REI Employee Reviews

Diverse and fulfilling workplace
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2016
Clearly understood daily goals and business needs that taught me what a typical retail business needs on the operations side to maintain a successful business presence. The hardest part of the job was balancing excellent customer service with fulfilling the back-end needs of the store.
Pros
Great work culture and knowledgeable staff.
Cons
Inconsistent communication from managers.
Was a fun and productive workplace
Sales Associate/Stock Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CADecember 2, 2016
REI was my longest job I ever had (6 years I worked there). I used to start my day by organizing and folding some clothes, used to stock some items/replenish some merchandises on the sales floor from the stock room. I enjoyed stocking and working in as a team, and recovery work too! Everyone was nice and friendly with me, I used to work like once or twice a week, used to be 3 times a week in the beginning though. I learned a lot about different kinds of outdoor sport stuff, and items that everyone uses there.
Pros
friendly co workers, stocking and team work
Cons
low paid/wages, not enough hours though
Challenging environment wanting to be on the cutting edge
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 26, 2016
REI is transitioning to agile methodology for all business; software development, project / program management and corporate planning and management. All work is managed by either a scrum or Kanban board. There is little documentation, constant changing of direction, insecure staff, and little flexibility to evaluate what this change is doing to the company and the employees.The hardest part of my job is requiring others to follow the rules, processes and procedures, while management does not. Most of the employees are a complete joy to work with.
Pros
Very diverse culture, accepting of all
Cons
One track mind; inflexible; low pay
excellent place to work.
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PANovember 3, 2016
The coworkers and mangers are very friendly there, a good way to learn factory work, very clean and safe environment. I work as a packer and you have to be fast, its a very fast steady pace..love it
Awesome, progressive CEO
Supply Chain Policy and Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 21, 2016
Excellent vision from senior leadership (CEO), Lots of amazing and collaborative people, great pro-deals. Slow paced environment, engrained culture resistant to and threatened by change.
good place to work
Manager - Outdoor Programs New England (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAOctober 8, 2016
good place to work. i enjoyed my experience there and would recommend to a friend. I think it is good for part time outdoorsmen and outdoors women to work as a sales associated. As a manager, having time on the weekends would be a critical piece.
Productive and supportive workplace.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 26, 2016
I enjoy my job as a Customer Service Specialist at REI. I have gained great experience during my time here, but a greater intellectual challenge is my goal.
Great Place for Outdoor Enthusiast
Part-time Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 25, 2016
REI is a great job for any outdoor enthusiast.
It has very flexible work schedules to accommodate all types of outdoor activities. You can get a day off to participate in a mountain bike race. You can also get several months off to hike the Appalachian Trail. It understands that the more time employees spend outside the better sales associates they are.
Pros
Great benefits & work / life balance
Cons
low wages; little opportunity for advancement
Love the outdoors?
Bicycle and Ski Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2016
Take it for what it is--this is retail. If you're working in a store, you're not going to earn much money, and your schedule is not predictable. You will work with great people who care about you and will hold you accountable to do solid work.

There's opportunity for promotion, but it seems challenging to move out of the retail environment.

The bike shop is a great place to work.

If you love the outdoors and want a very flexible work schedule, this is a great place to be.
Pros
Benefits for all employees, great gear discounts, good coworkers
Cons
Most of the cons that accompany working in retail are present
Outdoors department store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 14, 2016
Gives you a great look into the understanding of the outdoors as well as the necessary equipment needed in certain outdoor activities. The one thing that made little sense to me was the quotes that employees had to meet for membership sales; it made a job that would have been informational and enjoyable but instead cut-throat and stressful.
The people there were mostly friendly and helpful and knowledge of not only just product but also location where you could partake in outdoor activities. Always had fun events for customers and employees as well as classes for outdoor activites
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 14, 2016
But benefits and consideration for advancement are pretty minimal, with only two sales lead positions open that get full time and full benefits.
Productive workplace but lacks room for growth
Configuration Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 25, 2016
REI is a productive work place, with professional employees from top to bottom. There is no micro-managment, everybody goes about their business and report to the managers during the daily scrum meetings in the morning.

REI has little room for growth though especially if one has high expectations and is willing to learn and ehnace their skill sets to the next level.
Coworkers make this job great.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 22, 2016
Order picking (the job I started in) is basically, pushing a cart, counting product and putting it in a tub. Your real job is being fast and being accurate.
The management hardly dealt with laborers unless something very good happened or something very bad happened.
The hardest part of the job was scheduling. We had broken schedules most of the time and during sales, we had to word a lot of weekends. Which makes "work life balance" not work.
The best part of working at REI is your coworker. Most everyone you may encounter is willing to do their job with the best possible attitude. That (in turn) brings out the best possible you.
Pros
Benefits. Perks (Prodeals)
Cons
Poor scheduling. Little room for advancement.
Pretty Good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 17, 2016
There are positives and negatives to any job. REI has a pretty upbeat environment and decent pay for an entry level position. Overall it could be better but it could be a lot worse.
Pros
Pay, Time off, environment
Cons
Difficult Manager
A fun work environment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 12, 2016
I've only been there a year and a half and i have learned so much being there.I work in all departments except one my co-workers are great the hardest part of my job is nothing one thing that sucks is the pay isn't that great and they don't offer full time.
Pros
Great people to work with friendly customers.
Cons
Wages are not the greatest and they do not offer full time.
An amazing place to work
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 9, 2016
REI is an amazing co-op. The company actually looks out for its employees and wants them to live the work-life balance that they want.
Productive place
Associate Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 21, 2016
Very friendly co-workers, friendly environment, management is very respectful.
If you are new to the work assigned to you, it may take you some time to get used to it, and if you need assistance your co-workers, or your manager are there to assist you immediately.
Pros
Free bagel on Fridays
Cons
First floor is very cold
Fun environment with productive tasks
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 13, 2016
Everyday working at REI is fairly enjoyable. I've advanced since being there for 10 months, but management is the only thing lacking in this Boise store. Promoting the wrong people for the specific job type is disappointing. I was expecting more when I started there. Other than the obvious downfall, I love what I do every day at REI. Customers are fun to talk to, and I always feel like I'm getting something done. I've learned at this job that perseverance is key and one bad day at work isn't the end of the world. There's always room for improvement. Overall, everything is enjoyable and I would recommend anyone to work at REI.
Fast paced environment with lots of advancement oportunities.
Sales Specialist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDJune 29, 2016
It's a retail job. The only good part about it is that you can share your outdoor stories with customers that actually can learn from you.
Pros
Pro-deals, friendly staff, surronded by outdoorsy people
Cons
retail, busy customers, rude customers, CUSTOMERS
Fun work environment
sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2016
I really enjoy working at REI. Talking with customers about up and coming adventures and gear and preparing them for their trips is a blast. The people I work with feel like family. Managers go out of their way to make sure you are getting the hours you need and that your schedule can be accommodated.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
benefits only available to full time employees (managers)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3