REI Employee Reviews

Outdoor fanatics w/extreme knowledge
Soft Sales (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2017
Understanding use, material, and applications for all outdoor recreation equipment. Inspiring each customer to “get outside and play.” Organization skills as well as an outgoing personality are a must.
Pros
paid days off
Productive and friendly environment
Mason Tender (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 13, 2017
A fast paced fun place to enjoy and work at the same time every employee shares knowledge on work related topics or issues .a place were smiles are everything to customers
Pros
Free lunch a hour lunch break
Cons
Full benefits coverage
Deservedly one of the best places to work for
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2017
One of the few places that are passionate about what they do and they do it well; to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
Pros
health care, subsidized public transit, stewardship opportunities, work with likeminded and unique individuals
Cons
sometimes you get the corporate feel in the way management handles things
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAMarch 6, 2017
I loved working for REI Warehouse. The job was fun to do and the people were great to work with. The management was very supportive and understanding. I would recommend REI to anyone.
Great relaxed atmosphere to work in
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 3, 2017
I loved working for this company because they were very laid back with our work attire since it was a outdoor store.Management down to the employees were great to work with as a team.
fun time
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 3, 2017
great place to work, great culture, fun coworkers and customers.enjoyed talking the outdoors with customers and helping outfit them properly
Pros
outdoor life
Cons
doesn't pay well
Awesome
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NJMarch 2, 2017
Love working at rei its really great love getting outside with my coworkers. The culture is awesome everyone feels the same age although the staff is a mix. Really great conversations and you meet amazing people.
Pros
Great friends information and tools to get outside great benefits
Cons
They've cut back on the employee gifts
Not a bad place to work
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 14, 2017
This company is a great place to work, but it is a bad place for any kind of advancement due to the lack of opportunities and growth in store
Pros
fun
Cons
no promotion opportunity
Great company
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJanuary 29, 2017
Rei is a great company to work for if you are an outdoors person, with at least some entry level knowledge. The co workers are great
Great place to work part time
SALES ASSOCIATE AND MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, CAJanuary 23, 2017
Great place to work part time as they are flexible with hours. Hours are highly subject to seasons. Job culture is great, surrounded by mostly great people who are dedicated to a life outdoors with a passion for helping others accomplish their goals. Management teams are generally strong while some locations lack a good management team. They can be good at running a store but while lack an ability to motivate and encourage employees to strive to be the best they can be, often due to poor coaching. Overall a great place to work but advancement without strong motivation from within is impossible.
Fun and caring company and workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJanuary 22, 2017
REI's values radiate throughout the workplace and culture. All employees care deeply about the customers and making sure that they get what they want so they can do what they want out in nature.
Great breaks and people to work with
Sorter/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAJanuary 13, 2017
Alot of walking and putting away merchandise,long and tiring,but in a good way,learned how to multi-task other jobs.Learn to have other ways of doing my job easier and faster, The management was great if u need help,or need to talk abount anything work or not work related there door was always open day or night.They were there for the people with no judgement. Loved my co-workers got along with everyone,they would help you out wether you need it or not,Great bunch of people.Wasn't really a hard job,except watching all the boxes coming up the conveyor belts,lots of product to put away,but I loved my job.I always finished work before the next shift arrived.The communication and caring for other people,the help,and support that the company and people give you.Lunch time, nd knowing that my jod is done and I can go home to my family.REI was a great place to work for.
Pros
Free Birthday lunches, Christmas Party, gave out vouchers for the holidays
Cons
really didn't have any
Its ok
Machine Operator/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAJanuary 4, 2017
The employees are mostly cool.
Procedures change very often and then change back.
Most of the leads and supervisors sit around in the office.
They have a nice cafe.
Time off is pretty easy to get.
REI Sales Specialist
REI, Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 19, 2016
This is a good part time job. It gives you some benefits and offers great prodeals. You will also work with some of the best enthusiastic people one can meet. The pay is poor and the job gets very repetitive.
Pros
Prodeals
Cons
pay
The best retail job out there
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 15, 2016
I absolutely loved working here. If you have any interest in outdoor activities (camping, backpacking, rock climbing, mountain biking, snowboarding/skiing, etc) I doubt there are better places to work at, as far as entry-level jobs go.
Diverse and fulfilling workplace
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2016
Clearly understood daily goals and business needs that taught me what a typical retail business needs on the operations side to maintain a successful business presence. The hardest part of the job was balancing excellent customer service with fulfilling the back-end needs of the store.
Pros
Great work culture and knowledgeable staff.
Cons
Inconsistent communication from managers.
Was a fun and productive workplace
Sales Associate/Stock Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CADecember 2, 2016
REI was my longest job I ever had (6 years I worked there). I used to start my day by organizing and folding some clothes, used to stock some items/replenish some merchandises on the sales floor from the stock room. I enjoyed stocking and working in as a team, and recovery work too! Everyone was nice and friendly with me, I used to work like once or twice a week, used to be 3 times a week in the beginning though. I learned a lot about different kinds of outdoor sport stuff, and items that everyone uses there.
Pros
friendly co workers, stocking and team work
Cons
low paid/wages, not enough hours though
Challenging environment wanting to be on the cutting edge
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 26, 2016
REI is transitioning to agile methodology for all business; software development, project / program management and corporate planning and management. All work is managed by either a scrum or Kanban board. There is little documentation, constant changing of direction, insecure staff, and little flexibility to evaluate what this change is doing to the company and the employees.The hardest part of my job is requiring others to follow the rules, processes and procedures, while management does not. Most of the employees are a complete joy to work with.
Pros
Very diverse culture, accepting of all
Cons
One track mind; inflexible; low pay
excellent place to work.
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PANovember 3, 2016
The coworkers and mangers are very friendly there, a good way to learn factory work, very clean and safe environment. I work as a packer and you have to be fast, its a very fast steady pace..love it
Awesome, progressive CEO
Supply Chain Policy and Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 21, 2016
Excellent vision from senior leadership (CEO), Lots of amazing and collaborative people, great pro-deals. Slow paced environment, engrained culture resistant to and threatened by change.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3