Red Lobster Employee Reviews

Found 1,866 reviews matching the search
Asssistant Manager
Server/Certified Trainer/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 26, 2013
GERARDO A MENDEZ
1724 NESTING PL
EL PASO, TX 79936

Career Objectives
Seeking a full time position with a well established company where I will be able to utilize my skills and experience
coupled with my high degree of motivation, I feel I would be an asset to your company. I am an assertive leader.
Summary of Qualifications
I have many areas of Customer Service expertise ranging from (Retail, Marketing, Public Relations & Restaurants). I
have Management experience in these areas and I am an assertive leader. I work hard to achieve success in my
jobs.
Work History
Red Lobster, EL PASO, Texas
Server/Certified Trainer/Assistant Manager Jan 15, 2013 - Dec 11, 2013
Server
Greet guests at their tables, keeping them comfortable. Provide efficient service by guiding guests through menus,
suggestively selling drinks, appetizers, entrees and desserts. Collect payments from guests. Write patrons' food
orders on order slips, memorize orders, or enter orders into computers for transmittal to kitchen staff. Prepare checks
that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes. Take orders from patrons for food or beverages.
Certified Trainer
On-the-job training is provided by Certified Trainers team members who have completed certification to train others
who teach new employees the ins and outs of the job. On average, new team members receive 40 to 80 hours of
training (depending on the job) through video and hands-on instruction. Company values and expected behaviors are
woven throughout the training to reinforce that how we treat our guests and how we treat each other is as important
as the
  more... specifics of the job itself.
Beverage and Hospitality Manager/Service Manager
Select, hire and train all the folks that'll make sitting at your bar so fun. Then manage their day-to-day shifts. You'll be
a constant motivator and strategist overseeing promotions, supervising bar product inventory, ordering and receiving
shipments, and taking charge of sales and costs at the bar.
Supervise the team that's serving up smiles. Select, hire, train and manage all servers. Oversee day-to-day shifts,
labor, guest services and sanitation. Build check averages and guest counts to support sales. Most important of all:
build relationships with guests.
Underground Beetz Entertainment, El Paso, Texas
Events Coordinator May 05, 2009 - Dec 29, 2012
Coordinate activities of staff and convention personnel to make arrangements for group meetings and conventions.
Arrange the availability of audio-visual equipment, transportation, displays, and other event needs.
Conduct post-event evaluations to determine how future events could be improved. Confer with staff at a chosen
event site to coordinate details.
Consult with customers to determine objectives and requirements for events such as meetings, conferences, and
conventions. Coordinate services for events, such as accommodation and transportation for participants, facilities,
catering, signage, displays, special needs requirements, printing and event security.
American Eagle Outfitters, El Paso, Texas
Sales Associate/Stock Room Assistant Supervisor Sep 21, 2012 - Nov 23, 2012
Sales Associates are responsible for opening and closing the stores. Maintaining product visibility and stock
awareness are key to the role. Customer support in the form of clothing choices, suggestive selling, size
requirements, online ordering, accessory purchases, final sales, returns and purchase issues are all required.
Knowledge of the companies clothing line is imperative.
Overview of Stocking and Inventory Associates Jobs:
Stock and inventory associates are responsible for the flow of merchandise from the point of delivery to the sales
floor or internal destination. When working in this role, you may be responsible for receiving, unpacking, processing,
organizing, and storing merchandise. This position is not just about heavy lifting. The companys merchandising and
display standards will be in your hands, so your work will ensure that products are eaasily accessible, visually
appealing, and constantly available. Your work will enhance the brand image of both the products and the store, and
positively impact the customer experience.
Leo's Mexican Restaurant, Texas
Server/Busser Oct 03, 2011 - Oct 01, 2012
Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems. Collect
payments from customers.
Write patrons' food orders on order slips, memorize orders, or enter orders into computers for transmittal to kitchen
staff. Prepare checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes. Take orders from patrons for food or
beverages.
Goodwill Industries, EL PASO, Texas
Assistant Supervisor Aug 25, 2010 - Nov 04, 2010
Operates cash register accurately and efficiently for customer transactions, processes credit card transactions and
makes change.
Provides customer service in a friendly manner.
Pulls clothing / textiles from carts or gaylords.
Evaluates quality and determines whether it meets retail standards.
For quality items, determines season of garment and places in hang area or seasonal bin.
For poor quality items, places in bale cart or trash.
Places other items from carts in appropriate bin (shoes, purses, etc.).
Hangs clothing and textiles on hangers and places on z-racks.
Receives payment by cash, check, credit cards, or automatic debits.
Issues receipts and change due to customers.
Counts money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is
adequate change.
Greets customers entering establishments.
Maintains clean and orderly checkout areas.
Determines prices for house wares and places pricing stickers on items using pricing gun.
Answers customers questions and provides information on procedures or policies.
Pulls z-racks from processing area to sales floor.
Hangs items from z-racks in appropriate department.
Straightens sales floor and changing rooms.
Answers customers questions about merchandise and advises customers on merchandise selection.
Packs customer purchases in bags or cartons.
Cleans display cases, shelves and aisles.
Monitors changing rooms for loss control concerns and reports any problems to manager on duty.
Pulls items from carts and places on shelves or racks.
Pulls outdated inventory from shelves and racks, takes off hanger and places in gaylord.
Maintains store premises in compliance with Agency Safety Standards.
Performs other duties as assigned
Mission Homes Inc., El Paso, Texas
Assistant Manager Jul 02, 2008 - Mar 23, 2010
Supervise and coordinate the activities of clerical and administrative support workers.
Hollister Clothing Store, El Paso, Texas
Stocker May 05, 2008 - Aug 31, 2009
Receive, store, and issue sales floor merchandise. Stock shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with merchandise
and arrange merchandise displays to attract customers. May periodically take physical count of stock or check and
mark merchandise.
Language Skills
English - Excellent ( Read Write Speak )
Spanish - Excellent ( Read Write Speak )
Great management
Service Professional/ Bartender (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAAugust 15, 2014
I must say, this is one of the better jobs I have worked for. Benefits are great if you work enough hours to get and retain. Hours are flexible, and time-off is usually easy to get except during the holidays. A typical weekday/night is usually pretty slow and easy, staff is generally friendly and fun to work with. Of course there are always a few sticklers. Weekends are generally busy and good money if you work as a Server or Bartender. Most people like to joke around and have fun at work, which provides both a relaxed and comfortable environment for the employees as well as the guests.

