Regional Hospital of Scranton Employee Reviews

never a dull moment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 22, 2017
it was an OK place to work, if you don;t mind some stress and working weekends and holidays, part time workers got vacation days but there is a union.. and it was too costly
Pros
paid time off
Cons
very busy, understaffed sometimes
no appreciation of dedication to patients whatsoever
LPN-float, Home (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 17, 2017
There is no appreciation of dedication to patients whatsoever by management.
Good worker is given heavy assignment load to compensate for smokers breaks.
Pros
It is job
Cons
no apreciation by enyone
direct patient care, was consulted on all department changes, staff input was valued
Staff Nurse, Orthopaedics (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 13, 2017
left after 34 years to relocate to Florida. I worked all departments with the exception of Labor and Delivery and the Emergecny Room. I am CCU, MICU and SICU along with pre op and post anesthesia trained.
Productive and fun place to work.
LPN - Patient Access Clerk/Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 27, 2017
This was the most interesting job I have ever held and there was always something different during each shift. I enjoyed working with the people there and the doctor's were amazing.
Pros
excellant companionship
Cons
someone always called in sick
surgical reiewer
Clinical Reviewer for Surgical servic (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAApril 12, 2017
A typical day includes data abstraction on concurrent surgical cases.
I work directly with the department of surgery. We review the content of the abstractions and make changes to our day to day operations as we need to. This help our surgical department maintain quality and provide safe patient care.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
not being part of the bargaining union
Open a lot of doors for me
Health Information Coordinator (HIM) (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 25, 2017
Working at Regional Hospital of Scranton (Former Mercy Health Partners), in the medical record department reminds me every day of why I like the challenges with the medical record and changing of systems. Open a lot of doors for me when I came to experience the challenges of maintaining and coordinating records that was the drive for me to continue to further my education and move up in my career. There are many opportunities for learning and continuing education. I love helping others in need, I love being that extra push to others and showing others that I can support you in whatever the situation may be. RHS is staffed with knowledgeable employees that can handle the level of professionalism at hand. The administration and management really do help you to successes as a member of their community. They give you the resources you need.
Pros
Colleagues, education, support, philosophy and ethics of the organization.
Cons
Pay, Benefits when it comes to co payments with insurance
Most enjoyable part of the job
CHARGE PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PASeptember 13, 2016
The more enjoyable part of the job was knowing I made a different in someones' life every day. I really enjoyed working in the lab. The work-load and staffing were challenging many day but it was worth it to see a child no longer afraid of having blood work because you helped them not be afraid anymore.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
Short staff, poor management
Learned a lot
Patient Access Clerk (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 29, 2016
Strong union presence makes improvement difficult. Goals are set and too much resistance to change is received. The good employees are the best I have ever encountered.
some good times
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 22, 2016
there isn't enough staff and low on supplies. its difficult working here and keeping a sane mind.it is hard with working with people who don't listen to who is in charge and think they can do whatever they want and see that nothing happens to them.
Cons
not enough staff
As a unit clerk things get hard. Mentally hard.
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 11, 2016
A normal typical day, goes smoothly, new patients come in I write up this thing called a Cardex. Which is kind of like a cheat sheet for the nurses instead of having to search for it in the patients actual chart. I answer the phone calls, give them to the nurses or staff member the person that is calling is looking for and that's basically all.
I've learned to answer phone calls how to be proper and polite especially to people who are concerned for their family members in the hospital, which is more about being a basic human who can relate to things like that.
My co-workers can be a bit much to deal with, but they are all pretty sweet, and understanding for the most part. There are some who have power go straight to their head and end up messing things up but, my job is to fix the mistakes and I do my job of fixing it very well, if i do say so myself.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help these people as best as I can so they can go home happy and healthy, with the proper medications and the right amount of visits from their doctors.
Pros
The nurses week and hospital week favors are pretty nice.
Cons
Rude people can put a damper on ones spirit espiecially if you have to work with them
Overall good experience
AMT, RPT (Registered Phlebotomy Tech) (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 1, 2016
My responsibilities included drawing patients in the ER/Outpatients and floors. I had a great experience there as an employee and a student. Made me the wonderful Phlebotomist I am today.
