REI Employee Reviews

Coworkers make this job great.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 22, 2016
Order picking (the job I started in) is basically, pushing a cart, counting product and putting it in a tub. Your real job is being fast and being accurate.
The management hardly dealt with laborers unless something very good happened or something very bad happened.
The hardest part of the job was scheduling. We had broken schedules most of the time and during sales, we had to word a lot of weekends. Which makes "work life balance" not work.
The best part of working at REI is your coworker. Most everyone you may encounter is willing to do their job with the best possible attitude. That (in turn) brings out the best possible you.
Pros
Benefits. Perks (Prodeals)
Cons
Poor scheduling. Little room for advancement.
Challenging environment wanting to be on the cutting edge
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 26, 2016
REI is transitioning to agile methodology for all business; software development, project / program management and corporate planning and management. All work is managed by either a scrum or Kanban board. There is little documentation, constant changing of direction, insecure staff, and little flexibility to evaluate what this change is doing to the company and the employees.The hardest part of my job is requiring others to follow the rules, processes and procedures, while management does not. Most of the employees are a complete joy to work with.
Pros
Very diverse culture, accepting of all
Cons
One track mind; inflexible; low pay
Love the outdoors?
Bicycle and Ski Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2016
Take it for what it is--this is retail. If you're working in a store, you're not going to earn much money, and your schedule is not predictable. You will work with great people who care about you and will hold you accountable to do solid work.

There's opportunity for promotion, but it seems challenging to move out of the retail environment.

The bike shop is a great place to work.

If you love the outdoors and want a very flexible work schedule, this is a great place to be.
Pros
Benefits for all employees, great gear discounts, good coworkers
Cons
Most of the cons that accompany working in retail are present
Great Place for Outdoor Enthusiast
Part-time Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 25, 2016
REI is a great job for any outdoor enthusiast.
It has very flexible work schedules to accommodate all types of outdoor activities. You can get a day off to participate in a mountain bike race. You can also get several months off to hike the Appalachian Trail. It understands that the more time employees spend outside the better sales associates they are.
Pros
Great benefits & work / life balance
Cons
low wages; little opportunity for advancement
Outdoors department store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 14, 2016
Gives you a great look into the understanding of the outdoors as well as the necessary equipment needed in certain outdoor activities. The one thing that made little sense to me was the quotes that employees had to meet for membership sales; it made a job that would have been informational and enjoyable but instead cut-throat and stressful.
The people there were mostly friendly and helpful and knowledge of not only just product but also location where you could partake in outdoor activities. Always had fun events for customers and employees as well as classes for outdoor activites
Great place to work, not great pay
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 1, 2016
I am a sales Lead at REI (first promotion). The pay is not enough to live comfortably. I am currently working 2 jobs for roughly 60 hours per week to make sure I can pay my bills. I do receive benefits since I am full time (32-40 hrs/week), which are nice. I also receive 401(k) with profit sharing and Summit Pay. Summit Pay is a bonus that everyone gets depending on how well the store/market did.
Pros
DISCOUNTS, work culture, co-workers
Cons
Pay, some overnight shifts with no shift-diff pay
Fun environment with productive tasks
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 13, 2016
Everyday working at REI is fairly enjoyable. I've advanced since being there for 10 months, but management is the only thing lacking in this Boise store. Promoting the wrong people for the specific job type is disappointing. I was expecting more when I started there. Other than the obvious downfall, I love what I do every day at REI. Customers are fun to talk to, and I always feel like I'm getting something done. I've learned at this job that perseverance is key and one bad day at work isn't the end of the world. There's always room for improvement. Overall, everything is enjoyable and I would recommend anyone to work at REI.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 14, 2016
But benefits and consideration for advancement are pretty minimal, with only two sales lead positions open that get full time and full benefits.
Fantastic, retail experience. Highly recommended.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJMarch 2, 2016
There's always something to do and the customers are fun. My store had and continues to have tremendous leadership and co-workers. There is support available if a person wants a career with REI, no matter the division. Pay is good for retail although hours may be limited for anyone less than a stellar performer (which is expected, so perform)
Pros
Culture, perks, people, activities, customers
Cons
May not be sustainable full time or interesting in the long term.
Solid Retail Establishment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 3, 2015
Good place to work with a strong management staff. Some confusing policy about just how important numbers are to your performance metrics. I think they really want it to not be important but it still really is. I love helping customers with their needs and enjoy working with my colleagues. There is a large number of employees which makes knowing everyone a little difficult but over all it's a retail establishment. Lots of variety to break up the same old thing.
Pros
Skilled management, engaging environment, benefits
Cons
Flip flopping policy, Retail politics
Awesome, progressive CEO
Supply Chain Policy and Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 21, 2016
Excellent vision from senior leadership (CEO), Lots of amazing and collaborative people, great pro-deals. Slow paced environment, engrained culture resistant to and threatened by change.
Was a fun and productive workplace
Sales Associate/Stock Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CADecember 2, 2016
REI was my longest job I ever had (6 years I worked there). I used to start my day by organizing and folding some clothes, used to stock some items/replenish some merchandises on the sales floor from the stock room. I enjoyed stocking and working in as a team, and recovery work too! Everyone was nice and friendly with me, I used to work like once or twice a week, used to be 3 times a week in the beginning though. I learned a lot about different kinds of outdoor sport stuff, and items that everyone uses there.
Pros
friendly co workers, stocking and team work
Cons
low paid/wages, not enough hours though
Fun work environment
sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2016
I really enjoy working at REI. Talking with customers about up and coming adventures and gear and preparing them for their trips is a blast. The people I work with feel like family. Managers go out of their way to make sure you are getting the hours you need and that your schedule can be accommodated.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
benefits only available to full time employees (managers)
Productive place
Associate Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 21, 2016
Very friendly co-workers, friendly environment, management is very respectful.
If you are new to the work assigned to you, it may take you some time to get used to it, and if you need assistance your co-workers, or your manager are there to assist you immediately.
Pros
Free bagel on Fridays
Cons
First floor is very cold
An amazing place to work
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 9, 2016
REI is an amazing co-op. The company actually looks out for its employees and wants them to live the work-life balance that they want.
A fun place to work
Customer Service and Footwear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 26, 2016
The typical day at REI would consist of helping sell products to customers that need gear for outdoor pursuits. Much of the day consisted of customer service or preparing the sales floor by replenishing stock that had been sold.