I have learned much from Red Lobster, namely it's a good job. I found this out the hard way when I went to work outside the company for a few weeks and experienced first-hand how horrible other jobs are. I have learned that the guests are the ones providing us with jobs and paying our bills and should always be treated with respect and dignity no matter how "difficult" they can be. Americans tend to be rich and spoiled, but most people are not rich and work hard for their money. We all work hard for our money, so when we spend it we like to feel appreciated. Most people are easy, but yes some folks can be extremely difficult, but hospitality is forte. Believe me, if you are able to make a difficult guest satisfied, they are usually overwhelmed with joy and happiness, and it's contagious they end up making you happy and sometimes cry . Of course, there are always a select few that take advantage of our kindness and hospitality, but I have learned to be the better person and make a point to kill
  more... them with kindness. I used to not believe in Karma, but what goes around comes around, I have seem it too many times.

As far as the Management goes, they are wonderful, so long as you care about your job they take care of you. Of course, they can be a big pain sometimes and get on everyone's nerves (employees), but they have a tough job to do and sometimes have to make tough decisions whether they want to or not. If it wasn't for the wonderful management team, I would not still be working here. They work harder than anyone else, and are forced to work the holidays with us. After working with the same managers for so many years, it's like being with my family on the holidays.

As far as co-workers go they are a mess. Most are good hard-working industrious people, but of course you always have the lazy-whinny unreliable sticklers. Of course the managers can't just fire the difficult ones that's unethical, but management does a wonderful job coaching and encouraging the sticklers to brighten-up and work harder. It works for most, but some just don't care and weed themselves out after being provided with opportunities to turn-around.

The hardest part of the job is getting slammed, crazy busy, unexpectedly, or expectantly just without time to properly set-up and prepare. What makes that so hard is that in situations like that we are usually understaffed and unprepared. The normal positive energy goes negative and everyone is running around bumping into each other and squabbling like siblings. We are like a giant family after all. It's also hard to deal with all the drama. No matter how hard you try to stay out of it, you always get sucked in. The more you avoid it, the worse it gets for you.

