Red Robin Employee Reviews

Found 1,294 reviews matching the search
It is what you make of it, really.
Shift Manager/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 10, 2016
Typical restaurant job. Very fun and enjoyable staff, you make a lot of lasting friendships. Compensation is what you make of it, you can work as little of as much as you want, making work/life balance easy. I have a lot of fun when things run smoothly however, management can be slow to take action so things rarely run smoothly. There's plenty of room for advancement if you work hard and perform well in your current position.
Pros
Flexibility, pay, culture
Cons
management
Good for the right person
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAFebruary 16, 2017
RR is not for everyone. Opportunities are there if you are willing to sacrifice the time and produce to expected levels. Advancement also depends on who you know more so than what you accomplish.

This company is perfect for a young, energetic manager looking to find fundamental experience to use in future positions.

The overall workplace culture was about a 6 out of 10.
Pros
Potential advancement
Cons
Very political management culture
Good company to work for
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COFebruary 15, 2017
Great company culture, very helpful and nice people. Great work life balance and benefits were good. Workload was good. Only down fall might be the upper management and high turnover with upper level executives. Happy work environment overall though.
Pros
Worklife balance, flex fridays, free food
Cons
Upper management not communicating
Red Robin isn't just a place to work, but a place to have fun as well.
Server (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 16, 2017
A typical day for me at red robin is to open them big doors and know that i'm going to be greeted with a smile..There is so much happiness and joy in that restaurant and its simply because of the employees. that is why i have not been able to leave my red robin team. i have not fount another staff that is as great as they are. i learn something new everyday. weather its a fact of politics or just a fact about life. either way its great.My managers have known me for almost 3 years now in april. they have seen me at my best and my worst and they still are very great to me. My co-workers are my family, i don't know what I would do without them. The hardest part of the job honestly is not letting yourself get to caught up in what is and reminding yourself that .. its just a job. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to interact with new people who are the guest and make a connection with them, and also being able to have such great employees to connect with.
Pros
Fast cash
Cons
health benefits
Greedy Corporation That Doesn't Care about its Employees
Server (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 13, 2017
Red Robin used to be a great place to work but it has really gone downhill in the last few months. New corporate changes have been implemented that put an extreme amount of sales and performance pressure on servers. You must achieve a 72% promoter score (9s and 10s only on the guest surveys) or else they will cut your hours significantly. You are judged on the number of beverages, appetizers, and desserts you sell. Not meeting quota? They cut your hours. Don't ask your table if they're a rewards member? Fired on the spot. They have also recently started secret shops where if the server does not achieve a passing score, they are instantly fired.

A company shouldn't have to cause fear in their employees in order to achieve company benchmarks. Instead of positive encouragement, training, and one-on-one coaching, Red Robin has resorted to fear and intimidation in order to reach sales standards. Red Robin only cares about their bottom line, and couldn't care less if their employees have to resort to two or three jobs to make ends meet. Many servers are worried about these new changes at my store.

I can only see this strategy ending poorly for Red Robin.
Pros
Good tips, scheduling flexibility, work/life balance
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, high pressure sales goals
Has it's ups and downs
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Foxborough, MADecember 26, 2016
A typical day of work is me basically taking the brunt of everyone's issues and having to deal with them and even if I deal with them resulting in a favorable outcome I still get picked at and told why it wasn't good enough. I've been told a bunch of times about working on a raise or working on giving me some more responsibilities with in the restaurant or potentially even moving positions but it always falls through. The people I have meet because of this jobs have made it worth it, but for the amount of issues people place blame on me for or expect me to do even though it's not part of my job - I'd pass on RR again.
Worked for RR for 8 years
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 2, 2017
Red Robin is a fantastic company to work for. It is restaurant so the work life balance is difficult and once in management you did take your day home with you. Its the nature of the beast in the field. I left only because I needed to no longer work nights and weekends.
However, during my 8 years I worked with some amazing people who cared about investing in me and my development. RR pays well and does their best to take care of all team members on all levels.
Pros
good pay, superiors that care at every level
Cons
you work nights, holidays and weekends.
Better management would go a long way . . .
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXOctober 1, 2016
Have worked at multiple locations and store management simply isn't up to par. I do like some of the higher level managers, but their inability to train or replace the subpar store managers doesn't motivate me to want to advance myself. Started out as a franchise employee, was to receive health benefits after a year. The franchise sold to corporate, and corporate failed to recognize seniority and honor the time already spent as an employee: we all started over again. Very poorly done.
Pros
Some corporate discounts, employee meal program, benefits for hourly employees after one year
Cons
Poor management, inconsistent scheduling, poor computer systems in administration
Productive challenging fun environment
Server and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 18, 2017
At the start of my shift I make sure I am aware of anything we are out of so I can inform the guests as they are seated at my table. I then clean up my section of tables by wiping down the chairs/booths and restock and condiments of the table. As I am seated I am required to hit a 30 second great, two minute drink return (with a four minute bar drink return), with that in mind I am able to work on a time limit and deliver a quick service. I get to engage with new people everyday, and some regulars. So I have to be able to create small talk and also engage with a regular and become aware of the conversations we had prior. I love the people I work with, I am very easy to get along with, I think I choose a career where the people are the same. The hardest part of the job is managing seperate tables, but knowing the needs of each. Also being able to wipe your slate clean to treat each table with the same enthusiasm and efficiency as previous tables. Another thing would be knowing you are doing well without always getting the reassurance.
Pros
communicating with new guests, I have been able to gain knowledge and give knowledge to tables.
Cons
Not many breaks or a secure pay, no benefits.
Fun place to work while I was there, but left just in time
Kitchen Manager and FOH Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WANovember 1, 2016
The culture used to be so people focused, then it became profit driven. Red Robin struggled to balance the two and offer real career advancement which is why I left.
Pros
Free food, great people
Cons
Work life balance (70+ hours/week was typical)

