REI

REI Employer Reviews

Best Company to work for
Senior Accountant (Contractor) (Former Employee), Kent, WANovember 25, 2014
Pros: worklife balance
Cons: no long term prospects
REI is an amazing company with a laid back environment yet very challenging. Management is great and they have a very positive attitude towards change and encourage employees to do their best.

Toughest part is to keep going despite of lack of tight deadlines and the most enjoyable part is being part of the REI culture and interacting with co-workers
Great people, low pay.
Customer Service Specialist / Sales (Current Employee), Arcadia, CANovember 14, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: limited hours equals low pay. to live in calif you will need a second job.
First off, I have never worked with a nicer group of people. Not everyone is great, but more so than anyplace else I have ever worked. The management is great across the board. Most days are busy and go by fast. Most customers are ok (typical grumpy So Cal patrons), while others are great....but some are really unpleasant. I have learned a lot about – more... retail but the pay and limited hours make it tough to make a living in this expensive area of the USA. – less
Top promoter of the co-op for 5 years in a row.
Lead Customer Service (Former Employee), Hillsboro, OROctober 17, 2014
Pros: gear and repair shop discounts
Cons: no set schedules and a zero complaint policy
REI is a great organization for their stewardship in the communities.
I was blessed to work with a great staff and the most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers to find an item in the size they need even if that means calling 10 stores to locate it. Also promoting the membership was my shining moments at that job. Being a constant highest – more... seller 5 years in a row. – less
Ideal for Outdoor Enthusiasts
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAOctober 3, 2014
A diverse group of employees with lots to offer. Great customers who are always fun to talk with and are appreciative of service. Great product discounts to help you get out and enjoy the outdoors.
Commited to the environment and their membership.
Buyer II (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: invests in employees by paying for their education, offers great health benefits, generous profit sharing scheme when they exceed their goals.
Cons: rei's work/life balance values have diminished considerably, as they line themselves up to compete with large corporations.
REI is true to their commitment of the outdoors, stewardship of the environment, providing high quality product, continually expands their outdoor education and programs, sincere in their commitment to the outdoors and their customers.
The corporate side at HQ is unsatisfactory
Marketing (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 16, 2014
The marketing department lacks direction and creativity, making a very frustrating work environment for those in the department.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Folsom, CASeptember 13, 2014
I loved working for REI, the pay is not so great but the people are so fun!!! Pro deals are great discounts on amazing products!
Great workplace with excellent coworkers; difficult to advance.
Camping Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Madison, WISeptember 11, 2014
Pros: easy to get time off, great coworkers, supportive management, excellent employee discounts
Cons: low wages, increasing corporate culture
Enjoyed getting to talk about my favorite gear. However, it was a retail job and we were often understaffed and having to deal with less than friendly customers. Co-workers were excellent, management was friendly and supportive. I learned quite a bit about the outdoor industry while working there and picked up some great sports. Great experience, but – more... wouldn't work there long-term due to the difficulty to advance as well as the low wages. Also did not enjoy having to push memberships on people - took away from the REI culture I loved prior to working there. – less
Enjoy the work that I do.
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee), Arlington VaSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: pay and trasport
I really like working on the project that I am assigned to I have learned alot about what is needed to do this job in an effecive and efficient manner, I enjoy my coworkers the hardest part of the day is the time it take me to get to and from work/home and the pay.
Great work environment and great people
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), Northville, MIAugust 28, 2014
My typical day was working in the customer service/cashier/returns department. I was responsible for ringing up customer purchases, answering phones, placing customer orders, and handling customer returns. I also greeted people as the walked in the doors and answered phones.

