Regional Hospital of Scranton

Regional Hospital of Scranton Employee Reviews

Patient access
Patient access (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 19, 2015
True what they say, the company hires you for probation period then fires you right before your benefits kick in. Most "older" workers are rude and disrespectful. The management is part of a "click" and if your not in it, you're gone. Training is horrible, no breaks, bad mannered staff, rude Co workers makes it even worse. My regards to anyone who is newly hired or currently works here.
Pros
Patients are very friendly
Cons
No breaks, rude coworkers, fired before probation period is up and uneducated management.
As a unit clerk things get hard. Mentally hard.
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 11, 2016
A normal typical day, goes smoothly, new patients come in I write up this thing called a Cardex. Which is kind of like a cheat sheet for the nurses instead of having to search for it in the patients actual chart. I answer the phone calls, give them to the nurses or staff member the person that is calling is looking for and that's basically all.
I've learned to answer phone calls how to be proper and polite especially to people who are concerned for their family members in the hospital, which is more about being a basic human who can relate to things like that.
My co-workers can be a bit much to deal with, but they are all pretty sweet, and understanding for the most part. There are some who have power go straight to their head and end up messing things up but, my job is to fix the mistakes and I do my job of fixing it very well, if i do say so myself.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help these people as best as I can so they can go home happy and healthy, with the proper medications and the right amount of visits from their doctors.
Pros
The nurses week and hospital week favors are pretty nice.
Cons
Rude people can put a damper on ones spirit espiecially if you have to work with them
Learned a lot
Patient Access Clerk (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 29, 2016
Strong union presence makes improvement difficult. Goals are set and too much resistance to change is received. The good employees are the best I have ever encountered.
some good times
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 22, 2016
there isn't enough staff and low on supplies. its difficult working here and keeping a sane mind.it is hard with working with people who don't listen to who is in charge and think they can do whatever they want and see that nothing happens to them.
Cons
not enough staff
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PADecember 5, 2015
I did my internship at Regional Hospital in Scranton and it was a great learning experience. My preceptor was very nice and helpful. If I had any questions or concerns she would answer them very quickly and helped me understand anything I needed to know. After my internship I could not wait to start my career in the healthcare system.
sureal
ESS (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 14, 2015
CHS is an evil greedy company. I worked the ESS constant change so many demands. I also worked Tyler/Tunkhannock one day a week.Then the site visits, where you must go to peoples homes. I/others would end up in bars, pawn shops etc. I thought very dangerous.Fell on deaf ears. @ great bosses moved away with CHS was left with 2 new ones who could care less. IT could of been a great job....had there been a support team. Keep in mind ESS is CHS you will work AT a hospital but not FOR. CHS is all about greeed numbers and M O N E Y!!
Pros
pay
Cons
no support iggnorant supervisors.
Overall good experience
AMT, RPT (Registered Phlebotomy Tech) (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 1, 2016
My responsibilities included drawing patients in the ER/Outpatients and floors. I had a great experience there as an employee and a student. Made me the wonderful Phlebotomist I am today.
Productive and caring work facility
Patient Access Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 18, 2016
A wonderful and enjoyable experience working daily with patients and meeting their needs. Making sure patients are always with a smile and satisfied during each visit to the Emergency Room.
n/a
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 13, 2015
Greeting staff team, then meeting assigned patients during bedside report, completing full patients assessments and priorities patient assignment. Learning depends on that day assigned patients. Everyday @10AM we have patient huddle with the manager, case manager, and the rest of team to discus about assigned patients needs and care. It is usually busy in out floor and we mostly call other co-workers when we need each other for patient care. Example if a pt is a fall risk, we will communicate among co-workers to keep and eye on the the fall risk patient for safety purposes. During medications passing is hardest part of the job because it requires 100% focus and concentration. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you see improvement and good progress in patients health. Also when patients are discharge to home because they are well.
Pros
Free lunch cards
Cons
Missing breaks due to increase work-load
overall a great place to work if you really are interested in patient care and have a desire to help others/management can be under qualified
Patient Access Clerk/Lead (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 25, 2015
Overall, Regional Hospital really was a nice place to work. The population of the hospitals patients is primarily geriatric which I really enjoyed. A number of the departments in the hospital are union run so when hired, if your department is union, you have to join the union even if you do not want to which I did not really like. I think that overall the hospital could do a better job with who they hire for department management. I feel as though there are a number of managers that just do not have the proper training or skill set to do the job they were given and therefore there are problems. The hospital does tend to be a bit clicky when speaking of workplace friendships and interactions but for the most part it was a great place to work. On a positive note, I did feel as though there was room and opportunity for growth within the company which is a very nice option.
Pros
the patients are great, many employees there really care about the patients and go above and beyond, there is opportunity for growth within the company
Cons
management often seems under educated and not well equipped for the job, they are quick to hire employees that maybe are not a good fit, many of the positions are union and that is non optional union fees are pricey
Great Coworkers even better patients.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 1, 2013
Great older hospital to work in. I liked the fact that a prayer was said over the pa system everyday. My coworkers were pleasant and had great senses of humor. I learned a lot from working here about Tracheostomy care and providing excellent care in an acute care setting.The downside was that the hospital was transitioning when I was hired and I had never met my boss the whole time I was working there ,anything that required the bosses involvement was handled via telephone and fax.
Pros
really nice cafeteria and benefit package
Cons
not enough staff i was the only aid on an acute care unit so i barely got to take breaks
Productive Day
Pc Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 16, 2013
I answer Helpdesk calls (phone/email/in person), solving them via phone or remote access. Deploying, upgrading, and removing devices such as computers, printers, scanners, and fax machines. Provide documentation about installing, removing, and updating hardware and software. I manage user accounts in various systems, keeping up to date with users' access. I give 110% everyday of my all. I'm very organized and prioritize things that need to be done right away or that can wait a few days. I am eager to learn new things that will better myself in a way to help out others.
Great work environment
Vascular Technician student (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAMarch 27, 2013
I was placed here for clinical experience while in college. I would love to work there if there was a position available, but my future plans are to move to the south and start a new career.
Workers and Patients
Customer Service Representative/Rehab Aid (Former Employee) –  Scranton PAMarch 27, 2015
Working for Mercy not Regional was great. I was able to care for patients as a rehab aid and then as a CSR. Since CHS took over all they care about is money. A patients care means nothing to them.
Pros
Giving love and compassion to others.
Cons
Only caring for money.
Good Medical-Surgical Hospital
Registered Nurse/ Medical/Surgical/Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 4, 2013
Good Medical-Surgical experience. Most of staff is not pleasant to agency/travel nurses. Nurse to patient ratio was ridiculous 1:13, definitely overworked but good experience. Difficult to fit in as an agency nurse, not treated very well.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
co-workers/work load
First Professional Learning Experiment
PC Tech (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 26, 2014
• Add Computers/Printers to Active Directory
• Manage users in Active Directory
• Diagnose problem with computer
• Install Computer Software
• Install Computer Hardware
• Run Virus Scans
• Use ticketing system to help prioritize issues
Horrible company to work for
PATIENT ACCESS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 9, 2014
They like to fire their employees before the probationary period ends and suck you for everything you got.
Pros
The money and the hours were the best
Cons
rather not say
Terrible place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  RegistrationJune 28, 2014
I agree, they like to fire their employees before the probationary period ends and suck you for everything you got. Too much favoritism.
The hardest part of the job
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Regional Hospital of ScrantonAugust 27, 2012
Not being able to spend enough time with patients. Acuity of patient's to nurse ratio. Multiple admissions
Pros
union
Cons
inexperienced staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Regional Hospital of Scranton. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8