Red Lobster Employee Reviews

Found 2,476 reviews matching the search
Lively work place best for young occupational oriented adults
Server (Current Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYJanuary 1, 2017
Red Lobster is a lively work environment with excellent potential of advancement as long as you can meet the hourly requirements to complete management training and then continue meeting those requirements once promoted. The management team is extremely accommodating to scheduling requests and nurture those with an interest to advance. However, the restaurant industry is very demanding and is not always best for job security. The requirements are best for young adults without families of their own due to the long hours. There is no such thing as a break. Those with other responsibilities outside of work may find it difficult to balance work and home life. Also, because the position is better for younger adults, at times there are issues with coworker behavior and interpersonal relationships. Not everyone will follow the handbook and not everyone is respectful to each other. There are some currently working as a server that really should not be due to their lack of communication and customer service skills.
Pros
lively, fun, room for advancement
Cons
difficult customers and coworkers, physically demanding, based on customer traffic
Family Friendly and Great Team
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Daily I begin by going over the list from the previous week, setting priorities. I review the progress of existing projects, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the following week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate to tasks that move projects forward, so I make habits out of organizational tasks for speed.

Time Management is essential for upcoming promotional execution.

Having a great team of co-workers and staff make the business successful.

Technology is lacking in the organization which is challenging.

The customers is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Too many promotions
Fun place to start a productive career in management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Friday's as evidenced by the 7 years I spent ascending the company's professional ladder. Hit a roadblock with salary and career advancement when I was promoted to manager. Small franchise with limited resources and almost no growth potential once at the management level propelled a change and Red Lobster actively recruited me filling that need. I am very happy and thankful with Friday's role with my professional and personal growth.
Fun, fast paced environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 5, 2017
Red Lobster was a very fast paced, motivating place to work. I enjoyed the customers and the other employees I had the pleasure of working with. It taught me great patience and people skills. The management was friendly, fair and always easy to find. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and intense work load. I worked a lot of double shifts and would be exhausted when I was at home. I made a nice living while I was working there because of the long hours and popularity of the establishment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the other employees and how much fun we had.
Pros
Great earning potential and great hours if you need them.
Cons
Hard work and many hours spent on my feet. Was stressful most of the time.
Fun environment but bad management
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INOctober 3, 2016
I loved my job until my restaurant just recently went under new management early this year. It was a fun and relaxed environment where managers actually encouraged me to want to do a good job. The new management just condescends its employees and constantly criticizes them instead of being constructive and making the employee feel wanted. Co-workers easily become family to you. There are really nice people to meet and become close to.
Pros
Employee discounts, 6 month reviews and raises
Cons
No breaks, no benefits for part-time employees
F-up'S and retards
Night time prep-cook (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 5, 2016
I started my relationship at Red Lobster with the best intentions to work hard and to do the best that I can following the instructions of the managers gave me but soon realized that being a little more intelligent and working hard got me nowhere being as the crew punish me for having those qualities. The behavior of my co-workers was terrible they were literally 40 year old adolescents and the worst part was that the management would make excuses for their poor Behavior. I would never recommend anybody work there and wouldn't never recommend anybody eaten there either those places are nasty and there's scampi sauce everywhere it's disgusting I give Red Lobster Two Thumbs way down!!!!!!!
Pros
Headache and an STD
Cons
hardly any hours
Fun, fast paced job
Server (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CADecember 8, 2016
I like working for this company. They're always coming up with creative ways to encourage our new promotional items like with contests and more. Management is pretty easy going as long as you do your job and keep guests happy. Teamwork between coworkers is great during the day, a little more fast paced during the night shifts. Still, everyone does their best to help everyone. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry customers or people who don't tip and not letting that negatively impact your day. The most enjoyable thing everyday is meeting new guests and having a good time with my coworkers.
Pros
discount dinners, tips, holiday parties, fun coworkers
Cons
Poor tippers, no gratuity for large parties
They don't do anything for you.
Service Professional and Server (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYDecember 13, 2016
Fired me for guest walking off on a bill over something I have no control over. Ive worked there 5 Years, Would love to work together with my collegues because we always made it a fun night even on our worst nights.I learned I couldn't trust corporate and the way they operated especially after me trying to get into management for a year and saw it wasn't going anywhere and how they were operating. The hardest part about work was when the kitchen would just crash. We would run out of a certain food. Sometimes we would run out of utensils and plates that we would beg the dishwasher to rinse the dirty ones quickly to get back to our guests.
Good place to work…if you want to risk not being able to pay your bills
Baker (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJanuary 17, 2017
Basically it goes like this. The management sucks… at scheduling. It's all based on promotions that are going on. For instance one week I would get 34 hours. The next I wouldn't even top 15-20. Yes okay they pay $10 an hour... so what. The amount of money you make does not matter if your only getting so many hours a week. You must be super fast or get out. I was the scheduled baker and because of my speed I was always shifted to another job. Dishes. I get that my speed may have been slow or so it seemed but in all honesty it is IMPOSSIBLE to stay up on the bread. It takes 8 minutes to make 5 trays of 20 and when you have a bunch of servers taking it for their tables 100 biscuits will only last about 3-4 minutes. Logically it is not possible to stay up bread and instead of management realizing this they shift you off to another job thinking someone else can do it better. Let me tell you the feeling I got from walking out was like taking ecstasy.
Pros
$10 an hour
Cons
Burns and cuts all over, terrible hours, terrible servers, bad af scheduling.
Fast paced work environment.
Head of House Cook (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDFebruary 15, 2017
They have an amazing staff that is well versed in training their new employees. Team members grow strong connections in communication. The managers treat the employees well and show their genuine concern. They have programs to help pay for College through the company as well as hardship grants for employees goingthrough financial hardship. I loved this job. My bosses were great people to work for and always had time to talk about anything I had questions or concerns about.
Pros
free food, benefits, financial help with college. advancement opportunities
Great place to work.
Server (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 24, 2017
Red Lobster is a great experience. I interact with guest 90% of the time and have a great time doing so. A typical day would include taking care of guest, and providing everything they need to make sure they have a top quality experience. I learned that guest experience is very important. The people I work with are fun and do everything they can to help out. The hardest part is when it gets busy and all the tables are requesting something, but on the opposite end it is enjoyable to be able to put a smile on their face.
Pros
Great management, great staff.
Cons
No benefits, no overtime.
One of my favorite jobs!
Server (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSFebruary 7, 2017
The cooks, servers, cleaners, bussers, and management are absolutely amazing. Whenever I needed help, someone always had a helping hand. They taught me how to be a team player and how to sell our new and seasonal promotions. Weekends were hectic and stressful for EVERYONE, so the hardest part was keeping up with tables while still helping other servers with their tables. The most enjoyable part was when it was the perfect amount of business to where the kitchen and staff can keep a good pace which meant good money.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
can't sit down for a second
Excellent, hardworking teammates
Server (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJuly 22, 2016
Work could be stressful and sometimes difficult to please management. Goals and expectations were rarely consistent. Promotional products changed frequently which would require a great deal of memorization (to effectively know the menu). Computers and other technologies have not been updated in the past decade. Management very rarely supported their staff in a positive way, more often than not they would disagree with each other on discipline and expectations. Management team members would rather frequently eat restaurant food with or near guests during service hours. General staff members are usually very hardworking and optimistic. The most enjoyable part of the job would possibly be the amount of culture one is instantly exposed to walking in the door.
Pros
Discounted employee meals, Free management meals
Cons
Inconsistent goals and expectations
There is room for improvement
Server (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYDecember 17, 2016
The company is not perfect: there are little efforts made to aid in the protection of the environment, or the allocation of precious resources. There are no recycling facilities and consumers are encouraged to gorge themselves on shrimp during the "endless shrimp" promotion.

Other than that, the company is not terrible. It's your typical chain restaurant in many ways. Co-workers are great, and the management team is competent and flexible.
Pros
Self-motivated earning
Cons
Very little ability to influence change where needed
A well ran company with qualified management and staff.
Bartender/Server/Host (Current Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNFebruary 23, 2017
I've been an employ with Red Lobster for 9.5 years and have worked at 3 Tennessee locations. Most of my experience at all 3 have been very positive. Having started as a teenager, Red Lobster played a large role in culminating me into a functional member of society. It taught me invaluable social skills that can be applied anywhere, not just in the service industry.
Pros
50% off all menu items on breaks and 25% off for you and your party when you come in off days.
Cons
No pay raises in tip based jobs.
It was great stepping stone.
Server, Host, Pantry, AC (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 16, 2017
It was a stepping stone into the hospitality industry and I have learned a lot from them. I respect how they motivate teamwork and are very flexible with your time schedule. A regular day at work would be mostly communication between host and line cooks to better ensure a steady shift hence why management made sure the FOH and BOH was always properly in direct understanding of each other.
Pros
50% of lunch during break, 401k, health benefits
Cons
the breaks tend to be short, sometimes we cant even take a break.
Management needs to get it together
Server (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILFebruary 3, 2017
Managers are easily replaced there. They lack professionalism. Management plays favoritism. There is always outside drama involve with other servers. Making it difficult to work. It's a good start to learn how to serve but red lobster is definitely a company that is worry about profit than their employees. And the quality of food went down too
Pros
Good stepping stone into the service industry
Cons
Lack of professionalism, favoritism, long hours
Productive and Fun Workplace
Server, Bartender, and finally Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTFebruary 1, 2017
Red Lobster is a fantastic place to work. The coworkers are always nice, and the guests love coming there. The management is always willing to help you if you need it. The most enjoyable part of my job is creating a great guest experience. I learned the value of teamwork during my time here.
Pros
Fun, Productive, Enjoyable
Cons
Salary
typical restaurant life
preperation cook (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 2, 2016
they would require you to do a prep list that should be for 3 employees to complete in a timely manner which is the way it was when i started, however corporate decided to make cut backs and we went down to 1 which was most to impossible most days, for a woman in her 40s it was too hard for me, management at this store and one other i worked in in the past most of them are very unprofessional and interact with servers in a way that shouldnt be
benefits
Cons
work overload
A great work staff and environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 14, 2017
Every shift at work was fast paced and busy, I enjoyed learning new things about our guests everyday. Management was great, always there when a guest or I needed them for anything. My co-workers made the long hours go by fast, we helped each other out and we worked hard as a team. This job was fairly easy and did not have any "hard" parts. The most enjoyable part was the great environment of the staff and restaurant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Red Lobster. Our community is ready to answer.