The most enjoyable part of this job is having both management and team members that care about your well-being. In event of an emergency, crew members usually step in and help out providing various forms of aid. Management is only allowed to provide certain types of aid such as providing time off providing financial assistance through Red Lobster's emergency fund. We all are like a big family, we tend to get on each others nerves, but for the most part every enjoys his/her job and we always try to have fun at work and provide a positive environment for both ourselves at the guests.
Pros
50% off of meals during shift 25 % discount on parties 10 or less so.
Cons
everyone is required to work weekends, no benefits or vacation pay unless you average 30 hours or more per week
Wonderful coworkers but a horrible management staff
Server, Host, Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJune 1, 2013
I started at Red Lobster as a server in Florida. I only worked down there for about 2 months and had to move unexpectedly for personal safety reasons to Maryland. A month had passed and I still hadn't found a new job and my manager from the Florida store called me and told me he put an outstandingly good word for me at the Hagerstown Red Lobster where I then worked for a little over 2 years. While being there I broadened my knowledge throughout the restaurant and became a hostess, bartender, and an alley coordinator in the kitchen. I tended to be used as a backup employee if the restaurant was short staffed somewhere. My co-workers were and still are my friends who helped in anyway on the clock or off the clock. Most of the people I worked with I spent time with outside of work and we all got to know each other very well. Because I was experienced in different positions at the job, multitasking was a ritual for me. I could go in as a server, but I also hosted if I had a free minute, or I helped bar tend if the bartenders were backed up. A lot of the times if there was an extremely short staff and the manager was stuck in the kitchen, I would run the front of the restaurant and make sure that people were sat correctly and the servers were not swamped with overloaded work. I tried several different times to become a certified trainer and a PRO (Professional Service Specialist) but eventually realized that in this particular store it didn't matter how much time and effort one puts into their job, there wasn't any room for advancement. Several times, I had found out through text  more... messages about co-workers calling out of work that were supposed to help open the restaurant or even just serve, and each time (if I had enough hours that wouldn't put me into overtime) I would call and volunteer myself to help come in and do my job. Management was not organized. Any and all issues I or any of my coworkers addressed to the general manager, kitchen manager, hospitality manager, or service manager was pointless. Neither one of them took responsibility for any action. Each and everyone of them would refer us to the other manager and it would turn into a circle of nothing. When I or my co-workers approach our district manager with the same issues, the other managers got upset, the issue gets addressed for the day that the district manager is there, and then things go back to normal when he would leave. When the general manager said he would do something, he wouldn't and when anyone approached him about it, he wouldn't know what anyone was talking about. A day shift and a night shift usually has 2 managers working or 1 manager and 1 PRO (one for the kitchen and one for the dining room). I can think of specifically 5 different times in just the past 3 months where the restaurant was so very short staffed on any shift because there have been some staffing issues, and the other managers were obligated to stay whether they wanted to or not but the general manager would never stay or come in and help. With management, there is a very strong feeling of a disconnection between employees and management. I personally don't feel like they care about their employees and they don't go above and beyond for anyone unless the district manager is in the building. When dealing with customer complaints in the dining room, they come to the kitchen and talk bad about their guests and sometimes argue amongst themselves on who is going to go out to talk to the customer and make them happy. One manager in specific will be your best friend to your face, walk 5 steps away from you to another employee, and talk bad about you behind your back. She has done it with every employee I have worked with including myself.  less
Pros
health insurance, pet insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, discounts at specific phone companies and car lots, discounts on dining it at any darden location
Cons
management
Was ok for a while
Alley Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IndianaJuly 13, 2013
I started as a server assistant which includes generally helping the server bus tables and walk food. Some servers will take you for granted and expect you to bus all their tables and/or walk all their food while they gossip. You can expect to lift up to 50lbs trays when busy and up to about 30lbs when slower. If it's slow, they will cut you early. Sometimes you will be cut and not find out until you walk in. Pay started at $4/hr with 1.25% tip out from servers' SALES (not tips!) split between ALL SAs on duty that day.

I was supposed to become a server, but GM said I didn't know the menu well enough, but would let others with some to no serving experience become servers and soon after, allowed me to move into the kitchen as an alley coordinator. Alley coordinator NEEDS to know the menu (ironically) because they put final touches on food and have the final say before food is walked. Alley coordinator is also responsible for keeping alley clean (front of kitchen) and duties include prepping salads, wiping counters, tear down/set up alley for night/next day, etc.,

Servers tend to get impatient and will try to fix their food (add condiments, lemons, knives, sauces/toppings, etc.,) themselves. Some don't know what they are doing and will mess up and occasionally new entree will have to be prepped. Most servers at my location will bare-handedly touch food and claim they "just washed" their hands, even when they didn't. In my state, you HAVE to wear gloves or use tongs (if not wearing gloves) and can NOT wash hands then touch food (may be different for food prep people since their
  more... hands are constantly in sinks, but I don't know as much about prep area of food handling) GM will try to come up with excuse for not wearing gloves. Some kitchen and most servers will have some hair hanging down (like bangs or loose ponytails) and will still work with food even though all hair is supposed to be restrained. Very, very few people will actually get new gloves or utensils when allergen warning pops up on entree screen because they don't understand how deadly allergies can be if even a molecule ends up on the food, so if you have a fish allergy, the gloves and utensils that have been touching fish will 95% of the time touch your food as well.

