Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Employee Reviews

High nurse to patient ratio and worked to the bone
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2016
My experience with RIC was unfortunately really terrible. Senior nurses were often unsupportive and rude to new nurses. Pay was not competitive. My patient load was often 1:8 or 1:10 with patients that were not ambulatory or required total care (my floor was considered to be an ambulatory floor but this ended up not really being the case). The turn over rate seemed high and new hires coming through often looked miserable or would tell me in confidence that they were.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Pay & nurse to patient ratio
Horrible Management
Housekeeper Tech II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2016
I worked in the housekeeping department for 2 years as a floor tech. It was an overall unpleasant work experience. The people are very unfriendly and outright rude. As far as the housekeeping department goes the management is absolutely horrible from the director down to the supervisors. They are so unprofessional it's just sad. The childish and immature behavior displayed by so called adults is sickening. RIC should seriously consider getting rid of Crothall management services, because it would benefit them a great deal. The pay rate is not equal to the workload and that's something they definitely need to improve upon, because whether they realize it or not housekeeping is a very important part of what keeps a hospital running. The best thing I did was to move on to another job.
Pros
Cons
Pay is not equal to the heavy and demanding workload . Unpleasant work environment. Poor management
First employment as Hospital Security
Public Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2017
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago was were I first worked in hospital security. I started out working in the Parking garage and was promoted to as on site officer and then to Assistant Supervisor. The work place was always so professional and the ability to help some one was constantly presenting itself. I learned to be patient and kind to the patience and their families, I sometime would direct vehicle traffic and had a daily obligation to make rounds of the entire complex,inside and out. This was a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Good to be recognized for your work
Cons
My family moved away for a short period and I had to give up the job.
Decent Job
RN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 23, 2016
It's a great place to start as a new grad. You are able to build confidence as a nurse. The benefits are great. However, the employee turn over rate isn't as great. The employees are over worked and exhausted because of poor staffing practices.
Good job, poor management
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2016
I like the job but its inconvenient coming in everyday from the suburbs, and the management needs to improve. To much favoritism and too much talking and not enough working.
Innovative rehabilitation engineering and healthcare
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2017
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago was the place to be as a young bioengineer in the Chicago area. There is ground breaking research performed by engineers in the labs and in the halls coupled with excellent healthcare delivery by the medical staff.
There is much to learn in this wonderful environment.
Pros
Good cafe and smiles all around!
Good coworkers, poor management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2016
The turnover rate for nurses is very high at RIC. The pay is also horrible for nurses. RIC needs to change something. The technology, staff members are good.
Pros
Staff
Productive and fun
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Fantastic environment, Excellent service, wonderful work ethics and professional co-workers.
The hard part is getting to Down town Chicago during rush hours
The best bart is seeing patients getting better and functioning.
Bad experience
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2016
Bad experience with a co-worker and manager, very unprofessional and a bit of bullies .Expressed my issues to HR and they did nothing, if anything they tried to hide the situation.
Pros
location
Productive and fun place
Engineer in Residence - Optimization Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2016
Four years of my undergrad well spent at MJCET because of the opportunities the robotics club offered. Fantastic place to work and keep yourself occupied.
Pros
Biryani nights
Cons
Not paid
understaffed and overworked
RN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2016
Don't be fooled by all of the advertisement about this place showing cute little children in wheelchairs. This is the worst place I have EVER worked. The organization is continually understaffed (gee, I wonder why) and begs RNs to work overtime. Training is incomplete even though there is an entire staff of "nurse educators". This is a research hospital only concerned with how many letters employees have after their name, not with the quality of patient care, or the satisfaction of their RN's
Pros
walking distance
Cons
work like a dog
great place to work
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2016
loved the rehab approach to healthcare treatment. this form of medicine allows all to benefit from the patient to those surrounding the patient in everyday life. therapy is not a one time treatment but a way of life to enhance each and everyone of us.
Very Friendly and Client/Patient Based
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2013
I learned a lot about how useful others' and my own skill sets can be in helping the work environment around me. After a year of working at this job, I reasoned with myself; I realized that after almost a decade of working in the healthcare industry and being able to be technologically beneficent to my company's operations just meant another door was waiting for me to be opened. I have always had teaching be my strong points. I strongly believe that I can be a superb addition to any EMR HIT Team because of my strong IS skills and attention to detail, along with my boundless creativity, RIC wasn't pushing my skills in the desired direction of my of my personal.
Pros
well cultured environment and prestigious workplace.
Cons
time flexibility, advancement opportunities were minimal.
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2016
As a volunteer here, I have learned many important professional techniques and the staff is well rounded. This staff here really enjoy working here and are very helpful to each other.
Love Working Here!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2014
Working as flex staff RN, on a PRN basis. Flex department is incredibly accommodating and fantastic at ensuring adequate staffing. Coworkers are supportive, positive, and knowledgeable. Clinical ladder for upward mobility in the organization. RIC is innovative and constantly trying to improve to be better for patients and staff. Fantastic job culture. I feel that pay is competitive as well.
Pros
Flexible, Supportive, Positive Culture, Compensation
Change
Release of Information-Medical Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2016
A typical day for me seems stressful to many , but normal to me challenge is always a good way to see if you can work well under pressure. dealing with so many law firms, clients, patients and making sure that everyone is satisfied with that very first phone call appears to go along way because you are providing confidence that they may not be able to get at other places.
Pros
I love what I do .
Cons
No enough tools to complete your job
Enjoy working here
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2016
Fun environment! There's so much gratitude from the doctors and nurses here! Only thing is! We all hate Mondays! They're the busiest day of the week for the lab....
Very Nice Working Experience
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2016
I enjoyed dealing with the patients. I have been doing release of information for over 20 years. I have assembled charts, scanned and fax medical records. The environment in medical records was ok.
Pros
N/A
My job experience
Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2012
I worked for this company for over 10 years and It was the best work experience i have ever had since graduating from High School I have learn most of my working skill from this company and working with other in a hospital setting , i came into the position working from a inventory back ground and it was excellent, i enjoyed my managers because they promoted excellent's and you moving up to better yourself , i would say that it was the best environment that taught Team work and being professional, that was the most rewarding part of this job , it broaden my horizon's 100% and i would thank them for that. The hardest part was working with outside company that would not comply to demands and not meeting expectation from the company. The most enjoyable was the experience and working with management and staff there it was the best.
Pros
working in a team work enviroment
Cons
staff call in only
Fun place to work. Had opportunity to interact with individual patients.
Rehabilitation Nurse (traveler) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2013
After report, will check on patients for stability. Medications and assessments were next on the list. Will then assisted patients with getting ready for therapy.

Learned to identify changes in patient status. These patients were medically cleared for inpatient rehab and good assessments were needed to discover changes in patient status.

Management was always involved and easily approachable. Management doors were always open.

Co workers were friendly and loved to teach.

Hardest part of the job was getting all the dressing changed done on my shift but I was always able to do them. I enjoyed spending the time with the patients talking while the dressings were being changed.

I enjoyed every part of my job.
Pros
Friendly staff, slower paced compared to hospitals
Cons
Travel assignment that ended

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Reviews by Location