REI Employee Reviews

Not the best place to work
Clothing Stocker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 21, 2017
You get paid little to nothing, and advancement is difficult. When you do get a raise, it's usually just a few cents. The people form cliques there. I did not enjoy my time there at all.
Pros
BBQ's every once in a while
Cons
Short breaks, Low pay
Awesome company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 20, 2017
wonderful place to work. I love the people and the environment in general. actually look forward to coming into work every day and i cannot say any bad things
Good part time job for a stay at home mom
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 16, 2017
A typical day was an evening shift or day shift on weekends in clothing or foot wear departments. I learned that there are big companies out there who care about employees as people who have lives outside of work. Management was mostly good, though we did have a store manager let go while I worked there and that was upsetting to see. Workplace culture was over all positive. The hardest part of the job was getting hours since there were so many employees in the store. The most enjoyable part was having customers tell you about the trips they were going on as they were shopping for gear they needed for the trip.
Pros
I was on a work schedule that allowed me to be a stay at home mom.
Cons
Selling the memberships could be challenging.
Great people, not-so-great company
Tech I, Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 15, 2017
While the employees drawn to REI are awesome and customers generally enthusiastic and respectful, management (local and upper) consistently failed to meet needs and desires of employees, putting far too much emphasis on numbers and profit. Many people are overworked and underpaid, and many cannot get the hours they need and deserve. There is also too much emphasis on gaining members, rather than serving the members the "Co-op" already has.
Pros
Great discounts, great people
Cons
Company goals are in the wrong places
Great Company
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMay 10, 2017
Great employer that takes care of their own. Just don't expect to get a lot of hours, at least at first. Lot's of perks and benefits to being employed by REI.
No longer a Co-op Mentality
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 10, 2017
Compensation was on par with other companies, however job security is a thing of the past. With new management and a cut throat environment - every one is always concerned with job security. Working under that type of stress makes it difficult to enjoy the perks of the company.
Pros
Pto, health insurance, discount
Cons
job security, cut throat environment, did i mention job security
Coworkers Awesome
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 5, 2017
All I can say is that I had the best coworkers. Sadly this doesn't always mean the best management, and there were shady things that started to go down towards the end of my time there. The hours were also extremely difficult to get, even with full availability. High expectations for low pay.
Pros
coworkers, prodeals
Cons
High expectations for low pay, difficult to get hours, management
Best Retail Environment
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 27, 2017
As far as retail goes, this company treats it's employees pretty well. Pay is good for retail, and discounts are very good. Benefits are also good. Outdoor industry companies often attract like-minded people that don't often have difficulties in working together.
Fun and inspiring place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 27, 2017
The best job I ever had! Wonderful workplace culture, supportive and empowering management, inspiring stewardship, care for the environment and great gear prodeals,
Pros
Gear prodeals
Cons
Periodic layoffs
Interesting
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 21, 2017
When I first started working at REI back in 2003 of August I didn't know a lot about the company. My job consist hanging the clothes , secure tag them , help put away shoes and bring out product on the floor and help customers with finding items
Pros
Benefits and bonus checks
Cons
Hours being cut dramtically
They suck.
Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAApril 19, 2017
They try to portray the eco friendly tree hugger. But are just like any other company out there. managers covering each others backs with no regard to the overall well being of the people they manage. production ratings that put you in a position so you need to cut your coworkers throat in order to even be considered for a half descent raise.
Pros
good benefits and vacation time system.
Cons
TERRRIBLE raises and HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!!!!
Productive and fun place to work
Marking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAApril 18, 2017
Great work atmosphere, contests, team building exercises. Management provide a fitness room for staff to exercise if they want to. Ability to cross train in various positions.
A great company
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COApril 17, 2017
Excellent company culture as well as a good dedication to live the values set forth by corporate. Real people, excellent products and a great place to work if you align with the lifestyle.
Great training and support
Seasonal Sales Call Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 14, 2017
I am grateful for the opportunity to work at REI. I love that REI is a coop, and I love the quality products and the care we give to our members and customers. The work environment is clean and well organized. I have received excellent training and training support once I began working on the phones. I love the team spirit there and find my co-workers to be very pleasant and helpful. The pay is good, and I love the special discounts and deals we get as employees. I love the on-site cafeteria too. I have really enjoyed my employment at REI.
Excellent Team Members
Footwear/Clothing Tema Member (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 6, 2017
A great company to work for with work life balance and support from leadership. Provided excellent training for new employees on your job and REI as a company.
Great place for a first internship.
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 6, 2017
I learned more then I could put into words. It was an amazing experience. Very friendly people and a great work environment. Company strongly believes in a work/life balance.
Pros
Great campus, on site gym and cafe.
Would work here again in a heartbeat
Frontline/ Action Sports Specialist; Shipper (Former Employee) –  Reading, MAApril 2, 2017
I can't say enough about REI as a company. I always felt like they were looking out for me from the department manager to the corporate members I may have dealt with. You are among people who share the same interests and end up making great friends. They had a policy that you couldn't cross-train within 6 months of starting in a new department but through hard-work and showing initiative I was able to train in 3 departments within 1 year
Pros
Management willing to help with everything. Plenty of room to advance to other departments.
Cons
Retail hours and often part-time positions only
Fantastic Place to Work
Sales Representative - Women's Clothing Dept (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2017
What a great job. The only downside was poor compensation. However, incredible working environment. Great co-workers. OK Management - sometimes GREAT Management. Amazing perks and discounts. Fun, productive, creative job...
Pros
co-workers, work environment, discounts
Cons
pay
If you have to work retail this is the place to do it
Shipping & Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 24, 2017
Retail is a hard job - the hours and dealing with difficult customers can be tough - but REI does very well supporting their employees. They provide great health insurance, retirement plans, and paid vacation. The best thing about REI, though, is the other people working there. Everyone is excited about getting out and doing things. There is always a community to explore and adventure with. Working is a means to an end - and REI understands that life happens outside of their four walls.
Outdoor fanatics w/extreme knowledge
Soft Sales (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2017
Understanding use, material, and applications for all outdoor recreation equipment. Inspiring each customer to “get outside and play.” Organization skills as well as an outgoing personality are a must.
Pros
paid days off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3