REI Employee Reviews

Interesting
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 21, 2017
When I first started working at REI back in 2003 of August I didn't know a lot about the company. My job consist hanging the clothes , secure tag them , help put away shoes and bring out product on the floor and help customers with finding items
Pros
Benefits and bonus checks
Cons
Hours being cut dramtically
They suck.
Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAApril 19, 2017
They try to portray the eco friendly tree hugger. But are just like any other company out there. managers covering each others backs with no regard to the overall well being of the people they manage. production ratings that put you in a position so you need to cut your coworkers throat in order to even be considered for a half descent raise.
Pros
good benefits and vacation time system.
Cons
TERRRIBLE raises and HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!!!!
Productive and fun place to work
Marking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAApril 18, 2017
Great work atmosphere, contests, team building exercises. Management provide a fitness room for staff to exercise if they want to. Ability to cross train in various positions.
A great company
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COApril 17, 2017
Excellent company culture as well as a good dedication to live the values set forth by corporate. Real people, excellent products and a great place to work if you align with the lifestyle.
Great training and support
Seasonal Sales Call Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 14, 2017
I am grateful for the opportunity to work at REI. I love that REI is a coop, and I love the quality products and the care we give to our members and customers. The work environment is clean and well organized. I have received excellent training and training support once I began working on the phones. I love the team spirit there and find my co-workers to be very pleasant and helpful. The pay is good, and I love the special discounts and deals we get as employees. I love the on-site cafeteria too. I have really enjoyed my employment at REI.
Excellent Team Members
Footwear/Clothing Tema Member (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 6, 2017
A great company to work for with work life balance and support from leadership. Provided excellent training for new employees on your job and REI as a company.
Great place for a first internship.
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 6, 2017
I learned more then I could put into words. It was an amazing experience. Very friendly people and a great work environment. Company strongly believes in a work/life balance.
Pros
Great campus, on site gym and cafe.
Would work here again in a heartbeat
Frontline/ Action Sports Specialist; Shipper (Former Employee) –  Reading, MAApril 2, 2017
I can't say enough about REI as a company. I always felt like they were looking out for me from the department manager to the corporate members I may have dealt with. You are among people who share the same interests and end up making great friends. They had a policy that you couldn't cross-train within 6 months of starting in a new department but through hard-work and showing initiative I was able to train in 3 departments within 1 year
Pros
Management willing to help with everything. Plenty of room to advance to other departments.
Cons
Retail hours and often part-time positions only
Fantastic Place to Work
Sales Representative - Women's Clothing Dept (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2017
What a great job. The only downside was poor compensation. However, incredible working environment. Great co-workers. OK Management - sometimes GREAT Management. Amazing perks and discounts. Fun, productive, creative job...
Pros
co-workers, work environment, discounts
Cons
pay
If you have to work retail this is the place to do it
Shipping & Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 24, 2017
Retail is a hard job - the hours and dealing with difficult customers can be tough - but REI does very well supporting their employees. They provide great health insurance, retirement plans, and paid vacation. The best thing about REI, though, is the other people working there. Everyone is excited about getting out and doing things. There is always a community to explore and adventure with. Working is a means to an end - and REI understands that life happens outside of their four walls.
Outdoor fanatics w/extreme knowledge
Soft Sales (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2017
Understanding use, material, and applications for all outdoor recreation equipment. Inspiring each customer to “get outside and play.” Organization skills as well as an outgoing personality are a must.
Pros
paid days off
Productive and friendly environment
Mason Tender (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 13, 2017
A fast paced fun place to enjoy and work at the same time every employee shares knowledge on work related topics or issues .a place were smiles are everything to customers
Pros
Free lunch a hour lunch break
Cons
Full benefits coverage
Deservedly one of the best places to work for
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2017
One of the few places that are passionate about what they do and they do it well; to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
Pros
health care, subsidized public transit, stewardship opportunities, work with likeminded and unique individuals
Cons
sometimes you get the corporate feel in the way management handles things
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAMarch 6, 2017
I loved working for REI Warehouse. The job was fun to do and the people were great to work with. The management was very supportive and understanding. I would recommend REI to anyone.
Great relaxed atmosphere to work in
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 3, 2017
I loved working for this company because they were very laid back with our work attire since it was a outdoor store.Management down to the employees were great to work with as a team.
fun time
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 3, 2017
great place to work, great culture, fun coworkers and customers.enjoyed talking the outdoors with customers and helping outfit them properly
Pros
outdoor life
Cons
doesn't pay well
Awesome
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NJMarch 2, 2017
Love working at rei its really great love getting outside with my coworkers. The culture is awesome everyone feels the same age although the staff is a mix. Really great conversations and you meet amazing people.
Pros
Great friends information and tools to get outside great benefits
Cons
They've cut back on the employee gifts
Not a bad place to work
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 14, 2017
This company is a great place to work, but it is a bad place for any kind of advancement due to the lack of opportunities and growth in store
Pros
fun
Cons
no promotion opportunity
Great company
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJanuary 29, 2017
Rei is a great company to work for if you are an outdoors person, with at least some entry level knowledge. The co workers are great
Great place to work part time
SALES ASSOCIATE AND MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, CAJanuary 23, 2017
Great place to work part time as they are flexible with hours. Hours are highly subject to seasons. Job culture is great, surrounded by mostly great people who are dedicated to a life outdoors with a passion for helping others accomplish their goals. Management teams are generally strong while some locations lack a good management team. They can be good at running a store but while lack an ability to motivate and encourage employees to strive to be the best they can be, often due to poor coaching. Overall a great place to work but advancement without strong motivation from within is impossible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2