Pay for alley coordinator is $8.70/hr and is basically a gateway into other kitchen areas like line cook and grill master.

Be careful. Darden is a great company as a whole and helps out coworkers in times of need (disaster happens, whatever is contributed by employees will be matched 100% by Darden, the parent company), but I personally will not stand for health code violations and have called out managers and servers alike for breaking rules only to get yelled at and talked down to. So, tread with a light foot. It's possibly to become a manager, but much more likely with a degree.
Pros
25% discount off shift, 50% discount during shift, occasional free food
Cons
breaks are rare unless you are scheduled two different times in same day, then they are required
productive/fun work environment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHOctober 14, 2013
A typical day at work would be coming in greeting guest/making sure rotation of servers are in correct order/taking guest to their seats/occasionally taking carry out orders/ringing in the order and getting the food boxed up and making sure order is correct/cashing out the carry out order.
Our management team are pretty well liked. I could go to them for just about anything, if i have question about something they are sure to give me an answer and if they don't know right off hand they are quick to find me an answer. I've worked with the general manager the entire almost 9 years that i've worked with her and she's honestly like a mother figure to me. If i have a problem she is always there to help me out. She goes above and beyond to make sure I'm getting enough hours and if there is a problem with something she is easily approachable to talk to. We talk and sort the problem out and fix it.
I get along with the majority of my co-workers. We work as a team at red lobster. If anyone needs anything we are always there to help one another out for example if one of the servers needs a help walk to walk their food we are willing to help walk food. If a server needs us to get drink orders we will always help out and take them for them. Since i have been there for quite a while i do a lot of training of the new employees. I feel i am easy to approach if they have any questions and am more than willing to help them with anything they may need.
The hardest part of my job would be at times it can get pretty busy and hectic up front especially on the weekends for example people wanting
  more... quote times for larger parties. Taking call ahead seating for parties of 4 or less. Making sure the other host/hostesses are doing their jobs. Making sure tables are being bussed and cleaned properly and sat at a timely fashion. At times we have large carry out orders, making sure the carry out orders are correct and put together by the time the customers would like them by.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be meeting new people. I like talking to guest and getting to know them. We have quite a few regulars that frequent often, it's nice to see them and talk with them. Getting lobsters out of the tank for little kids to see/pet as they like to say brightens my day a bit. It's cute to see how the little kids react to the lobsters and they get a little kick out of it.
What i've learned from my job would be how important team work is, without team work things tend to be more hectic and not as efficient. When you work well with others everything else runs smoothly.
Pros
50% off discount if worked an hour before shift or an hour after shift, 25% discount for other darden restaurants, vacation pay
Cons
healthcare, working most weekends
This was a great place to work....in 2008
Certified Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 23, 2013
I started during a big transition in the company when the need to maximize profits with fewer guests came into eat. I slowly watched them cut benefits and bartender pay to have the servers have an automatic percentage of their sales, not their earned tips, go to the bartender and server assistants. I also watched them get rid of vacation pay for certain employees, cut the employee stock program, and raised the rates of health care yearly but the insurance is HORRIBLE if you ever have the misfortune of having to use it. As far as advancement, I was promoted to Certified Server trainer within 3 months, but then they also got rid of the extra pay they used to give when you would trian. While training, you have no choice but to go at a slower pace and possible get fewer tables in order to ensure proper training of the employee, but apparently Darden does not value having properly trained employees or respecting the people that make sure they are trained according to Darden standards. This is a decent place if you don't plan to work here for a long time, but both General Managers I had for both restaurants I worked in were bullies and both have subsequently been terminated. They say there is an open door policy, but if the District Manager and Manager are friends, nothing will come of the report you make and it will also make your work life there much more difficult. You are promised the worst shifts until you quit. That is their way of firing you without having to pay unemployment. Basically, starve the person until they have no choice but to move unto the next cruddy job. I personally  more... left the company in good standing, but I had a hard time in the particular restaurants I worked because of what I watcjhed happen to other employees. I can no longer work for a brand that doesn't share my values, nor will I eat at any of their establishments. If you get into a restaurant you enjoy, I say go for it. Oh, I also have a friend that is still working there and now is travelling to Saudi Arbia for a restaurant opening, although they are only paying $10 an hour while he is there. I realize they are paying his travel expenses, but we live in the US, so you kind of expect that!  less
Pros
25% off you and 7 guests at any darden restaurant
Cons
almost everything else
poor management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVOctober 6, 2013
I really enjoyed my job for the most part after I got the hang of it. However, my co-workers were the ONLY reason I enjoyed working there.
