REI Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work, not great pay
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 1, 2016
I am a sales Lead at REI (first promotion). The pay is not enough to live comfortably. I am currently working 2 jobs for roughly 60 hours per week to make sure I can pay my bills. I do receive benefits since I am full time (32-40 hrs/week), which are nice. I also receive 401(k) with profit sharing and Summit Pay. Summit Pay is a bonus that everyone gets depending on how well the store/market did.
Pros
DISCOUNTS, work culture, co-workers
Cons
Pay, some overnight shifts with no shift-diff pay
Solid Retail Establishment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 3, 2015
Good place to work with a strong management staff. Some confusing policy about just how important numbers are to your performance metrics. I think they really want it to not be important but it still really is. I love helping customers with their needs and enjoy working with my colleagues. There is a large number of employees which makes knowing everyone a little difficult but over all it's a retail establishment. Lots of variety to break up the same old thing.
Pros
Skilled management, engaging environment, benefits
Cons
Flip flopping policy, Retail politics
Fantastic, retail experience. Highly recommended.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJMarch 2, 2016
There's always something to do and the customers are fun. My store had and continues to have tremendous leadership and co-workers. There is support available if a person wants a career with REI, no matter the division. Pay is good for retail although hours may be limited for anyone less than a stellar performer (which is expected, so perform)
Pros
Culture, perks, people, activities, customers
Cons
May not be sustainable full time or interesting in the long term.
Supportive work environment
Sales Associate, Bicycle Technician (Current Employee) –  Lutherville-Timonium, MDAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at work includes an opening huddle, answering customer questions about products and services, helping define the customer's wants and needs into the best possible product for them, a half hour lunch break with two intermittent 15 minutes break per 8 hourr shift. I have learned so much about interacting with the customer and discovering their needs. Management is very helpful in training and support. Co-workers are friendly and interpersonal competition is minimal. The hardest part of my job is effectively managing time on less busy days. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting people excited about the outdoors, and telling them about the benefits of membership.
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
Too few hours available
Easy going work place, friendly coworkers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAFebruary 29, 2016
I worked at REI seasonally from anywhere 4am-2pm. A typical day would start by answering phones and placing orders from customers. I learned how to manage multiple screens, and transferring phone calls to different departments. The management was very easy going, and very helpful. The coworkers I met there in those short months were some of the best, and funniest people I've ever met. The hardest part of working in a call center was dealing with rude customers over the phone. It is easier to be rude when you can't see the face of who you're talking to. The best part of the job was getting inspirational, motivational calls.
Pros
OT was approved most of the time.
Cons
Selling credit cards.
Fun and Encouraging Work Place
REI Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 9, 2016
Every day I worked was a new learning experience. My coworkers were always helpful and management answered any questions I had. I gained product knowledge and learned more about the outdoors. The hardest part of the job was continually retaining and learning about products and where they were in the store, because displays were continually changing. However, being able to share my knowledge and experience with others and help them find what they needed for their adventure was extremely rewarding.
Pros
flexible breaks, great environment, passionate employees
Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MDFebruary 24, 2016
Great work place with fun people. The work life balance is awesome management really cares about the team. the hardest part is going home .
Leader in Outdoor Industry
Category Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 11, 2015
Category Merchandise Manager: A driven Merchant with focus on delivering results. Excellent track record in career development of direct reports. Balanced approach to business that includes strategic vision supported with sound business analysis. Recognized as a partner and leader among peer and vendor communities. Quickly able to identify emerging trends and work with key stakeholders to capitalize on business potential and take calculated risks. Hold myself to the highest level of accountability to share a vision and bring others along towards common goals. Very strong Merchant background in Multi-Channel including Direct and Brick & Mortar, Hardgoods and Softgoods, Private Label, National Brand Vendors, as well as seek out and incubate new/emerging brands or products. Including developing business bottoms up and top down including owning, building, driving, and executing strategic business plan
Pros
Drive and own your business. Work over lapped with outdoor lifestyle
Cons
Work Life Balance and changing culture
Enjoyable work environment.
sales specialist (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORDecember 9, 2015
Working at REI was very fun for me to say the least, the only job i have not dreaded work. I worked as a Sales Specialist, just a glorified membership seller honestly. Odd management strategies within the company seems to be regular and expected by veteran Sales Leads. I was once told by my manager that i was fired and he sent out an email to all other managers that i would not be working in 2 weeks. But in the same sentence he said he had changed his mind and to talk to him in 2 weeks about my standing. Spent the 5 months working with REI in a limbo of my job status. Some management was great but others were horrid, none were mean though. I had the most memberships sold out of all the new hires in my group and top 5 of all store employees for the time i was there. Also received many customer compliments and emails on my customer service. Loved my coworkers and Sales Leads. Even a few of the managers. Not a good job if you want money and hours, although my fellow sales employees warned me straight off about the lack of hours.

