Reading Partners

Reading Partners Employee Reviews

Precarious Fun Fast Growing Non-Priofit
Office Coordinator (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMay 9, 2015
Pros: Fun Youthful Culture
Cons: Fluctuating Managment
A typical day is spend answering general office and IT questions while managing office facilities and acting as a liaison with the property managers. Working to improve child literacy rates is the mission thus stimulating a culture that is fun, energetic, and youthful. Colleagues are smart, driven and compassionate. Challenges for a growing non-profit is developing business operations systems and training employees and guiding them through transition periods.
Helping out the youth
Volunteer (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAMay 7, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people.
Cons: None that I can think of.
It is really worth it to joined this program. The reason why is that you are able to help improve the skills that the students need later in life. I think it is pretty cool that you are able to help students and to be able to meet with the people who are involve in this program. It is really worth it, since you can help others and you can also learned something new about yourself, in a way both the volunteer and student get to learn something new about themselves.
AmerICorps job
Senior Site Coordinator (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Very intentionally making an impact, food stamps
Cons: Healthcare, short breaks, low pay
* Tutoring in one-on-one language literacy development tutoring, teacher/parent/school staff communication, assessing students, managing the center, managing and maintaining data documents (Salesforce, google docs, excel, word, etc.), managing 75 tutors, managing 67 students, working closely with a team of 5 other site coordinators, leading and creating service day events (such as for MLK Day of Service)
* My manager was lovely. She trusts her team and allows us to be organic in our roles. She is very intentional and caring with her feedback, which I really appreciate
* Coworkers are great; not a lot of ethnic diversity in the employees, but all wonderful, well educated people
* Hardest part of the job is balancing all tasks during peak parts of the year, for instance beginning of year, mid-year, and end of year assessments
* The most enjoyable part of my job is educating and teaching kids. Also, the wide range of people I get to work with and manage. High school tutors to retiree tutors, from all different walks of life
great experience with kids and volunteers
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), san jose, caMarch 10, 2015
Pros: working with children and volunteers directly
Cons: unstable management
I recruited and managed community volunteers to tutor students one on one. I would also assess each student and develop an individualized reading strategies for over 65 students each year. I worked alone at a school and collaborated with teaching and administrative staff at the school.
Good Place to Work.
Internship (Current Employee), San Lorenzo, CaFebruary 4, 2015
Great place to work if you love working with children. It is also a great experience if you are wanting to work with children and elementary students in the near future.
Gained helpful experience
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2014
I was able to fulfill my passion of helping others. Also I enjoyed working with the community. I was responsible for spear-heading the opening of a new site, which showed to be challenging at times. However I was able to overcome those challenges and the site was a success.
Productive and stimulating environment
Tutor (Former Employee), Hayward, CAOctober 22, 2014
A typical day would consist of tutoring my designated child on the reading material and worksheets. This is a repetitive process that is done 2-4 times a week and as a result raises the students reading level so that it is equal to the grade level they are in.
Fun, full of energy, high spirit people
Reading Tutor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 2, 2014
Retail sales associate work as first contact personnel in a retail environment. Their main job is to assist customers with questions and selections regarding the store’s merchandize. This position requires a person to be friendly and outgoing as the need to please customers is quite eminent in this work.
A program that helps english learners
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 20, 2014
Pros: meet great people
Cons: trouble with kids not wanting to do the activities
A normal day would consist of picking up the kid from the designated areas where he would wait in after school until I came to pick him out and take him to the library. there we would pick up a packet that had certain activities that helped the student learn and will help me teach the student. this went on for every session we had.
Focused and Friendly Environment
Literacy Intervention Tutor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 4, 2014
Reading Partners is a good company. I enjoyed working with the children and my coworkers.
Positive, disciplined learning environment
Tutor the students (Current Employee), Hyde Charter SchoolJune 1, 2014
A typical day at work with students I work with children in second and fifth grade,assist them with their reading and writing. Assist them in summarizing books and picking out main ideas. Help build strong literacy skills.
Great place with good atmoshpere
volunteer (Current Employee), SacramentoJanuary 30, 2014
Good place to volunteer at. Enjoyable people and community. Working with the children is great and productive.
Rewarding Internship
Intern/ Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: reward of helping students in need
Cons: unpaid internship
Reading Partners recruits volunteers from anywhere and anyone that is willing to go through shadow sessions and training to fully grasp the scope of the curriculum. Each tutor meets with a student twice a week for 45 minutes. During these 45 minutes tutors go through the lesson plan written by reading partners. I had the privilege of tutoring a few students. I also substituted for other tutors when they weren't able to make their sessions since I was already at the school helping out my cite coordinator with anything she needed to be done. I made copies of the lessons for each lesson plan. I corrected students work and also filled them into their folders. My site coordinator was very welcoming, I really enjoyed my time there and would recommend volunteering to anyone.
Teaching children reading skills
Tutor (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJune 21, 2013
working one on one children that are below their grade level in reading.
Great place to work, Lousy benefits.
Tutor and mentor (Former Employee), Oakland, Ca,July 25, 2012
Pros: feel good place.
Cons: no fututre
this was an internship/job. This job was a labor of love. I loved the students and my supervisor it made me love my job. but, alas there was not a job that would pay the bills.
Very productive and fun environment to work in
Tutor (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 11, 2012
A typical day started with getting your reading partner, and picking out a book they would like you to read to them, after wards is the daily lesson and a game if time is left. It was rewarding to know that your are helping a little child to become literate because you took an hour or two out of your day to help them. Everyone was friendly and hardoworking.