I was a hostess, so normally I would just clock in and get right to it so the shift before me can leave. Basically, if it gets busy when you're on your own the management doesn't care at all and tells you to do more work even when you clearly have your hands full. When they are bored though, they will come up to the podium and start running things when they literally have no idea what they are doing, even when it's slow and you obviously don't need help.
Not to mention, they will talk to you like you're stupid, and if they're mad at you, forget about having a good day because they will sit there and be rude to you for fun. I felt like the management picked on me a lot, also. They definitely play favorites and everyone there knows it.
The hardest part of the job was when I was new. The computer system is not the easiest thing to learn, and they have no patience for people who are learning. They were in the transition of switching over the paper system to the computer system. I was told I wouldn't need to be trained on the paper system because they wanted me to just learn the computers. They didn't even start using the computers until a few weeks after I was out of my training period. I got scheduled alone with this paper system that I had absolutely no training on because I was told we'd be using the computer. They were rude about me asking for help and treated me like I was a burden when it was actually their fault.
The most enjoyable part
  more... of the job was making friends with the servers, bartenders, kitchen crew, bussers, and the other hosts. We are all on the same page with how poor the management is, and they were very comforting when the management made you have a bad day.
The company itself is a good company, my specific location was just horrible.
Cons
no breaks, horrible management
its productive not so much as fun and they mostly just care about the money they bring in not the worker
Server (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 26, 2014
Based on how its run from the inside its pretty cleaver and convenient to the people on salary and the people at the top of the food chain but everyone beneath that its very hard and now harder now that there isn't any gratuity included in the checks.which is the worst thing ever because even if you give your best you may go home with nothing. so we basically work for free now .A typical day at work is fast pace never over whelming as long as you pace yourself. the environment with my other co-workers that are in the same pay rate as me is OK. there are a few managers who actually care and try there best to make the shift go by as smoothly as possible.The part I enjoy most about the job is you get the opportunity to interact with new people everyday from all different places.Its really fun to hear them say this is my first time coming here and you made my dinning experience most enjoyable.The hardest part of the job is when where seated back to back and we serve so many people in a day that we run out of food prepared for the estimated guest count.What makes it harder is the company does not provide us with enough working equipment to use to complete the high volume of guest we receive. along with them requiring us to take orders,clean our tables,walk your drinks,soup,salad,bread,appetizers and set it for the table for the next round,walk food and while your walking food for someone else your guest are sometimes walking out on the check and not paying, on top that we have server assistance we have to pay at the end of the night which are hired to do this along with us having  more... to split our money with the bar . voices are more likely to be heard in numbers then individually.  less
Pros
slow days you get to go home early
Cons
no breaks
Co-workers made the day, but management was never consistent.
Ally Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 10, 2014
A typical day at work would be a shift from 4-11 hours working in the kitchen. I learned a lot working in the kitchen. From preparing and cooking food, to working together smoothly as a team. Although, management was extremely difficult to work with at this particular establishment. Management started going downhill after our GM transferred to a different location and was replaced by the kitchen manager. From that moment on management was inconsistent from their rules and policies to the personal way they wanted task accomplished. Each manager had their own way of doing things and this lowered employee morale since there was not one straight guideline to follow. I was good at my job, but they would not let me become server. They wanted to keep me in the kitchen. In the end I went to Olive Garden and served for around 3 years. One of the managers from Red Lobster was dining at Olive Garden and told me I was doing a good job and told a friend of mine that was still working at Red Lobster that they had made a mistake. While I was working at Red Lobster most of the co-workers became good friends of mine and that made work more enjoyable. The worst part of the day was closing up the kitchen due to all the cleaning that was involved. The best part of the day besides clocking out and going home was when we were very busy. I enjoyed this because I like to move fast and have something to do, not stand around looking at the clock. On my way home, this always gave me a sense of accomplishment from a hard day of work.
Pros
50% off meals on days an employee worked and 25% off meals on days an employee had off.
Cons
poor management. lack of advancement opportunities.
Fun place to work and I loved my co-workers as I would if they were family.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMarch 16, 2015
Every day I'd start off my work day immediately. When I was hosting, I was quick to memorize the servers that were on and exactly how many tables they had seated in their sections determining where I would seat the next guests that walked in. When I was serving I had a great time making a personal connection with all of my guests. I'd make them feel comfortable and welcomed while also making sure to bring them everything that they needed in a short period of time. At the end of the day I'd feel like I did the best I could do and more for my Red Lobster team and our guests.

