REI Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great place to work.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 17, 2017
Great place to work, good to work with enthusiastic people. I liked the fact that I was moved around to different locations in the store so I didn't get bored or complacent.
Disappointing
Outdoor Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2017
REI was a company I was initially excited to be a part of, but I quickly realized it was not a good fit. Mismanagement and and a lack of a viable career plan helped usher me out.
A fun place to be but..
Sales Specialist/Bike Technician (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 14, 2017
The culture of REI is there but in today's world the business model it now follows is more of an average retail store feeling the struggles of today's online shopping. Great people to be around but hours are tight and management can be rough.
Productive and Fun place to be
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZSeptember 10, 2017
Great work life balance and company culture. I enjoy the autonomy to make decisions that impact my departments. Has a culture that just make all employees feel important.
Pros
Smaller Company
Cons
Small Company
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 5, 2017
It was a good place to work for being hired by a staffing agency it's a quick paced environment and your on your feet the whole time but it was overall good and the boss was nice
Pros
Cons
Long hours on feet
Fun work place with people who love the outdoors
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 5, 2017
A typical day at work was fast paced and busy. Lots of customers and questions. Would work with customers a lot outfitting them for their next adventure outside whether mountain biking, camping, climbing, skiing Etc.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
Good Place to Work but...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  UtahSeptember 5, 2017
it's retail. They can't pay you much and the hours are what they are. The people who work at REI are awesome and upper management does their best to make everyone happy. But a dollar will only go so far.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Retail life
Amazing place to work
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 29, 2017
Great people, both coworkers and the customers. Everyone supported each other and you had people to go hike and climb with on your days off! Not to mention great discounts.
Pros
free food during sales, great discounts, amazing people
Cons
you can't live off that salary, especially in northern va
fast pace job
wearhouse worker (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 28, 2017
Warehouse work it was a good starting off point so i can get to see my kids every day.I learned that i can work with little supervision. I like the management they are nice and friendly. The hardest part is that it was a night job and i missed a lot of what my kids are doing in the day time. The enjoyable part is the people i got to meet.
Pros
local so i can be close to home
Cons
late night job
Excellent Benefits; Collegiality
Administrative/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJAugust 21, 2017
As a retail manager, working for R.E.I. was fast-paced, often stressful, and demanding. However, the challenges of the job made it an exciting experience and - by forming close relationships with my coworkers - I was always supported in my workplace responsibilities, and I extended that same support to my colleagues. Retail is an excellent training ground for developing crucial professional qualities that will be carried with me throughout my career.
Cons
Demanding work schedule; the need to "be in all places at all times"
REI Santa Fe Failure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMAugust 9, 2017
Santa Fe REI is a nightmare, compared to other REI's. It is badly managed, and only the favorites are given a good position. and hours. When I worked there, hours were based on how many memberships were sold. Now apparently that had changed. They did not care about their employees as much as it seems. The Santa Fe one is a joke. I would still recommend working for REI to other people, but not the Santa Fe store.
The job culture is contagious which helps inspire and outfit the consumer.
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAAugust 8, 2017
Obtained large amounts of information to help consumers get exactly what they needed and to inspire and enjoy the great outdoors. The mobility within the company is flexible and the benefits are satisfying.
Great company
Bulk Picker/Split to Store (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 7, 2017
Wonderful company. very employee friendly and not overbearing. never once felt like a burden to go to work. takes care of employees in loads f different ways
REI was fun
Product specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 6, 2017
Almost everything but the pay and maybe a bad manager or customer was great about this place. really cool coworkers and sometime a hot manager or 2. well structured and easy to work with. couldn't afford the gear tho.
Pros
killer employee deals, hot customers.
Cons
time clock trolls. low pay
Best of the Best
Sales Specialist, Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 4, 2017
REI is the leader in Outdoor Retail!

They offer great benefits form health insurance, 401 K and employee discounts REI knows how to treat its people!

As a growing retailer there is room to advance as they are always keeping an eye out for internal talent!

No one can compare to REI when it comes to culture. They encourage all skill levels to get out side and even have a grant program for people that want try something but don't have the gear for it.

Plus the best part of REI is being an integral member of the CO OP.
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
A genuinely good company trying to be great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 27, 2017
I love the culture and sharing stories of outdoor adventures with customers. The gear is great for the most part. It would be a great company if they would pay according to their principles. They market us as "experts" but don't pay us like one. Even assistant managers can't live on their own and scrape to earn a decent living. It's a good job for college kids and retirees.
GREAT place to work!
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 20, 2017
Loved working at REI. Great people, great products, amazing atmosphere. I still look back at that job as one of the best. The company ethos is outstanding.
Love talking about the outdoors?
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Encinitas, CAJuly 17, 2017
Great place for outdoorsy types to interact with fellow adventurers—be they customers or coworkers. Difficult to get full-time hours and benefits. Employee discounts are worth it.
good place to work
Outdoor School In-store Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
REI generally has a decent culture, but over the past few years I have felt corporate is demanding more out of employees without the pay to match. You will get great discounts on gear but thats generally where the benefits stop unless you are one of the few full time employees.
Expertise is Fun
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Castleton, INJuly 13, 2017
REI is the best company I have ever worked for. Not only is it amazing to be accepted by all employees but it is a great basis for friendships. Work at REI and you will not regret it. It is all about the authenticity!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3