Recology Employee Reviews

management
Residential Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Pacifica, CANovember 21, 2017
Everything I learned during my time working here was because of myself and my hard work. The management here needs a huge change because as someone who had little experience coming into this job, I had no help whatsoever. How are you supposed to learn when you are behind the truck having no communication with anyone about anything that is happening.
Humble and Helpful Team Effort!
Environmental Compliance Intern (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 4, 2017
All of the employees inside Recology are very nice and humble. Everyone is willing to help out where needed; no matter how high up your position is, the place you are from, nor the task that needs to be completed. The company has a good work-life balance and is understanding if family needs to come first. I would definitely recommend this employee-owned company to others.
Pros
Humble co-workers, site and office work, employee-owned stock, 401 K matching from company, healthcare benefits
Cons
Harder to grow in a position
Stressful and not much help
Lead Customer Service/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CAApril 20, 2017
This work place was very short handed and there wasn't a lot of training. You usually will have to learn on your own or if you were lucky and had someone like me who take my time to train you, you would love the place. They depend on one person to do everything and that's the part that makes the job hard.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Sometimes I would not have a break due to how busy it was
Great Employees, Changing Culture,
Zero Waste Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 16, 2017
This company has great benefits and is an employee owned company meaning that all employees after being vested have shares of the company stock. The company partners with the City of San Francisco in public policy to help with reaching sustainability goals, which makes it a great place to learn about how to create innovation and public policy that works.

The company needs to learn to develop an internal training program that can help retain employees. They need to understand that employees value professional development and that its not a sustainable solution to constantly hire external candidates for management level position as oppose to developing talent within the company.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly staff
Cons
no job mobility
Very fun and active environment
Supermarket Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sun Valley, CAFebruary 15, 2017
A typical day of work consists of going to the office and greeting everyone, getting some coffee from our fixed machine. The office is pretty quiet from everyone working.
Pros
lots of free lunches
Cons
dull
Talent Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2016
Worked with dedicated teams who believed in company mission and goals.
Management support always available.
Enjoyed working with teams throughout California, Oregon and Washington
Expansion of business
Still has 'small company' feel
Employee Owned
Pros
Great direct supervisor, team support, employee owned
Productive and team oriented
Sorter San Francisco, Ca (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 8, 2015
I was the only female in the department and bonded very well with everyone there. They took me under their wing and taught me everything they knew. The hardest part of the job was not being able to work there any longer because I was laid off. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people and the longevity.
Union Environment
HR Generalist III (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 16, 2015
The HR dept operates efficiently although because each company has their own HR team didn't feel like a cohesive place to work.
Get Temp Position
temp to hire through Account Temps (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2015
I worked as a Temp with them in the Accounts Payable Dept. I wasn't there long, however, my co-worker/friend is still there. She likes working there. Lots of hours available.
Pros
Small Office Environment
Cons
Work long hours.
Able to learn to drive class a truck/work on production equipment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Gilroy CaMay 26, 2015
removing plastic from garbage to make compost for sale.Driving the rolloff truck (moving material compost that has cured to final screen)
Working on the grind tools.Best MANAGER you could ever want to
work for.Everyone was great to work with except .Nothing hard about job.Just accomplishing what needed to be done everyday.
productive and on the go
maint mechanic (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 14, 2014
very stable work environment.there always a recycling thought of mind recology key function is recycling and keeping our state clean and productive for our environment
Pros
bonuses
Cons
pay rate is very low
It was a great company overall.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Carlos, CANovember 6, 2014
A typical day at work was taking phone calls from customers who want to schedule a clean up or complain about their trash being missed. I have to enter the information and send it to the driver.
Busy place to work
Laberer/Rolloff driver (Current Employee) –  Gilroy CaAugust 11, 2014
Start of day begins with checking grinders/screens,rolloff ,water truck and service truck to begin production,Time management because of being short handed but my boss is a great supporter.Some are good others are selfish/lazy and that makes it more difficult to get the job done on time.Learning the tools
Pros
Outside/able to learn process
Cons
Negative people
A growing company with a progressive outlook.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonOctober 3, 2013
The most rewarding aspect of the position was working with the crew and management team. I was able to develop and mentor young managers and help them expand and meet their potential. We were able to identify potential in front line employees and give them opportunities to expand their skill sets.
Pros
Trying to adapt a franchise model to an open market
Cons
The company is not a good fit for an open market

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Recology. Our community is ready to answer.