My managers were always very supportive of how I did things while I was working. They would constantly push me to do my best and help me to do so through motivation and certain tasks. I always had the best time when we were really busy because everybody would work at such a fast yet productive pace. I'd always be able to keep up with the floor plan and have a back up plan ready if needed.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the guests that come in that don't have any idea about how exactly the restaurant field works and want to complain about something just to get free food. You can't make everybody in the world happy but you can certainly try your best no matter what the situation is.

I enjoy being the first person the guests see smiling and working really hard. I like them to feel welcomed from the moment they walk in the door. I also like to have all of the things I'm going to need to have done at the end of the night completely finished or started early.

Pros
i appreciated how my managers recognized how diligent i was.
Cons
no breaks during 8/10 hr shifts. no lunch.

Want to know more about Red Lobster?

Ask a question
This is my review on Red Lobster in WB
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 9, 2012
I started my management career with Red Lobster in Dickson City. It was wonderful. The GM was very fair with scheduling, and everyone got along great. I was transferred to Wilkes-Barre in June, 2011. At first it seemed ok, a lot busier than Dickson City, but no one would help each other, especially managers, except me and the GM. I was on the line cooking when needed, which was quite often. I handled many situations on the floor with guests. I never received a guest complaint on one of my shifts (and we got alot). I was let go in January, 2012 because of an accusation that there was a conflict with a manager, which ended up a he said she said. I never was even questioned by my director, which I also believe is wrong. I am an upstanding person, I do not lie, cheat, or steal. I have a wonderful family, and that's the most important thing in my life. One of the other manager's at the WB Red Lobster felt threatened by me, and I believe that she sabbotaged me, but I had no proof, only circumstancal. I am glad that I got our when I did because there were weeks I was working 70 hours a week, opening at 8am and not leaving until 8pm. I never saw my family. I am willing to work very hard and make your restaurant stronger. I am more of a service manaager, I was a culinary manager for the entire time I managed at Red Lobster. If you were to look at my file from Red Lobster, there are no write-ups, and I worked there for 7yrs. The only thing you will find are good reviews, and even as a manager, I got good reviews.
Pros
working with people, getting to help the back of the house which most people forget about, and they have the hardest jobs.
Cons
extremely long hours, and management not getting along
Positive Environment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Norridge, ILMay 24, 2015
Red Lobster in Norridge, IL. is a very energetic work environment; learning communication skills and positive work ethics every day is a routine that is much appreciated as well as expected daily. In the year that I've worked in the restaurant industry, I've learned to build extraordinary communication skills as well as much about work ethics in itself. Knowing how to do not only my job as hostess, on a daily basis I would ask how to do other jobs, such as serving, working in the kitchen, and management. As far as management goes, I have never had managers as impressive as the ones at Red Lobster in Norridge, IL. My managers are hard working, great leaders, understanding, fantastic multi-taskers, and are teaching me to follow in their footsteps soon, as I plan to become a manager as soon as I can. The co-workers are also hard workers, as they can multi-task at impressive speeds and improve their memory and socialization skills daily. The hardest part of my job was training new hosts while simultaneously doing my job and helping others, as doing so many things at once and maintaining happy customers is a challenge in and of itself. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was the respect I had earned from not only the other hosts, but with servers, kitchen pros, and management. I do not only do my job, I help others as well, but not at the cost of setting myself back. The restaurant I had worked at was one big team, and we always pride ourselves in how hard we work, because at the end of the day it's about how we satisfy the customers and keep our business as well organized  more... as possible.  less
Pros
Reasonable hours
Cons
In need of remodeling
Customer Service at Red Lobster
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 25, 2012
Working at Red Lobster is very intense. A typical day at work is mostly just seating people and running the front lobby. We usually are busier than most places because we are located in a designated busy area. I have learned a lot, one big thing I have learned is people, when doing a job I do I interact with a lot of different people and you learn all the different types of people. I also learned hard work and teamwork. We are big on teamwork and hard work and it goes well and we have a lot of fun. Management is good, of course it's not perfect but what is. Management really takes care of each individual person as their own, everyone is not the same and they understand that. Our customer count is big and I believe the management is a big part of that, they make all guests feel welcome and special like they are at home. Co-workers are hard working and team working people. I would have to say this was my first real job but I have volunteered a lot and I have to say they are the best people I have ever been able to work with, some of them have left some of then have transferred, but I wouldn't trade them. The hardest part of the job for me I have to say is when dealing with complaints, not saying I can't handle them, but it's hard to sometimes explain to people problems we might be having or another part of the restaurant might be having and sometimes patience isn't their key trait, but the most enjoyable part is to meet new people and learn new things. In my review, I do like working at Red Lobster, and it is a good place to come out if you like friendly people.