Too much focus on memberships drove me to not care about selling them and to focus on helping customers. This lead partially to my firing at REI.

It was not all bad though. Pay is decent, benefits were decent, lots of discounts on gear, excellent co workers.

Warehouse is always messy and computers are "primitive". hours are reckless, and inconsistent. Management is erratic, too much focus on memberships.
Pros
Gear deals, coworkers, laid back environment, enjoyable job, interesting customers
Cons
Management, organization, computers, scheduling, memberships
Great place to work and the perks were awesome.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAMarch 21, 2016
Over all it was a great place to work, but it was hard to move up. A lot of favorites played in upper management. It would be a great starter job for anyone in college or someone fresh out of high school.
Pros
Volleyball, horsehoes at lunch. Also discounts on product second to none
Cons
Management was not pro active and hard to move up
Fun environment with productive tasks
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 13, 2016
Everyday working at REI is fairly enjoyable. I've advanced since being there for 10 months, but management is the only thing lacking in this Boise store. Promoting the wrong people for the specific job type is disappointing. I was expecting more when I started there. Other than the obvious downfall, I love what I do every day at REI. Customers are fun to talk to, and I always feel like I'm getting something done. I've learned at this job that perseverance is key and one bad day at work isn't the end of the world. There's always room for improvement. Overall, everything is enjoyable and I would recommend anyone to work at REI.
Perfect for the Time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 20, 2015
I worked at REI in college, and it was perfect for me. My coworkers were all smart and active people, our management was the same way. I made life-long friends from this job. The hardest part about working here was the expectation of selling memberships, and that is all you got rewarded for.
Pros
Work-life balance, co workers
Cons
variable schedules, selling memberships
People are really nice there but horible place to work at
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAFebruary 11, 2016
If your lucky you might get 2 or 3 days whole week and only get 10-15 hours at best usually only get 5 to 10 hours all week.management is horrible I wouldn't even call this a job. that's why I left this place take my advice don't work here at all find somewhere else.
Pros
Employs
Cons
Low Hours, managment almost everything about this place
Work/Life Balance for All!
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAJune 26, 2015
REI, whether you are at HQ, retail or a DC, promotes and prives a great work/life balance. They offer benefits, including health insurance and a ProDeal program with vendors, to ALL employees. I didn't personally try to climb the rungs, but REI values internal promotion and fosters your skills for leadership if so desired. They are a little behind the times when it comes to certain technologies, but overall I loved working for REI and I lament having to leave!
Pros
Growth from within, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, "wheels turn slowly"
Preferred
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrentwoodMarch 6, 2016
REI wants the best employees in the city or retail employees that are interesting. This job can pay your bills. Purchase a car and work another full time job. Recommend the job to people who will present at work day to day time management.
Pros
intellectual
Cons
pretentious
Love it
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 11, 2015
The culture is great the people are great. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Always put your best foot forward. Good breaks. The company really cares. the largest retail co-op in the country.
Pros
good breaks, gear discount
Noble mission and values that often don't trickle down
IT (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 12, 2016
The best employees and customers around matched with mid-level management that collectively hasn't found a way to do them justice. I'm still holding out hope for what could be.
Pros
Co-op, Mission, People, Customers
Cons
Management incentives
A fun place to work
Customer Service and Footwear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 26, 2016
The typical day at REI would consist of helping sell products to customers that need gear for outdoor pursuits. Much of the day consisted of customer service or preparing the sales floor by replenishing stock that had been sold.

The take-away that I had from this job experience is working with a wide-variety of people with different personalities. Learning how to understand the needs of a customer, and finding the products that would best-suit their needs, and enhance their experience in the outdoors with their purchases.

The best part of working at the is company is the colleagues that I worked with. Many have become life-long friends even though I haven't worked there for many years.

The hardest part of this job was probably during store-sales periods that had many customers in the store and being able to help as many as possible, yet provide good customer services.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having customers come back to thank us for helping them select the best gear for their outdoor adventures. There was a satisfaction in being a small part of helping them achieve their goals.
Pros
People, gear, fun environment
Cons
Salary
Amazing, fun, motivating
Customer service/cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 17, 2015
I loved working at REI simply because of the environment. I was able to help people who were shopping for their passions. The management was great and very good at making their employees feel motivated and striving to be better.I felt like the management really cared for me and everyone was extremely friendly.
Pros
Hour lunch break, benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Strong culture, Great environment
Retail Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  OregonAugust 25, 2015
This is a great place to work. The wheels of promotion do turn slowly however. This is the kind of place that one can go and enjoy their work place. But if you are career minded, be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops and wait while doing it.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Lack of real career development, Upper management needs to have the courage to actually promote people.

4.3