Redfin Employee Reviews

Horrible Management and Inconsistent Agents
Associate Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2017
Redfin has a good business model just poor people executing it. Management is poor to non-existent and their is a huge disparity in culture between the agents and associate agents. Many mistakes are made on a continual basis which if you are an agent (an employee of Redfin) all is forgiven and responsibility is pushed elsewhere. If you are an associate agent (a contractor) you are guilty of anything an agent deems in their own mind as wrong. No chance to debate or make a case. You are wrong, say sorry I will do better and move on. Even if they attack your character on a personal level and deem you a liar or irresponsible without proof or an investigation. Stand up for yourself and your contract is immediately ended. Listing agents have inaccurate listings that when pointed out do not correct. (Ethics violation). Instructions for AA's are missing or incorrect and the expectation from agent to agent various tremendously. Some want more, some less. It is not the Redfin way but the way of that particular agent. The rules are continual moving target.

I can go on and on with examples so much so that a book is not too far off on how poorly managed this company is.
Pros
Meet new people everyday. Set my own hours.
Cons
No support. No advocates. If you are not a Redfin employee you are a lower life form.
Current truth
Lead Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
The Associate agent role is amazing. Paid for touring, hosting open houses and attending inspections. Easy $50k-$60k with an open calendar.
No responsibility for follow up with client just send over tour info to lead agent.

Awesome CRM that improves monthly. The technology is very user friendly and absolutely amazing.
As a Lead Agent....
This company lets you be a Realtor, where competitors take take take. This is a FULL time career. Many many clients, many many deals. No farming clients.

With the average agent completing average of 36 deals a year you have the ability to learn faster than the competition.

Once you have a small amount of experience you get a transaction coordinator to help you with the volume while you maintain your relationship. Most lead agents earning $85k-$130k yearly.

Work life balance is very difficult. Some people can manage and some people can't. Your only in the office 2 times monthly, most work is from home or on the field.

Redfin philosophy really is honest and for the customer.
Pros
The office is amazing, Mileage reimbursement. Small salary. Ok bonuses. Free leads. Awesome insurance
Cons
Very busy and stressful work weeks.
Lots of Flexibility as an AA
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 4, 2017
Great part-time job and a lot of flexibility. The Dallas-Fort Worth team really is a good one, probably one of the better ones, and that goes a long way, based on what I see from reviews. I really don't have any complaints. Management? Great. Other agents we work with? Great. I truly believe the Redfin model is the way Real Estate should be. AA's (Associate Agents) don't work on commission. We get paid a flat fee for everything we do and I think we are paid fairly.
Pros
Flexibility. Management.
Cons
Last minute unpaid showing cancellations
Changing culture
Transaction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 24, 2017
The culture of Redfin changed dramatically in a very short time. There seems to be discrepancies from Manager to Manager as related to office policy and file management protocol.
Pros
benfits
Cons
Lack of direction with management
Tour Coordinator
TOUR COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2017
I worked at the Hub in Chicago for a demanding and unappreciative west coast market. I quit a higher paying job to take this with the hopes that I would like it more than what I was doing and I don't regret that decision. This was a great please to work! Pay is decent, but that is offset by the great benefits at a low cost to employees. Employees here feel valued and management is always willing to take suggestions on how to improve processes. Best job I have ever had!
Great Place to Grow!
Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 15, 2017
I am part of the Recruiting organization out of the Seattle HQ, and here's the truth:
1.) Things change fast, and you have to be adaptable and resilient. If you can roll with the punches, think at scale, keep the customer experience front and center, and roll-up your sleeves to execute strategy you'll experience career growth like nowhere else.
2.) If you get easily stressed out by ambiguity or change, this is not the company for you.
3.) Recruiting leadership has been hit/miss at times, but the new team gets it and this is the most excited I've been since joining Redfin.

The best parts of working at Redfin include the people, the ability to impact change and the benefits.