Pros
good co-workers, good lunch breaks
Cons
no benefits, not many hours
Productive and constructive managaement opportunity that has allowed me to advance myself within my career
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Austell, GAOctober 14, 2014
Going through the Red Lobster's management program and management course has allowed me to experience the leadership responsibilities and job culture that is needed to properly run a successful restaurant. This position does require an extensive work schedule however it has added to the work constraints of the job but has allowed me to come to terms with all that a position such as this entails. A typical day of work includes directing, delegating, and coaching over 80 team members, fully stocking and detailing both the front and back of the house, interacting with guests, complying with the rules and regulations of the company, and reassuring that results and progression is made in our daily process. With the responsibilities of being a kitchen manager has also includes learning and preparing weekly inventories, reducing wastes, complying with health and sanitation logs and systems, menu/ recipe knowledge and enforcement, scheduling kitchen staff members, maintenance of equipment, and exposure to cooking methods. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with guests, running a successful kitchen with talented initiative team members, and achieving the goals and results set out during a quarter. The hardest part of the job is the extensive schedules. Overall, my experience at Red Lobster has allowed me to the acquire the hands on training and the tools needed to further assist me with my career and management skills.
Daily Challenge With Your Weekly Curveball!
Host/Server (Current Employee) –  Munster, INMarch 1, 2015
You walk in and on the perfect work day, you are happily greeted by at least one of your managers and the expectations for the day/evening are laid out for you and what steps or suggestions that can be done to make it easier to achieve.
For the most part, nothing regarding how the operation is run prevents employees for being set up for success, although the curveball mentioned in the title is what I am eluding to.
It seems to depend on the employees or in some cases managers that are on that are contingent on the way the operation is run.
This I believe is unnacceptable because businesses are often compared to a well oiled machine; if each and every cog and component is not doing it's part everyday, the operation or the business rather will cease to function properly. For the employees that come to work, ready to work, it is simply unfair.
As for the handful or two of employees that do not come to work ready and willing, it can as I stated above have a clear impact on the rest of the employees.
The most difficult part of the job is this sheer fact, with the occasional rude customer that you have to learn how to relate to.
While rude customers can be expected at any business, it is up to the both the managers and the employees to work together to formulate strategies to move past this and instead focus on what will in fact what is lucrative to the company which is their business and loyalty.
With all of this said, at the end of the day in my individual opinion I can roll down my sleeves and state the old adage, "All in a days work".
Fast-paced and Requires Initiative
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 1, 2014
I arrive to work usually 30-45 minutes before we open to set up the bar for the day, which entails cutting fruit, stocking mixes and beer and liquor. I also have to take responsibility for a cash till and make sure it's properly balanced. Next, I prepare condiments, salads, and any other items I will need for takeout orders. Once work starts, I help any guests that come to the bar, servers who need any drinks made behind the bar, and deal with any and all incoming telephone calls to the restaurant. I also cash out servers when they leave after their shift is finished. I learned a lot from this job. Most importantly, I learned how to try my best to create a positive experience for guests and coworkers, no matter the mood I'm in, which sounds like common sense, but is truly something that requires practice for all people, especially in highly stressful situations. The hardest part of my job is just trying to stay organized and calm whenever I have a large amount of tasks at hand to complete. The duties required by my position within our company is substantially more than most other positions in the restaurant, save for management. That it is so challenging at times, is also what makes it the most rewarding. Even though it's not glorified, I'm proud that my managers have faith in me to put me in a position where I have many responsibilities and still succeed.
Pros
my income is mostly dependent on how well i do
Cons
short or no breaks, consistently having as many as five or more tasks to complete simultaneously
Service Professional
Service Professional/Ast to Mgt (Current Employee) –  ClarksvilleNovember 25, 2014
