REI Employee Reviews

GREAT place to work!
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 20, 2017
Loved working at REI. Great people, great products, amazing atmosphere. I still look back at that job as one of the best. The company ethos is outstanding.
Love talking about the outdoors?
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Encinitas, CAJuly 17, 2017
Great place for outdoorsy types to interact with fellow adventurers—be they customers or coworkers. Difficult to get full-time hours and benefits. Employee discounts are worth it.
good place to work
Outdoor School In-store Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
REI generally has a decent culture, but over the past few years I have felt corporate is demanding more out of employees without the pay to match. You will get great discounts on gear but thats generally where the benefits stop unless you are one of the few full time employees.
Expertise is Fun
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Castleton, INJuly 13, 2017
REI is the best company I have ever worked for. Not only is it amazing to be accepted by all employees but it is a great basis for friendships. Work at REI and you will not regret it. It is all about the authenticity!
A Great Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 7, 2017
REI truly is a great company and a great place to work. It feels great to be a part of the Co-Op.

It is tough to advance in the company without a little luck of timing.
Best place I've ever worked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 29, 2017
Recreational Equipment Incorporated lives to its name in being a top 100 companies to work for. Wonderful team moral and management with room to move up in the business. Great customers and welcoming environment.
Pros
Multiple discounts on goods
Its all a show
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 25, 2017
Its all just a show to boost metrics and push propaganda to the public for profits. You need to in with in the “good group” to be recognized by management and get any benefits or very selective perks. Elitist customers and low life will burn out the nerve of the most seasoned sales employees. Would not recommend this company to anyone… Then again it’s a pay check.
Cool temporary job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJune 19, 2017
A typical day at REI consists of selling memberships, maintaining cleanliness of department, restocking merchandise, sharing gear knowledge, and assisting customers and members. I learned how to multitask very well. Improved interpersonal communication skills by the daily use of radios, intercoms, telephones, and engaging with customers all at the same time. Management will always be overseeing the progress of the day and how everyone is doing. The hardest part of the job is selling memberships and maintaining a high energetic disposition. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a lot of great people that loved the outdoors.
Pros
Great discounts and paid days off
Cons
Unpredictable schedule and low pay
Good Company
Front Line Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 16, 2017
Overall, REI is a great company. They hope to be a zero-waste company, but technology and efficiency are outdated so there is a lot of work to be done in regards to sustainability.

Pros: They give each employee one paid day off per year, and all employees are paid to have Black Friday off as well. Great discounts, great coworkers and friendly working environment. Flexible scheduling. Team-oriented, positive work culture. Opportunities to teach workshops and classes.

Cons: Seasonal hiring, and hours were based on performance. My location was more competitive than other stores, which didn't suit me, and I didn't like pushing products for vendor-sponsored company-wide sales competitions. Cashiering is both boring and exhausting, unless you like monotony and working quickly through long lines. Company markets itself as a green, hip, co-op, when in actuality it operates like a corporate retailer.
I LOVE this job so much
Stocking Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2017
They care about you, everyone is amazing there, and the job is super easy. I love it. 11/10

Also I'm pretty sure this will be the only job I'll ever truly love. Unless another good one comes along, this is it boys. The truly great job ever
Pros
Discounts, paid time off, sick pay, retirement plans
Cons
Not any that come to mind!
Fun place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJune 12, 2017
Great place to work with nice and friendly coworkers. Plenty of opportunity to learn new tasks in other departments. Have most weekends and holidays off.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
mandatory overtime when needed
Great Company
CUSTOMER SERVICE/SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJune 11, 2017
There is a reason REI is constantly given a high rating on the Fortunes 100 best places to work. Its a great company that inspires both employees and customers. However, it is retail and they could do a better job of compensating employees for the hard work they put into the company. If you want to work in retail, REI is where you want to be.
Great balance
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILJune 8, 2017
Rei cares about there employees. They make sure there is a balance between work and fun. I would work at rei again.
Great pro deals for employees as well. They encourage staff buting gear to test before they sell it.
Pros
Pro deals
Cons
Pay
Great company mission, daily work no longer inspiring
Merchandise Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 7, 2017
Rightfully so, the company continues to play offense in this evolving retail environment. As a Co-op, REI has a unique advantage of not playing into shareholders' needs. For these reasons, I believe the Co-op has a good chance of surviving long after many of our retail giants fold.
With a new CEO on board, the Co-op has also endured many changes that put stress on middle-management and individual contributors. We retain and attract highly competent people to work for REI, but as such, we face challenges of system limitations and a basic understanding of daily capabilities.
Pros
The Co-op's mission is its greatest asset
Cons
Culture is imploding from within, employees are no longer empowered
REI is what they say it is
Supply Chain employee (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 1, 2017
REI truly does care. REI wants to make a positive impact on people's lives. As a retailer, they struggle like many other retailers to balance overhead expense with the changing consumer markets. The people of REI are genuine.
Pros
cafeteria, stewardship projects
Cons
not nimble nor agile in developing new processes.
Not the best place to work
Clothing Stocker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 21, 2017
You get paid little to nothing, and advancement is difficult. When you do get a raise, it's usually just a few cents. The people form cliques there. I did not enjoy my time there at all.
Pros
BBQ's every once in a while
Cons
Short breaks, Low pay
Awesome company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 20, 2017
wonderful place to work. I love the people and the environment in general. actually look forward to coming into work every day and i cannot say any bad things
Good part time job for a stay at home mom
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 16, 2017
A typical day was an evening shift or day shift on weekends in clothing or foot wear departments. I learned that there are big companies out there who care about employees as people who have lives outside of work. Management was mostly good, though we did have a store manager let go while I worked there and that was upsetting to see. Workplace culture was over all positive. The hardest part of the job was getting hours since there were so many employees in the store. The most enjoyable part was having customers tell you about the trips they were going on as they were shopping for gear they needed for the trip.
Pros
I was on a work schedule that allowed me to be a stay at home mom.
Cons
Selling the memberships could be challenging.
Great people, not-so-great company
Tech I, Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 15, 2017
While the employees drawn to REI are awesome and customers generally enthusiastic and respectful, management (local and upper) consistently failed to meet needs and desires of employees, putting far too much emphasis on numbers and profit. Many people are overworked and underpaid, and many cannot get the hours they need and deserve. There is also too much emphasis on gaining members, rather than serving the members the "Co-op" already has.
Pros
Great discounts, great people
Cons
Company goals are in the wrong places
Great Company
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMay 10, 2017
Great employer that takes care of their own. Just don't expect to get a lot of hours, at least at first. Lot's of perks and benefits to being employed by REI.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3