The hardest parts of working at Redfin include being at the whim of a turbulent real estate market and having to fight for resources sometimes makes it hard to get things done.
Pros
Growth, Benefits, Food/Drinks
Cons
Fast-paced, Ever changing, Hard to get things done
Do not buy into the hype. They do not care about their employees.
Senior Agent (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLMarch 15, 2017
I worked for Redfin for two and a half years. First as a transaction / hybrid coordinator then as a senior agent in the field. The concept is amazing but the reality will drown you. As a licensed broker who has over a decade of experience my base salary was $20,000 after "bonuses" paid (only after a glowing review from the client) my W-2 showed $42,000 income. Keep in mind I closed over $7 million dollars in real estate transactions last year. If you can't close minimum of 3 transactions in a given month you are promptly let go for poor performance. With no cushion or savings because again top pay was 42k in the year. Your expected to have your schedule open for tours 7 days a week. Ready to meet a new customer not vetted not approved within a 3 hour window. Vacation is offered but is never approved. And in my market we were required to span over 300 Mile radius covering 4 counties. You are paid for each tour but it's $35 and again you're expected to drive 3 counties away at no notice just to be stood up. You will need to have knowledge of that area as well. Because your clients will review per tour and they will not appreciate an agent who is not knowledgeable. Please please please if you are considering joining this company be ready to give away all of your commission and time and learn from my experience. I've never written a review before but I'm passionate about getting this out there. Don't believe their hype. Thank you for reading and considering.
Pros
Paid salary. Health insurance provided. Reimbursements. Team approach
Cons
Pay. Surveys. Management. Territory covered. Lack of professionalism
Love the flexibility and the opportunity
Team Lead/Agent (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 14, 2017
Redfin was like a dream come true for me being new in the real estate industry I love the base salary, the flexibility and th me fact that I'm BUSY. The technology and training is amaizing. The benefits are a huge bonus for us Realtors.
Pros
Benefits, salary, technology, opportunity for advancement
Cons
If you are opening a market it's slow at first but brace yourself :)
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 8, 2017
Redfin is an incredible company to work for. Redfin offers employees a positive work environment with a bustling energy, encouraging workers to do their best. Employees do need to hold their own, look for their own resources at time and think outside of the box to get things done-employees have the power to make great change.

One big negative was the job uncertainty. During my time there an entire department was cut but, companies are always transitioning.
Pros
Very positive and bright environment, catered lunches, good benefits, everyone works hard
Cons
work life balance can be hard-be ready to work, job uncertainty, responsible for finding your own resources, lack of project/program managers
Easy money
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2017
You get what you give. Work hard and you'll make money. It's pretty easy and so laid-back. You'll mainly work late afternoon, evening and weekend hours, which is great for late risers. It is more like a part-time gig, but pays a heck of a lot more than some full-time positions. Makes you feel good to work for a client-first organization, that actually stands by their mantra.
Pros
Fun, flexible, low stress
Cons
Contract position without benefits
Awesome Company
Senior Buyer'sLead Agent (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 26, 2017
I am a lead agent for Redfin and I love it! I wouldn't do real estate the "other" way ever again. The leads are fantastic and you have so many clients great clients.
Pros
Free lunches, work from home, flexible schedule
Thankless job
Associate agent (Current Employee) –  SeattleFebruary 6, 2017
The demand for the Associate agents varies greatly during the year. It’s feast or famine. If you want to make money, then you need availability during the weekends and weekday evenings when the clients want to tour. Which is great for people that want a flexible par time schedule. The local management also hires a lot of associates so they enough people available during the week. How it works is the events are first given to the deal writing agents, and any events they can’t do will be given to us. We mainly do tours, help out at the open houses and specialized inspections. There will not always be enough work to keep everyone busy so expect some downtime.

The associates are paid a fixed amount per event. We are independent contractors with no benefits or perks though expenses are tax deductible. Tour pay starts off well for the first home but the pay for each additional home is minimal. The company recently cut Associates pay across the board which makes doing some events less desirable. One cannot pick which events you want to do. This is a car dependent job, if you don’t like driving, then this job is not for you. If the driving is too much you can limit the areas that you cover but this will affect how much work you will receive.

There are a lot of unpaid hours with this job. Event pay doesn’t compensate for all the time it takes to setup appointments, rescheduling events with the clients, or researching the properties on the tour. Clients will expect you to be knowledgeable about the properties and locations. If you come off as unprepared they will slam you
  more... in a review. This makes us spend more time preparing for tours.

Another dislike is the clients frequently do not show up to confirmed appointments or will cancel at that last minute which is bad if you have driven over an hour to a property. The cancellation pay is less than what the event would have paid. Clients will also make constant changes to their tours which makes it a hassle to schedule the homes with the listing agents. At least if a client does it excessively management will ban them from using Redfin's services.

Lots of independence with the position. Associates don’t interact with the full-time staff or with each other on a regular basis. We work from home which is great. There is limited training besides the first mandatory training. Associates are left to their own devices with limited oversight. Which is good and bad. After a lot of negative feedback from associates, upper management directed the local offices to have monthly meetings so we could voice questions directly to management but that never materialized. Promotions are available into full time positions though they seem to be hiring more people from outside the company.
Pros
Work from home, agent tools, website and app
Cons
lots of driving, low pay, expenses add up.
Awesome Company Changing The Game
Full Time Buyers Agent (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 27, 2017
Redfin is an awesome company. I am currently employed as a full time agent. Before coming to Redfin, I was with a traditional brokerage. Redfin is NOT traditional. Redfin is different in its core values and beliefs, always making sure their customers are first. They are open, honest, transparent, and aren't afraid to tell you if they don't know the answer. Internal HR and IT departments are always super efficient and responsive to any concerns.

With all these differences, and because they put the customer first, your pay structure is going to not be what it would under a traditional brokerage. Don't let it fool you- paid mileage, bonuses, base salary, and benefits REALLY add up.

The environment here is great. Good, upbeat attitudes and honest people make working for Redfin the best thing I've ever done.
Pros
Benefits, Happiness, and Culture
Great company for part time extra money
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 26, 2017
I have been employed with Redfin for two years now as an Associate Agent. I work on my own schedule and make a great amount of extra money. Great Team. I work for another brokerage and received little to now training and with Redfin they are there with you to make you the best. I have learned more about showing houses, open houses, inspections, etc. movement throughout the company is possible as well.
Pros
great work environment, extra pay, flexible schedule
Cons
no health benefits for part time employees
Love the independence in my role as an AA
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 18, 2017
A week in the life as a Redfin AA is fun and involves a lot of driving and interaction with potential buyers through home tours, inspections, and more.
Not a Real Estate Company
Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2016
Redfin is a technological Company first and foremost and the only folks getting paid decent wages are the Seattle Engineers and Executives. Agents are paid based on reviews and sometimes regardless of how hard you work, you're not compensated regardless of the hard work you did. They claim paid benefits and dues, however your base salary is so menial along with bonus structure, you indeed are paying for all of those benefits they claim to offer. If you are a RE Agent and want unlimited earning potential, don't work at this place. If you're a brand new Agent with no experience, Redfin is a great place to start because they'll provide enough leads to keep you stressed out and under water. You will be expected to close a minimum of 3 deals per month, so forget any kind of work life balance. If you attempt to take a day off to decompress, you will be scolded and told you're not a team player. Also, given your compensation is tied to a review by the customer, you better be prepared to miss out on quiet time, family time, or even the birth of your children, because rest assure some consumer will claim in a review that you didn't respond to them in a timely manner and your already menial bonus will be cut further. The Average bonus after taxes is $1,000.00 and your base salary will be $10,000.00 so you do the math. A traditional Agent will be paid thousands in commissions, paid right away, and paid regardless of what the consumer thinks. Redfin's business model is rigged to keep you hungry enough to stay, but too poor to leave. Redfin also promotes unqualified individuals  more... into leadership positions. I would assume this is due to the revolving door. They can't sustain quality Agents because they don't compensate them fairly.  less
Pros
paid cell phone, mileage reimbursement
Cons
Work non-stop. Cult like culture
Real Estate Heaven
Transaction Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Walking into Redfin was a dream come true! The people are experienced, helpful and friendly. The most enjoyable part of my job was the flexibility.
Recommended for new agents
associate agent (Current Employee) –  New Jersey SouthNovember 24, 2015
I don't why people have posted such negative reviews. Everyone was honest with me on our team you own your own schedule you can work as much as you want are as little as you want.

