REI Employee Reviews

Fun place for outdoor enthusiasts to work
Sales Representative- Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 9, 2017
Fun place for outdoor enthusiasts to work. Wish there were more career opportunity and advancement. Loved my managers. Everyone who worked their seemed to be very happy.
Great Company to work for
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAOctober 5, 2017
I worked in the call center for holiday season and big sale in spring. I took calls all day with people calling in to place orders or have questions on orders.
Pros
got great deals on gear that they sold
Cons
Was only temporary.
Love rei
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 5, 2017
Wish I could make this a career, but I'm not really willing to move repeatedly for a retail job. The pay is ok for a part time job. The hours are retail hours, so that is really why I do not want to stay here forever. The culture is fantastic. The company really cares for workers and the environment. They make sure we have a good work/life balance. Wish I could get a full time day job there.
Pros
Great co-workers. Discount. Being able to dress casually at work. Benefits offered to PT folks.
Cons
Weekend and night hours. Low pay.
Amazing workplace culture
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carle Place, NYOctober 4, 2017
Amazing place work environment. They put a huge emphasis on the local community and taking care of the environment. They offer a great starting wage and very easy to get time off when I needed it.
great place to work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 1, 2017
I have worked on and off for REI for over 8 years and have enjoyed it immensely. I would and have recommended people to REI on several occassions and will continue to.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 29, 2017
If you aren't concerned about being able to pay for rent then this is the place to work. Vacation is not only allowed and supported but encouraged. Healthy lifestyles and work balance are important to the company. REI puts its money where its mouth is in terms of environmentally friendly goals, supporting local outdoor community, and backing up its product.
Pros
great coworkers, awesome culture, stands up for beliefs, sweet discounts
Cons
not many hours, in store retail is not going to be around forever
Great Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MASeptember 27, 2017
I enjoyed working at REI. Great staff, good product, good company overall. I enjoyed working with others and sharing my experience with my fellow employees
Pros
Great Discount, Good Staff
Cons
Tough Holiday Hours, Understaffed At Times
Outdoor Instructor
Outdoor Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  East Hanover, NJSeptember 26, 2017
This is a great company to work for. People don't work here for the money, you don't make much, but you get a great discount at the store, meet great people, learn a lot about the equipment and outdoor skills so that you can enjoy a life outdoors, which is ultimately what it's all about.
Great place to work.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 17, 2017
Great place to work, good to work with enthusiastic people. I liked the fact that I was moved around to different locations in the store so I didn't get bored or complacent.
Disappointing
Outdoor Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2017
REI was a company I was initially excited to be a part of, but I quickly realized it was not a good fit. Mismanagement and and a lack of a viable career plan helped usher me out.
A fun place to be but..
Sales Specialist/Bike Technician (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 14, 2017
The culture of REI is there but in today's world the business model it now follows is more of an average retail store feeling the struggles of today's online shopping. Great people to be around but hours are tight and management can be rough.
Productive and Fun place to be
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZSeptember 10, 2017
Great work life balance and company culture. I enjoy the autonomy to make decisions that impact my departments. Has a culture that just make all employees feel important.
Pros
Smaller Company
Cons
Small Company
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 5, 2017
It was a good place to work for being hired by a staffing agency it's a quick paced environment and your on your feet the whole time but it was overall good and the boss was nice
Pros
Cons
Long hours on feet
Fun work place with people who love the outdoors
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 5, 2017
A typical day at work was fast paced and busy. Lots of customers and questions. Would work with customers a lot outfitting them for their next adventure outside whether mountain biking, camping, climbing, skiing Etc.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
Good Place to Work but...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  UtahSeptember 5, 2017
it's retail. They can't pay you much and the hours are what they are. The people who work at REI are awesome and upper management does their best to make everyone happy. But a dollar will only go so far.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Retail life
Amazing place to work
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 29, 2017
Great people, both coworkers and the customers. Everyone supported each other and you had people to go hike and climb with on your days off! Not to mention great discounts.
Pros
free food during sales, great discounts, amazing people
Cons
you can't live off that salary, especially in northern va
fast pace job
wearhouse worker (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 28, 2017
Warehouse work it was a good starting off point so i can get to see my kids every day.I learned that i can work with little supervision. I like the management they are nice and friendly. The hardest part is that it was a night job and i missed a lot of what my kids are doing in the day time. The enjoyable part is the people i got to meet.
Pros
local so i can be close to home
Cons
late night job
Excellent Benefits; Collegiality
Administrative/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJAugust 21, 2017
As a retail manager, working for R.E.I. was fast-paced, often stressful, and demanding. However, the challenges of the job made it an exciting experience and - by forming close relationships with my coworkers - I was always supported in my workplace responsibilities, and I extended that same support to my colleagues. Retail is an excellent training ground for developing crucial professional qualities that will be carried with me throughout my career.
Cons
Demanding work schedule; the need to "be in all places at all times"
REI Santa Fe Failure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMAugust 9, 2017
Santa Fe REI is a nightmare, compared to other REI's. It is badly managed, and only the favorites are given a good position. and hours. When I worked there, hours were based on how many memberships were sold. Now apparently that had changed. They did not care about their employees as much as it seems. The Santa Fe one is a joke. I would still recommend working for REI to other people, but not the Santa Fe store.
The job culture is contagious which helps inspire and outfit the consumer.
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAAugust 8, 2017
Obtained large amounts of information to help consumers get exactly what they needed and to inspire and enjoy the great outdoors. The mobility within the company is flexible and the benefits are satisfying.