Reed Smith LLP Employee Reviews

Cut throat firm with w\miserable partners and not enough work to go around.
Counsel (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2017
Reed Smith is the worst place I have worked during a 30 year career. The pay was low compared to similar firms. The older, male partners bully associates and staff and generally are miserable. The associates ruthlessly compete for work. The hours are long, there is no loyalty and everyone is paranoid about their job. Beware!
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Low pay, ruthlessly competitive environment, not enough work to go around.
Office needs to grow
Corporate Paralegal Employer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 26, 2017
the office was not that busy and needs to grow. There were many days when I had no work and it was hard to find billable hours to meet my quota. Needs more attorneys
Productive place of work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 23, 2017
Reed Smith LLP is a great place to work. The attorneys ensure that you have enough work to occur your time and, overall, the experience was quite pleasant.
Professional Work environment
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94612March 14, 2017
I always loved my job at Reed Smith LLP. The company was well managed and well kept. Very professional and you enjoyed going o work each and every day. My coworkers were the best. We were all like family, that's the type of environment we were in.
Best Law Firm
Legal Document Specialist - Trouble Shooter (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAFebruary 16, 2017
Arrived in morning and started working on all legal documents relating to Real Estate, Probate, Litigation and Estate Planning. Loved working at this law firm. Attorneys and staff were great.
Pros
Great Benefits and People
Cons
People are nice to work with if you are liked. Good benefits.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2017
Good people to work with, good benefits and good vacation time.

The micromanaging caused poor employee moral. Upper Management not aware of the shenanigans that goes on sometimes. And, there is little to no room for advancement.

Many times had to be prepared to work pretty long hours. Need to increase the amount available for raises, so the true hard workers get proper increases.
Pros
Reputable firm. Good benefits
Cons
micromanaging created poor employee moral
This is an exemplary law firm to work for!
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 2, 2015
Reed Smith LLP is an exemplary law firm, dedicated to their staff at all levels. They are up to date on industry benefit packages and take great pride in the treatment of their staff and legal professionals.
Pros
Life Work Balance, Competitive Salary and Benefits
Cons
Non
great environment
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 22, 2015
This is a very busy place to work but also very fun. Management is very good at this location and there is so much to learn from day to day.
Workplace
Commercial Real Estate Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 17, 2015
I really enjoy my job and my firm. The attorneys are some of the smartest in their industries and some of the most wonderful and compassionate lawyer I have ever worked with.
Pros
Work Environment
Great place to intern
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2015
Awesome work environment, friendly co-workers, outstanding management. Learned a ton of new skills and software. Would recommend to anyone.
Office was great but firm politics were horrible
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2015
Reed Smith is a global law firm. The benefits are more expensive than other firms and job security is not great. Department management varies from great to poor and most employees are stressed beyond belief from overwork.I learned a lot from my time there but I have to say my blood pressure has gone down since I left. I do miss my co-workers and the attorneys.
Pros
Ample vacation, great dental coverage
Cons
Long hours with no appreciation
Corporate & Securities Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2014
The best thing about RS is the culture. The firm does not tolerate negative attitudes or energy. Instead there is active promotion and fostering of teamwork and team building to achieve success within the firm.
Great company to work for -
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  PittsburghAugust 17, 2014
They really take care of their employees through their benefits system. I learned a lot. It's very much how to keep the lawyers happy here. Good people to work with.
Pros
Great benefits, Pto, fringe benefits
Cons
Office politics overruling common sense.
Fast Paced, High stress
Sr. Client Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  DowntownDecember 26, 2013
I loved this job. It was extremely fast paced, high stress. I was laid off in the economy bottom out. My co-workers were very supportive and nice. The job was close to home. The management was weak, but getting better.
Pros
Location, coworkers, compensation
Cons
Stressful, worked 365 days a year
Honest place to work, great benefits.
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2013
Legal SecretaryCorporate, Entertainment and Real Estate - A typical day would be where I would arrive, enter my parters' time sheet from the previous day, schedule any meetings or travel arrangements. Correct any word processed contracts or meeting notes. Open new client matters. Handle billing issues and all invoices. Revise powerpoint presentations. Complete closing binders. Answer and place calls for my attorneys. Field any potential client calls. Receive visiting clients, etc.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Not altogether challenged
informative
Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2013
I learned a lot. Worked at Pepper the summer before my senior year of high school. I learned a lot about the process of the law.
Pros
interesting coworkers
Cons
short stay
Excellent place to work but little in the way of job advancement
FIRMWIDE NETWORK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  PAJune 28, 2013
Excellent place to work but little in the way of job advancement
Busy workplace, very large law firm.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2013
Revised briefs, prepared affidavit of service, blue backs and assembled them.
Enteted daily time entries of attorneys.
Printed bills of clients for attorneys review and mailing.
Used Gear Player for dictation of correspondance by attorneys.

Co-workers friendly and business professional.

Hardest part of job is working fast and accurately to meet deadline.

Going to lunch with couple of my co-workers and enjoying and hour of winding down.
Pros
Going to lunch, great benefits and great vacation
Cons
Large company, pay raises at low percentage rates.
Very nice to work for such a strong law firm
IT Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 28, 2013
I enjoyed my time at Reed Smith, however after 6+ years I needed to advance and grow and seek more opportunities to utilize my skills and further my career. I have definitly learn how to focus in a high volume envirionment.
Answered as 1st Tier level for all offices Firmwide including international users. Management is very nice and impressive in their achievements.

The hardest part of the job was working 7 days straight on the 3rd shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving users issues and making them feel very comfortable about any knowledge they needed or mistakes that they may have made.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
7 day work weeks
Productive and relaxed workplace with great people
Business Center Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 24, 2013
Reed Smith LLP is a worldwide company. Each branch, no matter which country it's in, supports one another to create one united company. I work in their Global Customer Center, responsible for ensuring client/employee requests are fulfilled. I have learned a lot from my experience and my co-workers. This helpful staff is readily avaliable to helping their own, providing their abilities to others when needed.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
sitting for long periods of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reed Smith LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2