This position is perfect for a new agent you will gain a lot of experience taking clients out on tours, performing open house, doing inspections, and doing closings for the deal agents when they are not avaible. Let your manager know that you want to go fulltime. You get paid for every event and team meeting. Plus they pay for your business cards. New Jersey South is an expansion market. The marketing manager has been honest and up front. If your looking to make career change to real estate and are scared of the traditional format this is the place to start with our amazing website, technology, and putting the customer first. If you have a passion for customer service you will go far.
Pros
flexibilty, felt like part of the family, get to share ideas at meetings
Cons
non
Associate Agent
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2015
I'm not sure why these reviews are so angry! I joined Redfin as an Associate Agent this year, and couldn't be happier! An AA is an independent contractor that is paid for every single event that you perform. One of the many positives is that you make your own schedule. Do you have family obligations? Close your calendar. Want to go on vacation? Close your calendar. There is a whole team of AA's in the area available to make sure that a customer can see a house on their schedule.

It's true that the income isn't entirely reliable. It's based on the waves of business. If people aren't wanting to buy or sell, there is nothing for you to do. But I worked full time without any issue over the summer. The winter is quieter, but anyone in the business (or researched real estate before getting their license) knows that it isn't as crazy in the winter months. If you didn't save any money, go out and get a part time seasonal job. You can close your calendar!

The Redfin business model is customer centric. We are taking real estate to the next level by putting the needs and wants of our customers first instead of the possibly desperate traditional agent who is wondering where the next paycheck is coming from. Redfin is a business and pays its employees a salary and offers them a great satisfaction bonus in lieu of working for commission only. It allows an agent the opportunity to focus on the customer without struggling to survive.

Redfin isn't for everyone. Perhaps the other reviewers weren't as successful as they could have been because they didn't have the right attitude. It
  more... isn't an easy way to make money in real estate. It's a choice to be an advocate for your client in the confusing process of buying or selling real estate. You still hustle and work to build and maintain client relationships while working on their deals. You just have a whole team of people working with you to achieve the same client satisfaction goal!

Redfin is awesome. I feel like I have finally found a career and a place where all of my many years of customer service experience is put to good use! I "drank the Kool-aid" and I could not be happier!
Pros
Make your own schedule, paid for every event, opportunity for advancement, rewarding career
Cons
Independent Contractor, no benefits, work load varies with demand
You never get a day off!
Agent (Current Employee) –  SeattleAugust 8, 2015
This job is not sustainable...All Management are condescending and arrogant. They don't know their business...if the job market wasn't so tough, they wouldn't have many employees to do this job.
The surveys are ridiculous and we don't even get paid for the transaction unless we get a 9 or 10 yet Redfin still takes their commission. The Middle Managers are promoted because they are part of the clique not because they are skilled and know what they are doing. If your not in the drinking crowd and kiss up to the local Manager, you won't go anywhere. Everyone I talk to, doesn't even want to stay with the company. They are looking for other jobs.
Pros
you get a pay check every two weeks...a small one though
Cons
too many to mention.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Redfin. Our community is ready to answer.