Want to know more about Red Robin?

Ask a question
Quality experience for advancement in the business
Junior Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 3, 2016
Leading my staff of individuals. Working with my staff was always pleasurable times to look forward to. However, of good reasoning, not everyone was the same, and sometimes you could run into some hectic situations in this business due to stressful moments on the job. Being a part of management was a favorable responsibility, which allowed me the opportunity to shine when the opportunity did present itself. Sometimes, in the food industry, especially fast foods. Customers could be unruly at times, making it hard for staff to perform their duties, but still the customer was right.
Pros
Company advancement, and quality relationships among my peer workers
Cons
Not being able to please every customer no matter how hard you try.
Great Place to Work
Server (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXFebruary 16, 2017
Red Robin is an ideal place for a college student or young professional to work. It's culture is fantastic and the company makes you feel like part of a real team. The management is consistently helping and is always willing to get down and do the grunt work. The location I was employed by was very busy and provided a fast paced and enriching environment.
Pros
Flexible hours
Life long friends
Server (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 12, 2016
I absolutely loved working here besides the fact that there is some really rude people. Management is good, just like everywhere, there is some managers nobody likes but that manager made a really good change. The company itself is great. Coworkers are great and just as long as you work hard, you can make money.
Pros
Everyone is great
Cons
no body really likes the manager until he changed himself.
Fun, but very stressful at times,
Server, Caterer, and Host (Current Employee) –  Trevose, PASeptember 16, 2016
Working for Red Robin has its pros and cons. You have the opportunity to meet some amazing guest who mostly are from the area, but some have been to amazing places and experiences. Unfortunately the management team and company are very selfish and make it hard to enjoy your job. Co-workers and Guest are the best part about the job, but the company itself could use a lot of work for improvement on how to treat their employees
Pros
Guest
Cons
Short breaks, No benefits, Below minium wage, Treated unfairly by management
Enjoyed working with employee's but not the best upper Management!
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDDecember 13, 2016
When I started with Red Robin the hiring and training process was great. Once I got into the store I was going to be managing, I found out what I was really in for. This store needed a lot of help. The GM was worthless and I had to learn a lot on my own. The staff was great they were the only thing that kept me there as long as I was. In the 3 years I was there I went through 7 assistant managers and 3 GM's. At times I was the only manager that was there and some weeks were 90 hours. I lived, slept, breathed Red Robin. The pay was good but not for the extensive overworking I had to put up with. I am sure not all stores are like this so I have nothing bad to say about the concept just how things ran at the store I was at.
Pros
Great Staff, Great food, Training, and Culture
Cons
No work / life balance AT ALL!
A friendly energetic environment that is fast paced with awesome guests.
GM-Annette Marosevich (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89149January 16, 2017
This has been my first and most dependable job. Learned all about how restaurants work and run. The environment is friendly and understanding of employees and guests. Always have a flexible schedule with no restrictions on time off. Overall decent place to work at. The problem with working with this company is very minimal growth and knowledge. Had to learn most drinks, serving techniques, communication skills on my own and bring my knowledge to the restaurant. Also no possibility of medical benefits.
Pros
Meet a lot of new people. Learned everything I know about the service industry.
Cons
no benefit eligibility or any more professional growth.
Alright place to work
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2016
Need to work on the advancement of team and the core value that are stated in handbook compensation for management could be better
Fun and inviting atmosphere to work in
Server (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 23, 2017
I have worked at a few different restaurants and Red Robin has honestly been great. The management staff is great. They listen to all concerns and work with you to the best of their ability. We have fun while providing great service to our guests.
Pros
half off on a shift meal/ sometimes free meals
Cons
no benefits
Extremely fast-paced but fun work staff.
Floater and Head Saute Chef (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 19, 2017
Management needs retraining. As with some other cooking jobs, there is a serious lack of personal creativity. But the recipes are easy to learn and the work keeps you busy and active.
Pros
Good work staff, management is willing to work with you.
Cons
Lack of benefits, short-tempered manager.
Fun and Faced Paced Environment
Bar/Training Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CADecember 27, 2016
Culture is all about people. They hire great people to work for and with! Only down side is the work life balance, if your going to be a good manager this job will consume your life!
Pros
People, Culture, Food, and FUN
Cons
Worklife balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Red Robin. Our community is ready to answer.