RealNetworks Employee Reviews

Great solution
Director, Strategic Accounts (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 28, 2017
RN's only real competitor was Microsoft's media player division. RN was successful at being integrated with some of the top PC companies and top industry players. It was the player of choice for most of them.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Revenue model
Remote Job
NETWORK MONITORING SPECIALIST (Remotely) (Former Employee) –  From Home in BothellSeptember 17, 2017
I worked from home for Real Networks and back then I was working as a 1099 employee through a temp company. I received no benefits but I did enjoy working from the house.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
No benfits.
Good Job
Business Development / Partner Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 13, 2017
Promoted to manage relationships with up to 50 key partners, coordinating research within specific markets and collaborating with product managers on definition of new product features. Defined opportunities, created business plans, and managed strategy execution, enhancing 3rd party relationships. As Marketing Program Manager, worked within group of 7 to manage partner program with 900 VAR, OEM, ISV, system integrator, and other companies.
Great work culture - Lots of new technology implementation
Sr. Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 4, 2017
RealNetworks has a great work culture. They have the most positive attitude towards any task and the management is really cool. They implement latest technologies for different projects. Sadly the company is not in great shape anymore as it used to be. expect layoff every year and there is no job security.
Pros
free goodies, outings, lunchs, good people
Cons
Not many- poor marketing decisions
Great Company
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 27, 2017
Real Networks donates a percentage of all profits to charity. The employee's help decide where that money goes every quarter. Though the company has struggled to make a profit, the charity reserve fund allows this company to continue giving back to the community.
Pros
Charity
Cons
Job Security
ok place to work with
Localization Software Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 8, 2016
Although the team and colleagues are very nice, company tends to lay off rather suddenly with very little notice. They provide decent working environment.
tons of works to work but less chance to grow
QA & Product support Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
team has ton of works to enhance the platform but seem company profit getting decreased. did not get much chance for promotion or raise. No chance to learn and grow your career within the company.
Great environment
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 4, 2016
Great office environment - only a contractor there but was welcomed by all. Large assortment of food and a great view at the time
Pros
Lunch, view, co-workers, office
Cons
Good work culture and great benefits
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 24, 2015
RealNteworks strives to keep its employees happy, and has a generous benefits package. Work hours can be long sometimes, because RealNetworks is trying to re-invent itself and is not yet profitable.
Poorly managed company with lots of money.
contractor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 4, 2014
This is a very top-down company. The vision is stifled due to a drive to appease higher-ups. Managers are constantly in the mode of protecting themselves from work, and often don't support the team. Project managers often don't properly support the projects they head, this is relatively common at RealNetworks. However, the facilities are great and the pay was good.
Pros
Free breakfast/snacks
Cons
Very bad management team
Enjoyable creative enviorment where I was able to grow
Corporate Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Seattle WASeptember 23, 2014
During a typical day at work I answered and routed incoming calls to the appropriate person, greeted guests, helped them sign into the badging system and contacted their host, answered employees' questions from where things were located to how to book a conference room in calendar. I also took on any additional work that my team members needed help with.
I learned a lot about the interworking's of a building since I worked in facilities. I also learned about the relationships between different departments and how they work together to keep a company running smoothly.
Management changed a couple of times during my employment. Some were more helpful and better communicators than others. They were all fair and good managers in my experience.
Dealing with upset customers over the reception phone. This was because I was not able to help them.
The people there are amazing. Both the employees and most of the guests. It was a very happy place to work. I tried to keep the reception area an inviting and low stress area so that people can start their day on a positive note.
Pros
Great benifits and time off
Cons
Lack of comunication.
RealNetworks
Associate Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Reston, VASeptember 17, 2014
We were a smaller company who got bought by Real Networks. Real Networks is a Seattle based company.
Pros
This company has an awesome culture!
HRIS Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 6, 2014
I really love the people at this company. My everyday life is to give 100% with ultimate customer service. The management makes sure that we are communicated on the happenings of the company. The most enjoyable part of my job is providing employees with great service.
Interesting
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 1, 2014
It was interesting to work there. I learned lot of new technologies and lessons working there.
Good technology, poor use of my skills
Product Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 29, 2013
Interesting internship opportunity while getting my MBA. They didn't make good use of my talents or skills however. My manager was traveling and out of the office most of the time I was there that summer.
good one
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 11, 2013
Developing BI Queue Reader and data transforming based on Teradata and Oracle using JAVA/J2EE based EDW/BI system (Zabbix+Teradata+Oracle+SonicMQ) for Real Networks.
Fun place with nice people but declining business
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 1, 2012
It is a friendly place to work with people who like each other and collaborate. There is mobility within the company.
Pros
lunchroom with subsidized lunches, waterfront location
Cons
lay-offs
A company with a lot of great intelligent people and a ton of areas to work in
Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 2, 2012
A company that is invested into many areas, which provides a lot of opportunity to stretch and grow
Some great parts to the business and super people, as long as Seattle isn't included...
Network Operations Eng III,System Adm,Tech Writer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 24, 2012
The location in VA experienced great growth and had golden years as WiderThan (formerly Ztango). WTA had attributes that made it a fantastic place to work, and attractive enough for a hostile takeover to take place from corporate Real in Seattle. The positive benefit like a free Rhapsody account was a nice perk, though pales in comparison to the balance of the equation. My team and department and managers up through the WTA CEO were outstanding and are solidly referable, and would work with and assemble as a team again. RealNetworks at the home office took a diamond and threw it in a pile of sh t, thoroughly tarnishing a once-sound business. That approach doesn't give you a pile of diamonds, just a sh t-covered diamond.
How many CEO's have transitioned through and how's the timeline on the stock price shaped over the past few years? Search RNWK under google finance to see for yourself-
Pros
reston team, including team and management
Cons
all things seattle