical day I clock in come to my desk and get all the paperwork ready for the day. I check orders and make confirmation calls and then register the patients as they come in. Hardest part of the job is an upset patient because you want to do all you can for them to resolve the problem.
Excellent
Senior Project Manger, (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 2, 2015
The Senior Project Manager leads, directs and manages the plant property, infrastructure, biomedical, and PDC services for administrative, clinical, ambulatory, operational, ancillary, and business systems across Reading Health System.
R3E
Patient care assistant/ Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reading, paJune 1, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of taking care of the patients and charting. I learned a lot about the medical community. Management was extremely poor on the particular unit I was on, which affected the people I worked with. There was an overwhelming negativity amongst everyone on the unit. The hardest part was working with the negativity and management not really doing anything to change it. I love working with the patient and seeing them get better.
Pros
free stuff, busy, easy to learn
Cons
rude patients, rude co-workers, high stress