REI Employee Reviews

Strong culture, Great environment
Retail Sales Lead (Current Employee), OregonAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Great discounts
Cons: Lack of real career development, Upper management needs to have the courage to actually promote people.
This is a great place to work. The wheels of promotion do turn slowly however. This is the kind of place that one can go and enjoy their work place. But if you are career minded, be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops and wait while doing it.
Supportive work environment
Sales Associate, Bicycle Technician (Current Employee), Lutherville-Timonium, MDAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great company culture
Cons: Too few hours available
A typical day at work includes an opening huddle, answering customer questions about products and services, helping define the customer's wants and needs into the best possible product for them, a half hour lunch break with two intermittent 15 minutes break per 8 hourr shift. I have learned so much about interacting with the customer and discovering their needs. Management is very helpful in training and support. Co-workers are friendly and interpersonal competition is minimal. The hardest part of my job is effectively managing time on less busy days. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting people excited about the outdoors, and telling them about the benefits of membership.
Love this Company
Warehouse Specialist (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 21, 2015
Co workers are amazing, and the work atmosphere is awesome. Customers are fantastic, warehouse work made fun. The company really cares for its employees
Always working
Driver (Former Employee), ALAugust 21, 2015
Hours are nonstop...on call. Split shifts, etc. Pay is good. Benefits are good as well. Hard to sleep during day. Not good for family with small children.
Leader in Outdoor Industry
Category Merchandise Manager (Current Employee), Kent, WAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Drive and own your business. Work over lapped with outdoor lifestyle
Cons: Work Life Balance and changing culture
Category Merchandise Manager: A driven Merchant with focus on delivering results. Excellent track record in career development of direct reports. Balanced approach to business that includes strategic vision supported with sound business analysis. Recognized as a partner and leader among peer and vendor communities. Quickly able to identify emerging trends and work with key stakeholders to capitalize on business potential and take calculated risks. Hold myself to the highest level of accountability to share a vision and bring others along towards common goals. Very strong Merchant background in Multi-Channel including Direct and Brick & Mortar, Hardgoods and Softgoods, Private Label, National Brand Vendors, as well as seek out and incubate new/emerging brands or products. Including developing business bottoms up and top down including owning, building, driving, and executing strategic business plan
Very Productive
Office Assistant (Former Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 10, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, free gas, free cellphone
Cons: payment
This job was very productive, in an ordinary day I had to open the business at 08:00, turn computers on, and call the business owner to remind him of all the to-do list of the day. I had no supervisors or managers, only the owner and my co-workers.
Very flexible hours and great pay.
Postion- Cashier & Sales Floor Representative (Former Employee), Stockton, CAAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Paid weekly
Cons: I don't really have any cons that come to mind. It was an overall good experience.
Great pay and flexible workweek hours. I averaged between 25-30 hours weekly. Great culture and training , great products and employee benefits.
Friendly and comfortable place to work
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Sumner, WAJuly 9, 2015
Focus on daily operations and workflow throughout the entire warehouse. Teamwork is a key expectation and practice. Team leads and supervisors are directly involved in the day-to-day decisions and practices. Co-workers are friendly and passionate individuals. Getting the work done on time day-in-and-out is the most difficult part of most jobs within the warehouse, but it is a rewarding experience.
REI is a great place to work
Customer Care (Former Employee), Sumner, WAJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Able to pick up extra hours if needed
Cons: The slow times not able to always get 40 hours
I loved the hours every one was so helpful in learning. The best part were the customers were almost always pleasant to talk too.
Work/Life Balance for All!
Records Clerk (Current Employee), Sumner, WAJune 26, 2015
Pros: Growth from within, benefits
Cons: Short breaks, "wheels turn slowly"
REI, whether you are at HQ, retail or a DC, promotes and prives a great work/life balance. They offer benefits, including health insurance and a ProDeal program with vendors, to ALL employees. I didn't personally try to climb the rungs, but REI values internal promotion and fosters your skills for leadership if so desired. They are a little behind the times when it comes to certain technologies, but overall I loved working for REI and I lament having to leave!
REI
Sales Associate (Former Employee), NYJune 26, 2015
Pros: Discounted gear.
Cons: If you did'nt sell memberships your hour got cut.
A day at REI. First thing is a meeting before the doors open. Then proceed to the sales floor. As the customer walks in, you must approach them and ask them if their a member. If not then you try to sell them one. Hardest part is dealing with the management that you told you couldn't work Sundays but the still put you on. Then its your job to get someone to cover for you. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the merchandise.
Great company, not the best co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fremont, CAJune 22, 2015
Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers
Workplace was a petri dish of good vibes
Customer Service (Former Employee), Sandy, UTMay 31, 2015
Pros: Employee discount; Prodeals; Surrounded by people who do what you do
Cons: None
There is nothing better than working with people who share your passion for the outdoors and the outdoor lifestyle. Everyone was willing to share their knowledge freely. We were always trying to coordinate outdoor activities together such as bike rides and climbs. The staff of REI Sandy will forever be my friends.
Good benefits, good culture
Manager, (Former Employee), Kent, WAMay 16, 2015
Good benefits good culture. But competitors are making the culture a little more anxious. New leadership is bringing in new ideas. Some are good, some require change.
Fun Great place
Picker (Former Employee), Sumner, WAMay 7, 2015
Great college atmosphere great fun and cool workers. Good advancement but work sometimes is seasonal. Work peaks during winter
I like REI
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Excellent group of people
Cons: Pay
It's not really enough on its own, though. If you're looking to make a living and excel in life, this probably isn't the best thing but they do have a decent job culture and management does listen.

But, if you love camping and are passionate about getting outside and encouraging an array of people to do the same, then I say go for it. One thing I've always loved about REI, and always will, is they are not openly hostile towards women who enjoy getting dirty and camping.

Product-wise: they need work. I know I just said they are not hostile toward women but they don't seem to have a lot for plus-size women to get started in the hiking or cycling sports. This needs to be addressed and I've said as much.

Co-worker are AMAZING. I love these people and we have our differences but you have common ground with a great deal of them from the get go.

The most enjoyable part is just being able to talk to people about camping. Just sharing my experiences out in the Mojave or on the plains is very satisfying.
Awesome Place to work
Seasonal Temporary (Former Employee), Sumner, WAApril 21, 2015
If i could have stated full time wih REI I would have for ever. The company as a whole is what i am all about. They are amazing there and the ethics of the company are thru the roof. They may be a large company now but the y still have that mom and pop feel to them which is a huge plus. they care about their employees as well as caring about the environment around them and preserving it.
Great place to start a career
Sales Lead (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAApril 20, 2015
Being able to assist clients in purchasing products to enjoy the outdoors

being around like minded outdoor enthusiasts sharing each others experiences made me want to come to work
loving and caring hard working people
Sale Associate (Former Employee), California, TustinApril 7, 2015
first I would go to break get my vest and my name tag and then I would clock in. Then I would got stock room grab my clip board to see how many items we have if see the order on that item I would order of that particular item. I learned to custom service, organize, stock,. Management is on point they know what there doing they help there employees if needed help. They know communicate very well. The co-workers knows what there doing and gets the job done on time. the hardest part of the job is custom service. the most enjoyable job is stocking
Great fun place to work.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Olympia, WAApril 2, 2015
Pros: Great Discounts
Cons: Salary
I spent most of my days helping customers find their outdoor needs. Management took interest in what I wanted to get out of working at REI. Co-workers were the best part. Always fun and exciting to work with. There wasn't anything really to difficult to do. The most enjoyable part was getting outside as a team and hike together.
Headquarters