Productive and caring work facility
Patient Access Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 18, 2016
A wonderful and enjoyable experience working daily with patients and meeting their needs. Making sure patients are always with a smile and satisfied during each visit to the Emergency Room.
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PADecember 5, 2015
I did my internship at Regional Hospital in Scranton and it was a great learning experience. My preceptor was very nice and helpful. If I had any questions or concerns she would answer them very quickly and helped me understand anything I needed to know. After my internship I could not wait to start my career in the healthcare system.
sureal
ESS (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 14, 2015
CHS is an evil greedy company. I worked the ESS constant change so many demands. I also worked Tyler/Tunkhannock one day a week.Then the site visits, where you must go to peoples homes. I/others would end up in bars, pawn shops etc. I thought very dangerous.Fell on deaf ears. @ great bosses moved away with CHS was left with 2 new ones who could care less. IT could of been a great job....had there been a support team. Keep in mind ESS is CHS you will work AT a hospital but not FOR. CHS is all about greeed numbers and M O N E Y!!
Pros
pay
Cons
no support iggnorant supervisors.
Patient access
Patient access (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 19, 2015
True what they say, the company hires you for probation period then fires you right before your benefits kick in. Most "older" workers are rude and disrespectful. The management is part of a "click" and if your not in it, you're gone. Training is horrible, no breaks, bad mannered staff, rude Co workers makes it even worse. My regards to anyone who is newly hired or currently works here.
Pros
Patients are very friendly
Cons
No breaks, rude coworkers, fired before probation period is up and uneducated management.
overall a great place to work if you really are interested in patient care and have a desire to help others/management can be under qualified
Patient Access Clerk/Lead (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 25, 2015
Overall, Regional Hospital really was a nice place to work. The population of the hospitals patients is primarily geriatric which I really enjoyed. A number of the departments in the hospital are union run so when hired, if your department is union, you have to join the union even if you do not want to which I did not really like. I think that overall the hospital could do a better job with who they hire for department management. I feel as though there are a number of managers that just do not have the proper training or skill set to do the job they were given and therefore there are problems. The hospital does tend to be a bit clicky when speaking of workplace friendships and interactions but for the most part it was a great place to work. On a positive note, I did feel as though there was room and opportunity for growth within the company which is a very nice option.
Pros
the patients are great, many employees there really care about the patients and go above and beyond, there is opportunity for growth within the company
Cons
management often seems under educated and not well equipped for the job, they are quick to hire employees that maybe are not a good fit, many of the positions are union and that is non optional union fees are pricey
Workers and Patients
Customer Service Representative/Rehab Aid (Former Employee) –  Scranton PAMarch 27, 2015
Working for Mercy not Regional was great. I was able to care for patients as a rehab aid and then as a CSR. Since CHS took over all they care about is money. A patients care means nothing to them.
Pros
Giving love and compassion to others.
Cons
Only caring for money.
n/a
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 13, 2015
Greeting staff team, then meeting assigned patients during bedside report, completing full patients assessments and priorities patient assignment. Learning depends on that day assigned patients. Everyday @10AM we have patient huddle with the manager, case manager, and the rest of team to discus about assigned patients needs and care. It is usually busy in out floor and we mostly call other co-workers when we need each other for patient care. Example if a pt is a fall risk, we will communicate among co-workers to keep and eye on the the fall risk patient for safety purposes. During medications passing is hardest part of the job because it requires 100% focus and concentration. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you see improvement and good progress in patients health. Also when patients are discharge to home because they are well.
Pros
Free lunch cards
Cons
Missing breaks due to increase work-load
Terrible place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  RegistrationJune 28, 2014
I agree, they like to fire their employees before the probationary period ends and suck you for everything you got. Too much favoritism.
First Professional Learning Experiment
PC Tech (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 26, 2014
• Add Computers/Printers to Active Directory
• Manage users in Active Directory
• Diagnose problem with computer
• Install Computer Software
• Install Computer Hardware
• Run Virus Scans
• Use ticketing system to help prioritize issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Regional Hospital of Scranton. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8