REI Employee Reviews

low pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJanuary 15, 2016
$10.30 is unreasonably low for such a large profitable corporation. No one in the company should be forced to live below the poverty line while bragging about company profits.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
pay.
Enjoyed working at this facility on a temporary assignment.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 6, 2016
I enjoyed this work assignment. Would love to work at this company to advance my knowledge, skills & be financially sound.
Pros
Work hours.
Cons
Weather - worked outside.
great job for anyone who loves the outdoors
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 5, 2016
great co worker and management to help do your job and and do it the right way. they give you all the training you need to get started and its up to you to dedicate yourself to learn the product so you can sell it to the customer
Fun environment with nature lovers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 29, 2015
A typical day at work would be to go in, interact with customers, help them to figure out what they need for their adventure, connect with them. I learned that despite the bad days, there is always something to smile about because everybody is there because they love the outdoors. Management is great and always understanding of circumstances and can adjust to difficult situations all the time, especially being that the Anchorage location is in a sort of sketchy place in town. Co-workers are always just as enthused about outdoors as you are, there are non-stop conversations about what the next big adventure will be. Hardest part of the job was the fact that you needed memberships to gain hours, which isn't at all hard to do if you get your sales routine down and just promote it! They won't always buy it, but if you keep telling them about it, maybe someday they will. The most enjoyable part of the job is that there are paid days off four times a year for something called a "yay-day". Employees get a paid day off to get into the outdoors and do something they enjoy. It's a pretty awesome place to work and customers were almost always cool because they were always excited for adventure and there were a bunch of people from out of state/country that came in which is pretty cool.
Pros
Constant break room parties, discounts, etc.
Cons
Short lunches, sales goal, etc.
A coop and fun place to work with excellent benefits
Lead Pressman (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WADecember 11, 2015
Being top dog in the printing department was nice, also each year they had a sale for employees only that was $.10 on the $1.00.
Pros
profit sharing health insurance
Enjoyable work environment.
sales specialist (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORDecember 9, 2015
Working at REI was very fun for me to say the least, the only job i have not dreaded work. I worked as a Sales Specialist, just a glorified membership seller honestly. Odd management strategies within the company seems to be regular and expected by veteran Sales Leads. I was once told by my manager that i was fired and he sent out an email to all other managers that i would not be working in 2 weeks. But in the same sentence he said he had changed his mind and to talk to him in 2 weeks about my standing. Spent the 5 months working with REI in a limbo of my job status. Some management was great but others were horrid, none were mean though. I had the most memberships sold out of all the new hires in my group and top 5 of all store employees for the time i was there. Also received many customer compliments and emails on my customer service. Loved my coworkers and Sales Leads. Even a few of the managers. Not a good job if you want money and hours, although my fellow sales employees warned me straight off about the lack of hours.

Too much focus on memberships drove me to not care about selling them and to focus on helping customers. This lead partially to my firing at REI.

It was not all bad though. Pay is decent, benefits were decent, lots of discounts on gear, excellent co workers.

Warehouse is always messy and computers are "primitive". hours are reckless, and inconsistent. Management is erratic, too much focus on memberships.
Pros
Gear deals, coworkers, laid back environment, enjoyable job, interesting customers
Cons
Management, organization, computers, scheduling, memberships
Fun!
Gear Tester/Advisory panel member (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 6, 2015
How can it be work when it is your hobby!? Test gear participating hiking and provide feedback on it. It's a win win situation! I get to test things, give feedback to make it better and keep it!
Solid Retail Establishment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 3, 2015
Good place to work with a strong management staff. Some confusing policy about just how important numbers are to your performance metrics. I think they really want it to not be important but it still really is. I love helping customers with their needs and enjoy working with my colleagues. There is a large number of employees which makes knowing everyone a little difficult but over all it's a retail establishment. Lots of variety to break up the same old thing.
Pros
Skilled management, engaging environment, benefits
Cons
Flip flopping policy, Retail politics
Great Place to work
REI Sales Associate Trained in all Departments (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 1, 2015
Awesome benefits, fun and exciting work environment, great co-workers, wonderful businesses model! Amazing just Great!!!!!
Love it
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 11, 2015
The culture is great the people are great. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Always put your best foot forward. Good breaks. The company really cares. the largest retail co-op in the country.
Pros
good breaks, gear discount
Fun work environment with good people
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WANovember 6, 2015
Good place to work. Provided sales and product training. Great customer service expectations. My only issue was the pay was very low starting out and since It was only a temporary position, I had no opportunity to move up.
Enthusiastic, motivating workplace with excellent teamwork
Action Sports Specialist/Cashier/Rock Wall Guide (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 27, 2015
REI has been known for it's phenomenal workplace environment and management. The employees are well taken care of and are genuinely enthusiastic about helping customers as a result. The environment encourages teamwork and personal growth and fosters community life.
Perfect for the Time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 20, 2015
I worked at REI in college, and it was perfect for me. My coworkers were all smart and active people, our management was the same way. I made life-long friends from this job. The hardest part about working here was the expectation of selling memberships, and that is all you got rewarded for.
Pros
Work-life balance, co workers
Cons
variable schedules, selling memberships
Ok
Roanoke Service Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 15, 2015
This is a good place to work if you want a relaxed atmosphere. But if you need a paycheck and not to work long hours, it's not for you. Th management is also very cliche.
the most enjoyable job I have ever had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2015
Fun place to work. Great education available for all hobbies and interests. They actively take care of the local community. Flexible working hours. The customers are members of the COOP and get the benefits of shopping there too.
Pros
Discounts, benefits, free classes, free rental of equipment, fun place to work, very diverse team
Cons
working weekends when its gorgeous outside
Strong advocates of having a positive work/life balance
Visual Presentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAOctober 9, 2015
I enjoyed going to work everyday. The management team and staff were all terrific. I would have to say it is the best company I have ever worked for as far as positive development and also the mission statement of the company itself.
I wish I would have been able to transfer to another location within the company when I moved to North Carolina but the commute would have been too far.
Fun staff; hard workers. Environmentally friendly.
Picker (Current Employee) –  Bedford, PAOctober 8, 2015
Used Wrist Gladiator to pick orders from designated work areas. Learned to solve inventory issues. Competant management. Popsicle rewards. Satisfying.
Great Company
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  FraminghamOctober 1, 2015
I loved working for this company, every one of my coworkers had a positive mentality, and were committed to being apart of the growth of the company. Coworkers were also always willing to assist others and they all had a genuine character themselves.
Amazing, fun, motivating
Customer service/cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 17, 2015
I loved working at REI simply because of the environment. I was able to help people who were shopping for their passions. The management was great and very good at making their employees feel motivated and striving to be better.I felt like the management really cared for me and everyone was extremely friendly.
Pros
Hour lunch break, benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive fun outgoing work environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 16, 2015
The people there are all extremely friendly and team oriented. They love the outdoors and really look out for their employees. I had a really great time working for REI.