REI Employee Reviews

Great Place for Outdoor Enthusiast
Part-time Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 25, 2016
REI is a great job for any outdoor enthusiast.
It has very flexible work schedules to accommodate all types of outdoor activities. You can get a day off to participate in a mountain bike race. You can also get several months off to hike the Appalachian Trail. It understands that the more time employees spend outside the better sales associates they are.
Pros
Great benefits & work / life balance
Cons
low wages; little opportunity for advancement
Love the outdoors?
Bicycle and Ski Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2016
Take it for what it is--this is retail. If you're working in a store, you're not going to earn much money, and your schedule is not predictable. You will work with great people who care about you and will hold you accountable to do solid work.

There's opportunity for promotion, but it seems challenging to move out of the retail environment.

The bike shop is a great place to work.

If you love the outdoors and want a very flexible work schedule, this is a great place to be.
Pros
Benefits for all employees, great gear discounts, good coworkers
Cons
Most of the cons that accompany working in retail are present
Outdoors department store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 14, 2016
Gives you a great look into the understanding of the outdoors as well as the necessary equipment needed in certain outdoor activities. The one thing that made little sense to me was the quotes that employees had to meet for membership sales; it made a job that would have been informational and enjoyable but instead cut-throat and stressful.
The people there were mostly friendly and helpful and knowledge of not only just product but also location where you could partake in outdoor activities. Always had fun events for customers and employees as well as classes for outdoor activites
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 14, 2016
But benefits and consideration for advancement are pretty minimal, with only two sales lead positions open that get full time and full benefits.
Productive workplace but lacks room for growth
Configuration Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 25, 2016
REI is a productive work place, with professional employees from top to bottom. There is no micro-managment, everybody goes about their business and report to the managers during the daily scrum meetings in the morning.

REI has little room for growth though especially if one has high expectations and is willing to learn and ehnace their skill sets to the next level.
Coworkers make this job great.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 22, 2016
Order picking (the job I started in) is basically, pushing a cart, counting product and putting it in a tub. Your real job is being fast and being accurate.
The management hardly dealt with laborers unless something very good happened or something very bad happened.
The hardest part of the job was scheduling. We had broken schedules most of the time and during sales, we had to word a lot of weekends. Which makes "work life balance" not work.
The best part of working at REI is your coworker. Most everyone you may encounter is willing to do their job with the best possible attitude. That (in turn) brings out the best possible you.
Pros
Benefits. Perks (Prodeals)
Cons
Poor scheduling. Little room for advancement.
Pretty Good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 17, 2016
There are positives and negatives to any job. REI has a pretty upbeat environment and decent pay for an entry level position. Overall it could be better but it could be a lot worse.
Pros
Pay, Time off, environment
Cons
Difficult Manager
A fun work environment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 12, 2016
I've only been there a year and a half and i have learned so much being there.I work in all departments except one my co-workers are great the hardest part of my job is nothing one thing that sucks is the pay isn't that great and they don't offer full time.
Pros
Great people to work with friendly customers.
Cons
Wages are not the greatest and they do not offer full time.
An amazing place to work
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 9, 2016
REI is an amazing co-op. The company actually looks out for its employees and wants them to live the work-life balance that they want.
Productive place
Associate Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 21, 2016
Very friendly co-workers, friendly environment, management is very respectful.
If you are new to the work assigned to you, it may take you some time to get used to it, and if you need assistance your co-workers, or your manager are there to assist you immediately.
Pros
Free bagel on Fridays
Cons
First floor is very cold
Fun environment with productive tasks
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 13, 2016
Everyday working at REI is fairly enjoyable. I've advanced since being there for 10 months, but management is the only thing lacking in this Boise store. Promoting the wrong people for the specific job type is disappointing. I was expecting more when I started there. Other than the obvious downfall, I love what I do every day at REI. Customers are fun to talk to, and I always feel like I'm getting something done. I've learned at this job that perseverance is key and one bad day at work isn't the end of the world. There's always room for improvement. Overall, everything is enjoyable and I would recommend anyone to work at REI.
Fast paced environment with lots of advancement oportunities.
Sales Specialist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDJune 29, 2016
It's a retail job. The only good part about it is that you can share your outdoor stories with customers that actually can learn from you.
Pros
Pro-deals, friendly staff, surronded by outdoorsy people
Cons
retail, busy customers, rude customers, CUSTOMERS
Fun work environment
sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2016
I really enjoy working at REI. Talking with customers about up and coming adventures and gear and preparing them for their trips is a blast. The people I work with feel like family. Managers go out of their way to make sure you are getting the hours you need and that your schedule can be accommodated.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
benefits only available to full time employees (managers)
Fun Place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 19, 2016
I enjoyed working at REI for the summer. They have great benefits and all their employees are awesome.
Adventurous place to work
Banker, Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 14, 2016
Great environment to work in and cross-training.My favorite part of the job was learning to bank and learning to snowboard, rock climb, and properly hike.
productive learning
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 8, 2016
we would come in check e-mails before the phone calls start. Our busy time was February we would answer lots of calls per day as well as try respond to customers via e-mail.
Cons
short breaks
The best company i have ever worked for!
Outdoor School Instructor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 11, 2016
great managers, great employees. great perks.

a day at work here was more like a day off. I love teaching people about things I enjoy like hiking, skiing, climbing etc...
Pros
fun environment, work in the outdoors
Cons
not full time
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals
Camping Sales Specialist (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 1, 2016
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals

Overall great working environment! Recognized as one of the "100 Best Companies" to work for. (I agree with them as being one of the best) Provides exceptional sales and customer service training
Pros
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals
A fun place to work
Customer Service and Footwear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 26, 2016
The typical day at REI would consist of helping sell products to customers that need gear for outdoor pursuits. Much of the day consisted of customer service or preparing the sales floor by replenishing stock that had been sold.

The take-away that I had from this job experience is working with a wide-variety of people with different personalities. Learning how to understand the needs of a customer, and finding the products that would best-suit their needs, and enhance their experience in the outdoors with their purchases.

The best part of working at the is company is the colleagues that I worked with. Many have become life-long friends even though I haven't worked there for many years.

The hardest part of this job was probably during store-sales periods that had many customers in the store and being able to help as many as possible, yet provide good customer services.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having customers come back to thank us for helping them select the best gear for their outdoor adventures. There was a satisfaction in being a small part of helping them achieve their goals.
Pros
People, gear, fun environment
Cons
Salary
Great Work Culture!!!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 4, 2016
I wish they would hire fulltime permanent positions right off the bat, but they only hire seasonal part time, and if they have openings, well, then you can get lucky enough to get the job, and it would be great if they paid more.

4.3