Reed Employment Employee Reviews in United States

good
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2016
good it was a great enironment to work in. higher up management was great and helpful. Very good place to start your career.
In transistion
Director of Product and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 14, 2016
Changing leadership caused unclear and conflicting strategies. There were three CEO during my short time at Reed, along with executive management turnover which caused confusion and lack of confidence.
Good Job Security
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAMarch 22, 2016
Constant influx of work provides for a busy work environment with potential for expansion within the department. Company puts a lot of emphasis on employee development and opportunity to advance.
Mediocrity with benefits
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOSeptember 9, 2014
Upside:
- Benefits are better than average.
- Job has a solid work/life balance.

Downside:
- The company is a physical publishing company at heart. This leads to short sighted technical requirements and inadequate infrastructure support.
- Constantly changing org structure. Significant realignment of personnel and objectives every other year.
- Undefined career progression. Every developer is a Senior Engineer. There are no Junior Engineers and a handful of Principle Engineers but the work is all the same.
- Good projects go to Philly. STL gets stuck with fringe/maintenance work.
Don't Work in Call Centers, Even this one
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 26, 2014
Upon recruitment this company definitely pushes the above average pay and benefits, but little do they tell you that most of the ways you exceed expectations don't matter. In essence answer calls and attempt to avoid questions the company does not have answers to. If you are planning on having a baby, you best find another job as they expect you to request your time off the year beforeeven though you only have an estimated due date and have earned your PTO. Also if you want to use your PTO you request it and they co.tinually deny it despite the reason. Then you miss and they take your PTO and give you an occurrence. Just keep looking. Above average benefits are not worth being treated like a production machine with no support from your manager.
Pros
above average pay for a call center
Cons
be prepared to be treated like a production machine
Didn't quite fit.
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 28, 2016
Nothing bad to say. I don't think I fit there standards. I think I'm a little to free spirited for the company. Although the truck was nice and very clean.
Pros
New Truck
Cons
Uptight atmosphere
QA - Not a good place to work
Implementation analyst (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CODecember 16, 2014
I worked as an Implementation analyst at RG. I have experienced in QA. so, I applied to QA internally when they posted an opening. I was told that I am not fit for that job. Really?....
Later QA management hired one of their friends without interview.
I heard it from other teams that they promote people based on friendship.
It should be based on Experience, Talent, education and knowledge.
Pros
great co workers, standard benefits.
Cons
favoritism, politics
Great team environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Northglenn, CODecember 15, 2014
My typical day was answering phones and data entry. I learned that it was a team job. The management team was not the greatest and to some people that played favoritism. My coworkers were great and people that I am still in contact with. The hardest part on the job was making sure that you were given all the right tools to make sure you were getting the correct information. I enjoyed the hours and that benefits that were given.
Not a good place for growth.
Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2014
Very flexible about personal life.Benefits were great. Not a place to advance in a career. Management was mainly about work "social" culture VS developing career skills, not supportive of their teams, or being people of their word. If you are under the right management, you may stand a chance.
Pros
benefits, life flexible, free lunches and snacks
Cons
no career developement, bad management, social anarchy
Productive work place.
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Horsham PaFebruary 18, 2013
I learned the steps to process a patent. We were trained to enter data into our database in codes. An example is quotation marks were not put in as " they were put in as +37. The hardest part of the job was remembering all the codes but you eventually got use to it. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely learning new things. Though I was not at this position for a very long time I feel like I learned a lot from just the training alone. My co-workers were all friendly and we worked as a team to meet our weekly quotas.
Pros
great benefits, friendly people, the company worked with a lot of charities
Cons
time management was not clear.
Reed Construction Data
Office/Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CANovember 17, 2014
I would show up at work and print the calendar for productivity. We would have a quick morning meeting and decide our plan for deadlines. I would answer phones, work in production and when estimating fell behind I would complete multi-trade take-offs. My co-workers were great. Management was small and I loved being part of the team.
