REI

REI Employer Reviews

Highly desirable employer
Visual Coordinator and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 3, 2015
REI is consistently on Fortune's list of the top 100 companies to work for, and one of only 10 companies to be on the list since its inception. REI is supportive and provides great benefits to its employees.
customer service
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJanuary 22, 2015
sales on tech gear for the outdoors\
greet customers
make transactions
Cheerful Environment with Great People
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great people, great gear, supportive culture
Cons: retail hours, weekends and nights
REI is a great company to work for. They really support work life balance and the people you work with are amazing. It's great that you can transfer to different stores fairly easily to experience new cities. Everyone that works there has a passion for the outdoors and a cheerful disposition.
Lots of one-on-one interactions
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Bend, ORDecember 22, 2014
If you want a job that allows you to interact with lots of people on a daily basis, this is for you. As a retail job goes, this one is good. They treat their employees fairly and believe in a true work-life balance.
REI
Sales Lead (Former Employee), Spokane, WADecember 18, 2014
Enjoyed employment here. Great employees who all enjoy what they do.
BEST STORE I EVER WORKED FOR
Customer Service Rep/Clothing Sales Rep (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 16, 2014
hands down the best company I ever worked for. Benefits were great, much opportunity for growth, although highly competitive. Typical days at work were fun. Learned a lot about what excellent customer service really was.
Really Exceptional Company to Work for Part-Time
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 10, 2014
Pros: coworkers, discounts
Cons: really strict about clocking in late, selling memberships
I definitely had a blast working at REI- the other people who I worked with were really awesome people and there was a genuine sense of camaraderie between both staff and management. The manager was always bringing lunch for the staff, lots of group outings were planned, and I made a lot of new friends working there.

The discounts are truly amazing especially since REI has access to pro-deals for almost every outdoor company. After I left, I got quite the shock that when I first realized that I now have to pay the actual price on the ticket. However, while the wages are good for the type of job, they still won't be enough to satisfy your gear craving. That's why I think working at REI is more enjoyable as a supplemental job to your regular grind.

At the end of the day, it is a retail job, so shifts can be a little bit tedious. Also selling memberships can be a bit stressful since the number you sell is used to reflect your value as an employee. Overall, though, I can't complain. Definitely one of the best companies I have worked for.
Akward
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), 49 fitzgerald street yonkers nyNovember 27, 2014
Cons: where do i start
I've never been surrounded by so many fake personalities in my life......the management seem to be racist and only gave hours to the white workers and not the ones with color.....................it's a shame that even in this day and age things are still the way they are
Best Company to work for
Senior Accountant (Contractor) (Former Employee), Kent, WANovember 25, 2014
Pros: worklife balance
Cons: no long term prospects
REI is an amazing company with a laid back environment yet very challenging. Management is great and they have a very positive attitude towards change and encourage employees to do their best.

Toughest part is to keep going despite of lack of tight deadlines and the most enjoyable part is being part of the REI culture and interacting with co-workers
Great people, low pay.
Customer Service Specialist / Sales (Current Employee), Arcadia, CANovember 14, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: limited hours equals low pay. to live in calif you will need a second job.
First off, I have never worked with a nicer group of people. Not everyone is great, but more so than anyplace else I have ever worked. The management is great across the board. Most days are busy and go by fast. Most customers are ok (typical grumpy So Cal patrons), while others are great....but some are really unpleasant. I have learned a lot about retail but the pay and limited hours make it tough to make a living in this expensive area of the USA.
Top promoter of the co-op for 5 years in a row.
Lead Customer Service (Former Employee), Hillsboro, OROctober 17, 2014
Pros: gear and repair shop discounts
Cons: no set schedules and a zero complaint policy
REI is a great organization for their stewardship in the communities.
I was blessed to work with a great staff and the most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers to find an item in the size they need even if that means calling 10 stores to locate it. Also promoting the membership was my shining moments at that job. Being a constant highest seller 5 years in a row.
Ideal for Outdoor Enthusiasts
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 3, 2014
A diverse group of employees with lots to offer. Great customers who are always fun to talk with and are appreciative of service. Great product discounts to help you get out and enjoy the outdoors.
Commited to the environment and their membership.
Buyer II (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: invests in employees by paying for their education, offers great health benefits, generous profit sharing scheme when they exceed their goals.
Cons: rei's work/life balance values have diminished considerably, as they line themselves up to compete with large corporations.
REI is true to their commitment of the outdoors, stewardship of the environment, providing high quality product, continually expands their outdoor education and programs, sincere in their commitment to the outdoors and their customers.
The corporate side at HQ is unsatisfactory
Marketing (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 16, 2014
The marketing department lacks direction and creativity, making a very frustrating work environment for those in the department.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Folsom, CASeptember 13, 2014
I loved working for REI, the pay is not so great but the people are so fun!!! Pro deals are great discounts on amazing products!
Great workplace with excellent coworkers; difficult to advance.
Camping Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Madison, WISeptember 11, 2014
Pros: easy to get time off, great coworkers, supportive management, excellent employee discounts
Cons: low wages, increasing corporate culture
Enjoyed getting to talk about my favorite gear. However, it was a retail job and we were often understaffed and having to deal with less than friendly customers. Co-workers were excellent, management was friendly and supportive. I learned quite a bit about the outdoor industry while working there and picked up some great sports. Great experience, but wouldn't work there long-term due to the difficulty to advance as well as the low wages. Also did not enjoy having to push memberships on people - took away from the REI culture I loved prior to working there.
Enjoy the work that I do.
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee), Arlington VaSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: pay and trasport
I really like working on the project that I am assigned to I have learned alot about what is needed to do this job in an effecive and efficient manner, I enjoy my coworkers the hardest part of the day is the time it take me to get to and from work/home and the pay.
Great work environment and great people
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), Northville, MIAugust 28, 2014
My typical day was working in the customer service/cashier/returns department. I was responsible for ringing up customer purchases, answering phones, placing customer orders, and handling customer returns. I also greeted people as the walked in the doors and answered phones.

The people I worked with at REI were very friendly and it was a pleasure to work with them everyday.
Fun
Lead Warehouseman (Former Employee), Spanaway, WAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: hot
it was a fun work environment alot of new events happened at the work site everyday
A wonderful place to work for those who love the outdoors
Sales Specialist, Customer Outfitter (Former Employee), Saratoga, CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: working at rei is more than a job, it is a culture and a way of life.
Cons: limited opportunities exist for advancement within the company.
REI is a retailer who specializes in some of the highest quality outdoor goods available today. Experienced, trained sales staff are primarily educators for the consumer, and are able to fit and recommend equipment for a variety of uses ranging for leisure/everyday clothing to climbing and exposure equipment for those whose journeys lead to true adventure.

1 2 3 4 5

About REI

REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. – Read more