REI

REI Employee Reviews

Work/Life Balance for All!
Records Clerk (Current Employee), Sumner, WAJune 26, 2015
Pros: Growth from within, benefits
Cons: Short breaks, "wheels turn slowly"
REI, whether you are at HQ, retail or a DC, promotes and prives a great work/life balance. They offer benefits, including health insurance and a ProDeal program with vendors, to ALL employees. I didn't personally try to climb the rungs, but REI values internal promotion and fosters your skills for leadership if so desired. They are a little behind the times when it comes to certain technologies, but overall I loved working for REI and I lament having to leave!
REI
Sales Associate (Former Employee), NYJune 26, 2015
Pros: Discounted gear.
Cons: If you did'nt sell memberships your hour got cut.
A day at REI. First thing is a meeting before the doors open. Then proceed to the sales floor. As the customer walks in, you must approach them and ask them if their a member. If not then you try to sell them one. Hardest part is dealing with the management that you told you couldn't work Sundays but the still put you on. Then its your job to get someone to cover for you. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the merchandise.
Great company, not the best co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fremont, CAJune 22, 2015
Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers Great company, not the best co workers
Workplace was a petri dish of good vibes
Customer Service (Former Employee), Sandy, UTMay 31, 2015
Pros: Employee discount; Prodeals; Surrounded by people who do what you do
Cons: None
There is nothing better than working with people who share your passion for the outdoors and the outdoor lifestyle. Everyone was willing to share their knowledge freely. We were always trying to coordinate outdoor activities together such as bike rides and climbs. The staff of REI Sandy will forever be my friends.
Good benefits, good culture
Manager, (Former Employee), Kent, WAMay 16, 2015
Good benefits good culture. But competitors are making the culture a little more anxious. New leadership is bringing in new ideas. Some are good, some require change.
Fun Great place
Picker (Former Employee), Sumner, WAMay 7, 2015
Great college atmosphere great fun and cool workers. Good advancement but work sometimes is seasonal. Work peaks during winter
I like REI
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Excellent group of people
Cons: Pay
It's not really enough on its own, though. If you're looking to make a living and excel in life, this probably isn't the best thing but they do have a decent job culture and management does listen.

But, if you love camping and are passionate about getting outside and encouraging an array of people to do the same, then I say go for it. One thing I've always loved about REI, and always will, is they are not openly hostile towards women who enjoy getting dirty and camping.

Product-wise: they need work. I know I just said they are not hostile toward women but they don't seem to have a lot for plus-size women to get started in the hiking or cycling sports. This needs to be addressed and I've said as much.

Co-worker are AMAZING. I love these people and we have our differences but you have common ground with a great deal of them from the get go.

The most enjoyable part is just being able to talk to people about camping. Just sharing my experiences out in the Mojave or on the plains is very satisfying.
Awesome Place to work
Seasonal Temporary (Former Employee), Sumner, WAApril 21, 2015
If i could have stated full time wih REI I would have for ever. The company as a whole is what i am all about. They are amazing there and the ethics of the company are thru the roof. They may be a large company now but the y still have that mom and pop feel to them which is a huge plus. they care about their employees as well as caring about the environment around them and preserving it.
Great place to start a career
Sales Lead (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAApril 20, 2015
Being able to assist clients in purchasing products to enjoy the outdoors

being around like minded outdoor enthusiasts sharing each others experiences made me want to come to work
loving and caring hard working people
Sale Associate (Former Employee), California, TustinApril 7, 2015
first I would go to break get my vest and my name tag and then I would clock in. Then I would got stock room grab my clip board to see how many items we have if see the order on that item I would order of that particular item. I learned to custom service, organize, stock,. Management is on point they know what there doing they help there employees if needed help. They know communicate very well. The co-workers knows what there doing and gets the job done on time. the hardest part of the job is custom service. the most enjoyable job is stocking
Great fun place to work.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Olympia, WAApril 2, 2015
Pros: Great Discounts
Cons: Salary
I spent most of my days helping customers find their outdoor needs. Management took interest in what I wanted to get out of working at REI. Co-workers were the best part. Always fun and exciting to work with. There wasn't anything really to difficult to do. The most enjoyable part was getting outside as a team and hike together.
Great company to work for
Sales Lead (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 29, 2015
REI cares about the employees. REI offers great benefits and is a great place to work if you love the outdoors. Great work life balance and a great company to work for.
People who have a passion for the outdoors
Sales/ Customer Service Desk (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: positive work environment, great employees and management, employee sales and discounts
When I started at REI, I was in the shoe department. Fun place to start. Learning how to correctly fit a shoe or boot. Helping the customer find the appropriate shoe or boot to the activity that they were going to do. Learned about all the different technical designs of footwear and clothing that was available in the store.
Management was great. We would have product knowledge classes and management would be right beside us learning about all the new things.
The people I worked with were awesome. Everyone loved the outdoors, so they had a real passion for what they were selling. They would recommend places to hike, bike and other activities to members because they had done the same sports as the customers.
After shoes I was moved to the Customer Service desk. There I dealt with sales, returns and REI memberships. REI is a co-op. What made that position gratifying was when a customer would thank you for being patient and helpful.
Outstanding work culture.
Cashier/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Henderson, NVMarch 10, 2015
Pros: great discounts, work environment, clientel, co workers
Cons: difficult to acquire a lot of weekly hours.
Work day is easy-going, and low stress. Fellow employees are friendly and mesh well with new employees and the management team. Every day is an opportunity to learn something new about out door activities, and to enhance product knowledge.
Records Clerk for Facilities (Current Employee), Bedford, PAMarch 9, 2015
great co-workers are important
i have expanded my skills working at REI in hopes to advance in the company
i have learned alot about Safety and Recycling by being on committee's
Great work environment
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 4, 2015
Pros: discounts, health care
Cons: retail hours
REI is a great place to work. The majority of the day is spent with customers with a passion for the outdoors. The other time spent at REI during stocking hours are visual updates and re-merchandising product. At REI I was able to grow my customer service skill set. Health care for part time employees. Discounts on cool gear. REI is a great place to work.
Highly desirable employer
Visual Coordinator and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 3, 2015
REI is consistently on Fortune's list of the top 100 companies to work for, and one of only 10 companies to be on the list since its inception. REI is supportive and provides great benefits to its employees.
customer service
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJanuary 22, 2015
sales on tech gear for the outdoors\
greet customers
make transactions
Cheerful Environment with Great People
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great people, great gear, supportive culture
Cons: retail hours, weekends and nights
REI is a great company to work for. They really support work life balance and the people you work with are amazing. It's great that you can transfer to different stores fairly easily to experience new cities. Everyone that works there has a passion for the outdoors and a cheerful disposition.
Lots of one-on-one interactions
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Bend, ORDecember 22, 2014
If you want a job that allows you to interact with lots of people on a daily basis, this is for you. As a retail job goes, this one is good. They treat their employees fairly and believe in a true work-life balance.

1 2 3 4 5

About REI

REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. – Read more

REI Salaries