The take-away that I had from this job experience is working with a wide-variety of people with different personalities. Learning how to understand the needs of a customer, and finding the products that would best-suit their needs, and enhance their experience in the outdoors with their purchases.

The best part of working at the is company is the colleagues that I worked with. Many have become life-long friends even though I haven't worked there for many years.

The hardest part of this job was probably during store-sales periods that had many customers in the store and being able to help as many as possible, yet provide good customer services.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having customers come back to thank us for helping them select the best gear for their outdoor adventures. There was a satisfaction in being a small part of helping them achieve their goals.
Pros
People, gear, fun environment
Cons
Salary
Supportive work environment
Sales Associate, Bicycle Technician (Current Employee) –  Lutherville-Timonium, MDAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at work includes an opening huddle, answering customer questions about products and services, helping define the customer's wants and needs into the best possible product for them, a half hour lunch break with two intermittent 15 minutes break per 8 hourr shift. I have learned so much about interacting with the customer and discovering their needs. Management is very helpful in training and support. Co-workers are friendly and interpersonal competition is minimal. The hardest part of my job is effectively managing time on less busy days. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting people excited about the outdoors, and telling them about the benefits of membership.
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
Too few hours available
Easy going work place, friendly coworkers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAFebruary 29, 2016
I worked at REI seasonally from anywhere 4am-2pm. A typical day would start by answering phones and placing orders from customers. I learned how to manage multiple screens, and transferring phone calls to different departments. The management was very easy going, and very helpful. The coworkers I met there in those short months were some of the best, and funniest people I've ever met. The hardest part of working in a call center was dealing with rude customers over the phone. It is easier to be rude when you can't see the face of who you're talking to. The best part of the job was getting inspirational, motivational calls.
Pros
OT was approved most of the time.
Cons
Selling credit cards.
Fun and Encouraging Work Place
REI Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 9, 2016
Every day I worked was a new learning experience. My coworkers were always helpful and management answered any questions I had. I gained product knowledge and learned more about the outdoors. The hardest part of the job was continually retaining and learning about products and where they were in the store, because displays were continually changing. However, being able to share my knowledge and experience with others and help them find what they needed for their adventure was extremely rewarding.
Pros
flexible breaks, great environment, passionate employees
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals
Camping Sales Specialist (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 1, 2016
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals

Overall great working environment! Recognized as one of the "100 Best Companies" to work for. (I agree with them as being one of the best) Provides exceptional sales and customer service training
Pros
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals