Graphic Designer, UI/UX
At Red Nova Labs we follow a simple but valuable premise when designing web and mobile products: Focus on the user and all else will follow. We are a multi-disciplinary team of designers, copywriters, developers and product managers who collaborate closely with each other to create innovative, usable, great-looking products that focus on user activities. We’re seeking a competent, creative graphic designer and UI/UX specialist to join our team. You’ll need to be bright, imaginative, capable, communicative and – most importantly – flexible in order to thrive here.
As a designer on our team you will produce best-in-breed designs and user experiences for various digital properties and projects, including web, mobile, social, video and print. Your work will involve a wide array of tasks, from customizing simple one-page web templates, to inventing elegant user interfaces for complex business management software. You’ll create, implement, and/or maintain our identity and message in cooperation with the Creative Director as well as other departments—collaborating with a variety of cross-discipline members to define, produce and review digital assets for multiple clients and external partners. You must be incredibly well organized, communicative, results-driven and attentive to detail—in order to (1) successfully contribute to multiple projects simultaneously, (b) keep abreast of innovative design trends and technologies, and (c) consults with client organizations to determine visual requirements that support their business goals. As required you will also manage outside vendors (contractors, freelancers, and/or agencies).
How to Apply:
This is a full-time position in the Kansas City area, compensated at market competitive rates, and includes full benefits and 401(k). This is a demanding job and the salary is commensurate. Candidates must be available to interview in-person at Red Nova Labs’ Westwood headquarters. This role is based in Westwood and reports alongside the Creative Director to the CMO. Send resumes to dmiller(at)rednovalabs.com. Include a letter of intro telling me what makes you tick, your salary expectations, and links to work history and other portfolio items.
- Internet: web and email design including headers, buttons, backgrounds, iconography, typography
- Mobile: design in iOS, Android, and/or mobile web)
- Production: create logos, microsites, and banners from existing assets
- Print: physical collateral including folders, booklets, flyers, stickers, banners, bags, shirts, etc.
- Tech: slice and annotate designs for use by tech team in development
- Analytics: use quantitative behavioral data to drive design decisions
- UX/UI: design software products and assets from scratch using strong UX/UI insight
- Consulting: exhibit strong consultative/preso skills including the ability to successfully sell creative ideas
- Collaboration: foster strong working relationships with team members and serve as a resource to peers
- Mentorship: educate team members regarding new discoveries, design standards and guidelines
- Networking: represent the company at various events and functions as necessary
- BA/BS in design or related field (In lieu of degree, 4 years’ relevant work experience)
- 3 years interactive design experience
- Knowledge of web site structure and functionality including HTML/CSS
- Solid knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Fireworks (After Effects a plus)
- Strong design style, including creative design solutions within the constraints of the Internet
- Strong conceptual skills, including online software concepts and online experience concepts
- Familiarity with user experience best practices with regard to web, mobile and responsive design
- Familiarity with Internet design best practices with regard to compatibility, accessibility, loading, etc.
- Familiarity with web accessibility, maintainability, and organic search optimization
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build good work and client relationships
- Proven ability to act as a leader in communicating conceptual/creative ideas and design rationale
- Self-motivated to prioritize and manage work load and meet critical project milestones and deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen
- A passion for trends in web and mobile design
- Must be enthusiastic, dedicated, and able to meet tight deadlines
- Ping pong skills a plus
RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT A LINK TO A PORTFOLIO OR INCLUDED EXAMPLES.
About Red Nova Labs
We are a cloud and mobile software think-tank, with a horizontal interest in tech business development and startup partnerships/investments in Kansas City. Our core focus since we were founded in 2009 has been developing marketing and business management solutions for vertical markets—particularly the self storage industry. It may not seem glamorous, but glamour is relative; we find glamour in being profitable for ourselves and our self storage clients/partners. We want people on team who have fun and take pride in their work, regardless of what that work entails. Contented, respected and upwardly-mobile is the janitor who takes pride in a clean floor. How about you?