REI

REI Employer Reviews

Great place to work, with fun coworkers and customers
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Reading, MAJuly 29, 2014
I worked as a Customer Service Specialist and I liked it more than I thought I would. They are not scared to give you real responsibility. The managers and coworkers were great and the customers were generally pleasant. Pay is good too.
Fun Workplace with a Great Work/Life Balance
Sales Associate (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 18, 2014
Responsibilities:
• Assisted customers with equipment related questions
• Taught classes, subjects included lightweight backpacking and summer hiking
• Volunteered with outreach coordinators at public parks
• Operated cash registers, helped customers with returns and checkouts
• Facilitated bike maintenance by doing an basic assessment of work needed
 – more... Helped maintain an accurate inventory

Accomplishments:
• Nominated for the Anderson Award
• Employed during the duration of my graduate studies
• My work provided customers with much needed knowledge – less
Enjoyed learning the geo tech industry
Front desk cashier/ stock (Former Employee), Plano, TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: first time experience with a tech company. great employees and management.
Cons: had to leave for school
Really enjoyed this enviroment. Enjoyed taking soil samples and learning what was done with them.
REI
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 9, 2014
REI is a great company to work for. Opportunities for growth are very limited.
Horrific Corporate Environment
Director of Creative Strategy (Former Employee), Kent, WAJune 27, 2014
Pros: deals on gear
Cons: everything
I won't speak to working in the stores. I'm sure that's dependent on the particular store manager, but I doubt it's a good job. Considering what the corporate employees make and the cost-cutting measures going on there, kiddies, seriously, don't look to REI as a place where you will rise up from the store floor. It just ain't gonna happen.

I don't – more... know if this company ever promoted on merits, but it suffered from an old boys network of the original co-op founders for a long time. At least in that context, work/life balance and getting outside to actually use the gear was a consideration. Now, its just lip service.
This company doesnt sell stock because it's a co-op. Well, their burn rate of wasted money is pretty severe, so it's a miracle that what's coming in can even begin to cover it. However, do they look to the inefficiency of bad managers? No, of course, they look to chopping off employees who have any time and vacation accrued.

Corporate REI suffers from a rotting internal culture where the directors aren't interested in creativity, but just beating their corporate employees until good ideas come out, and then they cherry-pick those ideas, repackage them as their own, as well as ones they get from external creative houses, which they overspend on to an insane degree. They overspend on lavish parties and travel with these big-name design and architectural firms while they bleed their own employees dry. Serious ageism is going on, even though many of the corporate managers are not spring chickens, but Gen-Xers. The seriously old people are long gone. You won't make retirement at this company, no matter how much they sell you on it. Forget that.

Is this the typical corporate story? Fine. Just don't think REI is any different than Cabela's or Nordstrom's. You don't want a job in retail, period. Get a skill that puts you in the driver's seat, because you won't get trained in anything at REI that doesn't put you into another horrific retail environment where margins are thin. They will work you to the bone doing the most inane tasks. – less
Inspire; Educate; Outfit; Lifetime of outdoor adventure.
Operations (Former Employee), Tigard, ORJune 12, 2014
Pros: no comment.
Cons: no comment.
A retirement plan that doesn't require individual contributions.
Health-care benefits, including part-time employees who work 20 or more hours.
Gear discounts and free gear rentals.
Encouragement of work/life balance.
Outdoor-focused culture that encourages outdoor activity as an extension of our business.
Camaraderie, open communication and opportunity – more... for advancement.
Gear grants to take on personal outdoor challenges.
Community involvement and support for outdoor-focused clubs and non-profit organizations.
Incentive pay program. – less
A great place for Bed-Wetting Liberals to work...part-time.
Sales / Bicycles (Former Employee), Kennesaw, GAJune 3, 2014
Pros: get to hang with other liberals
Cons: will not last long if you are not.....
First, the training there is weak. Secondly, they ask for you not to talk POLITICS at work. Third, Spring is a hiring season for REI....Summer creates lay-off's.

I worked at the Kennesaw store. I kept my mouth shut when my Manager and General Manager stated talked about how great Obama was, and the Free Health Care we where going to get.
I said nothing. – more... Because of this.....I was FIRED after 4 weeks!!!