The people I worked with at REI were very friendly and it was a pleasure to – more... work with them everyday. – less
Fun
Lead Warehouseman (Former Employee), Spanaway, WAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: hot
it was a fun work environment alot of new events happened at the work site everyday
A wonderful place to work for those who love the outdoors
Sales Specialist, Customer Outfitter (Former Employee), Saratoga, CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: working at rei is more than a job, it is a culture and a way of life.
Cons: limited opportunities exist for advancement within the company.
REI is a retailer who specializes in some of the highest quality outdoor goods available today. Experienced, trained sales staff are primarily educators for the consumer, and are able to fit and recommend equipment for a variety of uses ranging for leisure/everyday clothing to climbing and exposure equipment for those whose journeys lead to true adventure.
Great second job/never a first
Customer Service Rep/Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee), Kennewick, WAAugust 7, 2014
Pros: pro deals
Cons: pay, hours, and management
REI started out with great integrity but as the years have flown by it is obvious that this has slipped considerably. I think they have forgotten their core values when it comes to their employees. Politics in the work place are plentiful, favoritism is the norm. Their management training is greatly lacking in the teaching of people skills and how to – more... put people before the situation. The profit margins and numbers are where their focus has turned and it is so sad to see. They throw people in positions that have not been screened well. This results in high costs to the company as employees are quitting right and left because they can't work with someone who has no business being in management. Their pay raises are typical for retail, a .25 cent raise is average each year. They do have insurance for employees working 20 hours or more which is nice but your hours fluctuate so drastically that its not worth signing up for. You have to maintain the 20 or more hours each quarter to keep it. But there is no guarantee from one week to the next that you will be able to keep it. Coworkers can be real enjoyable as long as you don't have spies mixed in. This has been known to happen. HR is slow to act on reports of gross misconduct of management. Over all if I was to be able to change jobs (which I am trying to do) I would work for any other company than REI. – less
Seasonal Position, was temporary during the holiday season
Call Center Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kent, WAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: earned extra income, fun atmosphere, sales contests, great employee discount
Cons: great employee discount, would spend my paycheck on great buys, 4:00am start time, had one very loud csr that most of us couldn't hear our customers when she was there
Great company to work for yet wasn't looking to go Full-Time there. Great employee discounts too.

Answered calls coming in from all the US from customers wanting to place catalogue orders by phone. The system was very user friendly in walking us through the process to place their order. Also used sales skills to offer other products to go with their – more... current purchase.

Worked 20-35 hours a week.

Left on good terms being that the position was seasonal & I did not request to be considered for full-time. – less
Fun workplace.
Retail Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Concord, CAAugust 4, 2014
Pros: great coworkers and awesome discounts.
Cons: not so much opportunity for growth.
If you want to be in retail business, REI is a good place to be. The people are nice and the benefits are great. Even if you’re a part-time worker, you’re eligible for benefits.
Great place to work, with fun coworkers and customers
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Reading, MAJuly 29, 2014
I worked as a Customer Service Specialist and I liked it more than I thought I would. They are not scared to give you real responsibility. The managers and coworkers were great and the customers were generally pleasant. Pay is good too.
Fun Workplace with a Great Work/Life Balance
Sales Associate (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 18, 2014
Responsibilities:
• Assisted customers with equipment related questions
• Taught classes, subjects included lightweight backpacking and summer hiking
• Volunteered with outreach coordinators at public parks
• Operated cash registers, helped customers with returns and checkouts
• Facilitated bike maintenance by doing an basic assessment of work needed
 – more... Helped maintain an accurate inventory

Accomplishments:
• Nominated for the Anderson Award
• Employed during the duration of my graduate studies
• My work provided customers with much needed knowledge – less
Enjoyed learning the geo tech industry
Front desk cashier/ stock (Former Employee), Plano, TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: first time experience with a tech company. great employees and management.
Cons: had to leave for school
Really enjoyed this enviroment. Enjoyed taking soil samples and learning what was done with them.
REI
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 9, 2014
REI is a great company to work for. Opportunities for growth are very limited.
Horrific Corporate Environment
Director of Creative Strategy (Former Employee), Kent, WAJune 27, 2014
Pros: deals on gear
Cons: everything
I won't speak to working in the stores. I'm sure that's dependent on the particular store manager, but I doubt it's a good job. Considering what the corporate employees make and the cost-cutting measures going on there, kiddies, seriously, don't look to REI as a place where you will rise up from the store floor. It just ain't gonna happen.

I don't – more... know if this company ever promoted on merits, but it suffered from an old boys network of the original co-op founders for a long time. At least in that context, work/life balance and getting outside to actually use the gear was a consideration. Now, its just lip service.
This company doesnt sell stock because it's a co-op. Well, their burn rate of wasted money is pretty severe, so it's a miracle that what's coming in can even begin to cover it. However, do they look to the inefficiency of bad managers? No, of course, they look to chopping off employees who have any time and vacation accrued.

Corporate REI suffers from a rotting internal culture where the directors aren't interested in creativity, but just beating their corporate employees until good ideas come out, and then they cherry-pick those ideas, repackage them as their own, as well as ones they get from external creative houses, which they overspend on to an insane degree. They overspend on lavish parties and travel with these big-name design and architectural firms while they bleed their own employees dry. Serious ageism is going on, even though many of the corporate managers are not spring chickens, but Gen-Xers. The seriously old people are long gone. You won't make retirement at this company, no matter how much they sell you on it. Forget that.

Is this the typical corporate story? Fine. Just don't think REI is any different than Cabela's or Nordstrom's. You don't want a job in retail, period. Get a skill that puts you in the driver's seat, because you won't get trained in anything at REI that doesn't put you into another horrific retail environment where margins are thin. They will work you to the bone doing the most inane tasks. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About REI

REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. – Read more