Regional Transportation District

Regional Transportation District Employee Reviews

Good people to work with. Easy job to do
Technician/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 6, 2018
The company has good people to work with. Management has a lot to be desired.
The job also has chances for advancement as well as good training opportunities.
Pros
Good people to work with. competive pay.
Cons
Over all Management.
RTD work summary
Schedule Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 12, 2017
There really was no "typical" day at RTD, each day was different. It was the Denver area's transit system and the process of creating and adjusting the bus schedules took several months to perform. We had three service changes a year. For each change we were constantly monitoring the running times and passenger levels for each route and when changes were warranted (and resources were available for a change), we would estimate the service levels and new schedules based on these levels, then implement them in on-the-street service.
From 2004-2016; the Denver area RTD was involved in a major transit expansion project in which over 100 miles of heavy ridership rail service was introduced in intervals over this twelve year period. Every time a new segment was open, major bus route adjustments needed to be made.
It was a very friendly, mutual co-operative environment, every one felt as if we were all on the same team and were there to help 400-thousand people a day get to where they needed to go. It was a real team, some of the team members were better at some aspects of the function than others who were better at other aspects, but every one was "there for each other"
The hardest part was due to the cyclical nature of the process, there were often "down times" where activity was at a lull, and I found those to be difficult.
Pros
Interesting work, made a major contribution to the growth of a city, working everyday with and for friends
Cons
Periodic times of very little work activity
good environment with the opportunity to advance
maintence/landscaper/driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 31, 2017
one of the better companies to work in the state of Colorado. hard bosses but fair... some of the better ones I've worked for. very good company... would recommend it to others,which I've done when out in public....
Pros
pay, hours, days at least in my department are pretty good.
Cons
not enough ot... benefits can be pretty high..
Fun place to work with a pool table
Rail Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2017
Great place to work nd provide a lot of working hours. Due to the high demand of operators, work is available and lots of it. You can sometimes be mandated to come in on your of days.
Pros
You get to operate buses and trains
Cons
You can have rough hours
Hard to get regular days off
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 29, 2017
RTD has been forcing employees to work one of their days off each week for more than two years. The new CEO has caused a lot of problems by minimising staff freetime and maximizing run coverage.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
No family time
Bus Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 23, 2017
Union wages and benefits are a big plus. Mechanic work on large buses is hard work management strives to make situation as good as possible. round the clock shifts are available
Nice place to work
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 28, 2017
I worked at RTD for over 14 years and was promoted five times. It was a great atmosphere to work in. The vacation/sick leave are unbeatable, but the salaries are quite a bit lower then working for a consulting firm.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
Salaries are lower
Union position with weak representation
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 22, 2017
New to the company, required to work split shifts. Overtime is mandatory. Compensation is no where near industry standards. Union dues increased every year I was there and had very little representation.
Pros
easy to be hired
Cons
worked without regard to family
Career Effective
ADA Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 17, 2017
This is a place where being proactive is very important. It would be good to remember to always keep that in mind examining potential jobs and yourself.
Mass Transit is great
Customer Care Telephone Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80202August 23, 2016
Mass Transit is great. Buses are fun, so are trains. Working hours are great. Paid holidays, good vacation accumulation. Various benefit plans to choose from. Free bus pass including one family member. Working in downtown Denver is fun. Working with the public is rewarding. Providing mobility options to the district is fulfilling.
Pros
free bus pass
Cons
working holidays
General Repair Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 11, 2016
Great job wish i could take this job with me. if i wasn't moving to Ga i would still be working here.
Coworkers are nice. fixing busing making sure people make it to work on time, makes u feel like your apart of something
Pros
Union
Cons
Union pension is going down the drain
I would not recommend to a friend
Point of sales Kiosk Field/Desktop Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 18, 2016
I would not recommend working for this company. They do not treat employees with respect and the management barks our orders and manages by fear.
Growth opportunities
Operating Division Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 11, 2016
Large company with growth opportunities. Full support staff that is available for training and support. Excellent benefit package. Work environment is positive.
Pros
Salary and growth opportunities
Very Productive and Controled Environment
Secretary, Operating Division (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 4, 2015
This company is probably one of the best companies you could possibly work for.
You get money to take classes, you get great benefits and you get chances to move up!
Pros
Professional experience, learning new skills
Cons
Bad Communication across the Departments
poor management
Certified Mechanic (Former Employee) –  denver coloradoMay 20, 2015
spend money just like it is not theirs, but it is cause it is tax money, with no accountability, promote people with no people skills
Great benefits, good people to work with. Job provides satisfaction and self fulfillment!
Customer Service Correspondent and Liaison (Current Employee) –  Denver, ColoradoApril 1, 2015
I handle, respond to and forward to other departments as needed all correspondence received through email and social media.

There are only 2 of us who do this job and it is a pleasure to work with her. My immediate superior has brought a different culture to what we do which is a most welcome change. It is a much improved system than the prior years.

Having our hands tied with situations such as irregular operations caused by weather, mechanical and the like makes it a challenge to turn passengers around into agreeable customers.

The other side of that is when in spite of all the challenges, the passenger now leaves a satisfied customer.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Wish it was a perfect world where we can provide service that passengers can be very satisfied with.
good company
Parts Counter Person (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 2, 2015
fill orders for mecanics , people were good to be around ,stocking part very time consuming management ,changed allot , learned out about bus parts reciving parts putting away
Great company to work for. Nice people, great management.
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 21, 2014
One of the best aspects of the company is that every employee is valued and recognized. You really feel like a part of a great team whose team member always support each other.
Pros
Great people, interesting projects
Cons
It can be slow sometimes
A challenging experience which teaches one a lot about your self and others
Driver, Street Supervisor & Insructor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2014
I drove all different types and sizes of coaches and literally all routes throughout Denver and it's five counties. I was an extra board operator on & off for a few years. I would have to be ready to drive any bus/route in the system on a moments notice. It was challenging and rewarding and it taught me a lot about myself. A professional RTD bus operator needed to be able to handle the bus ,route, and schedule, the passengers questions and feelings, and the weather! We would also load and unload wheelchairs with a hydraulic lift. We did our best to get our passengers to their destinations in a safe and timely manner. I also trained to become a Group 2 Street Supervisor. I worked with management personnel to maintain schedules, investigated traffic accidents. We would take instruction from dispatch and cover any situation or problem that necessitated our presence. A few years went by, changed hats and helped new student operators as a revenue/non-revenue instructor. Those were the hardest and best eight years of my career! So after a total of 24 years I threw my towel into the ring and retired. I made some lasting friendships and value the time spent helping people of all walks of life and would recommend this job to just about everyone.
Pros
Good pay with health benefits, every day was different, got to see alot of Denver, CO and how demographics lived and worked.
Cons
Sometimes dealing with inclement weather and at times obnoxious indivisuals.
Outstanding organization
Program Manager, Information Technology - ERP (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 1, 2014
Outstanding organization with great opportunity for employees the community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Regional Transportation District. Our community is ready to answer.

Regional Transportation District Reviews by Location