Reading Partners Employee Reviews

Treat volunteers very well
Literacy Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 25, 2016
Although I get paid through workstudy, I'm only a volunteer through their eyes. If you tutor more than three students they give you an hour break. They are very friendly and you get to work In a nice and clean environment
Pros
things run smoothly, tutoring sessions are easy
Cons
some students are challenging to tutor
This is something I can be passionate about
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2016
This jobs awakens not only its employees but the community to understand and grasp the education and reading crisis. I enjoy working here and the fact that it is an Americorps program makes it even more worthy.
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Sometimes hours are long
love the kids
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 7, 2016
Great experience working with the students and volunteers but the organization was lacking experience. I enjoyed the benefits but the compensation was little to none
good experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 9, 2017
I like this job. I like spending time with children. and help them,teach them some life experience, study experience. but it needs to be a lot patients.
Productive and fun workplace
Peer Reader / Reading Partner (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 4, 2016
I enjoyed my time tutoring students for Reading Partners. Each student was tutored for 20- 30 minutes each. I spent my time in a classroom dedicated to Reading Partners which has a reading corner with shelves of books for the student to choose from. I would read with each student for about 15 minutes before getting to the lesson.
Productive and rewarding workplace
Literacy Intervention Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 9, 2016
I enjoyed tutoring children and watching them grow as their fluency and reading comprehension rate increased. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching them expand their vocabulary and teaching the younger students to read.
Wonderful
Inclusion Facilitator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 24, 2016
Open staff and helpful! Great place to explore skills and try out ideas. Recommended for people under 28. Fun to work with students.
Great job experience gained, supportive community and friendly work enviornment
Site Coordinator (Americorps) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2016
Reading Partners is a great organization to work for. Their mission to close the education gap and end childhood illiteracy is a worthy cause to stand behind and work towards!
Pros
Fantastic full time staff
Cons
Small living stipend, full time hours
great place to work
Reading Partner/ Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 21, 2016
great place to site supervisor was great, site supervisor was understand of school schedule and worked with me on arranging times to work
Volunteer - Help struggling readers.
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 14, 2015
A typical day would start with reading my student a book of their choice and asking them higher order thinking questions. Then we would start the lesson with phonetics of letters or a blend of letters. We continue with learning new vocabulary that will be introduced in their guided reading. As they read, I would ask them questions and see if they could recall some of the vocabulary. At the end of each lesson, we would summarize the book verbally and the student would do a short worksheet.

It was a good experience for me. I learned how to be more patient when dealing with other people, how to listen attentively to what they are saying, and create a good conversation.

My co-volunteers were enthusiastic and encouraging. They often suggest ideas to help me improve my teaching techniques.

The most enjoyable part is having my students enjoy reading.
Cons
It's a struggle to keep the student's interest in the guided reading books.
Productive and stimulating environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 22, 2014
A typical day would consist of tutoring my designated child on the reading material and worksheets. This is a repetitive process that is done 2-4 times a week and as a result raises the students reading level so that it is equal to the grade level they are in.
Precarious Fun Fast Growing Non-Priofit
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 9, 2015
A typical day is spend answering general office and IT questions while managing office facilities and acting as a liaison with the property managers. Working to improve child literacy rates is the mission thus stimulating a culture that is fun, energetic, and youthful. Colleagues are smart, driven and compassionate. Challenges for a growing non-profit is developing business operations systems and training employees and guiding them through transition periods.
Pros
Fun Youthful Culture
Cons
Fluctuating Managment
Awesome cause; Amazing volunteers and staff.
Senior Regional Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2015
A typical day in the Senior RSC position starts by traveling to the designated reading center that I am scheduled to support. I work within 10 different schools on coordination of 35-50 volunteer tutors, coordination of 35-55 students at elementary grade level, conducting student assessments, tutoring, promoting equal opportunity learning and mentoring and counseling students. As the regional site coordinator, I have the advantage of visiting many different sites ad working with many different people. My job is to cultivate positive relationships between all these Reading Partners staff as well as between Reading Partners and the school community in order to ensure a healthy ongoing relationship and providing a safe and comfortable learning environment.
having a flexible that works just for you.
Tutor/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 12, 2015
A typical day is just you going to the classroom and communicating with your coordinator on how to teach your students new reading materials. when you are with your students, you read them a book of their choice for 10 min and give them tips on how to read a book properly. After reading the book, you then work with them on the assignment that is assign to them for that day; which involves learning new words and letters.
Pros
fixable schedule, great environment, other tutors are nice, tutoring in mornings are better.
Cons
tutoring between 2pm to 4pm is a little harder since the students are more tired around that time, so its hard to get there attention on the assignments.
great experience with kids and volunteers
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  san jose, caMarch 10, 2015
I recruited and managed community volunteers to tutor students one on one. I would also assess each student and develop an individualized reading strategies for over 65 students each year. I worked alone at a school and collaborated with teaching and administrative staff at the school.
Pros
working with children and volunteers directly
Cons
unstable management
Great mission, effective curriculum
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Silicon ValleyMay 12, 2015
Great mission to help the community but lacking in staff and management to achieve very high goals. Everyone seems passionate about bridging literacy gap.
Pros
Passionate members, great mission
Cons
High turnover, low pay, understaffed
Rewarding Internship
Intern/ Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Reading Partners recruits volunteers from anywhere and anyone that is willing to go through shadow sessions and training to fully grasp the scope of the curriculum. Each tutor meets with a student twice a week for 45 minutes. During these 45 minutes tutors go through the lesson plan written by reading partners. I had the privilege of tutoring a few students. I also substituted for other tutors when they weren't able to make their sessions since I was already at the school helping out my cite coordinator with anything she needed to be done. I made copies of the lessons for each lesson plan. I corrected students work and also filled them into their folders. My site coordinator was very welcoming, I really enjoyed my time there and would recommend volunteering to anyone.
Pros
reward of helping students in need
Cons
unpaid internship
AmerICorps job
Senior Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 4, 2015
* Tutoring in one-on-one language literacy development tutoring, teacher/parent/school staff communication, assessing students, managing the center, managing and maintaining data documents (Salesforce, google docs, excel, word, etc.), managing 75 tutors, managing 67 students, working closely with a team of 5 other site coordinators, leading and creating service day events (such as for MLK Day of Service)
* My manager was lovely. She trusts her team and allows us to be organic in our roles. She is very intentional and caring with her feedback, which I really appreciate
* Coworkers are great; not a lot of ethnic diversity in the employees, but all wonderful, well educated people
* Hardest part of the job is balancing all tasks during peak parts of the year, for instance beginning of year, mid-year, and end of year assessments
* The most enjoyable part of my job is educating and teaching kids. Also, the wide range of people I get to work with and manage. High school tutors to retiree tutors, from all different walks of life
Pros
Very intentionally making an impact, food stamps
Cons
Healthcare, short breaks, low pay
Helping out the youth
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMay 7, 2015
It is really worth it to joined this program. The reason why is that you are able to help improve the skills that the students need later in life. I think it is pretty cool that you are able to help students and to be able to meet with the people who are involve in this program. It is really worth it, since you can help others and you can also learned something new about yourself, in a way both the volunteer and student get to learn something new about themselves.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 21, 2015
RP gives you the autonomy you need to run your own tutoring center and provides many opportunities for professional development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reading Partners. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4