If it weren't for the wonderful people I work for, I would not recommend this job. The only reason working in a restaurant makes any sense is because you anticipate it being temporary. First and foremost there is a big difference between management and hourly employees. Managers have no work life balance, they typically work 50+ hours a week, including weekends and holidays. This can be mitigated by a good management team that is willing to work with each other and swap shifts, but even then the pay is average. Typical managers make between 38-45K a year, without bonuses. WITH bonuses they typically make about 45-50K a year. Their benefits are pretty good admittedly. Hourly employees will work like dogs, plain and simple. Benefits are non existent unless you average over 30 hours a week. It's good to be a server if you're in school, its quick cash and they'll work with your school schedule. Service professionals are the intermediary between hourly positions and the managers. They are the highest paid hourly employees but they take on leadership roles. You'll help with food counts, pre-meal temp checks, help manage and flex labor throughout the day, and resolve guest complaints. You maintain the standards and get the expectations of the managers done through the team. A service professional is about the only hourly job with having.
Pros
good hourly rate, less than 40 hrs a week, more professional position.
Cons
benefits suck, can be boring if not busy.
It was a great experience, but its time to move on.
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILNovember 18, 2013
I wish I could be extremely happy about this job, nonetheless I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to show the establishments management staff that I can learn just about anything if I apply myself. Well, its safe to say that I applied myself, but I am no longer content with the return investment for my hard work. I work full-time with little to no medical benefits. There is very little chance of advancement due to the already saturated list of people who have been there much longer then I. This creates a working environment built on favoritism, and the people who work really hard are being overshadowed by the workers who brown nose and do much less then they say they do. The hardest part of my job is the constant cleaning-up of other workers tables. The lazy people are reaping the most benefits, and I have had enough of it. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to interact with various people from many cultures and backgrounds. I like that I get to speak to people all the time, and I treat them as if they were a part of my family because of my tendency to make any person feel welcome and at home. My goal is to create such a great unique experience, tailored specifically to each guests needs so that they can feel very comfortable around me at all times.
Pros
50% off meals when working, 25% off meals when not.
Cons
short breaks, lazy workers, unmotivated staff, low pay.
Red Lobster Service Manager
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WV and Columbus, OhioJuly 11, 2013
To start off my day at work I would come in and greet my entire crew, then I would count all the food and then count all the cash registers and safes to make sure the correct amount was in there for shift change. Before I decided to part ways with Red Lobster a new General Manager was transferred to the restaurant and she didn't uphold standards or work the quality or pace that I was used to. Also she didn't provide good direction or feedback and it wasn't a place that I was proud and comfortable to work at. Also my quality of life suffered because I worked up to 60 hours a week and and was getting paid for a 40 hour salary. I learned so much working with Red Lobster, I am servesafe certified and also have a food handler's card. I worked for the company for 4 years and I was promoted from within. I loved all my employees and gave them direction but did it with respect. I Learned how to take constructive criticism and learn from my mistakes. I am a dedicated and hard worker. The hardest part of my job was sometimes dealing with the guests because the restaurant that I was in wasn't in the best of neighborhoods, but you have to treat every guest/customer with respect and solve the problems to the best of your abilities. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know a lot of people and learning new things everyday.
Pros
manager meals
Cons
no holidays, only 1 personal day per year, over hours a week
Overstaffed, somewhat fun, high stress workplace
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Dublin, GASeptember 8, 2015
Pay is only $2.13 per hour plus tips...often times people will walk out without tipping....they took away automatic gratuity. Employees get along for the most part. Management could have better understanding. Often times employees are encouraged to work through any sickness or surgery even when trying to call in. Most enjoyable part is employee meal discount, con is hours fluctuate due to staffing being too high or too low. Another con is your weekly pay fluctuates....its never consistent. So when you try to go to a car lot etc. they always say your income is not stable enough, regardless of how many years you've been with the company. Always good days and bad days....never know what to expect when coming to work. One last con is allowing people to come in to sit down and eat 30 seconds till closing without telling them what time the actual kitchen is suppose to close, having the servers serve bread that is hard etc...and making salads after everything in the kitchen has been put up and cleaned...causing everyone to purposely stay longer and re clean everything, when the whole thing could have been avoided by encouraging the guest to come a little bit earlier next time and offering them a to go order instead of a last minute sit down meal extra 2 hours) after close.
Pros
employee meal discount
Cons
letting people in right before closing time.unstable pay.unstable hours