Pros
great co-workers, benefits and pay
Cons
i had to relocate. then office in redondo beach closed in 2004
Loved being part of the industry that promotes learning & literacy from K-12 through college and beyond.
Senior Reprint Editorial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2012
I loved working for Reed Elsevier and publishing in general. I've always had a love of books and being able to be a part of promoting literacy is a wonderful thing. Reed Elsevier also promotes volunteering for non-profit organizations via the RECares program. They allow each employee two paid days per year to volunteer for any non-profit organization of their choosing. I served on the RECares committee for 6 years and was very inspired and impressed by the committment of the company and the passion of the employees.
Pros
summer hours, excellent health benefits, paid holidays, 401k match
Cons
closing of the san diego office & sale of the harcourt trade division in 2009.
Great company to work for.
Office Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2013
Some of my daily responsibilities included: assisting the Director of Office Services, handling facility related issues and coordinating meetings for internal and external meetings. I was able to identify my key strengths when working at Elsevier. My responsibilities allowed me to grow. My colleagues is another reason why I enjoyed working here. They were always helpful and supportive whenever I coordinated company events. The hardest part was when my department got downsized because of outsourcing. Overall, if I had to work for a company again, it would definitely be Elsevier.
Pros
great company, great employees, great healthcare benefits.
Cons
none.
Great supervisors and co-workers
Senior Production/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAMay 15, 2012
Most days were packed with production and deadlines. Learned to work well under pressure and became very relaxed with management. The people I worked with on a day-to-day basis were awesome and we still keep in touch, we became what we called the "ACP Family"! The hardest part of the job were the days when some things just didn't work right - but that was usually due to technology and every one has those days. I enjoyed the job, the challenges and the people!
Pros
great benefits!!
Cons
although not as bad as some - the commute!
Case Manager
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 27, 2015
Amazing culture and team of individuals to work with. Consistently working to improve internally as well as externally. If you have work ethic and believe in being part of a team, this is the place to be. If you are able to be ready for constant change and willing to rise to the occasion, this is the place for you.
this use to be a great place to work...morale has gone down in the past couple of years
call center (Former Employee) –  norcrossSeptember 20, 2012
This went from a great work enviroment to a woeful one in about 2 years time...the company's reputation has taken hits from their customer base...out sourcing has hurt as well. Overall benefits are good...advancement is slow if you're not in with the good old boys. Micro management has become a huge player. Great co workers!
Pros
benefits...co workers
Cons
micro managing...cliques run the show...not much diversity in upper management
Extremely stressful environment with little compensation
Business Relationship Developer (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMarch 18, 2014
A typical day is having your manager stay in the office all day long with no personal interaction.
Major micro-management with daily and monthly goals that are completely out of reach.
No value given to the employees for the productivity and what they do for the company.
Pros
benefits, pto
Cons
management is not aware about the day to day., the people who should be in charge aren't., if you value your sanity..., one of the rcd "values" is valuing our people..., this is just not true!
Not a fun place to work
Senior Editor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJune 22, 2012
Most co-workers and management team are backstabbers, If you just need a job with good benefits and dont get involved in office politics it can be a good place to work. Watch your back, your co-workers will report any conduct they perceive as bad to managment and management will believe them. With no concrete proof or evidence. Very easy repitious job. The best part of the day was going home.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
negative management team and low pay
Productive, fun place and friendly staff and co-workers
Copy Inspection Editor (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAAugust 18, 2013
Productive environment. Management and co-workers are great. Many advancements and training. Reed Technology shows their appreciations to our employees as once a year Appreciation Day Picnic, weekly Philly ticket giveaways, fun games with chosen teams, and Friday's send me home day!!
Pros
flexible hours, benefits are great, and retirement plan.
Cons
higher salary
Family oriented work enviornment
Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 4, 2016
Worked close with team to process company leaves for the company you were assigned to. Very helpful to employees in all situations.
Pros
showed appreciation for job well done
Cons
downsized