You love it if you are a liberal, lazy, environmentalist who wants to work part-time – less
Great place to work for hourly employees
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee), Cary, NCApril 30, 2014
Pros: great deals on gear. they make it easy to take care of the customer.
Cons: low compensation. short lunches.
This company has some of the best customers in all of retail. All of the customers are happy to be there and often are looking to start a new adventure. They want advice without a big sales pitch and that is what they get.
The staff at an REI store are probably some of the most over-qualified people that you could ever meet. The person helping you fit – more... a new backpack could be the former Pacific Rim Manager of a national company, or they could be working on their Phd. at a local university.
All are highly trained and service minded. – less
great work life balance
Sales Associate/ Customer Service (Current Employee), Kent, WAApril 27, 2014
Pros: prodeals, discounts, culture
Cons: advancment potenial in some departments
Great place to work, in the right department
not all departments have to promtions
Still the best job environment in retail
LEAD SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 10, 2014
Great co-workers, employee discounts, relatively flexible work schedule, fantastic health/vision/dental benefits for 20 plus hours/week employees, generally the best customers in retail too. Generally good work/life balance, even managers aren't supposed to work more than 40 hours per week.
The best people and work environment around!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), San Carlos, CAApril 7, 2014
Pros: managers week to cook dinner
Cons: never the same schedule
Always a fun place to work and the customers are happy to see you. As long as you like people and working in a service type of environment you can't go wrong working at REI. The pay and compensation packet are one of the better ones around and they are always looking for fun outgoing people.
Fast paced and fun
Customer Service / Cashiering (Former Employee), Lynnwood, WAApril 4, 2014
Pros: proximity to panera
Cons: few random hours
I would get to work at least half an hour early, and chill in the breakroom till it was time to clock in, then i would don my apron, head down to the front line, and begin my cashiering duties, helping people and meeting strangers. Whenever i had downtime, i would restock bags, the candies up front, and items in the immediate area of the checkout zone. – more... My coworkers were great, very helpful whenever i had questions, and were great company. The hardest part was handling checks, it only happened a couple of times though. – less
fun place
Photographer (Current Employee), Kent, WAMarch 29, 2014
love to work with great people in a relax friendly and very creative environment..
Great company to work for!
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 10, 2014
The company really does care about your well being, as demonstrated through the management techniques. We are encouraged to coach each other and communicate any issues - even to managers above us.

Everyone's passion for the outdoors is great to be around and the mission of the co-op is easy to communicate to all of the patrons.
The best place to work for the outdoor enthusiast!
Customer Service (Current Employee), Lakewood, COFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: great company benefits and outstanding staff
Cons: never enough hours to be considered financially stable
REI has been a gift of jobs. It's an absolute toy store for adults who like to hike, camp, paddle, climb, ski, and more!. One thing I appreciate greatly is the effort the management staff put into their jobs. It is one of the more efficiently running businesses I have had a pleasure to be apart of. The general staff are all very well educated and experienced – more... in their own professionals and like to work at REI for the customer experience. This has been one of the most rewarding jobs in my past because of the many opportunities available to engage in someone else's personal life in the outdoors and share knowledge of the backcountry. – less
Disheartening
Sale Specialist (Former Employee), Perimeter Store, Atlanta, Ga.January 25, 2014
Pros: quality ideals set forth in the corporate mission.
Cons: poor training, lousy scheduling.
I worked for REI for 5 months. My training was minimal compared to what I truly needed to know about the store's operation. My schedule was erratic, ranging from 25 hrs/wk to as low as 4 hrs/wk. Most weeks involved about 10-14 hrs, which was insufficient to learn and keep up with the store's ever-changing environment. Due to the inconsistent scheduling – more... I was unable to acquire another needed part-time job to balance things out. Finally, as I was looking at the schedule on the store's bulletin board, the manager casually walked by and said "You won't be on next week's schedule". I was shocked, dumb-founded. Why? "That's it", she said, and walked away. No explanation. I was a hardworking, punctual, professional team player that always gave 100+%. REI was the ONLY place I had wanted to build a new career. My co-workers were shocked at my treatment. Stone cold, inefficient management. – less
Best employer ever
Cashier, sales, inventory, banker (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILJanuary 18, 2014
REI is a retail establishment that sells equipment to help people get active in the outdoors. A typical day was helping members and potential members of the REI co-op find the right equipment for their outdoor adventures. While employed there, I did everything from cashiering to sales, inventory to banking. I learned so much about merchandising and – more... working there even helped me to get more active. All the managers I had there were great. They truly lead by example. Most of my co-workers were also hard-working and helpful. The hardest part of the job was accepting REI's return policy, which many people abused. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people get out in nature. By far, REI has been the best employer I've ever had. The liberal employee discount and other perks were great! There are many reasons why REI has consistently been voted one of America's 100 best places to work! – less
Fun place to work with mediocre management and advancement opportunities
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, excellent opportunities for good gear deals, great customer service experience
Cons: wildly varying schedule, low pay, inconsistent hours, some managers were difficult to work with
The company is an excellent company with an enjoyable group of coworkers. Working here allowed me to balance my work and life schedules well and provided me excellent benefits in terms of gear procurement for personal use. Despite the positive atmosphere created by my fellow employees, the job was not satisfactory due to wildly varying hours based on – more... inconsistent scheduling.

The most enjoyable part of my job was assessing customer needs and providing them excellent service in finding the product that would match their needs and satisfy them. Receiving positive feedback from customers after they extensively used their gear was always exciting.

The hardest part of the job was not knowing what your weekly schedule would be until a few days before the week began and the hours varying greatly from week to week. – less
Professional and fun place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 17, 2014
REI embodies the best of the values of service, hard work, stewardship, and work/life balance. My co-workers were all highly professional, and our management was effective and caring. REI taught me a lot about the outdoors; what it means to truly live customer service; and how to grow in an organization.
Great Second Job
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Plano, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: employees are well taken care of in terms of benefits, pro deal savings, relaxed place to work, great people all around
Cons: meager pay, wildly varying hours, lack of challenges
REI is a wonderful place to work as long as that work is not your primary way of paying the bills. From the fellow employees to the customer 99.9% of the interactions remind you why you're there (its not the measly paycheck). Remarkable pro deal savings on a lot of the stuff you'd love to have, but that does eat away at your take home too. Hours vary – more... greatly and further enhances it's second job persona. While REI is currently going through some larger-scale changes, it remains a retail workplace for those who want to enjoy coming to work everyday. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About REI

REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. – Read more