Reading Partners Employee Reviews

Exciting Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2017
I went to an elementary school for 30 minutes a week to help the students with reading and literacy activities. These lessons were developed to help the students keep up with their classmates.
I enjoyed working with young children and it was an honor to help them reach their reading grade level.
Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 8, 2017
I volunteered for this organization and it was one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had, working with young children and helped them read and achieve their highest reading grade level was extremely rewarding. I also enjoyed working along side the Coordinator, she was passionate about her work. Any job that has to do with advancing humanity brings joy to my life.
Pros
Short drive from home and flexible hours.
Cons
There wasn't any room to grow.
Fun work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company. I would most definitely recommend college students as well as recent college grads that are in dire need of a job to work here.
Experience at Reading Partners
Senior AmeriCorps Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
Generally, I had a good experience at Reading Partners. The culture was a positive one that encouraged teamwork, resourcefulness, ability to take on any challenges, and a sense of connection with all coworkers due to Reading Partners' strong values. There is little room for growth within the non-profit, which led me to leave after 2 years of working there. One also has to be willing to work for little pay, which says a lot about the strength and importance of the mission to bridge the literacy gap in the United States within low-income communities.
Voulenteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2017
I volunteered as part of my class. I thought that the children really needed the help but it was sort of hard to follow along to each child's plan if you never had a stable child you were working with.
Reading
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2017
Working one on one with students to help improve students reading levels. Introduce reading lessons to students and go over reading lessons. Reading one one one with student and listening to student read.
A place to learn
Tutor (Former Employee) –  SunnyvaleJuly 16, 2017
Reading partners has rich resources and creative lesson plans to encourage tutors to give a more creative and fun lecture to students. It serves as a good stepping stone for me to pursue my part time career as an English teacher.
Reading Practice
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2017
Read with an elementary school aged child who was behind on their grade level for reading to bolster their skills and help them sound words out that they didn't know.
Organization that developed important skills
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2017
At this organization, I volunteered to assist young kids with their comprehensive reading skills. This task I performed for roughly three months. During this period, I improved on my skills in critical thinking and communication. Additionally, I learnt strategies that I can use when dealing with kids.The staff at this organization, were very helpful, as they took the time to thoroughly explain the procedures. I most enjoyed helping kids in need.
This volunteer position was rewarding
Tutor Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 10, 2017
I was a volunteer reading tutor for a specific Reading Partner's elementary school student. I showed up one to two times a week to help the child increase his reading and comprehension skills. This child had a difficult time focusing at times but I encouraged him and got him through several reading assignments through the program which raised his level of reading competency.
Pros
It was rewarding to help a child be a better reader
Cons
No cons

Want to know more about Reading Partners?

Ask a question
It was rewarding
Reading Instructor (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJune 29, 2017
It was a very rewarding experience helping kids. Was assigned to a kid and was able to see her a couple of times. I think the program helps the kids, not all of them, but most.
A very productive and fun filled environment
READING TUTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2017
Reading Partners is a wonderful place to volunteer with it allows a person to give back to the community. volunteering is a labor of love and Tutoring with Reading Partners has been an enjoyable and exciting experience.
Stressful Work but You Make a Big Difference
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2017
As an Americorps member, you are going to work long hours but you'll are making a big difference. As a site coordinator, you are responsible for the day to day operations of a reading center - this involves scheduling volunteer tutors to work with students, coaching tutors on curriculum implementation, assessing students, communicating with teachers, tutoring students, etc.. The job is a combination of teaching, coaching, management, and admin. The people who would excel as site coordinators are resourceful, caring, organized, and detail oriented. There is a steep learning curve in this role but you will be well supported by your program manager. The benefits are also pretty good for an Americorps position and the living stipend is slim but still pretty decent for Americorps.
Pros
great program managers and peers, benefits, feeling of accomplishment/meaningful work, autonomy
Cons
work life balance, low pay
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 14, 2017
It was a great opportunity to learn so much and be able to be a mentor for young minds. It helped me understand and value more how important teachers have an immense influence in children.
it was a great experience valunteering for this institution
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 12, 2017
in this internship not only I had a great time teaching children i also had a great co-workers. In addition, I felt like I was helping children improve academically and in their life.
Literacy Intervention
Senior Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 5, 2017
Reading Partners is a great Organization. They help children that lack certain reading skills with one-on-one tutoring twice a week, during instructional time. This is an Americorps Position, which means on top of day-to-day task you also have a team of members you work with.
Great Mission, Poor Organization
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  DCMay 31, 2017
The mission of this company is great. Helping kids read and involving community volunteers is wonderful. It's tough to work with Americorps members who leave every year and train them well in only 11 months time. The national organization has some very serious organizational problems.
Productive and educational.
Reading tutor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 31, 2017
Tutoring second graders was definitely a rewarding challenge. Sometimes it was difficult to keep the kids on task, but when they did,It made me feel good as a human being knowing I was impacting the education of the kids.
Pros
Impacting a child's education and teaching them the importance of reading.
Super Great
Phonics and Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 24, 2017
Great place to tutor for. This staff is super friendly, warm, and helpful. The kids that you are tutoring are amazing, and very receptive to tutoring.
Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMay 21, 2017
The job of working with kids was interesting. You gain more experience working and being patient with children. As you tutor the student, you grow with them on their journey. You see the growth in their skills. Overall, the experience is pretty great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reading Partners. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2